• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that you have it, PS5 design: like or no like?

Are you "satisfied" with PS5's design?

• Yes - I like it

• No - I don't like it

• Irrelevant

• Mixed Feelings

Results are only viewable after voting.

yurqqa

I have PS5 and XBOX SX on the different side of TV - it's like Yin and Yang of the design.
I love it !

Tevious

Looks stupid, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The size is the main problem. The width is the same as my console shelf space and it actually touches on both sides if I tried to put it in there horizontally. I don't think that would be good for air flow, so right now I got it standing vertical behind my TV, mostly out of sight. Since I have the digital version and won't be using discs, it's fine back there.

euthDuR.jpg

Why does this remind me of Harry Winkler?

Like it. I have white painted walls, ebony (black) wood flooring, white tv stand. Just matches extremely well despite the size. Ohh and I've flipped way too many times on this but vertical is the way to go now that I have it in real life.

Last edited:

Tiptop10

Neo Member
Maybe it's the way I've chosen to position it but to me, looks beautiful in person. It's massive, but beautiful and massive.

lachesis

I am okay with the design (the shape), but I don't like how big the thing is.... and how the stand is so flimsy when it's on the side. A little push takes the clip off, it was a little painful experience setting it up, trying to adjust it into my cabinet.

Hakiroto

I don't particularly like it but I also don't hate it. I'm fortunate enough to have bought both a Series X and a PS5 and the PS5 really breaks the clean look I had going on with the TV area. That said, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it – the games are great so I'm happy.

Shifty1897

I don't know how anyone could like the look of it. It"s the most obnoxious, pretentious console I've ever wanted to own. Sony hubris is back.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thoughts?

I still find it ugly, but less so when it is standing tall next to my OG PS3, you can kind of see some throwback to that design a bit too. Then once you almost get a bit more familiar with the design (the lights look quite cool) you are back scratching your head on where to fit that Big MOFO and it has to lay on its side which looks so much worse and dare you try to move it in the non ideal way and the stand will slip away easily.

It is not as ugly vertically, but it is just too big for many to find a proper space that way where you can leave it out like that and in a visible position... I get their designer’s point but this was a bit arrogant in the “we will not fit around your space, you will make space for my design kind of way”.

Then again, solving those thermal issues and not take away precious budget from what powers the games is more important than pure aesthetics.

It looks really bad from the side, but if you can set it up so it's only visible from the front it's pretty good. The white/black aesthetic makes it blend fairly well in a room with white walls.

DonJorginho

Banned
I love the design, just wish you could:

A) Turn off the lights on the console
B) Get rid of that terrible glossy back finish

sublimit

Banned
I don't have it yet but i really like it,especially the digital version (which is a shame since i will buy the disc drive version).I actually prefer its more bold design than PS4's more conservative one.

GHG

Even with the DE I still don't like it. First impressions when I took it out of the box were that it felt cheap and a bit flimsy. The white covers do it no favours and I can't help but think they could have done something better there whether that be making those black or red using the footprint of them and having one side be flat so that you don't need to use the silly stand to lay it on its side.

It's a perfect example of overdesigning a product. On the quest to create a product that differentiates itself visually they didn't think about practicality or whether it was necessary to have a stand out design like this.

The only saving grace for me personally is that my PC also has a black and white theme so they sort of match when sat side by side but no way would I put it in my living room, purely for aesthetic reasons. It stays in my office/man cave for now and I'll continue to use the Samsung qled with it instead of the oled in the living room (which is a shame but whatever).

Number one priority for the first revision of this console should be to simplify the design.

I also think they are missing a trick with the faceplates. You should be able to order the console using a custom configurator like you do if you want a custom pair of nikes or with the Xbox controllers - you should be able to order your console with customised faceplates from the factory.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I love the way it looks. I like the idea of every future playstation having a distinct look to it.

I thought the PS4 was a little safe after the PS3 curve.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I actually like it. Looks wierd and funky.

Needs a ps logo on it. And wish the controller had the ps colours on the buttons

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's grown on me a bit, I still don't think it's great though and I think they'll completely do away with the bizzare design in the pro upgrade.

waquzy

I like it, but the XSX looks better. Anyone notice when changing the disc on PS5 you can’t even put the finger in the hole to take the disc out, the top plate is interfering a bit, no biggie but still... XSX feels more premium imo

SonicJams

Well, just set it up...

- its ugly and huge. Worst part being that it looks like it came out of 2001. Same with the controller.
- Haptic controller triggers require more force and playing a racing game requires more finger strength now.
- UI isnt good, seems inconsistent. ps4 was much nicer.
- UI music is oddly negative, which my gf hates.

Other than that, its quite new and snappy haha.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Well, just set it up...

- its ugly and huge. Worst part being that it looks like it came out of 2001. Same with the controller.
- Haptic controller triggers require more force and playing a racing game requires more finger strength now.
- UI isnt good, seems inconsistent. ps4 was much nicer.
- UI music is oddly negative, which my gf hates.

Other than that, its quite new and snappy haha.

X99F9d8.jpg

Mega Man

I never had a PS4, so the PS5 works perfect for me. Especially with the PS collection included with a $30 annual subscription...

However, the console itself is like the toupee of my living room. As much as I try, I can't hide it and everyone can't help but stare at it...

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I originally thought it was trash but now that it’s beside my white PC case it fits right in. I wish the PS logo was in a different spot but other than that its grown on me

Jigsaah

Gold Member
3 stock alerts i got yesterday for PS5, all from game stop. All bundled. Did not succeed in getting one. This is getting so frustrating.

I kinda like the design, even though I don't have it yet. It clashes with literally everything else in my game room but whatever.

Top Bottom