• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Where's Vita?
tumblr_me4y5pDTSn1rm5m5io1_400.jpg

PS3 sales a bit disappointing, though lack of price drop and software pushing exclusives hurt them quite a bit. Even still, the gap in the US in terms of total quantity between PS3 and 360 is virtually unchanged from last year.

Wii U sales are disastrous though. Nintendo used to push MILLIONS of consoles in December. I remember those crazy NPDs clearly, and the Wii's first December isn't a very comparable number because they sold everything that made it to store shelves. It would have sold gangbusters if it were more readily available in December 2006. Wii U is going to fall off a cliff in early 2013, we will probably see a return of 100K or sub-100K months for a new console entrant. Something tells me Nintendo is going to have a MUCH more difficult time turning around the Wii U business than Sony did with the PS3 (or Nintendo did for the 3DS for that matter, but even it isn't doing so hot).

360 sales remain pretty strong, although they're also down year over year. HD twins are well past their peak, so it's definitely time for new consoles. Sony in particular needs to get theirs out this fall.

heres 2006 top december top 10

Madden NFL 07, EA—1.9 million
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo--1.5 million
Call of Duty 3, Activision—1.1 million
Cars, THQ—874K
Need for Speed Carbon, EA—871.6K
Gears of War, Microsoft—815.7K
Guitar Hero II, Activision—805.2K
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, LucasArts—792.3K
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, THQ—731.6K
Tony Hawk’s Project 8, Activision—713.9K

From creamsuger we know that number 6 on this years december npd (Far Cry 3) is greater than 1 million so I am going to assume it probably is, at the very least the top of the charts are.
Farcry 3 includes PC numbers, which I imagine is significant. 2006 numbers do not.

December 2005 v. 2012

PS2: 1.5M
GCN - 470K; EDIT: I saw in the thread another figure for the GCN of 470K; edited to reflect that.
XBX - 415K
6th Gen systems subtotal: 2.38M
X360 - 281K (supply constraints)
Home consoles: 2.66M

GBA/GBM - 1.2M
PSP - 1.12M
NDS - 1.07M
Handhelds: 3.39M

X360 - 1400K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
7th Gen systems subtotal: 2.5M
WIU - 460K
Home consoles: 2.96M

3DS - 1250K
NDS - 470K
PSV - 225K
PSP - ? (essentially negligible)
Handhelds: 1.97M

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Well, FIFA did 353K in one day in its U.S. launch, so let's take the possible range.

Low End: 353 + 300 + 243 + 337 = 1.23 million
High End: 1500 + 460 + 500 + 1000 = 3.46 million

ME3's first month was 1.3 million including PC.

I guess the low end is 1.45m since NSMB2 didn't make the top 10.

Looking at the games above FIFA doesn't give me any help in lowering that high end figure. Since we have nothing on Lego Batman or MW3.
Although Borderlands finished above FIFA for the year and only charted above it in September. So I doubt it was near that 1.5m high for Sept (which was already obvious).

Duxxy3

I'm basing it off of MS unbelievable popularity in the U.S. And the Wii U's lack of one. Which leaves PS4 comfortably in the middle.

I really don't see anything changing next gen.

People expected the same thing of the PS3 because of the PS2's dominance in the previous generation.

antonz

The only real things we know for sure was that Gen 7 was a very strange one where Multi Console ownership reached levels never seen prior.

The Wii performed so insane that for a time while the industry gloated over record years 99% of it was all Nintendo doing with the industry in fact being stagnant to even declining.

What Happens in Gen 8 is totally up in the air. So many variables can impact what happens going forward.

The 360 has almost caught up to the Wii in sales, and should pass it by the time the 720 hits shelves.

While they will get to pat themselves on the back for catching up in sales its not having near the impact on the industry that the Wii was. 360 in the lead is happening during years after year of decline while the Wiis dominance was year after year of growth for the industry.

BriBri

I'm basing it off of MS unbelievable popularity in the U.S. And the Wii U's lack of one. Which leaves PS4 comfortably in the middle.

How many gens have had the same outcome? NES and barely SNES (or did Genesis sell more in US?), PS & PS2? That's probably it unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

And how many gens have had to compete with the emergence of tablets?

2005 v. 2012

GCN - 606K
XBX - 415K
6th Gen systems subtotal: 2.52M
Home consoles: 2.80M

GBA/GBM - 1.2M
PSP - 1.12M
NDS - 1.07M

X360 - 1400K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
WIU - 460K

3DS - 1250K
NDS - 470K
PSV - 225K
Nice stats!

Phones definitely eating into handheld.

ASIS

December 2005 v. 2012

GCN - 606K
XBX - 415K
6th Gen systems subtotal: 2.52M
Home consoles: 2.80M

GBA/GBM - 1.2M
PSP - 1.12M
NDS - 1.07M

X360 - 1400K
PS3 - 625K
WII - 475K
WIU - 460K

3DS - 1250K
NDS - 470K
PSV - 225K
PSP - ? (essentially negligible)
I see what you did there.

big youth

claims of artificial shortages make me laugh. These aren't ipads, where selling hardware is the end goal. Nintendo wants as many Wii U's in circulation so they can sell as much software as possible. Software is where money is made. It doesn't stop with Mario and Nintendo Land, Nintendo also wants 3rd party devs to have success on their platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess the low end is 1.45m since NSMB2 didn't make the top 10.

Looking at the games above FIFA doesn't give me any help in lowering that high end figure. Since we have nothing on Lego Batman or MW3. Although Boarderlands finished above FIFA for the year and only charted above it in September. So I doubt it was near that 1.5m high for Sept.

I'm not saying the game had amazing legs, but I'm fairly certain it could have sold 300K over the proceeding months since launch and still miss this chart, given that I doubt FIFA's day one sales are its month one sales in September.

Cipherr

I'm having trouble rationalizing the "OMG its dead" talk from the 3DS doing 1.25 million in December. I understand that its selling less than the most popular and highest selling dedicated console of all time (its predecessor). But there is quite the large ass gap in between the Best of all time, and Dead as a doorknob.

WiiU is bricking, and its lifespan is likely at risk. I would not say the same for the 3DS.

DR2K

Banned

Depends, console makers usually get cocky around their 3rd major console and falter big time. N64 and PS3 say hi.

So like someone earlier said, if Nintendo had shipped only 600k for the holidays (Nov + Dec) then they'd be doing okay because those sales would have been supply constrained?

Well, you need more than just that. In this theoretical, what's it going for in the resale market? How quickly are shipments selling out. If its clear that suppl is holding it back, I'd day 600k is all right for a launch. However, given that it barely outsold November's numbers given no lack of supply, I think that suggests problems.

I'm sure you understand this, though, and are just throwing out talking points.

How many gens have had the same outcome? NES and barely SNES (or did Genesis sell more in US?), PS & PS2? That's probably it unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

And how many gens have had to compete with the emergence of tablets?

This and phones these days might be the reason all sales are down, and why people should get their predictions for the next xbox and PS4 launch figures in line, instead of thinking with GAF mentality, that "gamers" are really ready for next gen.

Nintendo stock price during shortage: $76 a share
Nintendo stock price now: $12 a share.

You tell me.
All that tells me is that investor confidence in Nintendo was higher than it is now (of which, there are a lot of extenuating factors that could be affecting the stock price). It says nothing about whether or not having limited stock of their product generated more sales of said product in the end.

Miles X

If the 3 consoles experience similar percentage drops this year 2013 would look like this.

X360 - 4.18m (27%)
Wii - 858k (56%)
PS3 - 2.55m (25%)

X360 LTD - 42.2m~
Wii LTD - 41.6m~
PS3 LTD - 25.90~

The 3DS is in kind of weird position. Calling it dead is hilarious by any stretch of the imagination. At the same time, Nintendo knows its struggling and the worldwide release of pokemon confirms nintendo is in high gear for the 3DS.

If you start comparing Japan you could make the argument that handhelds are dying despite the fact that the 3DS is a freaking beast over there because PSP sold so well and Vita is dead.

Amir0x

Banned
I had a long response typed out dissecting your post sentence by sentence explaining why I think what you had to say was ridiculous.

But then I decided that it's really not worth it. All that matters, is that 3DS is now being sold at a profit, and Wii U is being sold at a profit with software attach rates. I predict that they will make a return to profitability this fiscal year and continue on their path...despite the consistent and gleeful doom mongering.

It's not "doom mongering", it's simply the appropriate realization that if the Wii U continues selling like this, nobody will support it and Nintendo will have to wake up. You're shielding yourself behind the idea of profit as if that really changes anything in my scenario. Gamecube was profitable too, but the reason it was a great system is because Nintendo developed games as if they were behind and they came up with some of their best ideas that weren't also tied to some gimmick, and the lasting impact was a generation that was easily one of Nintendo's best. Yet few people would call the Gamecube a successful system in terms of its performance; it's part of what prompted Nintendo to change course.

They sold a trillion units of Wii, and that's "successful", and as far as I'm concerned it was completely the wrong direction I want out of Nintendo as a gamer and it had the least games of any successful console that were interesting. I only care about games, I don't give half a shit about sales, so you won't find me caring whether or not they are not in the red - you'll only find me caring what the poor performance will do for Nintendo as a company who develops games. And for me, when Nintendo is behind is when they do their best work. That is why I hope that occurs, because I feel like Nintendo will begin to focus on the people who put them their in the first place.

While they will get to pat themselves on the back for catching up in sales its not having near the impact on the industry that the Wii was. 360 in the lead is happening during years after year of decline while the Wiis dominance was year after year of growth for the industry.
Seemingly fleeting, transient and unsustainable growth. Because the market that made the Wii and DS a phenomenon presumably found something else to spend their money on instead (iDevices, Android, tablets, Facebook games).

The 3DS is in kind of weird position. Calling it dead is hilarious by any stretch of the imagination. At the same time, Nintendo knows its struggling and the worldwide release of pokemon confirms nintendo is in high gear for the 3DS.

It's going to be interesting to see if Animal Crossing 3DS does well. Those type of gamers probably moved onto to phone and Facebook stuff, but with the giant sales in Japan, I wouldn't count it out.

big youth

All that tells me is that investor confidence in Nintendo was higher than it is now (of which, there are a lot of extenuating factors that could be affecting the stock price). It says nothing about whether or not having limited stock of their product generated more sales of said product in the end.

well said. the stock market is very flukey and trendy.

Kangi

I saw them. They're smaller than the numbers from last year. You think that's a sign of health?

For a console that had next to nothing for the holiday season, you think it's bad?

Only reason the handheld market is down in the west is because there's bloody nothing competing with the 3DS. And I wouldn't call it the market's fault that Vita bombed, honestly.

Top Bottom