• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Bryan Singer is OUT, who do YOU want to direct X-Men 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Internet grumblings have tapped Joss Whedon (ugh!) as an adequate replacement. Don't get me wrong, the man can sure write X-Men, but can he direct X-Men?

Me? I'm going to steal something I saw on another message board and say James Cameron would be a good fit.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Willco said:
Internet grumblings have tapped Joss Whedon (ugh!) as an adequate replacement. Don't get me wrong, the man can sure write X-Men, but can he direct X-Men?

Is there some reason he wouldn't be able to? Don't like his directing style?

I'd like Joss Whedon myself, but then I care much more about his works than I do about X-Men. So I guess I don't have the worry a lot of you would if he directed.

G4life98

If whedon has shown anything in his short run on the x-men , it is that he understands the character and isnt afraid of the more fantastic elements that make the xmen a fun read.

it will be a couple of problem getting x3 going, since in addition to needing a new director, they have to find a new storm and a screenwriter.

cameron is a good choice, i think whedon would rock, i think the guy who did the latest hp flick could do a good job.

WES ANDERSON!

Can't you imagine it? Wolverine is everyone's favorite student at the Mutant Academy, but one day Professor Xavier shoots him in the hand with a BB Gun for telling Cyclopes that Xavier's mom gave him a hand job! So he runs off pursuing a dream of being a criminal! But on the way he discovers another mutant: Latin man! And he's in trouble! So Wolverine saves Latin! Then all the cast gets sparklers and sings Auld Lang Syne! But then for some reason everyone is on a sinking WWII battleship and Magneto saves them! Then more sparklers! Wouldn't it be great!? SPARKLERS!!1!!1!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I haven't seen any of his work, but from the footage of Harry Potter 3 I've seen I'd think Alfonso Cuarón would fit visually and I've heard good things about him overall.

Saturnman

Banned
Paul Verhoeven. Those Wolverine claws would finally tear through flesh with reckless abandonnement with an orgy of blood.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Does the proliferation of superhero moves cost you sleep at night?

It does, actually.

How is it different from any other movie genre? It's like Science Fiction, or Comedy. Just don't see them if you don't like them.

It's different in the fact that no other genre has come as close to being responsible for completely desecrating the images set forth by the comic books.

So far, Raimi and Burton are the only directors I respect in the field of comic book > movie translations. Richard Donner did pretty well too.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people think Joss Whedon is some kind of genius. He writes and directs TV for gods sake

Singer was a great choice as a director for X-Men and I don't think anyone else would have given it as respectful and serious a tone as he did.

Out of the directors who I think would actually take the movie on if given a chance and out of those I had to pick someone to helm a third X-Men film I'd choose one of...

Vincenzo Natali - The man has a great style and works with effects well.

Joe Johnston - Knows effects and human drama. Hidalgo was amazingly photographed.

Kevin Reynolds - Not a big fan of his work but he knows comic style adventure.

John Moore - Knows effects and has a great style. He has also worked with 20th Century Fox.

Doug Liman - His shooting style is similar to Singers

Martin Campbell - Only if he pulled a Zorro out of it instead of a Vertical Limit.

Danny Boyle - Works with Fox and has eye for it. Don't know if he'd like the effects involved.

David Twohy - Below and Pitch Black were excellent, Riddick proved he stumbles with large scale though.

Brad Anderson - Unproven with a movie like this but he could easily make something out of it.

Guillermo Del Toro is a good director who shoots really well but all of his movies just have no soul behind them. I'm surprised no one said Tim Burton! That is a first is an a comic book movie thread. Burton can't direct action or drama or traffic.

Cafeman

It would be incredibly cool if Donner directed X3, along with a new John Williams score, while Singer is doing Supes (erm ... also with a John Williams score!).

Xmen's score was just plain BAD. Terrible. X2's soundtrack = much improved (different guy).

Just don't get Ang Lee to do it.

jett

D-Member
I don't think I'll ever understand why people think Joss Whedon is some kind of genius. He writes and directs TV for gods sake

Me either. I mean, for fuck's sake, the guy created freaking Buffy.

Cafeman said:
It would be incredibly cool if Donner directed X3, along with a new John Williams score, while Singer is doing Supes (erm ... also with a John Williams score!).

Xmen's score was just plain BAD. Terrible. X2's soundtrack = much improved (different guy).

I would agree with you if it were 1989 and Donner just wrapped Lethal Weapon 2. Even though I actually enjoyed Timeline and parts of Lethal Weapon 4 (mostly because of seeing Gibson with Glover again) Donner hasn't impressed me.

He'll likely turn in another classic movie in the years prior to his death just like Frankenheimer did but I doubt that movie could be X-Men.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Cafeman said:

That will never happen. Richard Donner's wife was the producer on both X-Men flicks and she has gone with Bryan Singer to work on Superman. Why is this relevant? Because it's likely that Richard Donner will produce as well due to the relationship with both his wife and the Superman series he created. Bryan Singer's Superman film will have continuity with Donner's.

Willco

Hollywood Square
teiresias said:
I hope there's a line in there referencing reversing the earth's rotation to turn back time!!! <=sarcasm

To tell you the truth, all joking aside, I have no clue how he's going to connect a modern Superman tale to Donner's flicks.

All we have to go on is the title Superman Returns, meaning will either have a Death of Superman story or something that explains what has happened to Superman over the years since his glory days with Richard Donner.

Cafeman

The only thing that makes sense with that is they'll use the same John Williams score. That is how it is 'connected' to the Donner film. Just a guess. And it'll have a Reeves cameo.

They can't use any of the original actors, so even a 'superman reborn' idea wouldn't work. And that's a poor idea anyway.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Paul WS Anderson
Uwe Boll
Renny Harlin<<<

Don't even joke about that.

>>>Michael Bay<<<

Actually, I think he's a skilled director. He's just never had a good screenplay to work from.
On a related note, maybe Singer's decision to leave X-Men had something to do with the shitty writing on the series? He's too good for that material.

teiresias

On a related note, maybe Singer's decision to leave X-Men had something to do with the shitty writing on the series? He's too good for that material.

Singer was pretty intimately involved in the writing process in both films and has the writers on set with him most, if not all of the time. For the most part I think the writing in the X-Men films is very good, though I think the plot device in the first one was rather weak (and then there's that infamous line from Storm). I have hardly any issues with X2 though.

Error Macro said:
So far, Raimi and Burton are the only directors I respect in the field of comic book > movie translations. Richard Donner did pretty well too.

del Toro did a very good job by bringing a unknown character to screen with Hellboy.

Someone who nows how to direct an action scene with out the spastic camera and overuse of CG, alos a director who knows it a sequil and doesn't forget stuff they established in the previous movie.

anyway one person that came to mind for some reason...Ridley Scott.

Great Wasabi Man said:
anyway one person that came to mind for some reason...Ridley Scott.

Ridley is an amazing director but the material is pretty far below him.

Jamming Uwe Boll with Paul Anderson, Micheal Bay, and Renny Harlin is an absolute insult to those directors. Uwe Boll is amatuer night at the movies, the other 3 guys on that list are wildly differn't directors with mixed careers.

Micheal Bay IS a good director. Each of his films have glorious shots and cinematography. I really think he made two action classics with Bad Boys and The Rock. He failing is that his last 3 stories have been too big for him to handle and his lack of focus on the core plot creates a jumbled mess. The biggest failing is his want to please the mass market. His movies try to have something for everyone and in the end have nothing for anyone. He will end up making completely classic film one day.

Renny Harlin is the John Badham of our time. His style is very flat and his pace leaves something to be desired. Die Hard 2 doesn't stand up as well to the other Die Hard films. I think Cutthroat Island gets bashed more for its budget than the quality of the film and I think it is Renny's best. The man isn't stupid, he does know what he is doing. It actually makes me feel bad that his movies have actually been degrading in quality as he was once hailed as a director to watch.

Paul Anderson knows how to light and shoot. His problem is that he thinks like a twelve year old. He also ignores plot and realism to bring across a visual idea such as the entire design of the Event Horizon. No spacecraft in the world would ever be built to look like that. Soldier was pure and utter trash and is his worst film by a wide margin. He is unfairly beaten upon though. I know AVP isn't going to be great but it'll be far from something as piss poor as Uwe Boll would make.

Jim Bowie

I would absolutely love to see Takeshi Kitano direct X3.

Second choice, since that would never happen, David Fincher.

FoneBone

WE RIDE TOGETHER, WE DIE TOGETHER! BAD BOYS 4 LIFE!

So, Bay hasn't made anything resembling a good movie in 8 years... yeah, I think he's well-qualified. :rolleyes

Still, I wasn't actually trying to say that any of the directors on that list were as bad as Uwe Boll.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Honestly, I think Michael Bay could make a damned fine movie if given a good script. I haven't seen either Bad Boys film, but Pearl Harbor sucked due to the script primarily, not due to his direction. Same can be said for Armageddon, although I don't think that was as bad. Now, The Rock I think is an action classic. Sure, it's occasionally cheesy and contrived but it's damned good. Bay knows how to direct and contribute a very patriotic/noble element that I still contend would have made him an excellent choice for Superman. Give him a good script and I really think he could shine, especially in a project meant to have that unabashedly patriotic feel that most of his films have.

My ideal situation would be to have Singer go do X-Men 3 and throw Michael Bay on Superman, but for whatever reason Singer feels the need to screw that up. If Superman doesn't kick tons of ass, I'm going to be real curious as to what truly made him switch over, the creative possibilities or the paycheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom