• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North on UC4- 8mths of Hennig's story/performance work was thrown away

Kinyou

thelastofusbrucestraley.png
Keep her safe Bruce, keep her safe!

I still totally expect this to happen. I hope not since they already played this story angle before in Uncharted Vita.

Even Sam almost looks like Dante:
The first time I saw Sam I thought "yep, he's a bad guy"

But maybe they also want to play with that expectation.

I think directors generally get the most credit or blame. When people are critical of Uncharted 3, they generally point the finger at Justin Richmond rather than he and Amy. He was the director so criticism falls on his shoulders. Same thing with something like FFXIII. All the criticism goes to Toriyama. In the end, Amy directed U1, Bruce did U2 and Justin did U3.

really? all i see here are people happy she's gone because they didn't like uc3.

amy was creative director and writer for all 3 of them. people seem to forget that, or actively try to downplay her major role in uc2.

if you liked uc2, amy was creative director *and* lead writer for that.

http://creativeskillset.org/job_roles_and_stories/job_roles/328_creative_director_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_director#Video_games

the same way jaffe was game director for gow1, but creative director for gow2 (and cory was game director).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I could go for some Star Wars games starring Kyle Katarn pre Jedi Knight where you do crazy dangerous missions for the Rebel Alliance. Aka pls Reboot Dark Forces. Whatever it is I hope Hennig brings her A-Game (I'm kind of a fan, as my avatar might suggest :p )

jett

D-Member
I have full confidence in Straleymann.

The AssCreed info North dropped was probably more interesting. Fucking Ubisoft just couldn't let Patrice do his thing.

If you're a big fan of Amy Hennig with her styles of stories, the big thing bout her is that she's gone to EA and is going to reboot a brand new Star Wars franchise in the style of Uncharted and I happen to know a lot about it and it's gonna be awesome

Bountyh.jpg

Believe.

A-V-B

Man, the Assassin's Creed stuff he talks about is crushing. What he describes (Desmond becoming the ultimate assassin) was so obviously where they should have went and where they were going until they completely fucked it all up. It would have been amazing at this point to play a modern day AC with Desmond as the main character using what he learned. Now a big part of what made the games more intriguing than the usually open world stuff seems basically gone.

Utterly heart breaking stuff :(

AAK

Personally just wish the project got cancelled with Henning's departure and ND focused on whatever IP Team 2 was originally working on.

It was so painfully obvious from the very first game that this is where they were going with the story - leading up to a final modern day showdown with Desmond utilizing everything he'd learned through the Animus over the course of the series.
Then they just HAD to contort the hell out of the plot to dilute it, make it infinitely stretchable and aimless so they could milk as many settings and as much money out of the brand name as possible.

I've never seen a promising concept and a fairly intriguing character amount to absolutely nothing like what happened with Desmond and Assassin's Creed.

Don't even get me started on what they did to Lucy, either - writing her out of the plot simultaneously casually, callously and dramatically, then giving you all the actual backstory and motivations as DLC to a game that she wasn't even in.

Now Assassin's Creed has spent multiple games just cleaning up its own mess and trying to course correct a sinking ship that they'd shot full of holes themselves.

Nailed it

Chamber

love on your sleeve
*shrug*

UC4 is in incredibly capable hands and Amy will probably make an excellent Star Wars game with Visceral. Can't say I'm too upset with how the situation worked out.

Mononoke

Banned
Maybe for the best? I love Hennigs past work. But was not a fan of UC3 which she Directed and wrote. Unless more went on behind the scenes with UC3. But the script felt like the biggest problem. Druckmann and Straley were both apart of UC2 and not UC3. :/

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe for the best? I love Hennigs past work. But was not a fan of UC3 which she Directed and wrote. Unless more went on behind the scenes with UC3. But the script felt like the biggest problem. Druckmann and Straley were both apart of UC2 and not UC3.

Amy was the writer & creative director for UC2 as well. UC3 was rushed because Sony wanted the game to be out in November 2011, & a key VA left the project.

Fbh

Makes sense to me.

Plus the current team is talented. the E3 demo looked amazing and I hear people saying the second part they showed behind closed doors was even better

Personally just wish the project got cancelled with Henning's departure and ND focused on whatever IP Team 2 was originally working on.

While I would've loved for them to focus on a new IP (especially after TLoU), that would have meant pouring all the millions they've surely invested on the project down the drain. Besides, Uncharted is a beloved franchise and I think it deserves a proper send-off!

Dryk

This is the most disappointing thing in the entire article. Damnit Activision.
High Moon's story is pretty tragic. They made three solid, faithful licensed games then got kicked downstairs to work on Call of Duty ports while their claim to fame franchise is farmed out and goes to complete shit.

People were calling Deadpool's problems as Activision's fault because of High Moon's pedigree and the fact that what game there was was solid. Though I suppose not wanting to give it more time makes sense seeing as they dropped the license six months after release. If they'd let it have enough time in the oven it wouldn't have had room to make its money back.

emalord

I can see why and I see no bad in that.

I'm fully aware of Druckmann/Straley goodness and if they thought Uncharted's final chapter deserved better, well I see no problem in that.

To be fair I saw Uncharted3 as a step back compared to UC2 (damn that plastic-fake CharaDesign still irks me today) so Im pretty confident this last chapter will blow us away

Note: not saying StraCkmann bombed Amy directly, maybe they convinced Wells and the french CEO (don't remember his name now) they could do better and they won the pitch

yurinka

Who knows, maybe they throw away Uncharted 3-quality level stuff to the garbage bin to add The Last of Use-quality level stuff.

In any case, I'll be happy with U4.

dEvAnGeL

people saying druckmann is better than hennig is funny, both are incredible talented, is a shame that after hennig gave so much to ND she outed the studio the way she did, and don't forget who wrote the characters we all love in the uncharted series, it was her

jett

D-Member
people saying druckmann is better than hennig is funny, both are incredible talented, is a shame that after hennig gave so much to ND she outed the studio the way she did, and don't forget who wrote the characters we all love in the uncharted series, it was her

When TLOU has better writing and characterization than any Uncharted game...well, I don't think it's funny at all to say that.

I get the inkling that Uncharted 4 was originally intended to be darker than it is now under Straley and Druckmann's direction, but there's not much to go on so I'm just talking out of my ass.
You think that Straley and Druckmann are going to lighten the mood of the game?
I thought in general everyone's fear when TLOU team came on board to finish the game was that they were going to make the game too "dark".

Eggbok

'reboot a brand new Star Wars franchise'

So before Disney bought Star Wars 1313 was going to be a Boba Fett origin type story. Then Disney buys Star Wars and decides to turn that idea into a movie. The Boba Fett movie was supposed to release after VII but that was pushed back and replaced with Rogue One.

Which means they probably won't be releasing a Boba Fett game anytime soon. And sine Star Wars Rogue One is foused on soliders it could certainly be a game based on that. Especially since Yavin is a big forest moon which is the perfect location for an Uncharted like game.

0WMLwPO.jpg

RXjfAM8.jpg

Playing as a Rebel/ Rebel Pilot, Ally, etc. trying to escape from Imperials on Yavin and going to other planets is a pretty dope Idea for a game tbh.

Not really funny. TLOU writing is far better than anything she wrote. Whether he can do that several times is another story. I would say half of Drake is her and the other half is NN who made the character his own and added many little things himself that made us love Drake even more. I`m sure the game she is working on with EA will be great as well, but Druckmann right now is in his own league

The crazy thing about this is it sounds like all the jokes we were making. The Last of Us guys coming in and clearing house. The way he says 8 months of work scrapped, them removing people from the project, and the way he says "new people want to make it their own" basically says they came in and made it clear this was their game now.

Not necessarily saying any of this is bad, as who knows what the original UC4 looked like. Maybe it was awful. But its kind of crazy hearing what we were joking about is actually what was going down. I really wonder what the original project looked like and why Naughty Dog / Sony wanted a complete rework

When TLOU has better writing and characterization than any Uncharted game...well, I don't think it's funny at all to say that.

Not really funny. TLOU writing is far better than anything she wrote. Whether he can do that several times is another story. I would say half of Drake is her and the other half is NN who made the character his own and added many little things himself that made us love Drake even more. I`m sure the game she is working on with EA will be great as well, but Druckmann right now is in his own league

they're different genres. that's like comparing indiana jones to walking dead.

comparison is just nonsense. like, i can't even see how a popcorn flick game is being compared to a gritty, dark one. especially the characters. yeah, joel displayed deeper, more grounded emotions but that was the point of the game. you won't ever see an indiana jones-type of character brooding about his newfound meaning in life.

and druckmann being in his own league. talk about hyperbole.

I'm so excited to grab this when I pick up a ps4 later this year, I'm mostly an Xbox guy but these games are just so damn good, I've played through all of them on PS3 and I got really into two's multiplayer.

jett

D-Member
Both were written with a different tone in mind, they're not comparable.

comparison is just nonsense.

Sure you can, just how I can also say that the vast majority of Lucasarts' classic adventure games have orders of magnitude better writing than the most of the "serious" AAA drivel that is shat out every year, despite being completely different in "tone."

