• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nov NPD Hardware and Software INCORRECT NUMBERS! GAF ON LIFESUPPORT!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Speevy said:
What the heck is this mess all about? Wrong numbers?

Yeah. Bunkum announced some numbers that NPD recalled because they were inaccurate. We should get the real numbers tomorrow.

_1323852_george_w_bush_ap300.jpg

Now hold on, we just don't know enough about the situation to know if we had bad intel or not.

:lol

Razoric

Banned
soundwave05 said:
_1323852_george_w_bush_ap300.jpg

Now hold on, we just don't know enough about the situation to know if we had bad intel or not.

:lol

john_kerry.jpg

GAF went to war on bad information. Time to pull the nerds out before anyone else gets banned.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Mrbob said:
Oh and so much for the PSP ownage Nintendo fans have been hinting at for November. 250 dollar portable keeping pace with a 130 dollar portable. Bodes well for the future. :)

That's the difference between you and someone with knowledge. Someone with any knowledge of business would know that price difference between the PSP and DS means jack shit. The DS is far cheaper to produce than the PSP, and Nintendo probably makes more profit than Sony on each DS?PSP bought. Nintendo is making alot of money in the handheld market, even more than Sony. That is what really matters.

donny2112

Ganondorf>Link said:
Um... I just edited before I found that out. :lol

Can I go back and re-edit them to what they were before?

It's sonycowboy's contest, so he would get the final say. I'd think so, though, considering:

1) I have your original HW numbers in the spreadsheet I used to calculate rankings.
2) Not much in the way of software numbers have been released.

Here's the part about not editing after market close on NPD Thursday. Plus, it makes sense that you wouldn't want people to predict/edit after the NPD spreadsheets are released. :)

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
If Nintendo loses in revenue, then we'll just switch to profits. ;)
There's no IF about it, Nintendo offers the cheapest hardware available with their handhelds/home console, do they not? (and they've had some real success with this strategy.)

I'm not saying the numbers aren't impressive, but everyone loves a bargain now, am I wrong?

I would be kind of interested to hear exactly how much each of the manufacturers are making/losing on their hardware. I don't know how anyone will know for sure, but far as I'm aware Sony and Microsoft are losing out on the PSP and 360 and I can't see Nintendo raking that much in if the GBA is going for as low as $44 some places, or am I underestimating how cheap components for 15 year old tech cost nowadays?

donny2112 said:
It's sonycowboy's contest, so he would get the final say. I'd think so, though, considering:

1) I have your original HW numbers in the spreadsheet I used to calculate rankings.
2) Not much in the way of software numbers have been released.

Here's the part about not editing after market close on NPD Thursday. Plus, it makes sense that you wouldn't want people to predict/edit after the NPD spreadsheets are released. :)

Ok well I guess we'll just see. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Flo_Evans

Juno said:
There's no IF about it, Nintendo offers the cheapest hardware available, don't they?

I'm not saying the numbers aren't impressive, but everyone loves a bargain now, am I wrong?

I would be kind of interested to hear exactly how much each of the manufacturers are making/losing on their hardware. I don't know how anyone will know for sure, but far as I'm aware Sony and Microsoft are losing out on the PSP and 360 and I can't see Nintendo raking that much in if the GBA is going for as low as $44 some places; or am I underestimating how cheap components for 15 year old tech cost nowadays?

Pretty sure Sony is profiting (or at least breaking even) with the PSP value/giga pack. MS is probably losing some dough on the core pack (and making a mint on those memory cards) I really doubt the HD and extra stuff in the premium cost them $100. If I remember right the BOM for the 360 premium was $450.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Flo_Evans said:
Pretty sure Sony is profiting (or at least breaking even) with the PSP value/giga pack. MS is probably losing some dough on the core pack (and making a mint on those memory cards) I really doubt the HD and extra stuff in the premium cost them $100. If I remember right the BOM for the 360 premium was $450.

Premium pack losses around $126 per unit.

BREAKING IT DOWN. An up-close look at the components and other materials used in the high-end version of the Xbox 360, which contains a hard drive, found that the materials inside the unit cost Microsoft $470 before assembly. The console sells at retail for $399, meaning a loss of $71 per unit -- and that is just the start.

Other items packaged with the console -- including the power supply, cables, and controllers -- add another $55 to Microsoft's cost, pushing the loss per unit to $126. These estimates include assumptions that Microsoft is getting a discount on many components.

That was the case with the first Xbox console, which contained about $323 worth of parts and materials when released, but sold at retail for $299. It's certainly not going to help Microsoft reverse the trend of losses in its home-entertainment segment. In the fiscal year ended June 30, that unit lost $391 million on sales just shy of $3.25 billion. That's a little more than 8% of Microsoft's total sales of $39.8 billion.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=72608

Mrbob

All Hail C-Webb said:
That's the difference between you and someone with knowledge. Someone with any knowledge of business would know that price difference between the PSP and DS means jack shit. The DS is far cheaper to produce than the PSP, and Nintendo probably makes more profit than Sony on each DS?PSP bought. Nintendo is making alot of money in the handheld market, even more than Sony. That is what really matters.

Thanks for posting all your knowledgable inside information on the profit margin of each piece of hardware.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Can't believe I missed this thread.

Anyways, they look bogus to me as everything looks is down from last year. If true, that would be one ominous sign for the industry. Definately not legit, though. Its fucking November, afterall.

RUN! The NPD is trying to find out who's leaking their numbers! IT'S A TRAP!

And every account got slightly different numbers. So, they can track them down.

Really? Yikes, I hope nobody gets in trouble or fired so we geeks can geek out on geeky stats. I think we all owe Bunkum even more thanks then he usually gets.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Information should be free.

Razoric said:
john_kerry.jpg

GAF went to war on bad information. Time to pull the nerds out before anyone else gets banned.

mccain7yq.jpg

The Game-FAQQi terrorists win if we cut and run now. Stay the course... no one wants to see a mother's only nerd get banned, but the numbers will fall our way soon.

Gahiggidy

BoxOffice stats are freely available on a "DAY-BY-DAY" basis. Why we don't have a similar situation for games is troubling.

maynerd

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
mccain7yq.jpg

The Game-FAQQi terrorists win if we cut and run now. Stay the course... no one wants to see a mother's only nerd die, but the numbers will fall our way soon.

EEK why does his face look so F'd up?!

Gahiggidy

What do you guys think about lobbying congress for a public-version of the NPD done via the Commerce Department?

heidern

Gahiggidy said:
Anyways, they look bogus to me as everything looks is down from last year. If true, that would be one ominous sign for the industry. Definately not legit, though. Its fucking November, afterall.
What, do you truly lack faith in Saturo Iwata?

Gahiggidy said:
What do you guys think about lobbying congress for a public-version of the NPD done via the Commerce Department?
I don't know how receptive they are to lobbying form outside the US, but at the very least you have my full moral support.

neptunes

Allow me to repost a certain quote found in the stickied revoulution above (or below :p)

In regards to the POSSIBILITY of a $99 ps2 outselling the ps3 and revolution next year...
Oblivion said:
..."Forgetting about the graphics for a second, you expect an all new console with new features and whatnot to be outsold by a current gen console? LOL."...

NPD retracts November numbers

Industry research group yanks monthly report, citing "overstated information."

NPD's silence led to speculation on the part of analysts who had already received the report. One noticed that while the company usually claims to collect 63 percent of sales data, in November it claimed to collect 53 percent.

He reasoned this was the cause of "dramatically higher" numbers than usual, and that when the corrected numbers are released, they will be much closer to the previous, pessimistic forecasts. It could also mean that Xbox 360 sales could come in under the 332,000-unit figure cited in the report.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140959.html

Top Bottom