• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-gamer girlfriends, why do we bother?

Andrew2

Banned
Thankfully I have a girl of my own. Not only that, but even if I didn't have her, getting a woman wouldn't that too much of a hassle for me. Thats considering that I've actually been stalked two girls already :)

Yes I'm honest to God telling the truth, I've actually been stalked by girls before. I don't see myself as the best looking guy, but it actually been so.

ShowDog

Well yes MGS2 is not a good story. In fact it's the worst part of the game. Having her watch that game would be disastrous. Definately would skip out on the MGS2. FF7 stands as a good game and interesting story though, even if it doesn't make much sense. And the soundtrack is excellent, you poor misguided soul. Come to the side of light, come to Nobou!

ChrisReid

Andrew2 said:
Thankfully I have a girl of my own. Not only that, but even if I didn't have her, getting a woman wouldn't that too much of a hassle for me. Thats considering that I've actually been stalked two girls already :)

Yes I'm honest to God telling the truth, I've actually been stalked by girls before. I don't see myself as the best looking guy, but it actually been so.

I'd come up with a witty reply, but I've got three hot supermodels begging me to come to bed right now.

Nameless

I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I just recently ended a year long relationship, and in that year gaming never came between us. Was never even an arguement, honestly. Granted she didn't live with me but still, when she was over we would either be fuckin or watching TV. Sex>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Video Games...Besides she usually fell a sleep 4 hours before me so when she stayed over, I'de just play while she was sleep. Other than that, I got my gaming fix when she wasn't around simple as that. Early Morning binges, late late night binges, playing while she was at work..I made it work. And hell, the last couple of months when I changed jobs she worked nights and I worked days....GAMING SURVIVES

bumpkin

It's all about balance, for sure. My fiance isn't a huge gamer like I am, but she still steals my DS all the time when I'm not using it to play Nintendogs, Wario Ware Touched! or Mario 64 DS. I've got the happy medium; a girl who will play games with me, but isn't obsessed with them and also keeps my obsession in check. It all works out in the end.

Nameless

Also guys, if you put her before games SHE WILL BUY THEM FOR YOU. If she feels like your giving more attention to games than her there is no way in hell she will support your gaming habits.

She sprung for my 3rd PS2 when my last one broke...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I wouldn't date a girl who has a distaste for videogames. It's not like I'm a gaming addicted WoW player or something (no offense to WoW players...), but I enjoy my time playing. If she doesn't "get" why we play games, then she doesn't "get" me. Gaming is a hobby I'll probably always have, and a girl is temporary (unless it's a wife, naturally...and then she MUST be able to deal with my gaming habits :D )

Zep

Banned
These guys are rookies....I could tell you a way to fuck and play videogames w/ someone you dont know ...guarenteed

Gentlemen, I propose we start an organization to counter this infuriating opposition of our pastime during the late hours from the opposite sex. It shall be known as:

Videogamers Against Girlfriends who Interfere with Nocturnal Activities

or

V.A.G.I.N.A.

My wife's not a gamer (except for DDR), but she understands my game obsession because she has obsessions of her own like anime, comics, novels, and art. From my experience it seems like a lot of the girls who have problems with gaming are those who don't have any real interests or passions outside of their relationships and social lives. And those types of girls are generally boring and not worth hanging out with, let alone dating.

Andrew2

Banned
ChrisReid said:
I'd come up with a witty reply, but I've got three hot supermodels begging me to come to bed right now.

I actually have photographs of these girls; ones who's mother parents is a friend of our family the other I went to high school with(though thats in my yearbook). My girl though I have images of, but she doesn't want me want me to post images of her on the internet; something I promised her especially since one of is way before she lost alot of weight.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DCharlie said:
online divorce ... in Orgrimmar...
I just need to kill FFXI - i just find it so... crap (sorry FFXI fans)

the rows get really tetchy. and i suck at arguing...

I rolled out the "you keep saying you are a gamer - but that's bull - you only play ONE game these days!" gambit in the heat of an argument.

Her response was "you are too busy talking about gaming on GAF to play games! Come on then, what were the last games _you_ finished and when was it you finished them? Oh, that's right - i've finished 5 games THIS MONTH _and_ played FFXI. What did you manage? Did you get past the load screen on Tekken 5 yet? or are you still struggling on the 'opening the plastic wrapping' level?"

Pwnt.

Every day she just reinforces it "Finished Wander yet? Finished DQ8 yet? Finished FEAR yet? Finished Doom 3 : Res yet? ... oh, _what_ a surprise! no to all of them!"

.... it's never to late to call off a wedding! ;) * i kid *

Never mind dude, at least you can log on to xbox live with her account and feel like a real gamer for a couple of hours.

[Take that DCs e-penis!]

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my girlfriend actually likes DS. Not as much as me, but shes ok with it. I did get in a bit of trouble when I tried to give her some attention while mario kart was searching for a match though. Pissed her off and I was like "Baby, this shit takes weeks to find a match cmon"

Lakitu

st5fu
Having a gf gamer is not essential, as was mentioned before, there are other things to do besides playing games. My gf is not a huge fan but she does like to play now and again whenever she gets the chance and when she does she's really into it, I'm thinking of introducing her to Zelda this January.

Andrew2

Banned
chaostrophy said:
From my experience it seems like a lot of the girls who have problems with gaming are those who don't have any real interests or passions outside of their relationships and social lives. And those types of girls are generally boring and not worth hanging out with, let alone dating.

Before my love interest, I nearly ended up with one. Even though I could she wasn't in-tuned with gaming though, she still would've been someone nice to be with. Unfortunately because of career paths we had to go our seperate ways.

I do miss her alot though :( :(

callous

chaostrophy said:
From my experience it seems like a lot of the girls who have problems with gaming are those who don't have any real interests or passions outside of their relationships and social lives. And those types of girls are generally boring and not worth hanging out with, let alone dating.

That's so true and exactly why I won't have a girlfriend who doesn't have some kind of hobby she is passionate about, and I mean apart from me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
online divorce ... in Orgrimmar...
I just need to kill FFXI - i just find it so... crap (sorry FFXI fans)
:lol
Sorry, I feel for you, I really do, it's just, funny to be angry with a game you don't even play.

the rows get really tetchy. and i suck at arguing...
What, after all those years of practicing with Kaching, you're still bad at it? :p
Or is it just that your brain works the wrong way when arguing with a girl? ;)

YellowAce said:
I don't know of many gaymers in Tokyo, other than Sho Nuff.
Doesn't that make a total of two?

Ulairi

Banned
My gf got me back into gaming. She doesn't game, never will, but when you work on games for a living, sometimes you get tired of playing them. Spending time with her is a enough of a break and relaxes me enough to the point that I'll start to play again.

atomsk

Party Pooper
this reminds me of a girl who had come in when i was working at gamestop asking about Oblivion, FOR THE PC. if i wasnt at work i totally would have asked her out. stupid stupid me.

The guy owns an x-box what would you expect? hes doomed from the start ... i remember one time i met this girl and we went out chick loved all nintendo games from mario to smash bros. but then i found out later she was on cocaine :lol so that explains why she enjoyied computer games.

I dont like my girlfriend playing computer games because its what keeps her female to me and not a dweeb she can be into her shitty kids movies and i can enjoy my anime and my computer games, the only game character my current chick knows is pac man and i want to keep it that way because computer games and girls to me aint cool.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
atomsk said:
this reminds me of a girl who had come in when i was working at gamestop asking about Oblivion, FOR THE PC. if i wasnt at work i totally would have asked her out. stupid stupid me.

Maybe it was just a gift for her boyfriend ;)

It appears the guy to girl ration is 99% in this thread. That is way too high for a hardcore gamer forum.

Anyway, I have never really had but two love interest in my life. The second one I am happily married to right now. She doesn’t like, or play games. No big deal because we share other interests. As someone said it before it is all about balance.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
My wife plays games like meteos, tetris and board games, but I can't seem to get her into games like Halo and stuff. When I was a teenager, I used to play about 11 hours a week, which halved in my twenties and is now about 1-2 hours a week now that I'm married. I wish there was more time in the day :)

I've dated several women who were into games, one even played as much as I do. It was fun to be able to share the games and together, but it doesn't make or break a relationship. My current gf plays a little. It has to be the right game, but she understands my gaming habits and lets me play most of the time. On the other hand, I don't let it interfere with the rest of my life. I make time when I can, but I also don't neglect her over a game. Well, at least most of the time. ;)

DCX

DCX
I had a gaming wife, and let me tell you...it was the only good thing about her, and then not so much. She wanted to play her games, we had to split gaming time. She pushed for games for herself, tried to influence my game choices to more multiplayer-centric titles and we often settled matters with some best of 5 games of Power Stone. At first ultra cool, but when she is playing more than you, worrying about blue coin locations than cooking and taking care of our baby...there is a problem. It's almost like i was the wife...which has helped me being a single parent mind you...so i guess everything works out.

The perfect solution. A GF/wife who doesn't mind watching you play at times, plays once in a while, and find something to do while you are playing iE: read a book, talk to her friends on the phone, or give me a blowjob as i'm about to beat Wellie in a game of Madden :lol

DCX

DCharlie

Banned
the one MASSIVE advantage of a true gamer girlfriend is that when you actually do play games together there is none of this "oh wow - look at that! you beat me!" crap where you pretend you just couldn't hit the punch button in VF4 and they just happened to get the final hit... after 10 seconds... with you just standing there...

I admit, i get tanked at a lot of games vs. the future Mrs C. Time crisis series in particular, Bomberman ... , Mario Tennis... Halo... etc etc... :(

Haleon said:
I don't think I'd enjoy dating a girl that liked video games as much as I do. Opposites attract and all.

just to add....because my wife isn't into games I find that I actually tend to enjoy the time I have playing games even more. the time I spend playing games becomes even more precious so I don't bother playing games that are mediocre because i'm bored.

LordMaji

alexxx said:
BRB, gonna go run Scarlet Monastery with my girlfriend.

Theres alot of BF's/GF's, husband/wifes playing wow, I met a couple on the horde that helped me w/ Wailing Caverns, & I quest w/ a couple alot w/ my alliance chars.

Uldaman here we come! :lol

To bad my wife doesnt get into it. :(

atomsk

Party Pooper
Dr_Cogent said:
Maybe it was just a gift for her boyfriend ;)

actually i inquired if she had a decent enough rig to run the game, to which she replied "absolutely". she seemed genuinley excited about the game. and while i was standing there with another customer inquiring about next-gen stuff, she mentioned there was nothing special about revolutions download service, because it can be done on a modded xbox :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I dated a girl who didn't care at all for games once (looked on bored as I played Shenmue or Smash Bros)... and now, 3 years later she's a lesbian who loves Xenosaga and Kingdom Hearts and RPGs (just not the Final Fantasy series). Then I dated a girl who didn't play games because of time constraints but owned a Saturn and loved Dragon Force. She was a fucking whackjob and totally went off on me for being a spoiled rich bastard from Long Island (cuz EVERYONE around here is rich, yeah right... :p) after we broke up. Then dated a girl who beat TOS and Baten Kaitos before me and spoiled them. She liked RPGs but had such weird taste - hated FF4 but loved Baten Kaitos (???) Last girlfriend wasn't really interested in games, I showed her Rez and she thought that was pretty cool. But she dumped me for another guy before our relationship really took off.

I don't care whether or not they like games, as long as they have tolerance for the fact I happen to enjoy and am knowledgable about video games.

I got a date with a girl who owns a Gamecube on Sat, and we're going to Dave and Busters... So that should be cool.

DCharlie

Banned
"Poor DCharlie. You'd think she'd at least get addicted to a GOOD game."

she does have good taste usually though.
When i first met her, she was addicted to Aliens vs Predator (the arcade Capcom game)

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Error Macro said:
Gentlemen, I propose we start an organization to counter this infuriating opposition of our pastime during the late hours from the opposite sex. It shall be known as:

Videogamers Against Girlfriends who Interfere with Nocturnal Activities

or

V.A.G.I.N.A.

Maybe if you started a message board about it MTV would report on that too.

Stryder

djtiesto said:
Last girlfriend wasn't really interested in games, I showed her Rez and she thought that was pretty cool. But she dumped me for another guy before our relationship really took off.
You forgot to show it her with one of these:
reztrance1.gif

:D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stryder said:
You forgot to show it her with one of these:
reztrance1.gif

:D

Hells yeah but I only have the DC version so no trance vibrator yet... Though I ordered 2 copies of the US PS2 in that GQD deal so who knows?

Top Bottom