• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-Committal ExtremTech article inside about Cerny's presentation

Dory16

Banned
Mod edit: if you're unable to come up with topic titles that represent the actual articles then we will rename them. This also goes for pulling 'Kotaku style' clickbait quotes from said articles. They don't give the topic any purpose except for people to 'react' to the headline instead of discuss the article/interview.

As always, downclock if old

Sony is in a tricky position with the PlayStation 5. While it heads into the next console generation as the unquestioned winner of the current cycle, it looks as though the PS5 will be markedly less powerful than the Xbox Series X.

When Sony unveiled the PS5 last week, Mark Cerny told viewers that the PS5 wouldn’t be at a disadvantage against the XSX because a higher-clocked smaller GPU like the PS5’s could still outperform the wider, slower GPU on the Xbox Series X:

About the only downside is that system memory is 33 percent further away in terms of cycles, but the large number of benefits more than counterbalance that. As a friend of mine says, a rising tide lifts all boats. Also, it’s easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs – when triangles are small, it’s much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work.
We spoke to Dan Baker, Graphics Architect of Oxide Games, about the efficiency question and whether smaller GPUs would be a better fit for modern graphics workloads than larger ones.

“Small triangles are indeed inefficient,” said Baker, “Because you have to partially shade fragments that are ultimately discarded. However, this inefficiency is largely in CU execution because the CUs are being asked to compute more work, so you’d want more CUs to offset the inefficiency.

“However,” he continued, “This is specific to the type of renderer. In deferred renderers, which make up most of the market today, most of the shading computation is done in screen space, where the small triangle problem is minimized. Only the material setup really pays the cost for small triangles. For Oxide’s decoupled shading rendering technology, neither the setup nor the shading efficiency is affected by the size of the triangle, so we are impacted even less.”

According to Baker, the increase in memory latency that Cerny mentions is indeed a negative that can make smaller, high-clocked parts a bit less efficient than their wider, slower-clocked brethren.

What About Storage Performance?
Both Sony and Microsoft are delivering dramatic storage performance in their next-gen solutions, with Sony claiming ~2x the performance Microsoft does in terms of sustained streaming bandwidth. Sony has detailed a number of changes these improvements will deliver, including more efficient data loads, since objects don’t need to be duplicated dozens or hundreds of times in files across the game install.

There’s absolutely no question that upgrading from the HDD solutions inside the Xbox One X / PS4 Pro to PCIe-based SSDs will be an enormous improvement for both consoles. Swapping an HDD for an SSD is still one of the all-time best ways to improve performance, even in an old rig. When Sony talks about a 100x performance improvement compared with the PS4, that’s almost certainly true when measured against HDD latency, while storage bandwidth has improved nearly as much.

Image by Sony
The question is, what aspect of gaming is this additional performance going to improve? Baker believes the high-speed SSD will be used as a giant page file. Texture data can be selectively streamed in and out of system RAM to eliminate things like load times and texture pop-in. What it probably isn’t going to be used for — not as such — is simply making the game world bigger.

To be clear, I’m not saying open-game maps won’t get bigger next generation, just that the use of ultra-fast SSDs probably won’t be the reason why they do. No open-world title loads the entire game world into RAM at once. Rather than attempting to cache an entire title in RAM, a PCIe SSD serves as a giant, texture-y RAMDisk. There are a lot of improvements developers can make behind the scenes to how assets to boost performance, but they’re also likely to be tied to some complex new methods of handling storage and data loads.

To some extent, this is par for the course. During the PS3 era, Sony even declared that the PS3 was deliberately difficult to program for because this ensured it took developers longer to unlock the full potential of the system.

“We don’t provide the ‘easy to program for’ console that (developers) want, because ‘easy to program for’ means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?” explained Kaz Hirai back in 2009.

But this type of thinking has been less common of late and console manufacturers now provide more help than they once did. Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, for example, offers 8 threads at 3.8GHz or 16 threads at 3.6GHz and the manufacturer has predicted at least some developers will opt for higher clocks and lower threads due to the difficulty of parallelizing effectively.

The net effect of this is that it isn’t clear the PS5 will get a different benefit than the Xbox Series X from its faster storage, while the XSX is likely to be faster on the whole thanks to a wider GPU. The storage improvements on both platforms are more likely to improve data load times and things like texture loading, rather than by making game worlds larger in absolute terms. We don’t know how these factors will play into customer purchases, however, because we don’t know the price on either platform or how the impact of the worldwide pandemic will affect launch schedules. On the whole, it looks like the PS5 is set to be a bit less powerful — though not necessarily less popular — than the Xbox Series X.

Link: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ling-aspects-of-the-ps5s-hardware-performance

Last edited by a moderator:

PocoJoe

Banned
As always, downclock if old.

When Sony unveiled the PS5 last week, Mark Cerny told viewers that the PS5 wouldn’t be at a disadvantage against the XSX because a higher-clocked smaller GPU like the PS5’s could still outperform the wider, slower GPU on the Xbox Series X:

Writer of this article is an idiot that cant understand even basic level stuff, so why bother even reading it?

Cerny didnt mention xbox even once, and yet your shitty article quote starts like he would have compared it directly to xsex.

Typical biased xbox fanboy writing, because they cant really comprehend in their small minds that not all is about xbox.

What Cerny talked about were only on general level of high clocks vs wide bus approaches, not "hey look, ps5 vs xbox means this and that"

Unbelievable how some people see xbox everywhere, everything is ps5 vs xbox.

The point were that he just expressed why they chose high clocks vs wide for PS5, nothing else. Like "what if PS5 would have had this tech, instead of what we chose"

It is sad that in modern world any retard can claim to be some kind of journalist with zero common sense.

Dory16

Banned
Writer of this article is an idiot that cant understand even basic level stuff, so why bother even reading it?

Cerny didnt mention xbox even once, and yet your shitty article quote starts like he would have compared it directly to xsex.

Typical biased xbox fanboy writing, because they cant really comprehend in their small minds that not all is about xbox.

What Cerny talked about were only on general level of high clocks vs wide bus approaches, not "hey look, ps5 vs xbox means this and that"

The point were that he just expressed why they chose high clocks vs wide for PS5, nothing else. Like "what if PS5 would have had this tech, instead of what we chose"

It is sad that in modern world any retard can claim to be some kind of journalist with zero common sense.
Ok.

Dory16

Banned
The thread title doesn't match up with the articles title nor it's contents. What's that about?
Overselling doesn't match up with being either dishonest or misguided?
Then I'd suggest to learn better English.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Imagine if it was the Xbox Series X that was the weaker platform, then we'd just rap it up, call it a day and laugh at it through the entire generation.

Now everyone's trying to cover shit up, it's so hilarious.

I don't know... last gen the power of the cloud buzzword kept circulating unironically for a couple years at least. I'm sure microsoft marketing department would be capable enough to produce another such buzzword this year, just like the ssd keeps showing up at the moment.

Every gen plays the same, the big boy shows big games, the other dude throws marketing at the problem.

GHG

Overselling doesn't match up with being either dishonest or misguided?
Then I'd suggest to learn better English.

The fucking irony. This is the article's title:

Sony May Be Overselling Aspects of the PS5’s Hardware Performance

This is is your title:

Why Cerny's PS5 presentation was dishonest (or misguided) both on GPU power and storag performance

Absolute vs a possibility.

You also can't spell and/or couldn't be bothered to proof read your own hyperbolic title. Jog on.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
The fucking irony. This is the article's title:

This is is your title:

Absolute vs a possibility.

You also can't spell and/or couldn't be bothered to proof read your own hyperbolic title. Jog on.
I never said the thread title was quoting an article title nor is there any expectation on a poster to do so. You're hurt by the message and attacking the messenger.
You'll be fine.

GHG

I never said the thread title was quoting an article title nor is there any expectation on a poster to do so. You're hurt by the message and attacking the messenger.
You'll be fine.

You might want to check that.

Better luck next time.

oldergamer

“Small triangles are indeed inefficient,” said Baker, “Because you have to partially shade fragments that are ultimately discarded. However, this inefficiency is largely in CU execution because the CUs are being asked to compute more work, so you’d want more CUs to offset the inefficiency.

Or you would want smarter hardware and the ability to not partially shade fragments that are discarded ( aka the features the new Xbox has to minimize that performance hit )

Handy Fake

I have to admire the Custer-like temerity.

Although I suspect the outcome will be the same.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
In the end it doesn't even matter which is "stronger", the PS5 will handily outsell the Series X.

Of course it will, theres no doubt about that, and I doubt anyone will say otherwise.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned

All he’s doing is using actual quotes by non anonymous game developers to temper the innuendos made by Sony.
We all know who Cerny was talking about when he made the point that fewer overclocked CUs are somehow better than a larger GPU. And let’s not get started on storage. For something that will have a marginal value beyond shorter load times, it was certainly propped up a lot and many gamers bought it. Just read the threads on this forum.

Dory16

Banned
You're not going to last long around here mate with these kinds of posts.
Good luck.
My man Hawking. Thanks for saying hi.
Surprised you’re not offended by the poster whose only contribution to the thread was to call it garbage. The article is full of irrefutable historical and technical references. If there’s any fairness from the mods he’s the one who shouldn’t last long.

Imagine if it was the Xbox Series X that was the weaker platform, then we'd just wrap it up, call it a day and laugh at it through the entire generation.

Yes, this definitely happened when there was an even bigger gap (like twice as big) between the Xbox One and the PS4. Wrapped that up day one and nobody talked about Xbox One performance ever again.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Kaz actually said that about PS3? Talk about spin.

At any rate...to me it feels like Sony isn't even done creating their entire system. Wait and see mode activated.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Does that make you feel better? If so, I feel sorry for you.

Best sales tends to equal most and best software support. So its a big deal.

Well at least a much bigger deal than a small resolution bump, which truthfully is good for bragging rights but past a certain amount (1080p ~ 1440p) most people aren't going to notice.

The_Mike

Yes, this definitely happened when there was an even bigger gap (like twice as big) between the Xbox One and the PS4. Wrapped that up day one and nobody talked about Xbox One performance ever again.

What part of the "laughed at through the entire generation" didn't you get?

Darius87

Imagine if it was the Xbox Series X that was the weaker platform, then we'd just wrap it up, call it a day and laugh at it through the entire generation.

don't really think that would be the case as is right now we really need to get performance metrics from games to decide which console is more performant neither this was a thing with xbox one more like ms f*cked up with theyr messeging tv, tv, tv, sport... etc and DRM & kinect stuff and price was nail in the coffin letting sony to shoot pass ms of course fans will praise they console featrures an so on... but saying weaker platform is the reason why it lost or could lose generation is nonsense(think nintendo).

Dory16

Banned
don't really think that would be the case as is right now we really need to get performance metrics from games to decide which console is more performant neither this was a thing with xbox one more like ms f*cked up with theyr messeging tv, tv, tv, sport... etc and DRM & kinect stuff and price was nail in the coffin letting sony to shoot pass ms of course fans will praise they console featrures an so on... but saying weaker platform is the reason why it lost or could lose generation is nonsense(think nintendo).
I think Nintendo's identity in gaming is unique. Gamers do not expect performance from Nintendo's devices or at least not the best performance. Just new iterations from classic franchises and some innovative ways to play current games even if at much lower settings.
Nintendo is the only manufacturer that can get away with being a generation behind in terms of hardware performance and not see its sales affected. MS or even Sony couldn't. If one of those two is clearly ahead of the other in terms of multiplat games performance, there's a very good chance that the they will also be leader in sales this generation.

The_Mike

It wasn't laughed off the entire generation, people believed shit like there being a secret GPU in the power supply for years.

People = a minority of religious Xbox fanboys. Everyone else laughed at how inferior the hardware was compared to PS4, let's not pretend otherwise. Every Digital Foundry video people shat on Xbox One cus it ran 720p or 900p VS PS4 1080p.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did Dory16 Dory16 even read the whole article? What do you think this means?

But this type of thinking has been less common of late and console manufacturers now provide more help than they once did. Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, for example, offers 8 threads at 3.8GHz or 16 threads at 3.6GHz and the manufacturer has predicted at least some developers will opt for higher clocks and lower threads due to the difficulty of parallelizing effectively.

Please explain.

ZywyPL

Banned

Please explain.

Comparing CPU and GPU workloads just doesn't make any sense at all, to say the least.

But if we're on topic of CU utilization, people seem to forget that XBX needs to use just 40-44CUs to match PS5 GPU TFlops, leaving some extra CU for other tasks like physics/simulations. Or they will just be just unused. Or all the CUs will be utilized in 80% instead of 100% in PS5, who cares, more processing power never hurt anyone.

But I won't lie, I enjoy the mental gymnastics some folks here are performing.

Dory16

Banned

Please explain.
Learn the difference between a CPU and a GPU.
And to complain about parallel computing 2 generations after the Cell processor that I'm sure you praised since it was in a Sony console, you must be joking.
Go back to the part of the article you willfully skipped and which says that inefficiency in CUs is solved by using more of them. Thanks

mckmas8808

Comparing CPU and GPU workloads just doesn't make any sense at all, to say the least.

But if we're on topic of CU utilization, people seem to forget that XBX needs to use just 40-44CUs to match PS5 GPU TFlops, leaving some extra CU for other tasks like physics/simulations. Or they will just be just unused. Or all the CUs will be utilized in 80% instead of 100% in PS5, who cares, more processing power never hurt anyone.

But I won't lie, I enjoy the mental gymnastics some folks here are performing.

Your mental gymnastics are amazing!

Learn the difference between a CPU and a GPU.
And to complain about parallel computing 2 generations after the Cell processor that I'm sure you praised since it was in a Sony console, you must be joking.
Go back to the part of the article you willfully skipped and which says that inefficiency in CUs is solved by using more of them. Thanks

I praised the CELL for certain things, but also ripped Sony for putting something in a console that was too hard to tame\learn. I don't get paid by Sony, so it doesn't hurt me to rip Sony when it makes sense. For instance, I think it's 1000% STUPID for Sony to skip every E3 nowadays. I think it's STUPID for Sony not to brand the SSDs that they deem worthy of the PS5. This will lead to confusion.

