• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
My fellow GAFers! Have you dreamed of writing a novel some day, but somehow never gotten around to it? Do you hate having free time? Then NaNoWriMo may be right for you.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

NaNoWriMo.org said:
What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You!

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight.
Write a 50,000 word (175 page) novel in a month? Yes it's insane, but that's the point. Write like hell, shut down your internal editor (that can come later), and just get it done.

NaNoWriMo.org said:
Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.
We're in November now, but it's never too late to join in!

We had 123 GAF participants and 51 winners last year. Let's see if we can beat that this year!

I will keep the following post updated with participants and their word counts.

FAQ:
The internets are broken?
No, the site is just getting hammered. This happens every year.

How do I write 50k words?
One at a time. Seriously though, if you can keep up with the benchmark (1,667 a day) you're golden. If you can't, don't panic, just set aside a weekend day or days to play catchup.

Any other strategies?
If you can, aim for 2000 a day rather than just keeping pace with the benchmark. This leaves you the elbow room for a few bad days later on in the month, which is a huge help for the week 2-3 doldrums. Also, try the sprints and word wars!

How do I update my word count?
Great question. In previous years, we've just posted them in the thread and then I drop them into the leaderboard. We're still going to do that this year, but I've built a tool to help me keep up. Please precede any wordcount that you want put into the leaderboard with "WC:", and put it on its own line. Commas are fine, periods used as decimals are not.

Will work:
"WC: 5000" "wc:5,000" "wc:5k."

Will not work:
"WC: 5000 and 1000 more later" "WC:5.0k" "wc:1000 more than yesterday"

Yes, it's a little bit picky. Work with me here, I'm not an expert programmer. ;)

Is there any reason to actually sign up on the site itself?
Yes! First of all, you can have your novel officially validated by the site (copy/paste from your word processor into their word counter). This lets you officially win, and gets you congratulations and all sorts of fame and glory. Second, by signing up, you will get "pep talk" emails each week from famous authors. This year, that list includes Diana Gabaldon, Charlaine Harris, and N. K. Jemisin.

Does my story have to be an original work of genius?
No. It's whatever you want to write. So write a Harry Potter/Thundercats slashfic that uses the story structure of Jane Austen's Emma to your heart's content.

Can I/Do I have to share a synopsis or excerpts?
You don't have to do anything in this thread except update your word count if you want to be on the leaderboard in the OP. But if you want to share any of your writing, or your plot, or your totally awesome characters, please do so! It adds to the fun.

Where's the old list of year-by-year winners?
Good eye! I've removed that as it took up a lot of thread space. But I'm keeping it updated and it's right here.

Has anyone on GAF had their NaNo professionally published?
Why, what a timely question! GAF's own H.Protagonist may not have technically won with her 2012 story, Dead Endings, but she damn well got it published! See here for the full details (plus way cool illustrations!).

Useful tools:

Hangouts:
We have two places to hang out. Google Hangouts, with a structured hangout planned for every Sunday from 2-4 PM Pacific time. I will post a link in the thread whenever those go live.
The second is the new GAF NaNo Tinychat room. It can be found here: http://tinychat.com/writinggaf The password is (quote to see):
The Tinychat should be always running and you should feel free to go in and hang out whenever you feel like getting some writing done, or maybe chatting a little. If people want to organize word sprints or anything using the Tinychat, that's totally cool!

Software:
Scrivener: a word processor that incorporates scene and character notes, outlines, research documents, and more. Get a free trial through December 7th for NaNo. (And a discount on the full version if you win!)
Q10: an alternative word processor which removes all distractions, helping you focus on your work.
Write or Die: start writing in a text box. And don't stop... or else. Give it a try, very motivating. (also has a newer downloadable version)

Sites:
Snowflake Method: a solid plotting method that helps you get from single-sentence summary to detailed outline. I have used this several times and it was instrumental in actually completing those novels. (You don't need the software, the whole method is described in full at the link.)
Adoptions: on the NaNo forums, it's traditional to leave some ideas that other people can pick up and run with. Adopt a plot, adopt a setting, adopt a title, and many more!
NaNo Sprints: start your engines! Get off to the races with some NaNo sprints, where you compete with other NaNoers to write a bunch of words in a short interval. Also on Twitter.
Backwards NaNo: a slightly different way of managing your word count. It's amortized! That means for the first two weeks, you're writing a lot more than everyone else. But by the last day, you only have to write a single word!

Other:
No Plot? No Problem: a book by the site's founder, intended as an aid for completing your novel and getting through the month.
How to Outline During NaPloYoNoMo: Wendig sums up a bunch of different outlining methods.
How to Get and Develop Killer Story Ideas: Youtube video of a con lecture. Does what it says on the tin.
Writing-GAF community thread
[your recommendations here]

And, of course, this thread! Feel free to post questions here, or show us your awesome excerpts, or just complain about how goddamn hard it is. We're here for you! The camaraderie is part of what makes it fun. :)

Cyan

Banned
Winners:
Code:
William			93,362
Burbeting		90,300
joshcryer		80,804
petethepanda		69,115
pitcairn55		53,711
Aerocrane		53,651
toythatkills		53,069
Grimløck		52,618
UCBooties		52,112
Dandy Crocodile		51,907
tiggerkiddo		51,407
Aiii			50,921
EskimoJoe		50,829
Dedication Through Light	50,602
Dolla Dolla		50,585
Schlomo			50,548
Sorastitch		50,529
bengraven		50,528
YesNOnoNOYes		50,435
Delio			50,261
Cade			50,254
bakemono		50,195
bluepolicebox		50,166
Schlocky		50,145
Korigama		50,143
Gazoinks		50,121
Hop			50,116
ZeroRay			50,114
LegendX48		50,110
irriadin		50,092
Ward			50,086
Carlisle		50,077
Alur			50,075
Moonkid			50,073
kunu			50,072
GSR			50,060
The Scollard		50,058
Vagabundo		50,058
Narag			50,054
xeris			50,051
Timu			50,042
Nezumi			50,041
Karu			50,034
Evilisk			50,020
DumbNameD		50,011
Ourobolus		50,010
SmarterUnconscious	50,009
Ashes			50,004
BenjaminBirdie		50,000
Cyan			50,000
Leaderboard:
Code:
Rayen			48,287
roknin			28,170
Kalor			28,104
Max Armstrong		25,170
FlowersisBritish	25,125
XANDER CAGE		24,321
Musha_Soturi		19,039
JonnyDBrit		18,508
dramatis		18,364
lastflowers		18,245
FUBAR McDangles		16,476
Zelias			15,831
toddhunter		14,021
meijiko			12,556
Simmins			12,050
Seductivpancakes	10,268
Aiko Heiwa		10,141
RedBoot			10,032
Bootaaay		10,027
Scirrocco		9,997
Song of Fire		8,941
killer rin		8,785
Kalentan		7,866
Aon			7,413
Plasticine		7,016
Gaz_RB			6,233
Santiako		5,912
fredrancour		5,300
drowsy			5,227
Sign			4,547
DragonBlade42		4,522
choodi			4,176
timetokill		4,014
pathos11		3,457
Problem Attic		3,445
[b]Benchmark[/b]		3,333
Fiction			3,162
Soulstar		2,705
Sibersk Esto		2,315
Incendiary		2,206
ExVicis			2,022
Citadelofmythoughts	2,018
Vincent Grayson		1,983
midramble		1,933
Captain Rage Quit 69	1,757
RoyaleDuke		1,687
Verdre			1,575
A Tinge of Twinge	1,461
Ludovico		1,338
Wurst			1,273
LordAmused		1,232
Kimaka			1,063
H.Protagonist		1,060
fep			994
Aiustis			753
Loona			618
ezekial45		517
air2gear		100
Like the hat?		0
Gigglepoo		0
Croatoan		0
marzlapin		0
bitizenbon		0
B-Dubs			0
MistaBowaa		0
Czarcasm		0
peaceiscloser		0
melonrabbit		0
carlsojo		0
ZackieChan		0
CheesecakeRecipe	0
Ivan A Nguyen		0
Vincent Alexander	0
Oozer3993		0
Notrollious		0
Relix			0
Sonicbug		0
GDGF			0
L.B. Jeffries		0
Petit Melon		0
Briarios		0
Rezbit			0
Pickman			0
Cilla			0
Sober			0
AtomskEater		0
Calvero			0
Future PhaZe		0
Candeldandel		0
Freeza Under The Shower	0
mu cephei		0
WriterGK		0
Jigorath		0
SRG01			0
Nudull			0
Wafflecakes		0
marrec			0
DedValve		0
War Peaceman		0
Heredia			0
Thraktor		0
Hackworth		0
teiresias		0
Obscured		0
Phillip E.		0
exmachina64		0
Earthstrike		0
(People in red have completed NaNoWriMo previously. The benchmark for completing 50k in 30 days is bolded.)

This will be my second one and the first one using my own personal world/characters. Last one was a big Mass Effect fanfic (which I'm still proud of, thank you very much)

Jintor

Not in this year, but i'll happily chew popcorn from the sidelines. Maybe sketch out a story draft.

/edit wait, hasn't HPro completed NaNo before?

Evilisk

Huh I was just looking for a NaNoWriMo thread about ten minutes ago

Anyway, I'm doing it this year (3 years in a row now I think)

Woo-hoo!

Caught in the act! Was just testing NaNobot before moving it. ;)

It's the only way the sequel will ever get done in time before March doom.

And I've had you under surveillance for this thread for ages. Ages.

Not in this year, but i'll happily chew popcorn from the sidelines. Maybe sketch out a story draft.

/edit wait, hasn't HPro completed NaNo before?

Got to 37,000-ish during my attempt before, so failed NaNo, but that chunk is what the publisher picked up, so it was still a win in a way! ;)

Delio

Cyan you sneaky devil. I was wondering when this was going up then BAM it's here. Btw of course I'm in.

xeris

I'm in again. haven't decided if I want to finish what I've been working on for the last 2 or start something new.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I'll try again this year. I need to do this.

Maybe I should change my wording to "I will win this year without a doubt!"

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Long-lost 2009 winner (back when I was Charron) reporting for duty.

There is a non-zero chance I will do this by writing a TWINE story. Don't know that it'll be a "game" per se, but I'm interested in a variable narrative.

I did this once. I want to try to do this again. I'm in!

Started college and its been a decade since I really did some serious writing. This might be good practice for college level writing.

So, I'm going to be writing a course for indie game developers, but I might as well use the NaNoWriMo format to do it! I look forward to joining y'all!

Ugh, god. I don't have a story idea yet for NaNo.

Obviously, I'm in, regardless. Either I think of a new idea or I take a second crack at the same thing I did last time. Let's go for a two-fer!

Sober

Throw me on the board but I'm a big maybe. Don't see myself coming close to winning this year but it's a good excuse to get writing done as long as life allows it.

Cyan

Banned
There is a non-zero chance I will do this by writing a TWINE story. Don't know that it'll be a "game" per se, but I'm interested in a variable narrative.

Neat, that's a cool idea. Have you done anything in TWINE before?

Ugh, god. I don't have a story idea yet for NaNo.

Plenty of time still! Sometimes I like to check out the adopt-a-plot stuff, even though a lot of them are silly, just to see if they spark anything.

William

I'm in this year again! Have tried and given up two years in a row but have a feeling I will make it this time. Better start jotting down ideas...

Wurst

Is it time already?

I'm moving into another city for Uni this month, leaving my gf at home. This will be the perfect distraction. Count me in!

Plenty of time still! Sometimes I like to check out the adopt-a-plot stuff, even though a lot of them are silly, just to see if they spark anything.

Yeah, I'll have to check that out.
I've got a few kernels of ideas, but nothing that's been fleshed out in a way that could fill 50k words. But I suppose that's why they invented October!

Evilisk

Anybody decided on what they're doing yet?

I'm probably gonna do a story/reverse novelization for a pet project, RPG maker game I've been working on. I'd been neglecting story for a while in favor of stuff like design, and I figured that NaNoWriMo would be a pretty good time to work through it.

I've got no idea if game scripts are permitted (and I've no idea how to write a script at all) so I'll be doing it in a novel format and then I'll just adapt it for the game instead. I'm calling it a reverse novelization since I figured that'd be easier to type than "novel that's written to be adapted for a game"

Cyan

Banned
I've got no idea if game scripts are permitted (and I've no idea how to write a script at all) so I'll be doing it in a novel format and then I'll just adapt it for the game instead. I'm calling it a reverse novelization since I figured that'd be easier to type than "novel that's written to be adapted for a game"

As far as what's permitted and what isn't, I think it's ok to be a little relaxed about that, especially if you've already completed a NaNo or two. If the thing you're doing isn't exactly a novel, but still makes sense to do wordcounts for, then go for it. I'm not sure if a 50k wordcount is doable or not for a game script.

Although certainly if the reverse novelization works for you, feel free to do it that way!

Yeah, I'll have to check that out.
I've got a few kernels of ideas, but nothing that's been fleshed out in a way that could fill 50k words. But I suppose that's why they invented October!

Too damn right. :p

Long-lost 2009 winner (back when I was Charron) reporting for duty.

I thought about making a game to teach legal issues to game developers, using TWINE. Someday...

I'm probably gonna do a story/reverse novelization for a pet project, RPG maker game I've been working on. I'd been neglecting story for a while in favor of stuff like design, and I figured that NaNoWriMo would be a pretty good time to work through it.

Sequel to my first book. It's basically all due in Dec for the magazine, so, uh, do or die this NaNo.

I like the sound of yours. I've always wanted to try my hand at writing for a game. Seems like a cool way to tackle both your game and write a book. You better post updates or screens of the game as you go along!

Had a crazy idea for a fantasy novel. Haven't decided how straight I'm playing it. The protagonist has magic but it's basically a passive ability, others become stronger (or realize their gifts) when they're around her. Part of the story is her having no idea of her ability, she just believes she's poor at being a mage.

I guess I'm in :( Last year was super disappointing for me, but this year I have and idea and a month to outline my plan... God, I really, really want to finish. Especially when I see CheesecakeRecipe finish in like 10 days or fewer every year. I can't even.

What the hell, I'll give it a shot. October is pilot-writing month for my kickass idea and then I would love to segue into taking a stab at a novel once again.

Is it cheating if I adapt a rough first draft of a script I wrote into a novel? Obviously a lot of work has to go into the transition in order to fill it out.

Evilisk

I think I might do a fanfic of Fifty Shades of Grey where I reverse the genders of the main characters. Should be fast and easy.

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

As far as what's permitted and what isn't, I think it's ok to be a little relaxed about that, especially if you've already completed a NaNo or two. If the thing you're doing isn't exactly a novel, but still makes sense to do wordcounts for, then go for it. I'm not sure if a 50k wordcount is doable or not for a game script.

Although certainly if the reverse novelization works for you, feel free to do it that way!

I think I'll just attempt it as a novel first for this year. All my attempts at scripts have been kinda bad. And I think working the game (alongside my normal stuff + NaNoWriMo) is gonna be pretty busy enough without trying to think about how to approach a script.

I'll keep that in mind for next year though.

I like the sound of yours. I've always wanted to try my hand at writing for a game. Seems like a cool way to tackle both your game and write a book. You better post updates or screens of the game as you go along!

Thanks!

Also as to the bolded, we'll see if I can.

Cyan

Banned
What the hell, I'll give it a shot. October is pilot-writing month for my kickass idea and then I would love to segue into taking a stab at a novel once again.

Is it cheating if I adapt a rough first draft of a script I wrote into a novel? Obviously a lot of work has to go into the transition in order to fill it out.

Purists might call it cheating. I'd call it writing from an extensive outline. ;)

GSR

Hoo boy. Going into this year a lot less prepared than last, but we'll see what I can do.

(Worst comes to worst I may actually wind up writing a game script rather than a novel, but since it's an adventure/RPG with plenty of description when you examine things, I can pretend like it's not too far off a standard novel.)

Delio

Hoo boy. Going into this year a lot less prepared than last, but we'll see what I can do.

(Worst comes to worst I may actually wind up writing a game script rather than a novel, but since it's an adventure/RPG with plenty of description when you examine things, I can pretend like it's not too far off a standard novel.)

I was wondering if you'd join this year.

Ashes

Banned
I have a lot of books to read. Thus writing is taking a backseat

Project: Rewriting Pride & Prejudice for the modern era. Or setting it in the modern era.

Yes. Yes. I know. Cheating. But I can't be asked not to do anything, because I know I'll be joining in half way down the month of November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom