• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
finalfantasy.net

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/13/nomura_on_ff_versus_xiii/

Much of the discussion was about the game's event scenes. As with most games, there are two types of event scenes in Versus: pre-rendered and real time. The difference about the Versus real time scenes is that they're all controllable. They decided to get rid of the non controllable real time cut scenes in order to keep the play from stopping.

Regarding the controllable cut scenes, Nomura said to expect more natural expression as opposed to the game-like expression of past games. He also mentioned some sort of new system for this area, something that he feels has never been done before.

(The FF-Reunion summary says that Nomura said something about the cut scenes being more like an FPS than an RPG, but the context of the statement is a bit unclear so I'd suggest waiting for a more detailed summary.)

Nomura debuted three new screenshots for Famitsu's editors -- just for the editors, as Square Enix apparently won't let screens be shown to the general public. Famitsu was impressed, saying that they couldn't believe what they were looking at was real time.

The three screenshots included a scene of an Italy-like city showing Noctus looking up at a behemoth, an afternoon shot of Noctus on what appeared to be the side of the highway, and the same highway shot but at night. The signs on the highway apparently say "Meguro," which is a region of Tokyo (As far as I know the game doesn't actually take place in our world, although this isn't the first time a real world name has been found in the game).

One reason the game may look so good is because there are only minimal differences between the game's high and low quality models. According to Nomura, they've kept the high and low quality models the same, with exception to the greater hair detail in the high quality versions.

The inclusion of Takeshi Nozue on the staff also helped, said Nomura. Nozue was able to apply use his pre-rendering knowhow on the game's real time scenes, specifically with regards to lighting technology.

Famitsu noted that the screenshots looked like real photos. Nomura replied with an aside that you can take pictures in the game. Noctus has a cell phone, and you can take pics wherever you like.

Regarding when we'll get to see the images that Famitsu's editors were shown, Nomura just said we'll have to wait a bit. He also noted that areas we've already been shown now have the new lighting technology, so we'll have to wait to see these as well.

Moving on to a general development update, Nomura siad that because they're trying out a lot of new challenges, the development staff is still focused on the core members. However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

They're also gradually recording the game's voices. Regarding the recording, Nomura said that there are many scenes where the four male characters are engaged in realistic conversation, with their voices overlapping. These scenes are being recorded by having the four voice actors together on the recording session simultaneously.

So when will we get our next bit of Versus XIII info? Nomura said that the timing for the next reveal has been set, but he would not say when. For the next update, though, he said that they'd like to deliver it along with some good information.

DEVELOPMENT CLARIFICATION:

Here is a sample of how Square Enix's development processes work these days.

http://www.andriasang.com/j/blog/2010/09/01/new_square_enix_game/

Without naming the title, Matsuzawa and Shiokawa gave a development timeline, which you can see in this slide at Famitsu.com.

According to the slide, one and a half years have passed since development started. Over this time, development has progressed through the following phases:

Conception
-Six months spent looking into the key features of the product and creating a prototype.

Vertical Slice
-Six months spent making a 15 minute gameplay build at 70% quality.

Pre-Production <- Versus is most likely here. This is not conception, which some people seem to be getting confused by.
-Four months spent focusing the concept by playing the vertical slice build and getting feedback. Also, creation of the "pipeline" and other areas of the development environment.

The slide says that they are now in full development of the game. Assuming the positioning of the marker is to scale, the project appears to still be a ways out.
While we're at it, I'd like to also take a moment to explain what Alpha and Beta are:

codecow said:
At many places:

alpha = feature complete
beta = first build with zero open bugs in database

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Noctis phone... Kinda want.

Kyon

Banned
My friend in Japan had that Cloud phone :lol she sent it to me in the mail last year. It doesnt work here but it is a nice collectible. i remember this too

Rd63m.jpg

kenta

Has no PEINS
Still no decent information. Seriously what is the problem with this game

Or Square Enix, whichevs

MOG728

Bought a PS3 for this game and XIII in 2008. Since they've announced Versus, three Uncharted's have come out, 5 Call of Duty's, and 2 Final Fantasy XIII's will come out.

People say this game looks incredible, but the fans of SE have no idea because they withhold every drop of meaningful info. SE has gone off the deep end. How can you respect them after they've handled this game, Type 0, and the Kingdom Hearts series so dreadful.

I think its more so ridiculous that a PSP game has taken 5 years to develop.

Unless this game is revolutionary for modern Japanese gaming it will be a waste

Kyon

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I'd gobble up the Noctis phone if it didn't suck and actually worked outside of Japan :(

the Kuraudo phone has a decent camera tho. im gonna sell it on ebay tho :lol

Didnt Noctis use a cell phone in the first few trailers of Versus?

B.K.

Kagari said:
3 new screenshots are in the magazine as well.

Or are they?

Nomura debuted three new screenshots for Famitsu's editors -- just for the editors, as Square Enix apparently won't let screens be shown to the general public. Famitsu was impressed, saying that they couldn't believe what they were looking at was real time.

Regarding when we'll get to see the images that Famitsu's editors were shown, Nomura just said we'll have to wait a bit. He also noted that areas we've already been shown now have the new lighting technology, so we'll have to wait to see these as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Much of the discussion was about the game's event scenes. As with most games, there are two types of event scenes in Versus: pre-rendered and real time. The difference about the Versus real time scenes is that they're all controllable. They decided to get rid of the non controllable real time cut scenes in order to keep the play from stopping.

Regarding the controllable cut scenes, Nomura said to expect more natural expression as opposed to the game-like expression of past games. He also mentioned some sort of new system for this area, something that he feels has never been done before.

(The FF-Reunion summary says that Nomura said something about the cut scenes being more like an FPS than an RPG, but the context of the statement is a bit unclear so I'd suggest waiting for a more detailed summary.)

The three screenshots included a scene of an Italy-like city showing Noctus looking up at a behemoth, an afternoon shot of Noctus on what appeared to be the side of the highway, and the same highway shot but at night. The signs on the highway apparently say "Meguro," which is a region of Tokyo (As far as I know the game doesn't actually take place in our world, although this isn't the first time a real world name has been found in the game).

One reason the game may look so good is because there are only minimal differences between the game's high and low quality models. According to Nomura, they've kept the high and low quality models the same, with exception to the greater hair detail in the high quality versions.

The inclusion of Takeshi Nozue on the staff also helped, said Nomura. Nozue was able to apply use his pre-rendering knowhow on the game's real time scenes, specifically with regards to lighting technology.

Famitsu noted that the screenshots looked like real photos. Nomura replied with an aside that you can take pictures in the game. Noctus has a cell phone, and you can take pics wherever you like.

Moving on to a general development update, Nomura siad that because they're trying out a lot of new challenges, the development staff is still focused on the core members. However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

They're also gradually recording the game's voices. Regarding the recording, Nomura said that there are many scenes where the four male characters are engaged in realistic conversation, with their voices overlapping. These scenes are being recorded by having the four voice actors together on the recording session simultaneously.

So when will we get our next bit of Versus XIII info? Nomura said that the timing for the next reveal has been set, but he would not say when. For the next update, though, he said that they'd like to deliver it along with some good information.

lol.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
OMG A CAMERA YOU CAN CONTROL!!

That must explain the long development time.

I don't understand this crap..are they selling the game to the general public or Famitsu editors? Why are they so secretive about a game that's been announced for YEARS? Show something new already.

Dragon

Banned
I'm assuming like MGS4 cutscenes? Why are they spending so much time talking about this? I mean I appreciate having a unified set of models, it's always been a bit weird.

What the fuck is this.....The closed mega theater isn't enough they have to do it for screenshots now?

yencid

this is one of the things i really loved about uncharted 2 so i cant wait to hear it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game better be in 2 Blu-ray discs.

Top Bottom