• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Clockwork

Yep. That's it. The fact that it barely outperformed November despite no supply problems has nothing to do with it. It's because GAF is... GAF.

I'm not saying numbers couldn't have been better.

But come on? Is it really THAT terrible of a launch? Certainly not bad enough for some of the things being said in this thread.

I mean come on, someone compared it to the Virtual Boy.

GAF being GAF. (and that's ok)

onipex

The Wii U would be sold out if Nintendo only shipped 600k for the holiday. Instead they were stupid enough ship and sell more than the other HD consoles did at launch. Having sold more in the US holiday launch period only because they overshipped just shows how much Nintendo does not understand the market.Now the Wii U will fail because of their stupidity :(.

Krowley

The Wii U is not performing like the Wii, but it doesn't have a game of the caliber of Twilight Princess or even Wii Sports, to launch with it either.

Nintendo should be ashamed of that. You need a fucking awesome game--and I mean a really awesome AAA kick-ass game, like Mario 64--when you launch new hardware. Nintendo are the games company and they should have been able to deliver that. They had some cool shit to launch wii with, and that was one of the reasons it took off. TP may be a Cube game to some people, but most people played it on the Wii, and it is still one of the best games to come out for the system. It might even be the best, based on what I've played...

A Pikmin game somewhere on the distant horizon isn't going to cut it. Neither is 2D Mario. They need a game that everybody wants to play.

They had a similar problem when they launched 3DS. Then they corrected it and everything worked out okay. Hopefully they can do the same with Wii U.

PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

Sorry, the correct percentage should be: cod+ac3+madden13 ~ 85% PSV
Why even dabble in the handheld business if you're just going to half ass it?

Vita isn't dead dead yet then.
pretty bad PS3 numbers.

Less than 250K is pretty much dead. The Vita has already shit itself and is currently floating above the operating table.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, at least the game was "free" (the bundle is $249, no extra cost for the game).

I'd take a free 4GB memory card over free Declassified any day of the week.

Edit: Oh, the Declassified bundle also comes with a 4GB memory card. My mistake.

They had a launch effort that had some games and pretty much no marketing. Barring lack of product to sell, I would expect Microsoft to market the hell out of the 720.

vhEF6.gif

Stop blaming marketing when something doesn't sell. Nintendo simply did not put out a product that people wanted to buy.

They should have been able to sell out two months of hardware by selling it to hardcore Nintendo fans alone. They failed to even do that, and these are people who buy second and third 3DS's just for limited colors and decals.

NOA and NOE need to step it up and stop pretending that we're back in the 90s with their awful 3DS timings. They need to hire some people to translate and get these out within a few months of Japan. Hell, I doubt they even need to do that. The release schedule has been so thin the past year that there's no way that the localization teams are backed up. Instead they seem content on offering nothing at all for large periods of time, while Japan gets regular releases.

Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are being translated and released for the next year.

If you're talking Bravely Default, etc, that's hardly Nintendo's fault.

P90

I called the wii outselling wiiU and the very low numbers based on retail rumblings. Some called me an idiot for claiming such things but who has bitter tears now.

Nintendo needs to push the wiiu next to virtual boy and get a good next gen consoles hammered out ASAP. I really don't think the wiiu can be saved in the same way 3ds was.

Ridiculous.

Its not just the Vita Sony should be worried about.

They just shouldnt be allowing the 360 to have such a huge lead over the PS3 right now. I actually dont believe that CURRENT sales are an indication of whats going to happen during the launch of next gen consoles, but overall hype and momentum will be on MS' side going in.

They need to drop prices for both systems. They need to have a conference, soon, that focuses 100% on the Vita (if they dont plan on giving up, and want to see success long term) and announce a bunch of games. They need more aggressive marketing for both systems as well. They're losing the motion control gimmick battle against the kinect, so they need to change the conversation. Keep their marketing about the value of the PS3 and its games. Focus on the US.

As for Nintendo, holy hell. Whoever it was that said they need to kill the Wii was right.

The only ones hurting Nintendo, are Nintendo themselves.

Spiegel

It seems that there will be another COD for Vita this year. COD:BO Declassified is all profit for Activision and it's selling decently.

nickcv

To put it even more into perspective:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Wii U is not setting the world on fire but some of the reactions in this thread are way overblown.

You could even say Wii U is the best North American launch of a HD console in history.
Nintendo should hire me to do their PR.

that's a better picture, and you should consider that PR position at Nintendo =P

anyhow the numbers are not any good, that's for sure.

they have to turn this around, just like they did with the 3DS

That IDC report is looking even more ridiculous by the second.

Wii U and Vita are tied in my opinion. Vita gets huge points for pretty much being dead, on the other hand Sony's handheld business isn't nearly as important to them as Nintendo's console business.

crinale

Well PSV price drop can't be avoided, then.
The same goes to WiiU at some point.

But seriously, if the price point is so extremely important even to early adopters, I'm really worried about Durango and Orbis :(

Thanks Cream!

625k for PS3 as an average then. Wow

I really don't see how PS3 sales are that surprising. They went to the holidays without any big first party releases or price drop. November was still pretty good with all those deals but in december they didn't have those and sales went back to more normal numbers. I really don't know why they didn't release that budget model in US like they did in Europe.

AniHawk

okay, vita being above what it did in november isn't so bad then. 125k-200k would have been abysmal. 200k-250k is just plain bad, but there might be signs of life in the future at least.

So what's the bigger bomb this month, Wii U or Vita?

In what world is the Wii U a bomb (yet)? It's right in the middle of the pack in terms of numbers. Are we really at the point where if you aren't first, you're last?

*Full disclosure: I fully expect Wii U to do completely terribly in the States these next six months, but I don't think think these numbers specifically are bad, just simply average.

Striek

PS3 <650k is darn awful. Thats so strange, it was declining less than the X360 all year. The combination of X360 price drop + PS3 price rise I guess?
Wait, why is everyone panicing if Wii U outperformed both ps360 launches. And dont come with supply/theoretical sales please.

The honest answer is this; No healthy, in stock platform has ever sold less in December. So either it was out of stock, or sales weren't healthy.

A bad launch doesn't mean Nintendo can't turn it around, it is what it is.

slit

okay, vita being above what it did in november isn't so bad then. 125k-200k would have been abysmal. 200k-250k is just plain bad, but there might be signs of life in the future at least.

I disagree....I think it's really just over.

TheNatural

My Member!
As for Nintendo, holy hell. Whoever it was that said they need to kill the Wii was right.

The only ones hurting Nintendo, are Nintendo themselves.

Uh, no they weren't. You think what's keeping the Wii U from selling is the Wii? LOL. The Wii was $129 with game bundles at most places in December, the Wii U was $350 with a game bundle.

Old consoles stay around for a reason: they're cheap to make, people buy them, and they're profitable. If Nintendo didn't have the Wii or DS around, they would be millions more in the red, not sitting sky high on a bundle of increased current generation sales.

I'm not saying numbers couldn't have been better.

But come on? Is it really THAT terrible of a launch? Certainly not bad enough for some of the things being said in this thread.

I mean come on, someone compared it to the Virtual Boy.

GAF being GAF. (and that's ok)
Someone compared it to virtual boy. A single person. Sounds just like GAF all right.

*rolls eyes*

Top Bottom