Plus the point still stands.

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, for example, offers 8 threads at 3.8GHz or 16 threads at 3.6GHz and the manufacturer has predicted at least some developers will opt for higher clocks and lower threads due to the difficulty of parallelizing effectively.

Dory16

Banned

I praised the CELL for certain things, but also ripped Sony for putting something in a console that was too hard to tame\learn. I don't get paid by Sony, so it doesn't hurt me to rip Sony when it makes sense. For instance, I think it's 1000% STUPID for Sony to skip every E3 nowadays. I think it's STUPID for Sony not to brand the SSDs that they deem worthy of the PS5. This will lead to confusion.

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, for example, offers 8 threads at 3.8GHz or 16 threads at 3.6GHz and the manufacturer has predicted at least some developers will opt for higher clocks and lower threads due to the difficulty of parallelizing effectively.
So the flak that you give to Sony (and your only claim to fairness) is that you regret they didn’t name their SSD at the same time that they came up with Kraken and Tempest. Wow. You’re really tough on them. Tone down the scrutiny.

mckmas8808

So the flak that you give to Sony (and your only claim to fairness) is that you regret they didn’t name their SSD at the same time that they came up with Kraken and Tempest. Wow. You’re really tough on them. Tone down the scrutiny.

What are you talking about? Put the weed down. No I think it's dumb for Sony to not pick the best two or three SSDs that will work with the PS5 and slap a "Works with PS5" sticker on them. And then advertise those specific SSDs as the ones to buy for the PS5. As of now, it looks like they'll just let us know through a blog post or a website and make everyone dig for the information.

That's a real criticism, not this ridiculous stuff you're bringing up. You're acting as if the GPU is really 9.2 TFs or something. Your stuff is mostly BS.

Last edited:

Did you even read it? At all?

Because if you did, the article is also critical of some aspects of XSX's design in just how effective they'll be. But it seems you can't handle any constructive speculation that involves PS5, even if they bring up some points worth taking into consideration.

Also you trying to view things in isolation obviously isn't going to be the way the systems are viewed by and large; people WILL look at them comparatively because they're two product competing in the same market for many of the same customers. LIke, no shit, they're going to draw up some speculative comparisons.

But apparently because their conclusions don't fit what narrative you want to believe being reality, you freak out. That is absolutely embarrassing.

IIRC MS put the SMT/no-SMT modes in there because of A: Backwards-compatibility with XBO titles and B: The fact a good number of devs are used to single-core/single-thread CPU workload programming.

Game developers can choose between the two modes (dunno if they can do so on-the-fly, though), but if any factors pop up requiring them to go with no-SMT it would probably come from older coding habits with single-thread CPU processors like the current-gen systems. I honestly doubt it has anything to do with any inherent programming difficulty, considering both PS5 and XSX are using virtually identical CPUs (more or less).

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
What are you talking about? Put the weed down. No I think it's dumb for Sony to not pick the best two or three SSDs that will work with the PS5 and slap a "Works with PS5" sticker on them. And then advertise those specific SSDs as the ones to buy for the PS5. As of now, it looks like they'll just let us know through a blog post or a website and make everyone dig for the information.

That's a real criticism, not this ridiculous stuff you're bringing up. You're acting as if the GPU is really 9.2 TFs or something. Your stuff is mostly BS.
Please Sony, help mckmas to recognise a few SSDS that will work with his PS5. How can you expect him to go to the electronics store all by himself, find the SSD section and pick a SSD listed on your webpage that he can bring up on his phone? If only you forced SSD manufacturers to stick a large blue label on the package, you would have addressed all the legitimate grievances that any reasonable consumer can have towards your products. Other than that you're perfect. And don't be mad at mckmas, he's just providing objective, uncompromising feedback. The customer is king after all.

Romulus

You mean like Xbox one double gpu and esram secret sauce push?

Last edited:

welsay01

Neo Member

Cerny never said a 36CU with higher clock would beat a 52CU with lower clock.

The comparison he made was for when the resulting teraflops are equal, using higher clock to get there is more advantageous than adding more CU.

Bryank75

Banned

So glad that you can all justify Spencers lies about cloud compute and physics being done by server farms and how the cloud would make Xbox One the most powerful console ever....

The past seven gameless years are now all worth it thanks to the spec sheet.... just another few gameless years ahead till the next spec sheet!

Thanks Phil!!!

P.S. Please more drm, subscriptions and microtransactions.. /S

(Probably went too hard here.... I'm gonna get some icecream and come back later...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom