• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used them before, but I've seen people generally be happy with the Createspace offer, although formatting is apparently annoying. I think the guys offering a hardcover are new this year.

Yeah, the hardcover off is really appealing to me, as I think it would look nicer. Of course, I may just use all three deals if I decide to do any, that way I don't feel any regret at missing out on a good one. I'm just paranoid that there's some catch in store.

Mike M

Nick N
I seem to recall their were some hoops to jump through for the CreateSpace books that put me off the offer last year, though I don't remember what it was.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nothing would be cooler than actually getting a copy of my book printed. To sit on my shelf, like a trophy! I notice the NaNoWriMo website has links to partners that can provide you with such a service. Has anyone used them before? Is there any sort of drawback? I notice they have deals for Winners to get free copies from various partners, and I'd be very interested in doing so, if the service is good. Anyone have any experience?

I used Createspace to print a paperback copy of my wife's collection of short stories four one of our wedding anniversaries. It's really awesome seeing that on our bookshelf, although it does need to be re-edited. I didn't have much problem with them, but the formatting guidelines were indeed a pain. Here's a terrible photo I took ages ago of the book:

202099_1827475519944_2067460_o.jpg

The paper stock and overall quality of the book is very good. Once we do the final pass on editing (she wants to remove some stories she doesn't like anymore, and add in a few she does), we'll resubmit it and put it up for sale. I'm hoping if I can rewrite and edit my own novel the way I want, I'll be submitting mine to them as well.

Gazoinks

While we're on the subject of the book offers: Pay attention to expiration dates! The CreateSpace one is valid for a while, but one of the others only lasts into January, so that doesn't get you much time to get it all edited up if you were planning on doing so beforehand. The Lulu offer doesn't seem to have an expiration?

I haven't used them before, but I've seen people generally be happy with the Createspace offer, although formatting is apparently annoying. I think the guys offering a hardcover are new this year.

e: I just realized it's Lulu, so it's at least a legit company. Don't know if there are any catches. :p

I seem to recall their were some hoops to jump through for the CreateSpace books that put me off the offer last year, though I don't remember what it was.

I used Createspace to print a paperback copy of my wife's collection of short stories four one of our wedding anniversaries. It's really awesome seeing that on our bookshelf, although it does need to be re-edited. I didn't have much problem with them, but the formatting guidelines were indeed a pain. Here's a terrible photo I took ages ago of the book:

The paper stock and overall quality of the book is very good. Once we do the final pass on editing (she wants to remove some stories she doesn't like anymore, and add in a few she does), we'll resubmit it and put it up for sale. I'm hoping if I can rewrite and edit my own novel the way I want, I'll be submitting mine to them as well.

Thanks for the info, everyone! That really does look like it comes out well. I may take advantage of all four offers. If I do, I'll post the results in the thread as I get them, for anyone interested. I guess my main concern was that I would be sending away my own work to some other company to print, and I'm paranoid that some where along the line, I'm going to lose ownership of it or something like that. But these companies overall seem to have a good reputation among the people who've used them before, so I think I'm just being paranoid. Thanks again for the info!

Now to throw on those finish touches quickly!

Edit: And get some cover art. That'll be the hardest thing of all! D:

GRATS TO ALL WINNERS !!!!

and to everyone who participated and gave it a go :D yay for you guys too <3

and now i will have to really finish my story haha .____.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thanks for the info, everyone! That really does look like it comes out well. I may take advantage of all four offers. If I do, I'll post the results in the thread as I get them, for anyone interested. I guess my main concern was that I would be sending away my own work to some other company to print, and I'm paranoid that some where along the line, I'm going to lose ownership of it or something like that. But these companies overall seem to have a good reputation among the people who've used them before, so I think I'm just being paranoid. Thanks again for the info!

Now to throw on those finish touches quickly!

Edit: And get some cover art. That'll be the hardest thing of all! D:

Glad I could help!

Cover art shouldn't be too hard to get a hole of, honestly. There are plenty of talented artists who would more than likely be willing to create a cover for you. I'm actually working on the cover to my novel as well (I'm an artist, so I'll be handling it myself). My wife created the cover for her own book using stock photos from her friends, and photoshop to do all the visual editing and what not. She's really good at it, actually. I'm actually working on my digital painting, and attempting some styles and techniques I'm not used to. Depending on the results, I'll see about offering my own services (for a fair price, of course!) to help people create their book covers. If I fail at this artistic experiment, we will never speak of this again...

Do any of these printing services ship internationally? I'm in Australia, so whenever I hear about a good deal online, the usual situation is that I can't take advantage of the offer.

Cyan

Banned
Whew. Here we are in December once again, another NaNoWriMo in our wake. We set sail across the wide ocean, some of us with maps and destinations, some without, none of us sure we'd find anything on the other side.

And here we are back on land. To our winners for 2014: congratulations! Whether this is your first victory or your umpteenth, you put in a pile of work and you accomplished a formidable goal. Time to kiss the ground and take a breather. (Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, you could jump into the latest short story challenge. Surely after your 50k success, a mere 2000 words is nothing! A raft across the local river!)

You might decide you want to go back and clean up your novel, get some pals to beta-read for you, maybe run it through a writing group. That's totally cool! I would love it if you came out of this with something you want to put in front of other people. And check out the general writing thread for helpful advice and cool people! On the other hand, if you feel like your novel, on due reflection, is fit only for the round file, that's ok too! Recall that our goal here was always to write 50,000 words, not to write the next literary masterpiece that will sweep all the awards and critics off their feet. (Though by all means feel free to have that as a personal goal!) Be proud of your accomplishment either way.

Or maybe you're not done yet. Maybe you have a little more to write to get to the end of your novel. I know I do. Go for it! Finish that sucker up as soon as possible, and then take a break. :)

To those who didn't reach the other side of the ocean, who capsized or got stuck in the doldrums: that's ok. This isn't an easy task. I mean, if it were easy, what would be the point? You'll be back next year with a better map and bigger sails and an excellent navigator, yes?

All right. Let's look at our final results!

We had 50 total winners. A nice round number, and quite an accomplishment. Well done, everyone.

Winner-2014-Square-Button_zps5e8de48a.png

Code:
Mike M			86,664
Gazoinks		71,191
BeesEight		66,658
Figboy79		58,743
GSR			55,945
SquiddyCracker		55,000
Aiustis			54,665
Aerocrane		53,593
EskimoJoe		52,163
Sonicbug		51,672
Schlomo			51,411
Aon			51,266
Norua			51,217
matthewwhatever		51,135
Narag			50,887
irriadin		50,725
Croll			50,603
LegendX48		50,592
toythatkills		50,591
CyclopsRock		50,569
Sorastitch		50,490
Cyan			50,447
Delio			50,434
Plasticine		50,431
Aiii			50,351
Ashes			50,342
Sober			50,180
Alur			50,164
mu cephei		50,142
CheesecakeRecipe	50,139
drowsy			50,137
Evilisk			50,129
Obscured		50,126
viciouskillersquirrel	50,119
Nezumi			50,066
Schlocky		50,064
Cryptozoologist		50,059
The Scollard		50,053
Zelias			50,050
bluepolicebox		50,048
meijiko			50,042
-Cade			50,036
bakemono		50,032
Geido			50,031
Timu			50,028
Ourobolus		50,017
YesNOnoNOYes		50,011
DumbNameD		50,010
Jintor			50,006
Collete			50,002
Leaderboard:

Capsized in sight of land:
Code:
Mr.Swag			47,520
fredrancour		42,018
Huw_Dawson		38,000
Osorio			36,021
xeris			34,067
360pages		33,851
WriterGK		32,568
NeoGiff			30,091
Korigama		30,014

Trapped in the doldrums:
Code:
FlowersisBritish	25,816
Sign			24,411
sparky2112		21,561
Vagabundo		20,764
Mifune			20,670
killer rin		16,438
Aaron			15,228
EliCash			15,000
Elfforkusu		14,715
LiamExe			14,576
Kimaka			13,219
DarkChronic		12,763
buy teh haloz		12,261
Petit Melon		11,168
lastflowers		10,000

Made it out of the harbor:
Code:
Loona			8,600
Bananakin		8,340
theWB27			8,286
Incendiary		7,480
Metaphoreus		7,353
Korten			7,094
Sub-Zero at a Starbucks	7,017
Laughing Banana		6,500
Cloud Strife		6,364
Weapxn			6,199
Karu			6,157
Iph			6,133
kunu			6,132
toddhunter		6,052
StormBrute		5,865
RedBoot			5,059
Jarkenson		4,276
Aiko Heiwa		4,048
ThoseDeafMutes		4,005
Necromanti		4,000
Cyber Caesar		3,414
timetokill		3,276
esterk			3,228
Charade			3,145
Pickman			3,112
Musha_Soturi		3,097
Bootaaay		3,068
Enduin			3,049
Screaming Meat		2,875
RadicalRad		2,625
TheGreatDirector	2,567
Valerie Cherish		2,539
P44			2,261
Zweizer			2,256
Dresden			2,120
javadoze		2,111
Master Milk		2,033
exmachina64		2,025
John Dunbar		2,005
Verdre			2,001
Nappuccino		2,000
besada			1,673
Blargonaut		1,285
William			1,257
Candeldandel		1,250
ElMexiMerican		1,244
Notrollious		1,243
bengraven		375
Syncytia		319

To all of our participants, whether or not you made it to the other side:
the_playing.png

Thank you for the playing, everyone! NaNo on GAF is always a good time, and it's all of you folks that make it fun.

See you again in 2015. Same bat time, same bat channel!

Thanks, Captain Cyan! o7

It's been fun! (in the torturous ways that it was)

Thank you for all of your hard work, and hopefully, see you all again next year!

<3

(here's looking at the people sitting at the beach O___O)

Wow. Second-most-prolific failure. go me.

Not too broken up about falling short. It was awesome. I already have two revisions lined up for the chunk i completed this month. one is a mere quality revision to the first chapter that doesn't change the plot. The other takes a chapter that doesn't need to exist and merges those events into a previous chapter. I'm not writing the revision itself yet but the future chapters will be written with that eventual edit in mind.

Thanks for encouraging me to do this, GAF.

Timu

Thanks, Captain Cyan! o7

It's been fun! (in the torturous ways that it was)

Thank you for all of your hard work, and hopefully, see you all again next year!

<3

(here's looking at the people sitting at the beach O___O)
I know I'm going to be around next year, I got a trilogy to finish after all.=p

Thanks so much for the thread, Cyan. I'm glad I finally got off my ass and did NaNo, as I've been wanting to for years. I can't wait to come back next year to write the sequel!

Ashes

Banned
See you again in 2015. Same bat time, same bat channel!

I was looking for a batman gif for you this year too. But couldn't pass up on Winnie. :p

Here's your Word Art winners. Frame It. Print it. Share it. Or just look for your name. ;)

yxWVm9Q.jpg

I like that it pops out here too.

And that's it. Congrats everyone. See you next year.

4nvnJ.png
zZI5f.png
DvHtH.png
R7pMP.png
LDo2x.png
v5rMd.png
7JXms.png
4s9X7.png
KqLZU.png
d98ef.png
FEBtx.png
nZRRc.png

Thank you for your play. Game over.

Oh and one last thing, @Cyan:
200.gif

Gazoinks

I was looking for a batman gif for you this year too. But couldn't pass up on Winnie. :p

Here's your Word Art winners. Frame It. Print it. Share it. Or just look for your name. ;)

yxWVm9Q.jpg

Ooh, this is really neat.

Thanks again for hosting the thread, Cyan, and thanks everyone else for being awesome. NaNo is always a good time, especially with other people. Cheers!

Is it November yet?

This is amazing.

Thank you to Cyan for the great thread and awesome word count leaderboard sorcery. And to all the participants! Checking in here was definitely one of my daily highlights while doing this thing. I'll be back for more fun
misery
next year.

I should thank you too, Cyan. If there's anything that shakes me out of my doldrums and gets me to focus on something lately, it's Nano, which I never would have even known about had this thread not existed. You've been an inspiration to us all.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Congrats to those who made it!

True reason I didn't finish is so that I cant say I've done it yet, therefore I think ill have a stronger motivation to finish next time.

Zelias

Banned

yxWVm9Q.jpg

And that's it. Congrats everyone. See you next year.
Heh. Very nice.

Ashes, aaah awesome word-art-tree thing *________*

i want it on a t-shirt :D

Will there be a nano-edit/follow up thread or are most of y'all gonna be in the writing mega-thread? How does this usually go last years???

Oh, and also, I occasionally draw, so IDK heres some of my sketches (from the Inktober stuff)... and if (and that's a big if cuz Im disappearing into Forza)... if any of you guys wants to plug me char desc or some scenes or something, I might draw some?

Gazoinks

Will there be a nano-edit/follow up thread or are most of y'all gonna be in the writing mega-thread? How does this usually go last years???

Oh, and also, I occasionally draw, so IDK heres some of my sketches (from the Inktober stuff)... and if (and that's a big if cuz Im disappearing into Forza)... if any of you guys wants to plug me char desc or some scenes or something, I might draw some?

I'll probably mostly hang out in the writing thread, but there's no reason we couldn't continue to talk about post-NaNo stuff here, yeah?

Also, your art is really, really awesome! I might shoot you a character description later, if that's okay. :)

I'll probably mostly hang out in the writing thread, but there's no reason we couldn't continue to talk about post-NaNo stuff here, yeah?

Also, your art is really, really awesome! I might shoot you a character description later, if that's okay. :)

of course :D i'll be waiting for it! :D

and haha, thanks for compliments <3

starsky

Whatever people may say about me, let it never be said that I don't thrive in crunch time.
More details on those last few days.
11/27: 19,059
11/28: 31,039
11/29: 40,195
11/30: 52,163

Wow! This is crazy! I'm glad you finished Nano, I could never do that.

Really neat! Thanks! I found my nick 3 times :D.

Nice drawing :).

Delio

Whoa I love your work. Might have to trouble you for doing something for me.

Mike M

Nick N

Jesus christ, I have like a million things I'd love to have you draw me : /

Wow! This is crazy! I'm glad you finished Nano, I could never do that.

Thanks! In reality, I just have poor time management skills. But it's nice to get praised for them. I haven't slept in 40 hours! I need to get better at planning things.

Hahaha, you're gonna get so many requests! Including from me! Those are great!

Nice drawing :).

Thanks <3

Whoa I love your work. Might have to trouble you for doing something for me.

:D Thanks. Give me desc, maybe I can draw something for you! :D

Jesus christ, I have like a million things I'd love to have you draw me : /

hahaha.... cool :> let me know what stuuuufffffffff

Hahaha, you're gonna get so many requests! Including from me! Those are great!

Aaaww thanks :> I'm all ears~ yooooo~

yey i wrote 650 words today at lunch. i really wants to finish my story aaaaaaaaaaah

Dude, those are great.
PMs will be sent.

wnUYrFE.jpg

im clearly useless with the military uniform outfits :< sorry gazoinks ;__;

Vagabundo

^ Nice art style Yesnoyesnononoyesyes..

;)
---------

Stuck in the doldrums yep yep. That's what happened. Well that and the vomiting bug, but I was falling behind before.

Congrats to everyone.

Can anybody drop a link to the writing thread I've heard mentioned here. I'm not done my novel yet, but I'm interested in having someone take a look at it, and maybe get an editor when I'm done. And I'd like to talk about writing somewhere.

WriterGK

Hi guys. I was banned but I am back. And I wanted to say I finished this challenge and I was done on the 25th of november. Here is my proof so to speak:

quxyrY0.jpg

9UjpcRM.jpg

Gazoinks

Hi guys. I was banned but I am back. And I wanted to say I finished this challenge and I was done on the 25th of november. Here is my proof so to speak:

Haha, well, belated congratulations!

YesNOnoNOYes, you art is super awesome. Do you have an art blog or something?

gazoinks, no i dont .... i just draw for fun :> and i dont get enough time or motivation to do it haha~

cyan, you never reply my PM when i asked you further details for your picca so dont blame me if i draw you a vagueness of vaguely vaguevague >:O

WriterGK, congrats and welcome back!!!

Cyan

Banned
cyan, you never reply my PM when i asked you further details for your picca so dont blame me if i draw you a vagueness of vaguely vaguevague >:O

You're right, I didn't. I felt like I might be pressuring you too much to draw my character. :p But I'd be happy to provide more details if you're still interested!

Mike M

Nick N
gazoinks, no i dont .... i just draw for fun :> and i dont get enough time or motivation to do it haha~

WriterGK, congrats and welcome back!!!
Here, read my whole manuscript and draw however you envision the protagonist!

: P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom