• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at my graph! It's so... pretty.

B3ouLhCIQAEHOY6.png

Thank you, GAF =)

Cyan

Banned
b7XaiWI.png

WC:51266

Intended to go to sleep. Forgot. Kept writing.

Now I'm in a funny situation. I was adding onto an existing manuscript with this, so I started the month @35k words and now I'm sitting at 85.

I'm maybe halfway through my overall plot. So despite hitting the goal, I'm still ages away from finishing and then editing it back down to 100, something readable.

Still, feels alright. Tried it a few times before, never made it. Thanks to all you folks for keeping the competition going, it's good motivation even for lurkers like myself.

Next yeah I'll join yall again, although I'm definitely scoping a ~50k word project for next year so I come out with something finished.

Thanks again and keep at it everyone else. Even if you don't hit the arbitrary goal, words on the page are words on the page.

roller-3.gif

Congrats! You are victorious.

Cyan

Banned
wc: 50591

What the hell now?

I'm not sure where my story goes. I didn't write the story I meant to write AT ALL, but there's still scope for it to happen if I want it to. Within the next five hundred words or so, in fact, or I can just end the story in those words instead.

I think it needs to go on.
amagon-6_zpsba094d55.png

Congratulations! You survived... but is it really the end?

Man, I want one of those congratulations so badly! I gotta sprint!

I'm afraid I may end up getting screwed by the midnight cutoff. I like to write late, so I'll be writing a lot tonight, and tomorrow night. I'm afraid that I'll stay up until 3 AM writing, then realize that I failed because the day changed over. D:

Sonicbug

Final WC:51672

ScreenShot2014-11-29at52615PM_zpsf8c515cc.png

It is done. I had to keep writing to actually hit the ending. I hate every word of it. Back to fantasy next year.

Now I can go play games! Yay!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 47,418

Just got another 1000-ish words written on my laptop, sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to board. Didn't think I could get anything done in that kind of situation, but fear of having to write another 4k all tomorrow spurred me on. ;)

Maybe I'll do more when I get home late tonight.

Man, I want one of those congratulations so badly! I gotta sprint!

I believe in you! :)

DumbNameD

WC: 50010

Hmm, not sure, not sure. Some positives, some negatives. Kinda got some characters formed up. Kinda got some arcs to move them from the get-go to the "the end." Oh, well, I have a bag full of words, if anybody needs. Just have to pick around the clubbed baby seals in the bag. Don't worry, they were evil baby seals. Just kidding, I have no words left.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50010

Hmm, not sure, not sure. Some positives, some negatives. Kinda got some characters formed up. Kinda got some arcs to move them from the get-go to the "the end." Oh, well, I have a bag full of words, if anybody needs. Just have to pick around the clubbed baby seals in the bag. Don't worry, they were evil baby seals. Just kidding, I have no words left.
baseload3-1_zps78c981ad.gif

Congrats DND! You are number one in my book!

Sonicbug

Just for you, amigo! :D
You can always let me know if you'd rather not get the same one every year. ;) But I'm rather fond of it!

It's tradition at this point!
As long as its sprite sonic... thankfully you only use classic end screens.

Thanks Cyan, Ashes, Timu, and all you guys are awesome and amazing! <3

Congrats new winners <3333

and the ones close to the finishing line: YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

WC: 50053

Yay!!!! I did it!!!!

I'm still less than halfway done my novel, though. That's what December is for I guess.

Oh, and Cyan, I'm expecting my terrible NES/SNES ending screen. I want typos, dammit, TYPOS!!!

I definitely considering an all-nighter tonight. I probably wouldn't do it if the deadline weren't midnight. But the way I work, I know I won't be done on midnight tomorrow. So an all-nighter may be the only way. I relish the challenge!

WC: 33359

Pretty impressive, considering I was at 19,000 on Thanksgiving. TIME TO KEEP SPRINTING.

Croll

Neo Member
WC:50,603

Even though its my first update since the beginning of the month, I have been chugging along. Met the nano goal but there's still quite a few more chapters left in this novel. I feel like I'm looking at ~100-120k.

Congratulations to everyone who finished and I hope that anyone who continues working even after November 30th posts updates here or the writing thread. I feel like reading up on other people's progress is great motivation for myself.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50053

Yay!!!! I did it!!!!

I'm still less than halfway done my novel, though. That's what December is for I guess.

Oh, and Cyan, I'm expecting my terrible NES/SNES ending screen. I want typos, dammit, TYPOS!!!

Oh I think that can be arranged.

terminated.png

Conglatullations!

Cyan

Banned
WC:50,603

Even though its my first update since the beginning of the month, I have been chugging along. Met the nano goal but there's still quite a few more chapters left in this novel. I feel like I'm looking at ~100-120k.

Congratulations to everyone who finished and I hope that anyone who continues working even after November 30th posts updates here or the writing thread. I feel like reading up on other people's progress is great motivation for myself.

Wow, a real come from behind victory!

jack-3.gif

Your mission accomplished. Congrats!

Alur

WC: 50164

Finished it off earlier this afternoon before heading out to the Preds game.

I don't think it could ever be a real novel, because it's basically plot twist built upon plot twist for no reason other than giggles m8...some of it would make for interesting short stories though, perhaps

Gazoinks

The winners box is getting so full and happy! Good luck to the people in the final stretch.

WC:70,153

I think I'm far enough that I can finally project when this thing will actually end. I'm shooting for around 85k right now. Hopefully not too much more than that. Hopefully.

Delio

Wow all the winners over the weekend. Lights my heart up <3

I transitioned over to another project while I like Lustre stew again.

Cade

Aaaand done.

That's a good enough number to stop on, though I think I have a few more chapters of writing left. Although the past half of my chapters already ended, so I don't know what I'll do on every other chapter now. Still! I'm pretty happy with it. Congrats to all the other winners, and my average per day ended up being 1,668 - just one word per day higher than the benchmark. Yikes.
Next year I will do 10k on the first day. Book it. Believe.

EDIT: Nano has docked me 300 words. FUCK. I'll go write a few hundred more. Goddammit.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50164

Finished it off earlier this afternoon before heading out to the Preds game.

I don't think it could ever be a real novel, because it's basically plot twist built upon plot twist for no reason other than giggles m8...some of it would make for interesting short stories though, perhaps
caski-3.gif

Congrats, King Alur!

Cade

THERE WE GO.
0825b40168.png

WC: 50036

Finally. All done. Damn, went down to 1667 average. Bang on. 10k first day next year club believe.

meijiko

WC:50042

0ngHTm8.png

Well, another successful NaNo year. It felt good to keep a steady pace this time, even if there were days when I just couldn't bring myself to write anything.

I feel like I haven't talked much about my novel (I know not everyone does) but this is me working on something that I've had in my mind for almost three years now. I've gone through many attempts at first drafts, I have a huge scrivener document full of character info, world building, research, and snippets of practice scenes to help me get a feel for the characters. I've put it down and picked it back up, I've written other stories in the same world, I've changed so much of the plot that it's hardly recognizable from my first ideas. But this is the first time I've gotten this far in a draft for it (about 80k words so far, nearly halfway through the story), and I have NaNo and this thread to thank for keeping me steady. I didn't really talk with anyone this year, but seeing people work through their struggles was always good to help keep me motivated. By this time next year I'll hopefully have this draft completed and edited, and I'll work on something completely new and different for NaNo 2015.

For comparison's sake, here's the stats for my first completed NaNo in 2012:

pNFUTaI.png

Also I bought myself that sweet t-shirt.

Nezumi

Less than 14 hours left and over 9000 words still need to be written. I think this is the most procrastinating I have ever done during a nano. The fact that I really hate everything about my story and characters since the middle of the month does not help to encourage me.

Less than 14 hours left and over 9000 words still need to be written. I think this is the most procrastinating I have ever done during a nano. The fact that I really hate everything about my story and characters since the middle of the month does not help to encourage me.

Looks like we've got the same amount left. LET'S FINISH THIS SHIT.

Ashes

Banned
Chapter 21

I'll upload Chapter 22 some time later today. And Chapter 23 will be my final upload for NaNoWriMo.

I am writing Chapter 25 now. And flicking between that and Chapter 24 - part 6.

I wanted to see how much my libre office word count differs from Nano's official validater, so did a pre-finish validate, and the website counted three hundred words extra, as seen below.

WC: 47,304.

EVERY. WORD. COUNTS.

starsky

I admire people like you, hahaha. Look how well those bars stick to the trend line. If I pull mine of, it'll look like a damn hockey stick. Congratulations!

Thanks! Actually I envy people who can write 8000+ words in a day, I dunno how such magic is possible.
And you need to write 9000 today, GOOD LUCK!

Congrats mono! And thank you for coming back again! :)

Thanks again Cyan. Your threads and the nano pictures are huge motivators for me.

Everybody else who have won, CONGRATS! It's really nice to see so many winners.
And the ones who haven't reached the goal, keep writing!

Ashes

Banned
My second last chapter 25 is a lot darker than I had originally envisioned. A sort of existential depression mixed with death.

It worked so much better in my head. I'm going to leave it unfinished. Its a motivation killer if anything.

And now Chapter 26. A hope filled uplifting ending.

WC: 48,428

never give in.

Geido

WC: 50031

Aw yeah!!!

Winner-2014-Web-Banner.jpg

7uJbMOY.png

I didn't have a much fun as last year, probably because of the extra pressure and not taking enough time to prepare... But I'm very proud of myself again.

mu cephei

Conglatullations on all the new winners!

And there's still some time left, anyone with 10,000 words or less to go (and a day free of obligations) (and not in Australia) can definitely make it :)

Mike M

Nick N
As long as we're sharing word count graphs...

x0PSjP0.jpg

The huge jumps are where I had to validate my manuscript (Only had the whole document, didn't know where I had left off from the work I did in October. Plus it would have been a pain in the ass to not just do Select All+Copy) and again when the book was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom