• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

So, tell me, what else there is to consider?

There were still consoles available for Wii U, unlike most of the systems to which it is being compared. You might not be a subscriber to the theory that consoles in their launch periods should sell out of whatever amount of systems they ship, particularly when that launch period coincides with the holidays, but I am and I believe many others are, as well. The Wii U number, in light of the season, its predecessor, and the available units, is underwhelming.

Looks like you were right.

Didn't happen by the end of 2012 like you initially expected, but it will happen long before Durango launches.

i expected before end of 2012? dont recall that.

dont see 360 making up 2.7m before a likely durango launch in nov 2013 either (since we will have 10 slow months where 360 might gain an average of 200k/month on wii). but it should at some point thereafter (360 wont simply stop selling after durango comes out)

Durante

Great!

Okay, unless something else comes up while finishing catching up with the thread, looks like we're going with the below for predictions. :)

360 - 1400K
3DS - 1250K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
WIU - 460K
PSV - 225K
That really is pretty shitty for everything that isn't 360 (which can be excused for going down a bit in year 8). Sony can't expect to ride out this year in the US on PS3. And Wii U is almost in danger of getting Dreamcasted outside Japan.

nickcv

Yeah that would just create mass confusion as the people who bought Wii Us wonder what the hell their console is lol

i know you are being sarcastic metal =P but a rebranding would cost way too much, and would make all the HW partners really upset.

they have the words "Wii U" printed on all the accessories boxes.

rebranding sounds like a nice solution to the problem, but anyone with some understanding of economics would tell you that it's a dumb move.

the sale spike they could get out of it wouldn't counter balance the huge costs that rebranding involves plus the damaged relationships with Nyko and several other HW partners

Darryl

Banned
Is it just that the devices launched here: Vita, 3DS, Wii U are not that exciting, or has a substantial portion of the market moved onto to other entertainment devices?

I don't think anyone has "moved on", I think the other devices just take priority on peoples technology budgets and they're quite expensive. I can't imagine this is going to continue forever, especially since we're going to be getting $99 completely viable tablets soon enough.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm really confused. WiiU had a better launch than PS3 or 360 and yet it was a bad launch?

Well the 360 was sold out for months on end around the launch so we don't know true demand. It also was the follow up to a last place console. The PS3 was twice the cost yes twice the cost.

The Wii U launch is a disaster no matter how you frame it. With all that supply they should of been able to sell a million this holiday season. It got outsold by the PS3 that a god damn price increase and down graded model. The Wii U was only 50 dollars more than the PS3 this december for gods sake.

RedSwirl

First of all, what were expectations for December Wii U sales? I honestly don't know, so I don't know the gauge by which these numbers are a "disaster," other than the PS3 comparison.

But on that, the main reason I think is because whatever there was that got out the word of mouth about the Wii, just isn't there with the Wii U. Too many people still don't know what the damn thing is. I don't know if it was Wii Sports or the Wii's advertising, has anyone actually looked that up? Whatever it is, Nintendo's number one problem right now is awareness.

As for "killer-apps," New Super Mario Bros. U was supposed to be that game. Maybe along with NintendoLand but that game (as great as it might be) simply doesn't show as well. Could it really have been fatigue from the mass audience with NSMB? I guess if it didn't actually do enough to differentiate itself from the first two games (I've still only played the original on DS).

Heading forward, Wii Fit U is still officially slated for quarter 1 2013, so that's what I imagine Nintendo should start building hype for next. The question is, again, how. Nintendo does have the hit IPs waiting in the wings so the Wii U definitely isn't out of trump cards.

Do you think the changing market really has taken away the potential for games like Wii Fit and Mario Kart? I've always believed that mobile and tablet gaming didn't really intrude on the living room, especially not the living room family experience which Nintendo hones in on, but perhaps so...

...probably still just a problem of awareness. I dunno man a superbowl ad or something maybe.

Anth0ny

PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

Sorry, the correct percentage should be: cod+ac3+madden13 ~ 85% PSV

isp7ehtccntgm25uiu.gif

vita deeeeeeeeead

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Actually, at 3.5 million shipped for launch and $200 million in revenue in EA's following report, it'd definitely suggest it made it in the 4-5+ million range worldwide.

FIFA must actually be quite a high low bar.

Surely FIFA charting 3rd (> 295k and < 1.5m), 7th (>300k, < 460k), 10th (>243k, <500k) and 10th (<1m) can't be that high.

Those ranges are just based on games we did get numbers for.

It performed worst its second year than its first. The only other major system to do that in the past decade is the PSP and the difference for that was ~600k, not ~1.6 mi.

Yeah. It's doing well in Japan. But Stateside? It seems to be doing all right at best. And the holiday numbers don't suggest anything terribly great going forward.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well, did the low Gamecube sales do any good for the owners?

Yes, Nintendo made more games I cared about instead of overly simplistic short games focused on a single type of novelty controller.

I wonder what this thread will be like when the Playstaion 4 and Xbox 3 also inevitably does sub-500k first month?

they will be supply constrained. thats the thing some people conveniently ignore about wii u sales. it was almost never supply constrained.

i'd bet money you wont be able to find a durango on store shelves in 2013. as any half decent console launch should be. it will be powerful and people will be excited about it.

donny2112

A 1+ million NPD opening is usually a path to 4+ million sales LTD.

There are a few exceptions, but not that many.

Is that a worldwide LTD number? If not, there have been plenty of games with > 1m first month with < 4M LTD in the U.S. This gen, especially, has been more front-loaded than previous gens.

Why are we even talking about PS4/Durango underperforming at this point? We literally know 0 about them or their software lineups to make any definitive statements or even guesses.

Only one of them did.

Yeah I specifically remember in 2006 thinking the PS3 was going to sell out (knew nothing of how video game sales worked) and being surprised there were so many everywhere.

DEADEVIL

Another enormous holiday for Microsoft and the 360.

Its crazy to believe that the 360 has one E3 for the last 2 years straight.

What will be the question to ask is that now that the holiday season is over and plenty of Wii-Us will be on the shelves, will the Wii-U take over US sales at any point in 2013.

If not the 360 could go onto win NPD for a total of 3 years running.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that a worldwide LTD number? If not, there have been plenty of games with > 1m first month with < 4M LTD in the U.S. This gen, especially, has been more front-loaded than previous gens.

Worldwide shipments based on financial reports, definitely not NPD.

I just want to put this out there for discussion:

No portable or console has had a successful US launch since the iphone launched, and brought with smartphones and tablets.

gaming sales were down 22% this xmas, but ios/android device activations were up 250% this Xmas over last year. The iPad alone will sell three times many units as all videogame systems COMBINED.

Is it just that the devices launched here: Vita, 3DS, Wii U are not that exciting, or has a substantial portion of the market moved onto to other entertainment devices?

No one here wants to talk about how mobile gaming is making a difference in how games and hardware are selling.

BriBri

Yeah. It's doing well in Japan. But Stateside? It seems to be doing all right at best. And the holiday numbers don't suggest anything terribly great going forward.
The numbers may not but the line up does. This year was pathetic (Paper Mario), next year (holiday) has Pokémon with Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion etc in-between.

Elios83

360 did really well, 3DS also had good results (I did expect less than a million).
The rest goes from disappointing (PS3) to tragic ( Wii U and Vita).
Now seriously, the Wii U did worse than PS3 in December 2006 and considering how sales in Japan are dropping I wouldn't be surprised if the system started selling below 150k as soon as January. Nintendo should be already planning actions, their product at this point has little appeal to both core gamers and casuals and later this year they won't get any kind of mindshare with other console manufacturers announcing more advanced systems which will probably mean more bad press for them.
Also it seems like the Black Friday week with its bundles and deals is becoming much more relevant and important for the overall holiday season sales than in the past. December sales being flat or down compared to November is something that was unthinkable a few years ago.

Durante

Why are we even talking about PS4/Durango underperforming at this point? We literally know 0 about them or their software lineups to make any definitive statements or even guesses.
I think for some people the entire video game console market crashing is a preferable thought to just Wii U not performing well.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Unless something changes by the end of this year the DS and 3DS will be neck-and-neck for sales by months released. DS had momentum in it's third year, 3DS is declining.

Darryl

Banned

so you'd rather a conversation dominated only with how much they're going to overperform? why limit this to just underperforming?

tim.mbp

Well the 360 was sold out for months on end around the launch so we don't know true demand. It also was the follow up to a last place console. The PS3 was twice the cost yes twice the cost.

The Wii U launch is a disaster no matter how you frame it. With all that supply they should of been able to sell a million this holiday season. It got outsold by the PS3 that a god damn price increase and down graded model. The Wii U was only 50 dollars more than the PS3 this december for gods sake.

PS3 had a ton of bundles this year. Pretty much every store, Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, had an exclusive Holiday bundle. Most we're 2 games plus PS+ or Move and 1 game for $299.

Top Bottom