• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

None of you really care, but I got a wide angle lens for my camcorder (with images!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

DCR-TRV310 37mm

inside1.jpg

- Standard lens, 4:3 mode

inside2.jpg

- Standard lens, 16:9 mode

inside3.jpg

- Wide angle lens converter (0.6), with 16:9 mode

outside1.jpg

- Standard lens, 4:3 mode

outside2.jpg

- Standard lens, 16:9 mode

outside3.jpg

- Wide angle lens converter (0.6), with 16:9 mode

goodcow

Fifty said:
Heh, I have that same camera. Good idea getting that lens, it makes a big big difference.

I still love this camera even though it's old... the fact that it has a real 16:9 mode whereas even the VX2100 doesn't is just amazing.

Fifty

I really like its size (and the size of the LCD) I've worked with bigger cameras in the past, so if I were to switch to a small handicam, it would be a pain in the ass (I've tried). This baby has a little meat on its bones. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Misleading, you got a converter ;)

B&H kicks ass. That's where I'll be getting all my stuff from real soon.

goodcow

teiresias said:
I didn't think wide angle lenses were supposed to introduce that curvature to the image.

That's more because it's a converter, and not an actual wide angle lens I swapped in, and also it was only $45. (they went up to $150 for my camcorder, but I'm just trying these things out now)

Dan

Yes, but wide angle lenses do indeed add some distortion, bulging the image outward as you near the edges. That's normal.

goodcow

Dan said:
Yes, but wide angle lenses do indeed add some distortion, bulging the image outward as you near the edges. That's normal.

I thought the high end ones don't? (depending of course upon how wide you get... i.e. not fisheye)

Dan

goodcow said:
I thought the high end ones don't? (depending of course upon how wide you get... i.e. not fisheye)
Nah, it's really just the nature of the beast. Depending on the subject of the shot though, the distortion may or may not be noteworthy. Really just depends on the distance between the subject and the camera. Close-ups are going to be obviously distorted, but push that distance back and it can get minimal pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom