• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

I wanted Krang but his body creeped me out. So I found they made a smaller figure which was just Krang himself and a weird bipod machine sans giant pinhead creepy yellow man.

The TMNT ones were apparently too expensive, so my family would get our toys at the bargain stores. They were still TMNT, but instead of the turtles I got ones like the Panda.

Ba4Ka.jpg

I wanted Krang but his body creeped me out. So I found they made a smaller figure which was just Krang himself and a weird bipod machine sans giant pinhead creepy yellow man.

This guy?
5056.jpg

Yeah I had him. They released him in 1989 or so. That's when I was really big into Turtles.

The Krang BODY wasn't released until 1993 or so. I don't know what took 'em so long. Feh!

bengraven

The TMNT ones were apparently too expensive, so my family would get our toys at the bargain stores. They were still TMNT, but instead of the turtles I got ones like the Panda.

My family hated paying the prices - they were like $6 a figure even back in the late 80s. So I didn't get many TMNT except for birthdays and Christmas.

But that said, my wife and I were at a thrift store a few months ago and someone had turned in their entire TMNT collection. The shopkeep was selling bags that contained two figures and some random accessories for just $2 a bag! She had a massive storage container loaded with them. I only bought 5, but I got the figures I had always wanted (Usagi, Donatello) and some I owned and needed to buy again (Mondo Gecko, Michaelangelo).

This guy?

Yeah I had him. They released him in 1989 or so. That's when I was really big into Turtles.

The Krang BODY wasn't released until 1993 or so. I don't know what took 'em so long. Feh!

Ah, okay, and yeah, this is the Krang I had. He had a little "pocket" on his underside to hold him in there and I "accidently" shoved a marble in there and could never get it out. I also had a weird thing about chewing on his arms and nearly bit one off.

I had issues.

LogicStep

Anyone know a robot toy that looks kinda like Wall-E but it's white with some black and red accents? I've never been able to find a picture online of it.

Ricky_R

Had this exact Micro Machines city. It was a like a lunch box kind of thing that turned into a city. I also had like an oil can that turned into a place to "fix" cars IIRC.

micro-machines-huge-lot-cars-planes-toolbox-city_170597950877.jpg

Had so much fun with this TMNT sewer play set

sewerplaysetmib1c.jpg

bengraven

Micro Machines came at the tail end of both my single-digits years and the more prosperous years for my family. So when they were out I was starting to become "too old" for them and frankly couldn't afford them.

I regret it. There were so many I wanted, though I did get a few including one of the awesome MM trains.

Ricky_R

Micro Machines came at the tail end of both my single-digits years and the more prosperous years for my family. So when they were out I was starting to become "too old" for them and frankly couldn't afford them.

I regret it. There were so many I wanted, though I did get a few including one of the awesome MM trains.

I reached the "too old" phase when the Jurassic Park toys were out. I was big enough to feel ashamed if people knew I was still playing with toys and kid enough to still get exited about them. My parents bought me quite a few Jurassic Park toys and I had a lot of fun with them, but I was hiding the fact that I was still playing with them. Then it hit me and I never used them again.

I still think about my toys, any of them, and I feel nostalgic as hell. I'm 30 now.

bengraven

IITRC.jpg

PCKBs.jpg

^^^ I forgot those even EXISTED. We had them in my junior high. I remember begging the school nurse for a quarter because bullies stole my pencil.

I reached the "too old" phase when the Jurassic Park toys were out. I was big enough to feel ashamed if people knew I was still playing with toys and kid enough to still get exited about them. My parents bought me quite a few Jurassic Park toys and I had a lot of fun with them, but I was hiding the fact that I was still playing with them. Then it hit me and I never used them again.

I still think about my toys, any of them, and I feel nostalgic as hell. I'm 30 now.

I'm 32, so we're close. In fact, I remember other than a couple of Star Wars toys in 1997, that The Lost World were my first "collector's" toys - you know, buying toys because they looked cool despite being way too old for them.

Being 18 and pretending to be buying some JP toys because "um, my little brother is going to love them, I think...yeah...".

BFIB

This was the last toy I ever got:

trex.jpg

I was pretty much over toys by then, but it looked too cool to pass up.

This thing is one of my fondest, earliest memories.

4540457705.jpg

It played 45's, and I had a little stack of Woody Woodpecker, Jungle Book and whatever. It took D batteries and the needle was in the lid and would fall in the right place when you closed it. Man I loved that thing. I also had some of those books with a record tucked into the last page, that you could read along with and "turn the page when you hear the chime".

Like this:

Black+Hole+LP+Book_01.jpg

When I was a little older, Hardees gave them away for movies like Goonies and Gremlins:

49d96b0635848_53443b.jpg

bengraven

pd0D8.png

AmTgd.jpg

I can just taste these by looking at them. Strange how most of my childhood sensations that I actually remember were tasting and smelling. Poor fat kids.

RqRB2.jpg

I'm 32, so yeah, the last 'toy' stage I hit was when TMNT was huge (so...hmmm... '89/'90)

By the time Krang's full body suit was released ('93, I think?) I was totally done with toys. It bummed me out a little, but I got over it. I was far more interested in SNES games at that point. :D

bengraven

I'm 32, so yeah, the last 'toy' stage I hit was when TMNT was huge (so...hmmm... '89/'90)

By the time Krang's full body suit was released ('93, I think?) I was totally done with toys. It bummed me out a little, but I got over it. I was far more interested in SNES games at that point. :D

Yep, exact same as me, down to the age and it was Genesis and X-men comics.

I do remember being a bit jealous of some kids' toys, already thinking "they never had stuff like that when I was a kid". Then again things like Power Rangers came out and I would say "kids shows are getting so much worse than when I was a kid". Which was only a few years earlier. ha

tumblr_lks9ioDz4M1qb3mmfo1_1280.jpg

[/IMG]

Now I know where he got them from.

I had the black triangle ones with pink temples.

I wore them for over a year, though not in public...

Ricky_R

Hell yes.

I also had this:

party-wagon.jpg

Oh Lord... Me too. I had both of those and the sewer base.

Yep, exact same as me, down to the age and it was Genesis and X-men comics.

I do remember being a bit jealous of some kids' toys, already thinking "they never had stuff like that when I was a kid". Then again things like Power Rangers came out and I would say "kids shows are getting so much worse than when I was a kid". Which was only a few years earlier. ha

Do you guys happen to know when were the Jurassic Park toys released? I'm trying to figure out what age I had by then. I'm certain I was kinda of old to be playing with toys.

The first movie released in 1993 and I was 11 years old by then. I supposed that I was 11, 12 or even 13 years old when I started to outgrow toys.

I had this base with some other stuff.

compound.jpg

bengraven

Oh Lord... Me too. I had both of those and the sewer base.

Do you guys happen to know when were the Jurassic Park toys released? I'm trying to figure out what age I had by then. I'm certain I was kinda of old to be playing with toys.

The first movie released in 1993 and I was 11 years old by then. I supposed that I was 11, 12 or even 13 years old when I started to outgrow toys.

I had this base with some other stuff.

JP toys came out when I was 15, so that fits with your description. If you're 30, then you were 13 when you were outgrowing them.

I always wanted toys from the first run, especially the big dinos with the removable flesh. Can you imagine them trying to do that today? Hell, it was weird they got away with it back then. Actually ripping a piece of flesh from a toy...

Also, I never got the TMNT van. My uncle was buying it for me for Christmas the year it came out, then he suddenly got called into service in the Phillipines. Luckily, as spoiled and stubborn as I was, I didn't whine TOO MUCH because I was more worried for him.

He later brought me back some totally awesome Korean bug robot things that I wasn't allowed to play with because I was "too young" but I later found out it was because she was scared the Asians put poison in their toys. Pretty racist, though somewhat factual if you think about lead in paints these days. :p

bengraven

58qk3.jpg

My first "girlfriend" had one of these when we were a kid, as well as Hi ho Cherry O that I linked earlier. She lived in the apartment next door and was really cute and we were "in love" for years (and yeah, we were 5 years old). Until my best friend took her from me at age 7. I got back at him by stealing his girlfriend when we were 19. True story.

Anyway, she had all these girly toys, but was also a huge tom boy and had THIS:

FrontCover.jpg

My mom had to ban her from playing this record for me, because I kept having nightmares about the "invisible man who eats people".

I had no idea what the name of the book was, but years later I was reading The Hobbit, got to "Riddles in the Dark" and had a mind blown moment.

Also, the girl next door got pregnant by a skater guy at age 14 and became a born again Christian. She's not as cool anymore.

Colorforms - YES. I am 32 as well, so this stuff is awesome.

I hit the motherload at age 10. We were in a flea market and I found a huge box for some early GI Joe Colorforms. So early in fact that there were none of the classic characters (Duke, Lady Jay, Snake Eyes). I bought it and brought it home and inside was another, smaller box. This box held like 4 other Playforms set, which were all really cool like MASK and TMNT. Unfortunately there was a Strawberry Shortcake one as well.

Holy crap that is quite a blast from the past.

What's really cool is that my kid gets to play with this, too. The local pediatrician has a ton of old school toys and this is one of them. I forgot how thick and heavy the coins were.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
What's really cool is that my kid gets to play with this, too. The local pediatrician has a ton of old school toys and this is one of them. I forgot how thick and heavy the coins were.

It's funny, I had forgotten all about that, but as soon as I saw that image I could almost feel it in my hands. And remember that if you press the buttons at the same time the coins get stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom