• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Bryan Singer is OUT, who do YOU want to direct X-Men 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk said:
Joel Schumacher.

Joel is actually a good director with the right material. He also had terrible decision making ability when he isn't working within a genre he knows. Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, Tigerland, Phone Booth, and Veronica Guerin are all highly watchable.

The two Batman movies and stuff like Bad Company gives him a terrible rep. 8mm would have been great had it stuck to the script.

jarrod

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Guillermo Del Toro is a good director who shoots really well but all of his movies just have no soul behind them.
You haven't seen "The Devil's Backbone" I take it? Then again with Pedro Almodovar even slightly involved, I don't see how the film couldn't have soul. :)

Trevelyon

Exactly, Blade 2 & especially Mimic aren't the best representations of his work... but it's usually the case, that is all people have to go off. I think Hellboy was by far his best work... in Hollywood at least, he is extremely resourceful & knows how to stretch a budget. He has such unique style of shooting that makes his work such a spectatcle to watch & he has such a passion for his work, just listen to the DVD commentaries on Blade 2, the Devil's Backbone & especially Hellboy.

But as far as X3 goes, GDT doesn't seem to be that interested in the series.... I think he said he'd review the offer if Fox ever approached him for a X-men/Spinoff movie, but it'd be unlikely that he'd do it. Anyways considering how stacked his schedule is for the next year or so, with him shooting Pan's Labyrinth in Spain, starting pre-production on Hellboy 2 early next year & perhaps doing 'At the Mountains of Madness' for Dreamworks. So, I don't think he'd accept if he was approached, though who knows.

jarrod said:
You haven't seen "The Devil's Backbone" I take it? Then again with Pedro Almodovar even slightly involved, I don't see how the film couldn't have soul. :)

Out of Del Toro's movies I've seen...

Cronos
Mimic
Blade 2
Devil's Backbone
Hellboy

Devil's Backbone is probably his best movie. From that film I think he is really suited to doing a Harry Potter sequel as he nailed the tone and got some great scares in there.

I hated Cronos and wondered what all the fuss was about when it came out. Mimic was just dull. Blade 2 was fun to watch but left me feeling completely empty. Hellboy was fun as well but when it ended I just felt so cold about it.

With Hellboy I'm going to wait for the directors cut to pass any kind of judgement as I can tell the theatrical version has been paired down significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom