• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyan, pls~ details~

Mike M, o what have i gotten myself into. o woe. o unusual and cruel fates~

:3

.......... no rly. gimme stuff to draw. i cant promise timeliness or quality, but i can promise that at least sticky figures will be provided!

Gazoinks

Anyone going to get their book made on createspace to get 2 free copies? I am once I finish my novel.

Definitely. Gonna hold off till April or so so I can get the draft as nice and clean as possible beforehand.

Speaking of which, I actually finished my draft yesterday! Yay! Came out to around 97,000 words once all is said and done. Now I've put it into Scrivener and I can begin the editinging. So many typos, so little time. :p

Is anyone here doing the Lulu hardcover deal? I kinda want to, but I don't know if it'll be cleaned up enough in time.

Definitely. Gonna hold off till April or so so I can get it the draft as nice and clean as possible beforehand.

Speaking of which, I actually finished my draft yesterday! Yay! Came out to around 97,000 words once all is said and done. Now I've put it into Scrivener and I can begin the editinging. So many typos, so little time. :p

Is anyone here doing the Lulu hardcover deal? I kinda want to, but I don't know if it'll be cleaned up enough in time.

grats on finishing draft, gaz! and .... good luck for editing o7 editing is a special kind of hell ;____;

Cyan

Banned
Definitely. Gonna hold off till April or so so I can get it the draft as nice and clean as possible beforehand.

Nice! Still working on mine. At nearly 90k now, I think.

Wow! That's a whole lot of writing. Awesome that you're so close to the end. Well, depending on chapter length!

Im sure a lot of it will be cut away at editing stage. But I'm one of those writers who cant determine which scenes are necessary until much later :< So I just write every scene chronologically to get to the end.

Such toil, I say.

I'm still working on mine, but very, very slowly. Now that it's the holidays, I'll probably finish the story, seeing as I finished the 50k limit over my last holiday break. Then it's time for me to get some printed copies as trophies!

May16

Anyone wanna do like a "You show me yours, I'll show you mine" feedback thing? I'll return the favor.

I'm not asking to know about every missing comma or other text-based edits, but mostly a readthrough and some feedback on the story itself. (And if you stop and can't go on, please tell me where you stopped and why. ^_^)

Mine's like 80,000 words long. Go ahead and PM me if so.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone wanna do like a "You show me yours, I'll show you mine" feedback thing? I'll return the favor.

I'm not asking to know about every missing comma or other text-based edits, but mostly a readthrough and some feedback on the story itself. (And if you stop and can't go on, please tell me where you stopped and why. ^_^)

There seems to be a lot of diffuse interest, but if it's happening, it's happening through back channels and PMs.

Gazoinks

I'd be interested, but not in the short-term, as editing mine will probably take a while. If you're still looking in a couple of months I'd totally be up for a trade, though!

May16

I'd be interested, but not in the short-term, as editing mine will probably take a while. If you're still looking in a couple of months I'd totally be up for a trade, though!

I undoubtedly will be. I'll give it a spit shine in the mean time. You do the same and let's roll as soon as you're ready? :)

Mike M

Nick N
I'd be willing to read anyone's novel, but it would be a long wait time for me to critique an entire novel : )

I'm holding off on edits until I get more reader feedback (Anyone wanting to read a paranormal mystery set in 1820 Bavaria, hit me up with a PM) before I start editing and revising. I don't want to waste time polishing prose only to tear it all down later because I was overlooking something everyone else noticed.

Gazoinks

My Createspace books came! They're high quality, feel really nice.
wE6gaii.jpg
B48Z5re.jpg
c616TWW.jpg
6urgnR0.jpg

I had to bend and stretch the cover to make it fit with Createspace's formatting, so here's the original prettier version by Jinxmoonstone on the NaNo forums (didn't want to recommission her just for personal copies):

Now to get back to actually editing this thing. >.>

Timu

My Createspace books came! They're high quality, feel really nice.

I had to bend and stretch the cover to make it fit with Createspace's formatting, so here's the original prettier version by Jinxmoonstone on the NaNo forums (didn't want to recommission her just for personal copies):

Now to get back to actually editing this thing. >.>
Liking that cover!!!

Wow, that all came out so well! Now I really regret not taking advantage of that. I let the deals lapse and never got around to it. Super jealous!

Also, odd timing with the bump. My mind has been reeling all day doing NaNo brainstorming for no reason.

Gazoinks

Wow, that all came out so well! Now I really regret not taking advantage of that. I let the deals lapse and never got around to it. Super jealous!

Also, odd timing with the bump. My mind has been reeling all day doing NaNo brainstorming for no reason.

I completely forgot until halfway through June and then frantically finished formatting it like a day before the deal ran out. I'd definitely go for it next time, even if you don't edit beforehand, it just feels really awesome having a physical book.

I've been doing a lot of NaNo brainstorming lately too. I want it to be November already. >.>

Cyan

Banned
Hey, awesome!

This reminds me that I need to figure out what I want to do for the upcoming NaNo. I'm like a third or more through a book and don't want to be in an awkward almost-done state when NaNo starts.

Timu

Hey, awesome!

This reminds me that I need to figure out what I want to do for the upcoming NaNo. I'm like a third or more through a book and don't want to be in an awkward almost-done state when NaNo starts.
Are you gonna make the Nano 2015 thread???

I completely forgot until halfway through June and then frantically finished formatting it like a day before the deal ran out. I'd definitely go for it next time, even if you don't edit beforehand, it just feels really awesome having a physical book.

I've been doing a lot of NaNo brainstorming lately too. I want it to be November already. >.>

Yeah, I'm definitely not gonna miss out this time. In fact, I'm really tempted to get last years book done now and just pay for it. Can't be that expensive.

Gazoinks

Yeah, I'm definitely not gonna miss out this time. In fact, I'm really tempted to get last years book done now and just pay for it. Can't be that expensive.

Yeah, it's pretty cheap. I'm not sure if proofs are cheaper, but normal copies are $9.01 per for me. Probably varies depending on size, but should be around there. Shipping was about $4 for the two books.

Man, I must have scrapped and rewritten the 2012/2013 Nano story like four times already, and am starting on the fifth draft. The first ten chapters or so I'm happy with, but the rest have severe problems. Now I'm thinking that I had the scale of the story all wrong and need to confine it to the one focal location rather than try to sweep across the world.

I get so bogged down trying to develop each location that I either have to gloss over context and world building or rush through the plot.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Proof copies were ~$4 for the privately printed book I did a few years ago. As far as I know, those are almost completely material + "labor" costs instead of the full price which includes your cut. Book size probably has a lot to do with it, though I can't imagine the price jump being that huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom