• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosferatu is the next film from Robert Eggers (The Witch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombie

Let Me In is substantially better than the original.

-warmer colors
-better isolation of the main character (his mother's face is always obscured, she's an alcoholic)
-no silly lady with cats side story
-more freudian

The stupid cgi cat scene is the only thing keeping the film from perfection. The casting and performances are unbelievable. I don't understand the "warmer colors" thing -- it was a conscious decision. It's winter in Sweden, it looks how it feels. The remake is a little too slick for me.

Linkura

There's really no need for a Nosferatu remake... but The VVitch was very good...

nsr.gif

There's really no need for a Nosferatu remake... but The VVitch was very good...

nsr.gif
Considering he’s going for period-accurate atmosphere and vampire lore, I think this is going to be a very different film than both the original and Herzog’s version. Less a remake, more a reinterpretation

Considering he’s going for period-accurate atmosphere and vampire lore, I think this is going to be a very different film than both the original and Herzog’s version. Less a remake, more a reinterpretation

Yeah, I get the feeling this remake is going to be like The Thing or The Fly in that it's going to be very different from the original film.

Is it going to be silent, in black and white, with title cards and someone playing the piano live during showings? No? *table flip*

I saw a screening of the original at a local cinema some years back and it was awesome.

Is it going to be silent, in black and white, with title cards and someone playing the piano live during showings? No? *table flip*

I saw a screening of the original at a local cinema some years back and it was awesome.

The OG Nosferatu isn’t black and white though!

It uses a bunch of color tints. Yellow, red, teal, and purple.
nosferatu-1922-max-schreck-as-count-orlok-rising-from-his-coffin.jpg

Yup. It was common practice for a lot of silent era films to tint the footage in order to help differentiate between the times of day/night and sources of light in a scene (I.e. outdoor natural light vs lightbulbs or candlelight indoors).

Nameless

Day 0. The Witch might honestly me in my Top 10. Saw it twice in theaters and several more times at home and it keeps getting better and better.

Sera O

Banned
I'm interested. I love the original, and Herzog's Nosferatu is one of my favourite movies. I'm always spellbound starting that movie up, and there are so many images from it burned into my mind.

The struggle to understand the rise of fascism and Hitler's Germany just one generation before was a fixation of German film when Herzog remade it. That spread of disease and madness. Since that kind of thinking is seeing a resurgence I'd like to see if this is also explored in the remake, especially given the psychological approach to horror Eggers has.

Day 0. The Witch might honestly me in my Top 10. Saw it twice in theaters and several more times at home and it keeps getting better and better.

Yeah, same here. Aside from maybe Blade Runner 2049 recently, no other film I've seen this decade has impressed me and stuck with me the same way that The Witch has. That's not to say that I haven't seen any other great films- I absolutely have (i.e. Why Don't You Play in Hell?, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Matt Reeves' Planet of the Apes films, Baby Driver)- it's just that there's something truly special about The Witch as a film.

I genuinely believe that The Witch is going to be one of those films that people keep talking about more and more as the years go on. It's a modern classic in filmmaking.

Also, since Anya Taylor-Joy is coming back for Nosferatu, perhaps either Ralph Ineson (William) or Daniel Chaudhry (aka
Mr. "Wouldst Thou Like to Live Deliciously?"
) could return to play Count Orlok? The latter could potentially be a really neat pick for the role too, I think...

1463026312_wahab%20the%20witch.jpg

I would recommend Dafoe but that would prolly be cheating

That goat man from the witch is a pretty good suggestion tho. But I think he will end up casting a more known face

I would recommend Dafoe but that would prolly be cheating

That goat man from the witch is a pretty good suggestion tho. But I think he will end up casting a more known face

I'm honestly not sure about that. Eggers was completely fine with casting unknown actors for The Witch when he made that film, as his goal in casting there was to find people that were actually capable of delivering the film's old-fashioned dialogue in a truly convincing manner.

Seeing as how Eggers has already gone on record as saying that he wants to continue the trend from The Witch by being historically accurate to 1830s Germany in his Nosferatu, I wouldn't be surprised if a similar sort of dialogue is present in that film too (and by extension a similar requirement on his behalf in terms of casting)- even if it is an English language film set in Germany. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to wager that Eggers might revisit the casting pool from The Witch again for one or two other key roles in the film.

Chaudhry definitely stands out to me in that he has that sort of body build to play a convincing Orlok and his voice in that scene from The Witch is very memorable. But then again, Eggers has also said that he wants to look back into the old folklores of vampirism at the time for influence too, so who knows how similar or different his vision for Orlok is compared to Murnau's and Herzog's?

But who knows? After The Witch, I do think Eggers could probably get a bigger name for Orlok too if he wanted to.

We shouldn't assume that the vampire here will look or act anything like the classic Orlok, considering Eggers will be mining actual folklore and:

This vampire may be more akin to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachzehrer

I'm well aware of the quote and it's something that has me very excited about the film. However the folklore stuff I've seen so far doesn't seem to provide much in the way of visual descriptions of this particular sort of vampire- in fact, I've seen some sites just post pictures of Count Orlok or drawings obviously inspired by that design.

It's the "acting" that I suspect will be primarily different from the previous Nosferatu films. I'm sure Eggers will at least tinker around with the design of Orlok a bit, but I'd be very surprised if his Orlok bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever visually to the original vision from Murnau.

Steamlord

Also, since Anya Taylor-Joy is coming back for Nosferatu, perhaps either Ralph Ineson (William) or Daniel Chaudhry (aka
Mr. "Wouldst Thou Like to Live Deliciously?"
) could return to play Count Orlok? The latter could potentially be a really neat pick for the role too, I think...

1463026312_wahab%20the%20witch.jpg

My god, I didn't even think about this

UrbanRats

Both Nosferatu movies are 10/10’s for me, so yeah it’ll be tough to top. But if there’s one dude who’s perfect for the material right now it’s Eggers, and I could see him doing something interesting with it with his penchant for grounding his horror in real world details and folklore.
Honestly, doesn't even need to be as good, to be worthwhile.

I hope (and think) he'll bring his very own vision to the table, and not just try to stay faithful to whatever came before.
Best case scenario.

When you guys talk about Herzog's version, are you talking about the English cut or the German cut?
I only watched the German one, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom