• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
WC: 2256

That'll teach me to participate in these kind of challenges without having thought up a compelling plot for me to write first.

I won't be caught so unprepared next year!

Korten

Banned
Sadly I was not able to get even close to how far I wanted to get... With school and such I found it hard to make time... But...

While it won't be for anything, I do plan to put myself to the challenge to at least get to 50,000 by the end of the year. Obviously would be a month late, but I still just want to reach that...

Collete

WC: 50002

skin.JPG

I have made it! Just barely by like...2 words...Insane. This month was incredibly stressful, but it's done.
Heck yeah!
Book's not done yet, but it's getting near it's climax soon, so hopefully it won't take me as long as my first book to finish it up, but we'll see!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50447

Whew! Made it. Not that I ever doubted. ;) Thanks to everyone for all your excitement and energy and supportiveness through the last month. (And thanks to Nezumi for the support in the final writing hangout!)

Collete

Oh yeah, does anyone know if Nano steals words from your novel if you try to validate your word count?

Whew! Made it. Not that I ever doubted. ;) Thanks to everyone for all your excitement and energy and supportiveness through the last month. (And thanks to Nezumi for the support in the final writing hangout!)

I totally believe you...:p
But congrats at any rate, cyan!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50431

http://i.imgur.com/XDzwAfY.jpg[IMG]

Now it's time to cut around half of those words out, and come up with something I can sell.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/GAFcyan/dyno-4_zps108ef3ad.gif

Congrats on another victory!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50002

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96340820/skin.JPG[IMG]

I have made it! Just barely by like...2 words...Insane. This month was incredibly stressful, but it's done.
Heck yeah!
Book's not done yet, but it's getting near it's climax soon, so hopefully it won't take me as long as my first book to finish it up, but we'll see![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/GAFcyan/zanac-3.gif

Congrats, Messiah of Earth! I always believed in you. :D

Cyan

Banned
WC: 2256

That'll teach me to participate in these kind of challenges without having thought up a compelling plot for me to write first.

I won't be caught so unprepared next year!

Good deal. It really does help to come up with some stuff first, to give yourself direction and somewhere to go.

Oh yeah, does anyone know if Nano steals words from your novel if you try to validate your word count?
It does have a lower word count usually. I think their algorithm is different from most word processing programs for some reason.

I totally believe you...:p
But congrats at any rate, cyan!

;)

Congrats to all the winners and soon-to-be winners! You guys are awesome!

and I guess for posterity's sake
WC: 3145

Awww, dude! Well at least you're rested up for the next challenge, right?

Cyan

Banned
Nah I mean..does it like steal your content to use some how for copyrights and things?

Oh, I see. No, nothing like that, though they do tell people to use a letter scrambler before submitting to avert those kind of concerns. I don't bother since I'm not really worried about the possibility.

starsky

You deserve an image too for all your hard works!

scribble_end_screen_zps8b95fa17.png

LegendX48

WC: 50592

My story isn't done but I reached the goal and I'm happy right now :D

The site says I actually have a few more words than what MS word is telling me but I'm going with the MS word count for here. Time to celebrate by taking a long break and playing a bunch of video games!

Korigama

WC: 30014

A pity, but not all that surprising after deciding not to start at the very beginning of the month, and then not getting serious about attempting the challenge until the month was about halfway over (around the same time that I figured out what I wanted to do with what I was writing). Still, this has been good experience for understanding just what it takes to sit down and produce enough content in order to write an entire novel, and I'm satisfied enough with what I do have so far to want to keep writing it until it is finished.

Congratulations to all of the winners, and good luck to anyone still closing in on the goal.

Sonicbug

I have found the most appropriate end screen I could think of for Nanowrimo.... or the closest thing to it, which is the final end text for Zork. This is for you Cyan! Thanks for hosting this thread year after year!

dosbox_006_zps84233f54.png

Everyone else, you're so close! You can do it everyone! Except for those that aren't, at which point there is always next year. Mwahahah.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50592

My story isn't done but I reached the goal and I'm happy right now :D

The site says I actually have a few more words than what MS word is telling me but I'm going with the MS word count for here. Time to celebrate by taking a long break and playing a bunch of video games!

draspi-4_zps79b81034.png

Congrats, Legend! :p

WC: 52163

wNFyUVr.png

Whatever people may say about me, let it never be said that I don't thrive in crunch time.
More details on those last few days.
11/27: 19,059
11/28: 31,039
11/29: 40,195
11/30: 52,163

Aiustis

was about to go off to sleep when I remembered this:

WC: 54,665

final tally. I'm not finished and there's a lot of crap in it. I'll keep working but at least I made it. Took way to much work. Had to do 2-4k every day since I started late. gaah I don't even want to think about it now I feel like writing more, but I'm tired.

Cyan

Banned
was about to go off to sleep when I remembered this:

WC: 54,665

final tally. I'm not finished and there's a lot of crap in it. I'll keep working but at least I made it. Took way to much work. Had to do 2-4k every day since I started late. gaah I don't even want to think about it now I feel like writing more, but I'm tired.

pow-4.gif

Congraturation! Final tally is what matters. :)

Ashes

Banned
Chapter 23 will be my last upload. I've taken down the rest of the chapters. But Chapter 23 will be up for as long as Dropbox servers are up. :)

It's about a day in the life of an unnamed school girl. She's waking up to a more adult view of society and has started to notice things in her area.

It was quite a task to talk about her education, her school life, her responsibilities in such a nonchalant way. Her role as a friend, a neighbour, and a pupil were easy enough to do. But she does have a real live living breathing mind and heart of her own. And that was a little bit more difficult to get through.

& most of all I took a decision which was challenging at first, but gratifying at the end of it all. The decision was to make the reader the school girl her self. Isn't that what reading is about? Putting your self in the character's shoes?

It is a long chapter. And it comes at the end of a long month. So do, if you do choose to read it, read it at your own leisure. Read it >here<.

#

My final count for this year was at 50,342. I like NaNo's winner banner. Always nice to wake up to that on your birthday.

I can close the 30+tabs I have on Chrome right now. I have learnt so so much this year. The thing that hit me hardest was about how we frame the world we live in. Why do we concentrate on our failures so much? Focusing on the positives gives a more balanced and realistic picture of the world we live in.

Us last day winners, we've all done a pretty good job, I'd say. Very well done. :)
Now how do we get off this mountain of words? Is there a lift? Anybody have rope?

tumblr_mntcr4gWcF1qkm5yxo1_500.gif

no. see you all next year.

Man were those last few days tough. Thank God NaNo is in November or I would never have finished. Ending in a holiday weekend was a godsend. I couldn't ask for a better conglaturation than the one I got, and it's awesome to see my name in red! Now I can't wait to see the cool things the winners get!

I started editing my 2012/2013 novel and some parts are the best work I've ever produced, whereas other parts are crap, just pure crap. Trimming, replacing and fixing this stuff is going to take a little while, I think.

Collete

I'm a little depressed it's over now, I won't lie. I now actually have to keep a self-disciplined schedule of continuing to write.
It sucks :(

Nothing would be cooler than actually getting a copy of my book printed. To sit on my shelf, like a trophy! I notice the NaNoWriMo website has links to partners that can provide you with such a service. Has anyone used them before? Is there any sort of drawback? I notice they have deals for Winners to get free copies from various partners, and I'd be very interested in doing so, if the service is good. Anyone have any experience?

Gazoinks

Nothing would be cooler than actually getting a copy of my book printed. To sit on my shelf, like a trophy! I notice the NaNoWriMo website has links to partners that can provide you with such a service. Has anyone used them before? Is there any sort of drawback? I notice they have deals for Winners to get free copies from various partners, and I'd be very interested in doing so, if the service is good. Anyone have any experience?

I haven't used them before, but I've seen people generally be happy with the Createspace offer, although formatting is apparently annoying. I think the guys offering a hardcover are new this year.

e: I just realized it's Lulu, so it's at least a legit company. Don't know if there are any catches. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom