• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

LuchaShaq

Banned
I do think that's a "third" group of people. Those people graduated and they're obviously late adopters. Again, a group that would not buy a WiiU.

Yep I know plenty of people who had a console from last gen, got a wii, and then the last 2 years got either a PS3 or a 360.

If Nintendo had released the wiiHD/WiiU/Wii2 a year or two ago they would have had more of a chance at those people.

i think both ps3 and wiiu need a steady stream of great exclusive software

Sony should have introduced the 12GB to the US market to go head to head with the 4GB 360, since last holiday season that was Microsoft's single biggest selling SKU. I'm surprised SCEA's hardware marketing head, John Koller, still has a job given Sony are getting annihilated in the US. Instead of lowering the price of PS3 they made it more expensive and he was blabbing on about consumers wanting value. The Vita sales are pathetic.

I don't know what Nintendo were thinking with the WiiU. There is little that seems appealing about it to me. Just seems late to the party and overpriced.

Hero

Those numbers for Vita went from one foot in the grave to just being on a deathbed. Still not relevant.

Do we have an estimate for LTD for Vita in the US?

test_account

XP-39C²
It seems that there will be another COD for Vita this year. COD:BO Declassified is all profit for Activision and it's selling decently.
Seems so indeed. I would be surprised if Declassified is over 250k+ sold now. Sure, many copies come from bundles, but it shows that there are interest for the game. I would love to see another COD Vita game, not just to play it, but to see what could be different from Declassified.

Yeah, no, it is. My mistake.

I thought it didn't because the Madden bundle didn't come with one.
Ah ok. The Madden bundle not coming with a memory card is a bit strange. But it was one of the first bundles, so i guess Sony thought the added game was value enough alone.

vhEF6.gif

Stop blaming marketing when something doesn't sell. Nintendo simply did not put out a product that people wanted to buy.

They should have been able to sell out two months of hardware by selling it to hardcore Nintendo fans alone. They failed to even do that, and these are people who buy second and third 3DS's just for limited colors and decals.

You... do realize that I was kind of just trying to be neutral in regards to the Wii U's hardware, there. I wasn't really seeking to delve into the Wii U's quality itself. I was merely trying to respond to the point that I don't understand how one can argue that Nintendo really put a lot of effort into making the Wii U's launch a stellar success.

Indeed it is (not like I need confirmation, I know exactly how they arrived at the 77 mill figure, idiots)

But for reference, PS3 is down in US alone 550k this Q. Japan is down around 260k?

Well X360 is even more down in US by absolute numbers so it's not like PS3 is the only one having declines.

I disagree....I think it's really just over.

It is, if Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty couldn't save it from a horrible holiday, what good is a pricecut going to do? And that's the biggest thing Sony has probably ever. Looking at these PS3 numbers Sony needs to scrap the Vita and go all in on PS4.

UberTag

So what's the bigger bomb this month, Wii U or Vita?
Given that there was no reason to expect it to perform better than it did, the Vita isn't your choice here.
The Wii U is the bigger bomb.

Unless you want to count software in which case you're probably talking Hitman: Absolution or one of the other November releases that have failed to chart.

Looking at these PS3 numbers Sony needs to scrap the Vita and go all in on PS4.
You're also the worst kind of Sony fan.

Bruno MB

Nintendo PR via eternalb: said:
With more than 460,000 units sold in December, Wii U has now sold nearly 890,000 units in the United States after only 41 days on the market, according to the NPD Group. To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.

“While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.”

Nintendo hired a Sony PR guy.

The Vita is pretty much done. Just look at the 2013 lineup at this point. They threw Madden, AC, and Call of Duty at it. Those are the top 3 multiplatform franchises of the generation yet failed to spark any interest.

What studio is going to allocate resources to make Vita games now? Outside of Niche titles from Atlus, Xseed, Gaijinworks, etc the outlook is dire.

Sony can't afford to take bigger losses on the hardware, nor can they really dedicate more developer resources to it with the PS4 looming in the background.

It's time to quietly put the thing to sleep. Let existing hardware inventory (which has to be sizable) dwindle, call it a day, and move on.

Wow those PS3 sales are really poor for a holiday period. I'm not surprised at all by the Vita's poor sales though- I never understood the logic of those who thought it would do well in the US. I can't comment on other markets but I just didn't see a great market for it here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That would be around a 30-35% decline year over year on PS3.

It's fairly poor, but if they can get the PS4 out in Q4 2013, at least they won't have to show up with extra horrid numbers.

If the prophecy of the Durango and Orbis coming out this November is true then the WiiU isn't going to have a great holiday season in 2013. The spotlight is going to be on the competitors.

Thoraxes

Haven't caught up on the thread yet, but doesn't creamsugar's post imply Vita is at 200-250K?

Somewhere between those two numbers if that other guy is too (greater than 125k at least), which is why I say near.

That would be around a 30-35% decline year over year on PS3.

It's fairly poor, but if they can get the PS4 out in Q4 2013, at least they won't have to show up with extra horrid numbers.

I still think they'll have low numbers regardless.

yurinka

Hmm, 250k would be quite a leap from the 125k+ that cream indicated, but cream has seemed reliable before.

I believe he's saying that saying Vita was 125k+ leaves too much room for misinterpretation, if 250k is close to the truth.
If I don't mistake, Cream said more than 125K, and 250K is more than 125K.
250M is also more than 125K xDD

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
what was sony thinking....halo 4 vs wonderbook, lbp karting and playstation all stars.....what a disaster

I wonder what sold most out of Forza Horizon, Dance Central 3, that Fable game, LBPK and Wonder Book.

Great year for first party game sales lol

The Wii U numbers can be better than PS3 and 360 launch and still be bad. Some people love to reject it, but context is key.

But frankly I don't think Nintendo is going to be alone in this. I think industry executives better be planning for lower sales trajectories in the next generation and start thinking about finding fertile ground on other platforms.

If the prophecy of the Durango and Orbis coming out this November is true then the WiiU isn't going to have a great holiday season in 2013. The spotlight is going to be on the competitors.

Nintendo basically needs to show everyhthing they have in development at this point, to try and take away the massive media coverage that will be going towards the other two.

Gorillaz

I'm honestly expecting all of them to do shitty at launch. It's a different environment then it was in 2005/6

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Vita is dead. Sony needs to discontinue it and move everything they've got towards PS4 development.

I'm sorry, Smoky. :(

To hell with that. They should cancel the PS4 and put all their money into the Vita.

The little thing's too great to die so young.

Mr Swine

Banned
okay, vita being above what it did in november isn't so bad then. 125k-200k would have been abysmal. 200k-250k is just plain bad, but there might be signs of life in the future at least.

Well it's Xmas so I expect vita sales to go below 100k next month. Also I don't think it's worth releasing another cod game if it only did sell 200k

TheNatural

My Member!
The Vita is pretty much done. Just look at the 2013 lineup at this point. They threw Madden, AC, and Call of Duty at it. Those are the top 3 multiplatform franchises of the generation yet failed to spark any interest.

What studio is going to allocate resources to make Vita games now? Outside of Niche titles from Atlus, Xseed, Gaijinworks, etc the outlook is dire.

Sony can't afford to take bigger losses on the hardware, nor can they really dedicate more developer resources to it with the PS4 looming in the background.

It's time to quietly put the thing to sleep. Let existing hardware inventory (which has to be sizable) dwindle, call it a day, and move on.

Maybe Vita and Wii U can get some support from those indie guys who still make Dreamcast games. That might double their third party support for 2013. :p

Sony should have introduced the 12GB to the US market to go head to head with the 4GB 360, since last holiday season that was Microsoft's single biggest selling SKU. I'm surprised SCEA's hardware marketing head, John Koller, still has a job given Sony are getting annihilated in the US. Instead of lowering the price of PS3 they made it more expensive and he was blabbing on about consumers wanting value. The Vita sales are pathetic.

I don't know what Nintendo were thinking with the WiiU. There is little that seems appealing about it to me. Just seems late to the party and overpriced.

good point, the leader ship at scea needs a shakeup before ps4

Top Bottom