• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the best time for Sony to bring Crash home?

I think it would depend on how Sony handled it. If they revive it and treat it like a red haired stepchild, it ain't going nowhere. I think they could capitalize off of it if they give it focus on PS Store, mention it at shows for goodwill, play up the nostalgia, etc...

it isn't just crash that has issuess, their store and getting to games is just bad. Same for microsoft. Needs a much better focus and layout honestly.

They need a hub for classics, for smaller games and for bigger games. Not just out of he way links and layers of crap. When you go to the first page it should simply say GAMES/ Movies/ Etc

Then it needs to have a very clear focus on what is new and an easy way to find what is old with options to choose list style or large picture icon style for those of us who like that. I think having the page outside of the main system UI is sort of bad too.

Sydle

Would Crash even sell in today's market on PlayStation?

I think it would be a big seller for PS VR. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think platformers will find a new life with VR. I'm hoping Sony's got at least one of their platformer IP going VR just to see what they can do with it.

aadiboy

Ratchet and Clank is pretty much the only animated platformer game of Sony's that has stuck. Everything else is dead, dormant, or in some other company's hands. I doubt Crash would survive long either, tbh.

Ratchet and Clank is pretty much the only animated platformer game of Sony's that has stuck. Everything else is dead, dormant, or in some other company's hands. I doubt Crash would survive long either, tbh.

I think one great game would be enough. It does not have to become a staple again.

ZarKryn7

Why would they care enough to ever do anything with the ip

I dunno. What do you think companies want to do with any IP? Have it bring money obviously. Duh

They could do an HD remaster, or have Sierra publish a small yet well budgeted and well made game from a independent developer. At this point, Crash could've been a Skylandeder character but they didn't want to for some weird reason. I'd buy it if it's Crash's original design unlike that monstrosity that is Crash of the Titans design

These are all like cheapskate routes they could take. Not major investments like a full blown AAA title.

SegaShack

People are going to get disappinted again just like last PSX. It would make no sense for Activison to sell it to Sony, let alone revive kt themselves.

ZarKryn7

People are going to get disappinted again just like last PSX. It would make no sense for Activison to sell it to Sony, let alone revive kt themselves.

I agree with the whole Activision buying it. Reviving it? I mean his 20th anniversary is coming up. At the least they could do is a HD remaster of sorts. A compiling of all the best Crash games from all platforms.

And two insiders have been teasing about some sort of revival.

Auctopus

Why would nd not want to make it? You really think they prefer making trees and buildings more than a game with more artistic freedom? You forget how things are created maybe. But I disagree with you. They would probably rather make a crash game. Most of them anyways

You guys really think Activision would give up a deal to make or take money? I don't.

Crash is always at the top in Europe for sales.

I believe Sony could find a deal Activision won't refuse. Sony needs to believe in it first.

Lol

I agree with the whole Activision buying it. Reviving it? I mean his 20th anniversary is coming up. At the least they could do is a HD remaster of sorts. A compiling of all the best Crash games from all platforms.

And two insiders have been teasing about some sort of revival.

Two? Who's the other one?

HE'LL BE A SKYLANDER AND YOU'LL LIKE IT! But seriously it would be a dream come true if he came home. Id love to see drinkbox, sanzaru, or sony japan take a crack at him.

Drinkbox I'm not familiar with. Going to give them a google.

Poor Sony I can see an scenario like this:
Sony rep: Okay we advertised Destiny like you asked and now we are advertising BO3 and any future COD, can we please have Crash back?
Activision rep: Sure Sony, you can have Crash back, but we want 7 mores years of Destiny marketing.

Poor Sony I can see an scenario like this:
Sony rep: Okay we advertised Destiny like you asked and now we are advertising BO3 and any future COD, can we please have Crash back?
Activision rep: Sure Sony, you can have Crash back, but we want 7 mores years of Destiny marketing.

I don't really see Sony that desperate to "get it back". They never owned it, for one thing, and they don't have to own it to get new games made. They'd look more for a partnership, I'd think.

Same idea for shenmue 3, they aren't having any ownership and neither is the developer. Sega owns it, gave them rights and it seems sega is pretty out o the picture for the most part. Sony annoucned it as well.

No reason why sony couldn;t do it even though I do see some benefits if they actually owned it. But, no reason why they couldn't work out a deal to only have him on PS systems as well as being able to use him in other games or situations. As long as activison is getting a free cut of profits and other fringe benefits they probably won't care unless he went real big.

Seems like a bit of a losing situation for sony though, he does bad in a game for them and it's just ike activison says ok... or if he does really well, no matter if its a million or three million seller it just gives activision more wiggle room to keep him and do what they want any time they want.

I hope if sony does strike a deal that it can be lucrative for all involved including gamers.

I don't really see Sony that desperate to "get it back". They never owned it, for one thing, and they don't have to own it to get new games made. They'd look more for a partnership, I'd think.

It's just a joke, I for one don't really want Crash back. I think the trilogy plus CTR are already perfect. Could use an HD remaster on all 4 though...

Seems like a bit of a losing situation for sony though, he does bad in a game for them and it's just ike activison says ok... or if he does really well, no matter if its a million or three million seller it just gives activision more wiggle room to keep him and do what they want any time they want.

Not as losing of a situation as you might think, really..

Dear Sony,

There is no way to make me buy a PS4 faster than a high quality new Crash Bandicoot game. As far as I'm concerned a Playstation isn't a Playstation until I can play Crash Bandicoot on it.

P.S. Please license the PS1 games for the US region for Vita. I call it Vita because it's not a Playstation in my mind without it.

entremet

This request is downright bizarre.

I get nostalgia. Crash 2/3 were amazing.

But are people aware how much Sony's strategy has changed since the PS1 days?

Crash doesn't fit. At all.

This request is downright bizarre.

I get nostalgia. Crash 2/3 were amazing.

But are people aware how much Sony's strategy has changed since the PS1 days?

Crash doesn't fit. At all.

Sony's strategy seems to be "games"

and as far as I can tell crash is a game?

What are you saying here that sony can't make a crash game cause they make uc? They also make puppeteer, knack and other games...

Sony's strategy seems to be "games"

and as far as I can tell crash is a game?

What are you saying here that sony can't make a crash game cause they make uc? They also make puppeteer, knack and other games...

Plus look at what they are doing with Ratchet & Clank. I mean they pull those games out their ass every year it seems and it's now getting a freaking movie on the calibre of Pixar.

I said this in another thread but if they can keep Ratchet & Clank relevant, they sure as hell can keep Crash.

Plus imo Crash has more clout than Ratchet too.

If the rights ever get sorted I think Sanzaru would be a great developer to take Crash on. And I reckon it would sell very well. Platformers are seeing a resurgance in popularity and everyone knows Crash, even people who don't play videogames anymore or even just casual gamers.

If marketed correctly I think it could be a big hit.

Plus look at what they are doing with Ratchet & Clank. I mean they pull those games out their ass every year it seems and it's now getting a freaking movie on the calibre of Pixar.

I said this in another thread but if they can keep Ratchet & Clank relevant, they sure as hell can keep Crash.

Plus imo Crash has more clout than Ratchet too.

If the rights ever get sorted I think Sanzaru would be a great developer to take Crash on. And I reckon it would sell very well. Platformers are seeing a resurgance in popularity and everyone knows Crash, even people who don't play videogames anymore or even just casual gamers.

If marketed correctly I think it could be a big hit.

In my mind Ratchet was a AAA game back in ps2 and went down from that a bit with each passing game. I know a couple of the PS3 games were alright, but honestly my favorite in the series was always the ffirst which was a bit more platform heavy.

And yes, if Crash can't outsell ratchet I'd be surprised.

We talked about this earlier in the thread but I think Sucker Punch is a great it , i just hope they don't do semi open world like sly 2, 3 or the 4th sly game. I don't think Sanzaru has the developer graphics power to do what I think needs to be done, but Sucker Punch probably could.

In my mind Ratchet was a AAA game back in ps2 and went down from that a bit with each passing game. I know a couple of the PS3 games were alright, but honestly my favorite in the series was always the ffirst which was a bit more platform heavy.

And yes, if Crash can't outsell ratchet I'd be surprised.

We talked about this earlier in the thread but I think Sucker Punch is a great it , i just hope they don't do semi open world like sly 2, 3 or the 4th sly game. I don't think Sanzaru has the developer graphics power to do what I think needs to be done, but Sucker Punch probably could.

I disagree, Sly 4 looked wonderful. There were a couple places that lacked polish -- such as no facial animation or lip sync on the in-game dialogue, but there was plenty of polish in the cutscene animation and gameplay. In fact, I'm realizing that little concern is the only polish complaint i had about Sly 4.

I disagree, Sly 4 looked wonderful. There were a couple places that lacked polish -- such as no facial animation or lip sync on the in-game dialogue, but there was plenty of polish in the cutscene animation and gameplay. In fact, I'm realizing that little concern is the only polish complaint i had about Sly 4.

It doesn't look that far beyond the PS3 remasters of Sy ps2 imo

Could look a lot better but sly is a really really good looking ps2 game.

I felt the game was a bit short, lacking content and some of the worlds and gameplay were actualy a bit below the past 3 games in the series.

I don't think it was bad but it did have some rough spots for sre in the overall design

I still feel sly 1 is the best in the series and it isn't even close, but I liked it's more focused gameplay myself. Really like what they did with the level design and traversing in it. I liked what they did in infamous 1 that was very sly cooper like as well.

It doesn't look that far beyond the PS3 remasters of Sy ps2 imo

Could look a lot better but sly is a really really good looking ps2 game.

I felt the game was a bit short, lacking content and some of the worlds and gameplay were actualy a bit below the past 3 games in the series.

I felt it was close to or on par with them. Still an 8/10 game, anyways. My one complaint gameplay wise was it was far more linear than the other two Slys that had the hub structure. There was no real build up to a heist, you just kind of went through the checklist.

Crash Bash HD.

Belive.

I always feel like I'm in the minority of Crash fans, but CTR and Bash being updated wouldn't really get my juices flowing. I'd love to see Crash back for sure, but I prefer the platforming games. CTR is amazing though. Favorite non-platforming Crash for sure.

Knack was a launch title. People were thirsty for something.

What happened with Puppeeter and Tearaway?

Knack also had the marketing machine behind it a bit more than Puppeteer and Tearaway ever did. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a franchise like Crash could sell well with good marketing and a 75+ average score. The name still has value and the old games are still in favor today. They chart constantly on PSN. I would imagine if they were made available for Vita, they'd chart even more than they did, at least for the time it might have taken for the Vita userbase to catch up to the demand.

Knack also had the marketing machine behind it a bit more than Puppeteer and Tearaway ever did. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a franchise like Crash could sell well with good marketing and a 75+ average score. The name still has value and the old games are still in favor today. They chart constantly on PSN. I would imagine if they were made available for Vita, they'd chart even more than they did, at least for the time it might have taken for the Vita userbase to catch up to the demand.

If they could actually set a new standard for the game and visuals it would help. Bring back the funny and crazy commercials would be a nice touch too

Crash-Bandicoot-Commercials.png

Tizoc

Crash has nostolgia behind him, work with that and make the gameplay be short but satisfying and one that makes people come back to replay it.

Replayability is key here for the Crash series IMO. If I had them on my Vita I'd be replaying them maybe every other month.

I was never a crash fan just because I never had a PS1 when he was popular. My intro to Sony was with the PS2 and by then his games weren't known for their quality. So I don't understand the hype for him, but I did get hyped when I heard Ratchet & Clank were getting a reboot and film, so I guess I have empathy for Crash fans.

If they could actually set a new standard for the game and visuals it would help. Bring back the funny and crazy commercials would be a nice touch too

Crash-Bandicoot-Commercials.png

Fun fact, there was a tv show in development for Crash in the 90s featuring "Crash Suit Guy". I absolutely agree, the surrealist suit guy ads need to be part of the revival.

Crash has nostolgia behind him, work with that and make the gameplay be short but satisfying and one that makes people come back to replay it.

Replayability is key here for the Crash series IMO. If I had them on my Vita I'd be replaying them maybe every other month.

I agree. This is something these games do very well. Accessible and replayable.

I was never a crash fan just because I never had a PS1 when he was popular. My intro to Sony was with the PS2 and by then his games weren't known for their quality. So I don't understand the hype for him, but I did get hyped when I heard Ratchet & Clank were getting a reboot and film, so I guess I have empathy for Crash fans.

They still hold up. If you have anything that can play ps1 classics, try starting with Crash 2. Then you can book a ticket for the train with all of us.

Fun fact, there was a tv show in development for Crash in the 90s featuring "Crash Suit Guy". I absolutely agree, the surrealist suit guy ads need to be part of the revival.

I agree. This is something these games do very well. Accessible and replayable.

They still hold up. If you have anything that can play ps1 classics, try starting with Crash 2. Then you can book a ticket for the train with all of us.

I doubt the same man could hit up that suit almost 20 years later but a new guy would be ok I guess.

I doubt the same man could hit up that suit almost 20 years later but a new guy would be ok I guess.

Every one of the Sierra Crash games other than Twinsanity had Crash Suit Guy ads, and the new guy is just as good. It wouldn't be hard to find a guy to fill that niche.

I have to wonder if that's why the last two Crash games sold better and were million plus sellers, better advertising.

Top Bottom