• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

irriadin

Chapter Excerpt

I'll leave the link above active for a few days. It's one of the rare chapters I wrote that came out pretty close to what I imagine the final version will look like. Quote to see the password to unlock.

WC: 50725

I did it. Whew. For a long time, a very long time, I've had bits and pieces of this novel drifting about in my head. I never actually sat down to put it into words. There was always something more pressing that I had to attend to: video editing, grad school, work, and of course, video games. I had long harbored the desire to be a writer, but as time passed, that dream began to feel less and less attainable. And I'd resigned to myself that it was OK.

It was not.

Thanks to NaNoWriMo, I have a barely edited 50,000+ jumble of words that will need to be burned, excoriated, and slashed through the heart. Some day far from now, but not too far, my manuscript will be complete and edited. When that day comes, I'll be gratified, humbled, excited, and exceedingly happy.

But for now, I can rest knowing that I'm one step closer to achieving my dream. Thanks NaNo.

Ashes

Banned
I've uploaded chapter 22. It's the kind of chapter you race through because you want to reveal information. And I think my motivation was really low at that moment too.
All of which leads to bad writing. Still, here it is.

I'm writing chapter 26 now. The final chapter. Pretty much an FAQ. But I'm downing tools now.

I'll upload chapter 23 as my final upload later tonight.

Collete

BELIEVE! 4000 is peanuts! You can do that! That's only 300 words an hour!

That seems a lot easier when I think of it like that, but at the very least, I try to do 1,000-2,000 words an hour. (I do 1,000 for a more reasonable word count) But I never thought of it 300 words an hour. i could do a lot more writing with that in mind lol.
Thanks!

Just buckle down. You're counting down now and it's much easier as you approach zero.

Funny enough, I'm actually better when I start with nothing, but I end up slowing down as I approach the finish line. I have no idea why, it's just how it is lol.

Nezumi

A little bit over five hours left and 5500 words that wants to be written. At this point I have completely shut down my brain and just let my fingers do the work. Not sure you can call what I'm writing chapters or even scenes but it is at least connected to my novel. So it totally counts...

WC: 44601

A little bit over five hours left and 5500 words that wants to be written. At this point I have completely shut down my brain and just let my fingers do the work. Not sure you can call what I'm writing chapters or even scenes but it is at least connected to my novel. So it totally counts...

As long as a chapter doesn't start out "Lorem Ipsum..." I think you'll be fine.

Wanace

VpT9rFX.png

Done! It's awful, truly awful shit, but I did it.

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50031

Aw yeah!!!

http://d1lj9l30x2igqs.cloudfront.net/nano-2013/files/2014/11/Winner-2014-Web-Banner.jpg[img]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7uJbMOY.png[IMG]

I didn't have a much fun as last year, probably because of the extra pressure and not taking enough time to prepare... But I'm very proud of myself again.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/GAFcyan/baddudes-4.png

Winner winner chicken hamburger dinner! Congrats!

Cyan

Banned
Chapter Excerpt

I'll leave the link above active for a few days. It's one of the rare chapters I wrote that came out pretty close to what I imagine the final version will look like. Quote to see the password to unlock.

WC: 50725

I did it. Whew. For a long time, a very long time, I've had bits and pieces of this novel drifting about in my head. I never actually sat down to put it into words. There was always something more pressing that I had to attend to: video editing, grad school, work, and of course, video games. I had long harbored the desire to be a writer, but as time passed, that dream began to feel less and less attainable. And I'd resigned to myself that it was OK.

It was not.

Thanks to NaNoWriMo, I have a barely edited 50,000+ jumble of words that will need to be burned, excoriated, and slashed through the heart. Some day far from now, but not too far, my manuscript will be complete and edited. When that day comes, I'll be gratified, humbled, excited, and exceedingly happy.

But for now, I can rest knowing that I'm one step closer to achieving my dream. Thanks NaNo.
contra-3.gif

Congrats! You've saved the universe.

Vagabundo

Congrats to everyone who completed and commiserations to everyone who didn't hit the mark.

Alas it wasn't to be for me this year. I'm no too disappointing. I'm still going to finish it before Christmas., hopefully.

Cyan

Banned
On the second-to-last day, we had a few new winners. *Deep breath*. Aon, toythatkills, Sonicbug, DumbNameD, bakemono, The Scollard, Croll, Alur, -Cade, meijiko, Geido, irriadin, Cryptozoologist, and Schlomo, welcome to the winner's circle!

Currently Ashes is atop the leaderboard and is the only one past the benchmark. :p Don't worry, we got this. One more day, one final push, and we're through. Feel free to join the last writing hangout at 2 PM this afternoon. Don't be shy.

Benchmark for today is 50,000 words. This is it. The big one.

Moon-1.png

Gazoinks

Let this be a friendly reminder to please check your wordcount in the official validator before the last minute. You don't want to find out you lost 300 words five minutes before midnight.

That said, go guys go! You got this!

Collete

You just did 2,100 between your last post and now? Why stop? Momentum!

I don't want to burn myself out easy, I'm taking a bit of a break, then try to do the rest in an hour.
Again I'm always like this. I tend to slow down when the finish line is in sight. I dunno why.

Collete

Oh sweet lord what the hell is that

Daaaaamn. You got this. :)

It's from the new Majora's Mask 3D remake! :p
I dunno how I feel about the moon's face on this, but hey...Majora's Mask is coming to handheld! More than happy for that :p

I know I know...it's just a long way and had a rough morning so...1900 words seems really big for me lol

Gazoinks

WC:71,191

I might write more later, but I feel good calling my official NaNo wordcount here. Graph share!
abvfCJV.png

This is actually the first time I've exceeded the "1667 per day, end around 50k" NaNo thing and ended up writing way more. Feels good, but also kind of scary because I've still got a ways to go on this thing!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This has been a great first time NaNoWriMo experience for me! Congrats to all the new winners!

I'm already drumming up my plans for editing and expanding on my novel in the coming weeks.

WC:51135

Still going, since I'm on my second-last chapter, but yeah. Done! Not bad since I came up with the kernel of my idea on October 31st, and did absolutely no advance planning or anything. I'm pleased with the result, now I just have to finish, take a break from it, and start thinking about going back over it and editing and maybe doing something with it.

Nezumi

Unbenannt_zps44b84c7b.png

It's done! Nothing more motivating than having the husband play Smash Brothers behind you and knowing you can only join once you are done with your words :)

It has been a crazy ride as always. Will hopefully see some of you later during the hangout :)

Cyan

Banned
WC:51135

Still going, since I'm on my second-last chapter, but yeah. Done! Not bad since I came up with the kernel of my idea on October 31st, and did absolutely no advance planning or anything. I'm pleased with the result, now I just have to finish, take a break from it, and start thinking about going back over it and editing and maybe doing something with it.

ninjaga-47.gif

Congrats! See you next!

Cyan

Banned
Unbenannt_zps44b84c7b.png

It's done! Nothing more motivating than having the husband play Smash Brothers behind you and knowing you can only join once you are done with your words :)

It has been a crazy ride as always. Will hopefully see some of you later during the hangout :)

dragowar-4_zpsf95978ea.gif

Congrats, Nez!

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts at 2, so in a little bit. Will put up a link shortly. I've still got 2600 words to write, so there will definitely be writing going on, but feel free to drop by if you've already finished and want to say hi. And definitely if you haven't finished and need some motivation or camaraderie. :)

As usual the format will be 10 minutes chat, 30 minutes writing, rinse and repeat. Camera and mic not required.

Mike M

Nick N
Need to take the loin spawn to giver her list of unreasonable desires to the physical embodiment of unbridled freed, so I won't make it this week.

Zelias

Banned
Can't believe it's the end already. This year was a pretty good one for me - even though I'm not necessarily happy with what I wrote, that I wrote it is still an achievement I'm proud of.

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to Cyan for this thread and an endless supply of winner images. It's actually been really good motivation :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom