• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

daveo42

Banned
I feel like that was common knowledge. Unsure if it was ever officially mentioned though.

ND has stated that if there was a story they wanted to tell and it was worth telling, they'd make TLoU2. My hope is it doesn't deal with Joel and Ellie. In my mind, at least, that story is over.

Stiler

I think a sequel could be great.

My idea of how it could work:

Have the game take place years later where TLOU ended. Ellie is grown up now (In her mid-late 20's), Joel is older and something happens nad he ends up kicking the bucket early in the game.

Then after this Ellie decides to finally follow through with what she wanted to do. She tries to track down the scientist (or what she can find) so she can help them try to cure the disease

Even then, a sequel doesn't actually HAVE to be about Ellie.

What if the sequel was actually based around Ish? (The guy from the Sewer area in TLOU)?

I think that'd be quite amazing, to follow his sotryline from there into what "happened" to them all.

I mean in TLOU we know that:

Ish survives, makes it out of the sewers along with a few other people. After that we don't know anymore, so it's an open book on what happens to them an dI Think it might be good to see them base a storyline on that, even somehow have it tie back into Ellie's storyline or something down the road (Maybe have Ish end up partnering with Ellie after Joel and they try to help get her somewhere to find a cure).

fedexpeon

Banned
I want to know more about Joel and Tommy.
Their backstory must be really interesting on how the brother decided to split apart and live away from each other.

tioslash

Not really surprising. Aside from this and the Linkedin profiles, one of ND´s co-presidents confirmed in a interview in June 2014 that they have another project on the scale of Uncharted in very early pre-production stages (I would assume it´s TLOU2).

If I had to guess, I would say TLOU 2 will be released anywhere between Holiday 2017 and Summer 2018, and then we´ll finally see a new IP.

they've all been mascots since the 7th gen, but with tlou showing up late and on Ps4 as well, I think she's solidifying her place.

btw...there needs to be a psasbr sequel.

Verendus hinted we will get another PlayStation mascot fighting game. I don't think it will be a direct sequel though.

I want to know more about Joel and Tommy.
Their backstory must be really interesting on how the brother decided to split apart and live away from each other.

Could be a prequel and sequel. An idea I had was an old ally of Joel coming back. Flesh out Joel, Tommy, and the villain with flashbacks, while an older Ellie has to deal with the villain.

Verendus hinted we will get another PlayStation mascot fighting game. I don't think it will be a direct sequel though.
Maybe that is a good thing. If that means that it won't have the same title and the same game mechanic (only super power means kills) then I'm all for it. But for all intents and purposes it'll be interpreted as a sequel by the masses.

Arondight

I would be interesting if they made a direct sequel
but sped it up 30 years making Ellie probably the same age as Joel and see the changes not just to Ellie's personalities and views as a character gone through all those years but how the environments has changed.

I feel the Joel/Ellie relationship is about as much explored as they can get. One same character but different relationships or just go with different characters but felt like TLOU was kind of setting it up for Ellie.

levyjl1988

Banned
Nathan Drake in the Last of Us, that would be some crossover. Would be interesting to see how two completely different dynamics would turn out.

I love Ellie and all, but I would be severely disappointed if TLOU2 didn't heavily feature Joel as well. It's always been weird to me how he's the main character of TLOU yet he seems so underrated.

I love Ellie and all, but I would be severely disappointed if TLOU2 didn't heavily feature Joel as well. It's always been weird to me how he's the main character of TLOU yet he seems so underrated.

Joel may be the character you play as
most of the time
, but Eliie is the main and most important character.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LOL. The blasé reactions in this thread are hilarious. And yet:

E3 2016
Black screen
Three clicks

And the crowd would go wild.

I'm not too excited about a sequel. To me, what made TLOU a good game was the fantastic characters. Specially, Ellie really carried the game. The gameplay though was very average. What are the chances that they replicate what made the last game great? I say pretty low. I certainly don't have a hankering for more slowly walking past clickers. Not every game needs a sequel.

Lt.Chips

Nathan Drake in the Last of Us, that would be some crossover. Would be interesting to see how two completely different dynamics would turn out.

Oh yeah, that newspaper headline easter egg in U3... would be interested how Drake handles the outbreak. The tone of the two games are so different that I have a hard time imagining it right now.

I'm not too excited about a sequel. To me, what made TLOU a good game was the fantastic characters. Specially, Ellie really carried the game. The gameplay though was very average. What are the chances that they replicate what made the last game great? I say pretty low. I certainly don't have a hankering for more slowly walking past clickers. Not every game needs a sequel.

I hoping they would go wild with sequel on PS4. Like all kinds of mutated animals and shit. Would make for some crazy boss battles. Didn't they want that in the original, but PS3 couldn't handle it?

eizarus

Banned
The Second Last of Us? I'd love another one, but focusing on something else and not featuring Joel or Ellie. Maybe the last fragments of mankind after the stunt Joel pulled or something set before TLoU.

antitrop

I would say Drake, Kratos and Sackboy are all bigger mascots right now.

Good thing mascots are meaningless in this era of video games, because holy fuck are those the worst stable of mascots of any video game company.

I mean, Sackboy is okay, but Kratos....

FUCKING KRATOS

Also, if Drake dies at the end of Uncharted 4, there goes that.

Gray Matter

I think the next game should stay close to the characters. Not saying it should be Joel and Ellie, but have them involved in some way, as NPC that you see a few times during the the course of the game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Good thing mascots are meaningless in this era of video games, because holy fuck are those the worst stable of mascots of any video game company.

I mean, Sackboy is okay, but Kratos....

FUCKING KRATOS

Also, if Drake dies at the end of Uncharted 4, there goes that.

Kratos fucking rules, OK?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I really doubt they'll include Joel and Ellie in the sequel - if they do you won't interact with them directly. The world they created is rich enough for hundreds of stories. I'd love to see a game set in the first weeks and months of the outbreak for example.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think the next game should stay close to the characters. Not saying it should be Joel and Ellie, but have them involved in some way, as NPC that you see a few times during the the course of the game.

Taking the circumstance and the characters into consideration we would have to conclude that Ellie would be something of a loner in the camp. Joel has already told here that she shouldn't mention her immunity and Ellie would see that as good advice. This would mean relationships are going to be complicated and she would have to constantly hide her secret. Baring in mind she has an affinity with wild life (it reminds her of innocence after the rape attempt. Before that it WAS innocence.), she would seek out sanctuary in the wilderness. This is where I think the next story will take us.

I DO NOT want them to make the story too obvious. It would be so easy to have her exposed which would lead to a simple 'pursuit' plot. If she chooses to be alone, there are far more interesting things to explore about Ellie.

jett

D-Member
Nolan North gives no fucks.

Personally, I'm don't want any more Ellie and Joel stuff. Those two have suffered enough, have gone through a lot, and I really don't need more of that. Their story is over.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maybe, but continuing with Ellie runs the risk of the
Liar revealed
cliche.

I fucking hate that cliche.

Yes, they need to avoid that and I have faith they will. It serves the character of Ellie better if they allow it to create internal conflict. We know she's gutsy, determined and honourable, so how would it effect her if she had to sustain a lie and never have a relationship with anyone else other than the person she knows lied to her? That's one hell of an interesting proposition to me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm more interested on how ND make new enemy type without ruining a somewhat completed "lore"

They have to be very very careful. I see no reason why this parasite couldn't also make the jump to animals but they have to be careful with that too. Seeing an infected giraffe unable to stand and writhing in pain would be a devastating scene for Ellie to witness but a great 'echo' and mechanic for changing Ellie.

acklame

Hype! If it's true, would be excited to see what they come up with.

From a business perspective the first game must be getting close to being a 10M seller by this point. That's huge for a single game, and it's bigger than Uncharted relatively speaking. They'd be stupid not to make another chapter.

Top Bottom