Also, Druckmann got better performances out of his actors. Amy wasn't even involved in that aspect of the Uncharted games, they hired a stage director for that.

I wonder why Ubisoft dropped the Desmond storyline so completely?

I guess because they were intent on making the franchise a yearly, multi-team thing, but mostly because Desilets quit and they had no further plans for the character.

Horohoro

WOOT reboot of a star wars franchise in the vein of Uncharted!

It has to be Jedi Knight 3 right guys!

Jedi_Outcast_pc_cover.jpg

A reboot of this game in uncharted like styling?

In my veins!

Sure you can.

Also, Druckmann got better performances out of his actors. Amy wasn't even involved in that aspect of the Uncharted games, they hired a stage director for that.

I guess because they were intent on making the franchise a yearly, multi-team thing, but mostly because Desilets quit.

no, you can't. unless you always think joel-type of characters and tlou-type of settings and plot are always better than an uncharted-type.

if nate was written as dark and as serious as joel, then it ceases to become an uncharted game. simple as that.

jett

D-Member
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-4-development-set-back-eight-months-by-a/1100-6428494/

Uncharted 4 Development Set Back Eight Months By Amy Hennig's Departure, Says Voice Actor

lol holy shit this is some spin.

And of course it's just another alleged journalist trolling NeoGAF for news that won't bother pointing out the source of the information.

"pretty much known" is different then someone outright saying it...

We knew the actor originally hired for the part was Amy's friend and that he left when she was fired. It's not news.

no, you can't. unless you always think joel-type of characters and tlou-type of settings and plot are always better than an uncharted-type.

if nate was written as dark and as serious as joel, then it ceases to become an uncharted game. simple as that.

If the game is anything like that teaser we got at E3 2 years ago then its going to be a lot darker. The way Nolan says the "tone is different" from Amy's basically confirms that to me. I'm sure it will still have its light hearted and funny moments but I think people should be prepared for a more grim take on the franchise.

I'm actually ok with that as long as they don't totally abandon the feeling of the original trilogy of games

comparison is just nonsense. like, i can't even see how a popcorn flick game is being compared to a gritty, dark one. especially the characters. yeah, joel displayed deeper, more grounded emotions but that was the point of the game. you won't ever see an indiana jones-type of character brooding about his newfound meaning in life.

Sigh.. Uncharted 3 had by far the worst writing of all three games, the ones she lead and Druckmann was not a part of. He`s also written one of the best storylines in a videogame, she hasn`t and is 20 years older. It`s not like Uncharted is the only franchise she`s written, she existed beforehand as well.

Druckmann is just a better writer (as of now). Whether he keeps it up is another story for the future to unfold and tell us. She`s still one of the best writers in the game.

If the game is anything like that teaser we got at E3 2 years ago then its going to be a lot darker. The way Nolan says the "tone is different" from Amy's basically confirms that to me. I'm sure it will still have its light hearted and funny moments but I think people should be prepared for a more grim take on the franchise.

I'm actually ok with that as long as they don't totally abandon the feeling of the original trilogy of games

uncharteds have always had a dark undertone. and is always a contrast with nate. also, the first teasers were also not the most jolly.

when you look at moments in uc1-3, a lot of it are not joyful. it is mostly focused around danger and mystery. finding skeletons and corpses, being trapped, etc. always apparent during exploration and solo adventures. there was always a clear separation between action moments i.e. gunfights and set-pieces. but apart from those, a lot of it are more "dark" (for a lack of better word).

i have always looked at it as looking at a beautiful piece but then looking at that one strange spot and sensing that something is off. it's that feeling that encapsulates a lot of moments in uc1-3. a lot of those come across during puzzles, traversal exploration, reveals.

uncharteds have always had a dark undertone. and is always a contrast with nate. also, the first teasers were also not the most jolly.

when you look at moments in uc1-3, a lot of it are not joyful. it is mostly focused around danger and mystery. finding skeletons and corpses, being trapped, etc. always apparent during exploration and solo adventures. there was always a clear separation between action moments i.e. gunfights and set-pieces. but apart from those, a lot of it are more "dark" (for a lack of better word).

i have always looked at it as looking at a beautiful piece but then looking at that one strange spot and sensing that something is off. it's that feeling that encapsulates a lot of moments in uc1-3. a lot of those come across during puzzles, traversal exploration, reveals.

Yeah but Nolan straight up says the tone is different. Also notice how much more muted the colors are in gameplay we've seen. Still have lots of colors but the general look is far less "vibrant and saturated"

If UC4 isn't the darkest Uncharted game thematically i will be shocked

Top Bottom