• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the hype has died down, will you buy a Steam Deck?

Are you buying a Steam Deck at some point in the future?

• Yes, I wanted to buy one ever since they announced it

Votes: 82 38.0%
  • Yes, I didn't want one at first but now I want it

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • No, but I would if I had the money

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • No, I'm not interested in Switch-like portable gaming

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • No, I wanted one but now I don't want it anymore

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • No, never intended to buy one.

Votes: 79 36.6%

• Total voters
I'm still eagerly awaiting my preorder. Hopefully a lot of people ahead of me cancel so I can get mine sooner (I have Q1 delivery currently).

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have a preorder in but won't be in the first shipment, which I'm quite happy about. I'll be happy to see what people think for a few months before I have to make my decision.

I think concerns about performance are valid but at the same time, showing it running Control makes me think positive thoughts.

Tbh, I think it's quite likely that I'll cancel, I would love a portable gamepass machine, and I'm just not sure I want to get into using another storefront. I know that installing a different OS is possible but I would worry that performance might take a massive hit. But I remain interested to see what happens.

linkroi

Of course, not day one, but i will certainly buy the steam deck one day, it will replace my switch for most of the independent games that i have to buy on switch a second time (if i want to play elsewhere). It's like a "dream" to have my steam library on the go, so yes, i still want to purchase it.

Most likely never. If I need to game, I'll game on my PC. No need for mobile gaming, I don't even have a game installed on my phone. Maybe if I get a job where I can slack off a lot sure but until then, I have 0 needs for it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not really interested in Steam Deck. It's a handheld but it's not really an everyday portable for me at its size and weight. I actually prefer my RG351M for gaming on the go even to the switch. If I were traveling or staying in a hotel it might be good to take the Steam Deck along I needed entertainment for a few hours away from home. I may consider buying one second hand down the road if someone gets tired of theirs and sells it.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Unlikely. If I were to buy a gaming PC I'd want a future proof one, and this is not it.
So you want the Steam Deck to be a $1500 device?

You can either buy the Steam Deck or a Ryzen 7 5800X. Not much you can do with just a CPU.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
can 1 of you asshole mods explain why I can no longer start a new thread? Tried private messaging no response.
bold-strategy-jason-bateman.gif

GametimeUK

I get a lot of people really want "next gen" games running on this handheld, but I think I have my expectations in check for this one. Indie titles and classic games (up to around 360/PS3 gen) are going to be my flavour for this device. There's going to be so much for me to play and enjoy on the go.

I've been interested since day 1. Pre ordered for Q2 next year. I'll cancel the pre order if the reviews for the device aren't favourable. I am a tad skeptical.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Lucky enough to get into the first group so I should have mine before 2022. Hope the dock isn't too pricey because I'll be getting that as soon as it drops as well.

Pre-ordered and hope to have mine before the end of 2021. Fingers crossed.

And the hype hasn't died down for my son, joker talks about it almost everyday!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So you want the Steam Deck to be a $1500 device?

You can either buy the Steam Deck or a Ryzen 7 5800X. Not much you can do with just a CPU.

No, it's at exactly the price point it needs to be for what it is. It's great for most games that exist now, and if you want that that's great. But it's not a device for the games that will be coming out a few years from now.

Do we know how it handles something like CP2077?

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm taking a "wait for the reviews" approach to this. There is nothing inherently special about the deck and if it is popular, may being out slightly better clones from other vendors.

Impotaku

I much preferred the method GOG uses rather than the steam storefront as on GOG you own the software as in you download a fully drm free installer file & the game is yours even if GOG vanished you still have the game to do whatever you want with fully working with or without online access, the yeah but you are only getting a license argument means shit as in realworld scenario as you can do as you would with the file as it's not checking in anywhere to determine if it can be run. While there are probably ways around making steam stuff work if valve ever folded i don't like the idea of a huge digital library been held captive on the whim of a company & lets be real when stuff goes wrong steam support can be abysmal. While a laptop is bigger if i wanted to portable pc game i'd probably go with that route and just stick to my GOG stuff.

The deck is only appealing if you have a huge steam library in the firstplace, without that it's a lot of a harder sell. Steam isn't enough for me to ever make me take that risk.

Tschumi

i have two vitas, two psps, a new 3ds... all the games i could ever want for any of them... and i barely play them anymore. i also have a laptop with every PC game i could ever want on steam and gog (and two on epic) and i barely play any of them either.

so, no, i won't get a steam deck.

....i will get gran turismo 7 though...

spons

Gold Member
My unit arrives in December and I wouldn't want it any other way. 99% emulation of older devices and 1% indies, so the specs don't bother me that much. Considering the architecture, it's about the cheapest proper PS2 emulation handheld you can find since PCSX2 doesn't have native ARM support.

Last edited:

Banned
I doubt it will be able to play any new AAA game at any acceptable quality. I still want to know how it runs The Medium, I actually wonder if it can get above 480p30fps in that game, and that's one of the earliest current gen only games

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's got some quad purpose benefits, play a bunch of emulators, play some pc games, then hook it to a monitor for some homework, or hook it to a TV as a media player.

Rykan

I'm interested, but I'm a bit concerned that it might be too heavy. I'll wait until reviews come out.

TonyK

Screen is too small for a huge device like that. I don't understand how phones have screens for all the surface but Switch and Steamdeck have those plastic bezels like a cheap toy. I understand the analogs and buttons part, but the big inner bezel is a no buy for me. It feels like a cheap prototype prior to phones existence.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't get handhelds, and don't see the purpose. When on the move I prefer doing other stuff. I'm kinda fascinated over other people being interested though, and I'm interested in all kinds of tech, and that's pretty much why I keep following the news anyway.

Anyway, I don't see much difference between answer 4. and 6. other than that 4. could answer why you'd pick answer 6.

Last edited:

Hugare

I will get one. Eventually.

This thing will probably come to Brazil at R$ 5.000,00. Thats more than my monthly salary. No way I'm getting it at launch.

It will be a blast to play old games on the go.

Max Payne 3, Witcher 2, Binary Domain ... Games that are stuck on PC/last gen that I would be able to play on the go.

Do we know how it handles something like CP2077?
Not directly, but we have some idea through inference.
Here's what Aya Neo can do with Cyberpunk, tuned for 2 hours of battery life.

The Deck has a generational advantage on Neo's GPU, to the tune of 50%, and better thermals. Altogether we'd see either better battery life, or better framerate (no point, it's unlikely to get to 60 so you might as well lock it to 30), or better visuals.

Top Bottom