• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosferatu is the next film from Robert Eggers (The Witch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazgul

anyway i nominate adam driver for lead

Adam-Driver-Golden-Globes-Skit-SNL-2016-Video.jpg

Finally a role perfect for his ears. It's why he went dark side you know, all the other jedi kids teased him about his dumbo look.

Witch was a pleasant surprise, so definitely looking forward to this one as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Babadook was a letdown. It Follows is much better. And The Wailing puts everything else to shame.

I thought It Follows was a wonderful concept and a great sound track that was absolutely squandered on the invisible dry humper and a woefully under written story. It was a muddled mess that veered in several different directions but didn't follow through on any of them.

watershed

Banned
Is there anything left to be done with Nosferatu? I feel like we've seen enough film adaptations. I don't think there is anything new to be said with it.

I kind of want him to work with Ralph Ineson again just for that voice

Would Doug Jones make a good Orlok, or would that be a too much of a type-cast choice?
I think Ralph Ineson would be a fantastic choice.

Doug Jones would work I think because i believe they'd turn him into something completely different from what he's done in the past.

Others I can see in the role are Jackie Earle Haley and Rudy Giuliani.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Doug Jones can be whatever he wants. Even with minimal prosthetic works the guy is amazing. Anyone interested in an example of this should check out the anthology series Fear Itself and specifically the episode Skin and Bones. The show itself wasn't great but this episode was absolutely fan-fucking-tastic and in huge part because Jones went all in.

fearitself~designlogo.jpg

Fritz

For starters, Nosferatu is pure pestilence. He doesn't have any redeeming or even human qualities. Contrary to Dracula. That will be incredibly hard to cats especially in Hollywood I'ld imagine.

Also Nosferatu feels like a deeply german material (despite basically being a skin of Dracula) whereas VVITCH worked so well because it was so deeply american. I don't know, it just seems like it needs more than studying history to get it quite right.

Either way cool to get a new Nosferatu.

For starters, Nosferatu is pure pestilence. He doesn't have any redeeming or even human qualities. Contrary to Dracula. That will be incredibly hard to cats especially in Hollywood I'ld imagine.

Also Nosferatu feels like a deeply german material (despite basically being a skin of Dracula) whereas VVITCH worked so well because it was so deeply american. I don't know, it just seems like it needs more than studying history to get it quite right.
History and 1800s vampire beliefs. I imagine he'll be using primary sources to craft his Orlok much like he used the direct Purtian sources and beliefs on witches

So think less Dracula and more whatever people back then thought vampires were like

Fritz

History and 1800s vampire beliefs. I imagine he'll be using primary sources to craft his Orlok much like he used the direct Purtian sources and beliefs on witches

So think less Dracula and more whatever people back then thought vampires were like

See, that's what's making me a bit wary. I mean these 1800s Century believes aren't really existend. Vampires are basically just recently deceased family member that are haunting their families and are taking their life force. It's really wishy-washy. Certainly Nosferatu has as little to do with those as Dracula. It will not add anything fundamental or worthwhile to the film imho.

Nosferatu is absolute evil infiltrating your world. Not like a terrorist or something, you could (potentially) reason with those. He's a desease, a force of nature, not a human. He's the black plague. That's why he looks like a rat. I don't know if that concept is as ingrained into the greater conscience of the US as it is in Europe.

Look at the VVITCH. It was the horror that is the untamed nature that was driving that movie. To me that feels like a core American experience.

It will be cool to see where he is going with the material.

Ok, this is going to be amazing.

I hope this will stay true to the original vampire lore Stoker Style. Cant take another move with modern vampire bullshit added
See, that's what's making me a bit wary. I mean these 1800s Century believes aren't really existend. Vampires are basically just recently deceased family member that are haunting their families and are taking their life force. It's really wishy-washy. Certainly Nosferatu has as little to do with those as Dracula. It will not add anything fundamental or worthwhile to the film imho.

Nosferatu is absolute evil infiltrating your world. Not like a terrorist or something, you could (potentially) reason with those. He's a desease, a force of nature, not a human. He's the black plague. That's why he looks like a rat. I don't know if that concept is as ingrained into the greater conscience of the US as it is in Europe.

Look at the VVITCH. It was the horror that is the untamed nature that was driving that movie. To me that feels like a core American experience.

It will be cool to see where he is going with the material.
If The Witch is any indication, you won't have to worry about modern vampire bullshit

I'm sure he'll definitely keep those core aspects of Nosferatu, given his love for the movie, while expanding on it with historical aspects

Some 1800s folklore and Germanic vampire myths (Not sure how accurate the sources are)
...Vampires were corpses, who went out of their graves at night to suck the blood of the living, either at their throats or stomachs, after which they returned to their cemeteries. The persons so sucked waned, grew pale, and fell into consumption
Some Kashubes believed that the Nachzehrer would leave its grave, shapeshifting into the form of a pig, and pay a visit to their family members to feast on their blood. In addition, the Nachzehrer was able to ascend to a church belfry to ring the bells, bringing death to anyone who hears them. Another lesser known ability of the Nachzehrer is the power it had to bring death by causing its shadow to fall upon someone. Those hunting the Nachzehrer in the graveyard would listen for grunting sounds that it would make while it munched on its grave clothes.[1]
http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/vampires-german/
Nachtzehrers were believed to chew on their own extremities and cloths until they had been satiated. They would then rise out of their graves and devour the bodies of others like ghouls. They were often accompanied by the corpse of a woman who had died during childbirth. If the vampire had been buried in a coffin, the corpse would be found lying in pools of blood because he had gorged himself to the point where he could not retain all the blood he had consumed.
That last part would make for some gruesome imagery. Imagine that combined with the classic "Orlok rising from his coffin"

Fritz

If The Witch is any indication, you won't have to worry about modern vampire bullshit

I'm sure he'll definitely keep those core aspects of Nosferatu, given his love for the movie, while expanding on it with historical aspects

Some 1800s folklore and Germanic vampire myths (Not sure how accurate the sources are)

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/vampires-german/

See, that's all so loose. I am German. Believe me there are no concepts behind those in german folkore. Blutsauger is more commonly used towards bankers and landlords than to any folkloristic entity. Nachtzehrer is frankly bullshit. It's called Nachzehrer ("nach" means "after" from "after death") and has been made popular by Gothic literature imho. You won't find a hint of those or vampires in any collection of german folklore. We have dwarfs and giants and fairies and witches. But no vampires.

There is not enough meat on this folklore to add anything to a story.

Either way cool to get a new Nosferatu.

The Klaus Kinski Nosferatu is a better Orlok precisely because Kinski imbued him with humanity and soul instead of just being a giant rat like Max Schreck.

Horror movies make the most sensible remakes. Folklore is something that was all about the retelling. The stories would be passed down, but they would be made relevant to the issues facing the current audience. That's why there tends to be so many different versions of old folk stories. That's not to say they have to be set in the present but values and perceptions change enough that by simply telling them in the present they take on a new meanings.

I haven't seen The Witch, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. And Eggers seems like he has a distinct point of view, so I'm definitely interested in this.

On a side note, one of the coolest cinema moments for myself was seeing Murnau's Nosferatu on the big screen (on Halloween) in an old movie palace that opened in 1924. Undoubtedly Nosferatu played there when it debuted in America in 1929.

Gilzor

I think Javier Bardem is a great shout for this kind of movie. I'd love to see Ben Mendelsohn in a role like that too.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
People actually think the Herzog remake is better than the original? WTF.

Anyway, I loved The Witch, so I'm looking forward to this.

Omg I am so glad he finally confirmed it. Both the original and the Herzog remake are seminal horror films but I think this guy can really do the movie justice as well

The Witch was proof that he already had a great handle on atmosphere which is lacking in other horror directors and also integral to Nosferatu. Hella excited for this

Go back to pod 6 with the rest of the do-nothing jerkwads, Eggers. One single more word out of you and you're on report! You understand me? THAT'S IT YOU'RE ON REPORT

It is better than the original. More complex characters and themes, better pacing, better music, and it sacrifices none of the atmosphere or visual splendor.

The original is a masterpiece of silent cinema as a piece of gothic expressionism, but Herzog's transcends it. It's a really fucking incredible movie.

The original is a great silent film, but it is, in the end, basically just a creepy horror movie with some great visuals. The Herzog film has even better visuals, several great performances, very biting and bleak writing, unexpected twists, and real depth that the original lacks.

Combichristoffersen

It is better than the original. More complex characters and themes, better pacing, better music, and it sacrifices none of the atmosphere or visual splendor.

The original is a masterpiece of silent cinema as a piece of gothic expressionism, but Herzog's transcends it. It's a really fucking incredible movie.

Can't agree with you there. While the remake is not bad, there was just nothing in it that managed to hold my attention like Murnau's brilliant use of contrast, and Schreck's portrayal of Nosferatu as what the vampire originally was; a walking rodent, a disease manifested in person. I do have both on DVD, so I guess I should rewatch the remake, although I don't think it would do much to change my opinion on it.

Here's hoping it's not as boring as his previous film.

(sorry, I really didn't like The Witch, despite its gorgeous cinematography)

Can't agree with you there. While the remake is not bad, there was just nothing in it that managed to hold my attention like Murnau's brilliant use of contrast, and Schreck's portrayal of Nosferatu as what the vampire originally was; a walking rodent, a disease manifested in person. I do have both on DVD, so I guess I should rewatch the remake, although I don't think it would do much to change my opinion on it.

Just let the sounds of Popul Vuh wash over you and feel the impending darkness as Harker treks through the mountains is evoked through a combination of grounded naturalism and mythic grandeur that is retained through the rest of the film. It doesn't have the immediately eye popping images that Murnau's expressionist imagery afforded, but it's absolutely not lacking for powerful aesthetics.

Kinski's Dracula is much more an embodiment of disease. He's gaunt, sickly, sad, and lonely, hating his existence yet unwilling to embrace death. Both versions are great, but the Herzog version is great art that deals in the realm of idea, whereas the original is more a simple fairy tale with a killer aesthetic.

Kinski's Dracula is much more an embodiment of disease. He's gaunt, sickly, sad, and lonely, hating his existence yet unwilling to embrace death. Both versions are great, but the Herzog version is great art that deals in the realm of idea, whereas the original is more a simple fairy tale with a killer aesthetic.

"Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst... Can you imagine enduring centuries, experiencing each day the same futilities..."

Never seen the originals, but if Nosferatu speaks and requires a good actor, than go for Doug Jones. If he's simply a really creepy presence, then get Javier Botet, dude is the go-to guy for looking otherworldly and physically disturbing.

Apparently Doug Jones was already cast in some low profile remake of nosferatu...

For this one I think Mendelsohn or Dafoe would be great (is the latter cheating tho if he starred in a making of the remake?)

Kinski's portrayal offered some depth to the character though. Wonder what Eggers does with this one to separate it. Or will he just take the same cues from Herzog. I dunno, if this is his first choice after witch then he has to have something up his sleeve

Watch both when you can btw

HarryKS

Having recently watched the Witch on Netflix after reading the conflicting reviews, I'm all for it. The Witch was very, very good.

obin_gam

Super psyched for this!

Never seen the originals, but if Nosferatu speaks and requires a good actor, than go for Doug Jones. If he's simply a really creepy presence, then get Javier Botet, dude is the go-to guy for looking otherworldly and physically disturbing.

Hah! I was just going to post that Botet would be perfect for a 21th Century Orlock!

Combichristoffersen

They are indeed very different types of movie. The original is a straight up horror movie dealing with a creature that is obviously inhuman, a literal force of evil. The remake is more of a melancholic drama, so to say, mulling over life and the nature of humanity. Orlok in the remake is not so obviously an inhuman force of evil, he is more humane and conflicted, more of a tragic antihero.

But I don't really watch Nosferatu for melancholy and a humanized antihero vampire, I'd rather watch Coppola's Dracula for that, but for the horror of Orlok being evil manifest. So yeah, while the Herzog remake is certainly not a bad movie, it's just not really what I want or expect from Nosferatu.

There are very few directors that would make this an exciting prospect, but Eggers is definitely one of them! He has my full confidence after The Witch.

Combichristoffersen

I'm so in.

We haven't had a good vampire movie in eons, I really don't mind if it's a remake.

Haven't seen it myself, but 'A girl walks home alone at night' is supposedly rather good. Besides that I can't think of any good, major vampire movies from recent times.

The Witch isn't a film you "enjoy," for me rather it's something I appreciate more than I have a desire to rewatch. I think that's fine and intentional. It was super well made and the atmosphere was crazy, so I'm very much interested in this.

Didn't see the former but absolutely loved the latter. Talking about Vampires being a force of Nature. That film was so tense and I am a casual horror nut.
30 Days faltered at the end IMO, but besides that, those vampires were absolutely terrifying. I definitely recommend Stake Land; it's bleak, brutal, and also goes for that animalistic monstrous style of vampires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom