• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Yagharek

Is there any year to compare 2012 with as far as percentage drops YoY (on a monthly basis)?

I expect being the tail end of a console gen, it would have as much in common with 2004/05 moreso than any other period. But it's worrying to see consistent double-digit percentage drops on last year even in December.

Everything seems flat/stale. 360 is doing well for an old system, long tail there. 3DS is doing modestly well, I suppose. But other than that I dont see any shining lights in the US market for a long time.

Halo... isn't quite the franchise it used to be. Wonder where they go from here.

How much did it sell exactly? I got outsold by the combined SKU's of just dance and COD but that relly tells us nothing. Halo 4 will probably end up being the second best selling halo of all time. It doesn't have the same influence it used to but it's still a very big franchise.

Is there any year to compare 2012 with as far as percentage drops YoY (on a monthly basis)?

I expect being the tail end of a console gen, it would have as much in common with 2004/05 moreso than any other period. But it's worrying to see consistent double-digit percentage drops on last year even in December.

Everything seems flat/stale. 360 is doing well for an old system, long tail there. 3DS is doing modestly well, I suppose. But other than that I dont see any shining lights in the US market for a long time.

I think the 3DS can carve out a healthy (but not DS level) of success by continuing to drive the hardware price down and focus on innovative and unique software. I think it is time for Nintendo to include a digital pack in game on every 3DS. They could even make it a voucher for any first party title.

VICI0US

angry birds port as the peak of 3DS third party performance and that god awful excuse for a CoD game outselling everything on the vita is pretty sad business.

UberTag

Given the fact we are cheering Nintendo failing on the Wii U, it clearly shows that they really have gone out of their way to abandon and piss-off the core gamer.
Given the sorry state of third-party efforts on 3DS and the wasteland that is the WiiU, I'd have to say that aside from the Wii still being a Just Dance machine Nintendo's prospects of salvaging Western third-party support is practically irreparable.

And with most of Japanese-developed titles going 3DS only, we'll continue to see very few localizations for 3DS-exclusive titles barring low-budget efforts of ultra-fringe titles courtesy of Atlus, NIS and XSEED.

I take back what I said earlier... Iwata DOES need to be fired.

I guess that's why localizatons have been so slow and nonexistant. The prospects right now for the future of handheld localization is not great. Also I guess we know why Japanese 3rd parties are scared to put games on 3DS. If the series isn't Japanese centric, it could probably be better served somewhere else.

You asked if their systems sold third party software. I showed you that it did. That would explain why third parties continue to support Sony hardware even when it lags behind the competition in sales.

No his point was using Vita to show that just because a Sony system is having terrible 3rd party sales doesn't mean all Sony platforms have terrible 3rd party sales. The same way the 3DS can't be used to show that "Of course 3rd party game sales are bad".

All that is really needed is enough sales to turn a profit on a localization when it comes to the US. If they sell well in Japan, then if they can get a profit on distribution, they'll be alright.

Hell not even that. Hire a cheap ass indie/hobbiest team to do a localization like so many have done for homebrew and just stick on Nintendo's eShop. Easiest free money ever. Things have changed, more Japanese companies, including Nintendo, need to start thinking out of the box on how to handle releasing them in the US.

Marketing and distribution can be very costly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All that is really needed is enough sales to turn a profit on a localization when it comes to the US. If they sell well in Japan, then if they can get a profit on distribution, they'll be alright.

Hell not even that. Hire a cheap ass indie/hobbiest team to do a localization like so many have done for homebrew and just stick on Nintendo's eShop. Easiest free money ever. Things have changed, more Japanese companies, including Nintendo, need to start thinking out of the box on how to handle releasing them in the US.

Honestly this is the biggest thing killing Western localizations.

Even if it's a profit, it can still not be worth it.

antonz

angry birds port as the peak of 3DS third party performance and that god awful excuse for a CoD game outselling everything on the vita is pretty sad business.

If anything shows 3DS has a relatively casual userbase in the US for now. Sadly what appeals to casuals has just shifted so much. Once you get the pokefreaks etc in you can probably start to see a shift

Penguin

You asked if their systems sold third party software. I showed you that it did. That would explain why third parties continue to support Sony hardware even when it lags behind the competition in sales.

I get the comparison, but isn't it kind of a false equivalency without actual numbers

Like even if 3rd parties don't account for 19 of the top 20 on the DS.. perhaps the first 11 3rd party titles sold better than the 11 of 17 on the PSP?

If that makes sense.. just because one is lopsided at the top.. doesn't mean the tops are equal in terms of pure volume.

UberTag

Vita SW LTD
Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all.
It's too bad we can't get a truly clear picture on overall software performance for the Vita without digital numbers.
This is significant given that the Vita is the one system where every single title available can be purchased digitally.

Nilaul

Well Nintendo.. time to pull that plug on the old DS and boost your 3DS sale?

The 3DS sales are terrific btw.

Perhaps do the same with Wii.

I wonder if Atlus is considering a PS3 port of Golden...I wouldn't be opposed.

It's too bad we can't get a truly clear picture on overall software performance for the Vita without digital numbers.
This is significant given that the Vita is the one system where every single title available can be purchased digitally.

Wouldn't be much different unless digital sales are massive right now.

All it took was the underwhelming second month of a new Nintendo platform.

Good news is? We're going to be seeing a lot of underwhelming months for this new Nintendo platform.

Don't worry, that Thunder Monkey Wii-U announcement at the Feb. ND should spice things up

Sticking Wii-U Gamepads in you butt has never been more fun

MisterNoisy

I find myself curious as to how digital sales have been on the PSV too, since you ultimately pay a fair bit more that way once you factor in overpriced storage media.

Sakura

Again, 19 of the top 20 DS games were published by Nintendo.

Just because most of the top 20 selling on the DS were first party isn't proof that 3rd party games didn't perform well on the system. All it is showing is that Nintendo's first party games were very popular.

3DS SW 3rd party LTD

bird (Yes it's no.1)
Vita SW LTD

cod
buzzcockshoss9.gif

Nilaul

So the Wiiu is like the 3DS in its first year?

___

Angry birds 3ds: 500k

Cod Vita: 317k

Sony money hatted the wrong game.

antonz

True, that's why I suggested the digital download and grassroots type localization option. Or like how they got Last Story and Xenosaga out in the US somehow. That may just be the future for almost all the Japanese games in the US 3DS wise.

I think you are going to see more titles particularly out of Japan being E-shop only. The industry is just not healthy enough to take chances even for small profits with a retail model.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I find myself curious as to how digital sales have been on the PSV too, since you ultimately pay a fair bit more that way once you factor in overpriced storage media.
Depends how you manage your downloaded games - many of mine I just back up to my computer when not in use, and move them back when I want to play them, so I don't have to buy a huge memory card. I only have 2-3 games on there at a time. Not to excuse their shitty memory card situation, but digital doesn't always mean a higher cost :)

So 500k people shelled out $20+ for Angry Birds on the 3DS when they could've gotten it for free on iOS/Android (or paid a few bucks at the most)? Is there something about the 3DS version that I'm missing or does this punch a gaping hole in the "nobody is going to pay $$$ now that smartphone games cost only $" theory?

Nilaul

So 500k people shelled out $20+ for Angry Birds on the 3DS when they could've gotten it for free on iOS/Android (or paid a few bucks at the most)? Is there something about the 3DS version that I'm missing or does this punch a gaping hole in the "nobody is going to pay $$$ now that smartphone games cost only $" theory?

Now watch the new Angry birds to have a price tag, and if that doesnt sell they'll just move to retail, since it seems they can sell.

Top Bottom