• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

quest

Not Banned from OT
Now does Sony and MS feel less pressure from Nintendo to release new consoles this year? Do they see what a lack of content can do and not rush a launch because of the fear "first to 10MM wins" is less acute now?

I would say more pressure in a way. They can jump all over a weakened nintendo if they launch this fall. Maybe stop the Wii U dead in its tracks before it gets started.

If they don't launch this fall they are conceeding the gaming market to tablets and handhelds period.

nickcv

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Wow, after so much made since E3 2011 about not making the same mistakes of the 3DS with the Wii U, and here we are. Since E3 2011 we STILL really don't see much in the way of support known in the future since back then. And that's just fucking nuts.

Hard locks on the system, poor UI, long load times, no virtual console, no big launch games outside of Mario. Seriously, what the fuck has Nintendo been doing and why are they constantly so ill prepared? Fuck, the only console game NCL has made since Galaxy 2 has been Skyward Sword, it's not like Nintendo went out with anything close to resembling a bang with the Wii the past two years. Nintendo has become a sluggish relic with a slow output. It doesn't make sense.

i agree with pretty much everything you say, but not the poor UI.
they completely nailed that

Gorillaz

Sony will definitely try to use the ps4 as a way to bring back vita. Where will it be by then is unknown, but I can see some type of Wii U deal with the vita in the near future.

Mr Swine

Banned
Selling worse than the bombing 2006 PS3 the GAF I lurked back then seemed to revel in at almost $300 (half the price) has got to be a major wake up call for Nintendo and certain sects of these hallowed pages.

At least it's going to outsell Vita in a few months though... :/

ASIS

Well, they're still decent considering the initial sales for previous consoles.

The Wii U still has a lot of potential, but there are a lot of things that just don't make sense. The future is neither bleak nor bright, its completely unknown. This really surprises me because the glimpses we have seen show amazing games on the horizon, but why not show more? Why does it feel like Nintendo is still holding back 2 months after release? Why is there STILL confusion between the Wii and the Wii U?

The entire system is underwhelming at this point and the sales reflect that, even if the launch games are truly great (NSMBU and NintendoLand).

From what I can tell, the PS3 rules house in Europe, so Sony doesn't want to do anything with respect to worldwide pricing because of that. I do agree, however, that the mindshare Sony commands in the US currently is really low.

Also, this is the December NPD. From the data presented here you should be able to deduce that neither Move nor Kinect are market factors in any way fashion.

I must be confused about something then. Why does the 360 do so well? I thought it was because of the kinect thing. They're taking all these consumers away from Sony somehow.

Is it due to the price difference between it and the PS3?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Based on the information we have currently here are my estimates:

DS - 1,952,688
360 - 5,316,000
PS3 - 3,405,000
Wii - 1,955,000
3DS - 3,648,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

LTD
DS - 53,097,689
360 - 37,980,373
PS3 - 23,381,921
Wii - 40,639,494
3DS - 7,714,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

Vita doesn't look so bad with how much the 3DS under performed last year.

nickcv

"slightly dissapointing" is the correct term for Wii U. Not straight out bad numbers, but underwhelming. I wonder what titles like Wii Fit and Watio will do.

Vita is in really bad shape, but will probably pick up next year. (it can't go down any further).

3DS doing good, but not great yet. It will never reach DS numbers, but I think from here on out it will perform well in a smartphone, tablet heavy market. It goes against the gut feeling of a lot of gaffers about smartphones taking over the gaming scene, which is great.

PS3 on its way out, but has some decent exclusives left so who knows.

360 Kinect has made a big impact. Great work Microsoft. They have learned a lot from the original Xbox and MS is becoming a big enternainment brand in the US.

don't challenge the Vita... we did in every Media Create thread, and out of spite it has always proved us wrong!

I just want to put this out there for discussion:

No portable or console has had a successful US launch since the iphone launched, and brought with smartphones and tablets.

gaming sales were down 22% this xmas, but ios/android device activations were up 250% this Xmas over last year. The iPad alone will sell three times many units as all videogame systems COMBINED.

Is it just that the devices launched here: Vita, 3DS, Wii U are not that exciting, or has a substantial portion of the market moved onto to other entertainment devices?

UberTag

Sony will definitely try to use the ps4 as a way to bring back vita. Where will it be by then is unknown, but I can see some type of Wii U deal with the vita in the near future.
The Vita is going to be leveraged as a PS4 controller in order to ensure tablet-interface compatibility with homegrown Japanese WiiU titles.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Wii U still has a lot of potential, but there are a lot of things that just don't make sense. The future is neither bleak nor bright, its completely unknown. This really surprises me because the glimpses we have seen show amazing games on the horizon, but why not show more? Why does it feel like Nintendo is still holding back 2 months after release? Why is there STILL confusion between the Wii and the Wii U?

The entire system is underwhelming at this point and the sales reflect that, even if the launch games are truly great (NSMBU and NintendoLand).

Now that I agree with.

Yeesh. Those Wii U hardware numbers are crap.

Nintendo should -

- cut out the basic bundle
- drop the premium bundle to 299
- bundle in New Super Mario Bros U
- get Mario Kart U ready for launch in 2013
- hold a conference showing off Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy 3, Smash Bros. 4, Kid Icarus, Bayonetta 2, ETC. WHATEVER JEEZ JUST SHOW SOME GAMES

It is almost funny everyone but MS screwed up this holiday season. Sony and its freaking 50 dollar price increase on a downgraded model. Nintendo and naming its console like an accessory. The non existant advertising of the new system. The kinect launch got more ad support for gods sake. Final note to Sony drop the damn price of the Vita so it don't die. I love that little machine.
3DS seems to be looking pretty good to me

Miles X

Based on the information we have currently here are my estimates:

DS - 1,952,688
360 - 5,316,000
PS3 - 3,405,000
Wii - 1,955,000
3DS - 3,648,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

LTD
DS - 53,097,689
360 - 37,980,373
PS3 - 23,381,921
Wii - 40,639,494
3DS - 7,714,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

Vita doesn't look so bad with how much the 3DS under performed last year.

Nice work man, looks similar to what I have.

Not sure why Ninty are claiming 40.8m, they're adding 100k on somewhere. (then again they've got it majorly wrong in their press release before anyway, I remember when they said they hit 39 mill last Nov but it was actually middle of Dec they hit it.)

nickcv

Nintendo should -

- hold a conference showing off Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy 3, Smash Bros. 4, Kid Icarus, Bayonetta 2, ETC. JEEZ JUST SHOW SOME GAMES

the two bolded ones together would be a financial suicide, and i don't think the situation is so dire for them to force them to do it

ksamedi

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Wow, after so much made since E3 2011 about not making the same mistakes of the 3DS with the Wii U, and here we are. Since E3 2011 we STILL really don't see much in the way of support known in the future since back then. And that's just fucking nuts.

Hard locks on the system, poor UI, long load times, no virtual console, no big launch games outside of Mario. Seriously, what the fuck has Nintendo been doing and why are they constantly so ill prepared? Fuck, the only console game NCL has made since Galaxy 2 has been Skyward Sword, it's not like Nintendo went out with anything close to resembling a bang with the Wii the past two years. Nintendo has become a sluggish relic with a slow output. It doesn't make sense.

I think they did learn.

- 3DS was way overpriced, they wanted to make a profit from each unit, but the strategy failed. Wii U is taking a loss so the price is good.

- Nintendo relied too much on third parties at the 3DS launch and that failed. Wii U has good launch games from Nintendo (Nintendo Land is great, and Mario is a big brand).

- 3DS launched without a digital shop, Wii U has Miiverse and Eshop at launch and has some good apps coming soon (Google maps, panorama view).

- 3DS had a big drought after release, Wii U seems to have atleast some good Nintendo games coming for Q1 and 2 (Wii Fit is a big brand, Pikmin is a Nintendo fan favorite, Wario Ware is a mid tier to big brand, new IP Wonderfull 101). The only thing missing here, like the 3DS launch window, is decent future third party support. ZombiU is still a big improvement over any third party 3DS launch window games.

I just want to put this out there for discussion:

No portable or console has had a successful US launch since the iphone launched, and brought with smartphones and tablets.

gaming sales were down 22% this xmas, but ios/android device activations were up 250% this Xmas over last year.

Is it just that the devices launched here: Vita, 3DS, Wii U are not that exciting, or has a substantial portion of the market moved onto to other entertainment devices?

I think they're both good devices. I really do feel a significant portion of the market has just moved on to phones and tablets.

Why necessarily so? What if there's a $200 price point with two of Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart U and Zelda released, next to the$400+ next gen consoles? You simply can't say definitively that it can't be a great 2013 holiday season.

Doubt there is going to be a mainline Zelda out given that one just came out and they take about 4-5 years to make. At best a 3D Mario will hit as Galaxy 2 was a while ago.

Software talk is speculation though. For all we know Gears of War: The Pendulum Wars and Halo 2 Anniversary but not really will be released on Xbox with Uncharted 4 Corners of the Earth on PS4. On a purely hardware interest level the media is going to be all over the new consoles.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Nintendo should -

- hold a conference showing off Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy 3, Smash Bros. 4, Kid Icarus, Bayonetta 2, ETC. WHATEVER JEEZ JUST SHOW SOME GAMES

You forgot firing the marketing team and renaming it to the WII 2 or Super Wii. Something that does not sound like an accesorry and confuse people.

Coolwhip

Banned

I think some people underestimate how ginormous a console launch is. And Nintendo isn't as big as Sony or MS nor can it rely on 3rd party games. Nintendo should know this by now though and should have used that Wii money to expand even more.

SmokyDave

He essentially called you a dick, and you gave him a "cheers". Another reason to love the Brits.
Probably his favourite dick though. I've been pretty mean to guek in the past so it means a lot.

But Smoky is his favorite dick.
'Probably'. Let's not get carried away.

Yeah, I disagree with you a lot, but I find you very cool in OT.
High 5!

I need to hit up these NPD threads more often. Good for the ego!

donny2112

PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

Sorry, the correct percentage should be: cod+ac3+madden13 ~ 85% PSV

Great!

Okay, unless something else comes up while finishing catching up with the thread, looks like we're going with the below for predictions. :)

360 - 1400K
3DS - 1250K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
WIU - 460K
PSV - 225K

Miles X

Great!

Okay, unless something else comes up while finishing catching up with the thread, looks like we're going with the below for predictions. :)

360 - 1400K
3DS - 1250K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
WIU - 460K
PSV - 225K

PS3 is gonna kill me :(

Also

360 - 5,316,000
PS3 & Wii - 5,410,000

360 practically had 50% market share for the overall year.

TheNatural

My Member!
Clearly they've caught whatever disease has infected Square Enix, Team ICO and Polyphony Digital the past several years.

Thank goodness they've still got Intelligent Systems, Game Freak, Monolithsoft and EAD Tokyo holding the fort on the software front.

I remember Gamecube's launch in 2001, within a month had Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, Super Smash Bros, and Pikmin. They actually got Paper Mario out to close out the N64 earlier in the year, with Majora's Mask the previous holiday. Then I believe Mario Sunshine came right after in 2002. Not that the Gamecube was some stunning success, but what Nintendo USED to be with output and what they are NOW just hurts my mind. They haven't put together the same console output in the past two and a half years as they did in the first fucking two months of the Gamecube's life!

I've watched the past two E3's and kept thinking to myself "OK, Nintendo has had to been working on something, I mean they has to be something big right?" and it just kind of passes with a whimper.

Seriously, it wouldn't shock me if this year ended with no Smash, 3D Mario, or Zelda for Wii U. Maybe they'll hammer out another Mario Kart and that'll be it, it just boggles the mind how slow they've become.

Numbers are really bad overall. The gaming market in the US is at bust right now, it needs new consoles ASAP.

Wii U is in trouble. I bought mine and I feel satisfied with it as a browsing / netflix / amazon machine that my wife can feel pretty confident in using, but I hope there are some games for it next year.

Also, the 3DS should have a better December next year, with Pokemon coming out in October.

Nintendo just hasn't been able to have a huge hit in the U.S this year IMO. Animal Crossing revitalized the 3DS in Japan big time, but they just haven't had a chance to make a game that just keeps selling and selling like they did with the Wii and DS stateside.

ASIS

You forgot firing the marketing team and renaming it to the WII 2 or Super Wii. Something that does not sound like an accesorry and confuse people.

I think the logo has more to do with that than the name. cutting and pasting the same font, same color, and then adding a simple "U" in a similar shade of blue really sends the wrong idea, same with the 3DS.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Probably his favourite dick though. I've been pretty mean to guek in the past so it means a lot.

'Probably'. Let's not get carried away.

High 5!

I need to hit up these NPD threads more often. Good for the ego!

We should start up our own very skewed news site in kind: Not Enough Vitas (Sold).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Nice work man, looks similar to what I have.

Not sure why Ninty are claiming 40.8m, they're adding 100k on somewhere. (then again they've got it majorly wrong in their press release before anyway, I remember when they said they hit 39 mill last Nov but it was actually middle of Dec they hit it.)
Where did they say that? I do modify my estimates based on press releases, like when they claimed the DS hit 50 million. I added some more units to make it 50,000,001.

I think some people underestimate how ginormous a console launch is. And Nintendo isn't as big as Sony or MS nor can it rely on 3rd party games. Nintendo should know this by now though and should have used that Wii money to expand even more.

I don't think anybody underestimates how "ginormous" a console launch is. However, I think people expect a company that has launched 5 previous mass market consoles and 5 handheld systems over the course of three decades to know how to be prepared.

Kusagari

I really hope you're not suggesting renaming something already released.

That would be the dumbest move on the planet.

Then supply or something will probably be blamed. Tbh the 360 selling like hotcakes has a lot to do with the price, ps720 wont have that advantage.

Th 360 is selling because of the price, the software library/support. It also helps that unlike the Wii, MS future proofed their console so it doesn't look like shit on TV's in 2012.

Nintendo obviously has a vision for the Wii U, but I am increasingly unsure if it will resonate with the consumers. We shall see.

Numbers are really bad overall. The gaming market in the US is at bust right now, it needs new consoles ASAP.

Wii U is in trouble. I bought mine and I feel satisfied with it as a browsing / netflix / amazon machine that my wife can feel pretty confident in using, but I hope there are some games for it next year.

Also, the 3DS should have a better December next year, with Pokemon coming out in October.

Nintendo just hasn't been able to have a huge hit in the U.S this year IMO. Animal Crossing revitalized the 3DS in Japan big time, but they just haven't had a chance to make a game that just keeps selling and selling like they did with the Wii and DS stateside.

2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Nintendogs don't count as chances?

Top Bottom