• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

NateDrake

Bel Marduk said:
We'll be lucky to get this in 2013 at this rate.
We'll be lucky to see new screens of the game by 2013 at this rate.

I hope SE learns from this and doesn't announce a game again until it is within a yr of completion.

legacyzero

Banned
Moving on to a general development update, Nomura siad that because they're trying out a lot of new challenges, the development staff is still focused on the core members. However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

Wait. We're not in the "FULL PRODUCTION" phase yet?!

NateDrake said:
We'll be lucky to see new screens of the game by 2013 at this rate.

I hope SE learns from this and doesn't announce a game again until it is within a yr of completion.

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves here. This is Square-Enix we're talking about.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nomura debuted three new screenshots for Famitsu's editors -- just for the editors, as Square Enix apparently won't let screens be shown to the general public.
Oh, I needed a chuckle tonight.
Edit: they're not even in full production yet? Hahaha. Oh wow. :lol

Kyoufu said:
They'll show it again behind closed doors at TGS, just like the past 5 years.
Ah, a few minutes of sneakily- and poorly-recorded cell phone video. Fantastic.

The Lamp

Nomura debuted three new screenshots for Famitsu's editors -- just for the editors, as Square Enix apparently won't let screens be shown to the general public.

This kind of useless content abuse towards your fans when you announced this game 5 years ago is laughable at best and pathetic at worst.

However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

82f3f98de212b8520f67befce3fd9cdf.jpg

NateDrake

Moving on to a general development update, Nomura siad that because they're trying out a lot of new challenges, the development staff is still focused on the core members. However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

QaX2W.gif

Yasae

Banned
Raitosaito said:
Let's not get to ahead of ourselves here. This is Square-Enix we're talking about.
It's the new "Let's take forever to release games" version of S-E we're talking about. It's not like you heard about FF7 in 1992.

Yasae said:
It's the new "Let's take forever to release games" version of S-E we're talking about. It's not like you heard about FF7 in 1992.

Maybe is better to say "This is Nomura we're talking about here."

Announcing essentially another full blown Final Fantasy production during FFXIII development seems so pointless; SE seems to bite off more they can chew.

The Lamp

Foffy said:
Wait..the game has yet to enter full production? Even after 5 years?

This game was announced before this generation of consoles even released, and it looks like it may not even arrive this console generation lol.

Despera

Banned
_dementia said:
soooo 2014?
In all seriousness I'd say late 2012 in Japan, early 2013 everywhere else... wait, what's this?
However, they're making preparations to enter full production.
Ok, I take that back. Probably late 2013 in Japan, early 2014 everywhere else.

MOG728

Cut down on the PSP games, crappy sequels, and invest in talent SE. Then maybe we'll give a f**k about you again. Do they teach public relations in Japan? Enough with this behind closed doors bullshit

DaBuddaDa

I cannot fathom what the fuck the dozens upon dozens of employees working on this game have been doing for the past six years.

Seriously, when they walk into work in the morning, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THEY BEEN DOING?!

DaBuddaDa said:
I cannot fathom what the fuck the dozens upon dozens of employees working on this game have been doing for the past six years.

Seriously, when they walk into work in the morning, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THEY BEEN DOING?!

They took most of the staff to work on FF13. Not sure after completing that project what they did, but I think they were probably beating themselves up or committing Seppuku due to FF13's quality.

Famassu

MOG728 said:
I think its more so ridiculous that a PSP game has taken 5 years to develop.
They haven't developed Type-0 (as it is) for 5 years. It started as a mobile phone game and they pretty much scrapped everything/expanded the scope of the game on a whole new level once they moved onto PSP. More like 3 years.

Despera

Banned
Raitosaito said:
They took most of the staff to work on FF13. Not sure after completing that project what they did, but I think they were probably beating themselves up or committing Seppuku due to FF13's quality.
Nope. They were working on XIII-2.

I'm pretty sure production on Versus won't start until XIII-2 goes gold.

Seriously people, does anyone wants a GT5-2? No sir. If you want to take 10 years to finish this game, and it's going to be a masterpiece, take it.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
At this point and they should really consider making it for the next gen systems.
Why? Launch systems have no install base. Even if PS480 is out when Versus is ready, not supporting the current systems is crazy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Why? Launch systems have no install base. Even if PS480 is out when Versus is ready, not supporting the current systems is crazy.

People will buy it because of slim pickings at launch though. Look at Resistance 1.

Sallokin said:
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if this underwent a name change from Versus XIII to just plain old FF 15 or 16.

Considering the ambition and proposed production, it might as well be a fully numbered FF title.

blizzardjesus said:
Nomuuuurrrraaaaa!!!
Guess this means an even longer delay on KH3...
Yep.

Speaking of which, there's allegedly some KH3D news in there as well. It's apparently 40-50% done now. That's good to hear.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
People will buy it because of slim pickings at launch though. Look at Resistance 1.
It's not enough to make money on a project like this though. That's not to say they shouldn't also port it, but dropping PS3 support (and potentially 360) is crazy.

StuBurns said:

Yeah the PS3 and 360 will have an install base of well over 100 million, plus whatever number the Wii U will be at by the time of the of game's release.

Foffy

Banned
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Yep.

Speaking of which, there's allegedly some KH3D news in there as well. It's apparently 40-50% done now. That's good to hear.

..How many games has Square annouced and released before FFVXIII started full production?

lastinline said:
Oh you have got to be kidding me. They won't even release screenshots to the public? *sigh*

Are you really surprised? its the same company with the "closed Mega Theater" and if i remember correctly blocked trailers while it was airing on stream.

So 2013 then?

Wilsongt

All I have to say is "Wow." I can't think of anything that I am interested coming out of Square-Enix at the current moment, except for Type-0. But, who is to say when it will make it over here now that it was delayed in Japan and with the PSP all but dead in America.

Top Bottom