• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
user_nat said:
Twice as many as the PS3 and 360 combined? That doesn't seem likely.. I'm sure they have more than 4 combined. Call of Duty alone should have 4 5m+ sellers.
Unless they combine the versions of Black Ops and MW2. Which only leaves Halo 3 and Reach.

Edit: To be clear, Nintendo is referring to US NPD retail sales, and so am I. Not worldwide shipments or including digital sales.

Black Ops is the only PS3 5+ million seller, and maybe it didn't quite make it, not sure if it passed the bar or not. 360 has MW (5.2 million as of end of 2009), MW2 (missing a bunch of data I have 6.5+ million as of mid-2010), Halo 3 (6.5 million as of end of 2009), and Black Ops (have almost no data but first two months puts it over the limit). Nothing else. Reach isn't at 5 million.* My numbers aren't 100% complete here so something could have squeaked in recently, maybe.

* I have Reach around 4.4 million as of end of 2010.

Now if they combined PS360 SKUS or counted worldwide or shipments. for some of the other games there'd be a ton.

A Human Becoming said:
You know you had a bad month when half your PR response is about how well a third party game sold.
Hah, especially when it's Nintendo ;)

Anyone think the industry as a whole is being held back because the gap between consoles is getting longer?

People keep crying about the terrible month, but if you look at NPD analysis, they say the full year is trending to flat to -2% in retail, then add digital growth and the industry should see growth for the year.

Besides we're in year 5-6 of a generation, past gen's peaked in year 3. Some slowdown is to be expected.

TheOddOne

Stumpokapow said:
Black Ops is the only PS3 5+ million seller, and maybe it didn't quite make it, not sure if it passed the bar or not. 360 has MW, MW2, Halo 3, and Black Ops. Nothing else. Reach isn't at 5 million.

Now if they combined PS360 SKUS for some of the other games there'd be a ton.
I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Suck it Zayne.

Its all love fam <3

Wario64 said:
Funny thing about the Sony quote is that Playstation Move didn't come out till Sept 2010 and Sharp Shooter came out around February this year I think. And only 18% YOY? lol.
Amazing 18% yoy Move™ is a surfire hit. I think their PR no longer has a clue what they're doing now. They must've hired this guy. Job Interview:

21919fk.gif

BurntPork

Banned
Special J said:
well you have to remember that xbox numbers are inflated by the laptop promotion, but the no exclusives is just false and dumb. if you wanna say you dont like the games that are exclusive that's fine.
Compared to Sony any Nintendo, I mean.

I was half-joking, anyway.

[Nintex]

FunkyPajamas said:
Sony needs to drop the price of the PS3 pronto, maybe that'll help sell more games in the coming months as well.
$199 at GamesCom would be smart but they recently stated that being profitable is their goal not competing with the Xbox 360 for marketshare.

Also 18% up from 0 is still 0 right?

Stumpokapow said:
Black Ops is the only PS3 5+ million seller, and maybe it didn't quite make it, not sure if it passed the bar or not. 360 has MW, MW2, Halo 3, and Black Ops. Nothing else. Reach isn't at 5 million.* My numbers aren't 100% complete here so something could have squeaked in recently, maybe.

Gears?

Danny 117

Stumpokapow said:
Black Ops is the only PS3 5+ million seller, and maybe it didn't quite make it, not sure if it passed the bar or not. 360 has MW, MW2, Halo 3, and Black Ops. Nothing else. Reach isn't at 5 million.* My numbers aren't 100% complete here so something could have squeaked in recently, maybe.

Have MGS4/GT5 not crossed the 5m mark yet? I'd be surprised if they haven't.

Himself

BurntPork said:
So, both Sony and Nintendo are on life support, while console with almost no exclusives thrives?

I just wanna QFT this right here.

It is kinda cool to see NV poke in. I'm still holding out for the GOTY version. (How have the DLCs been?)

I think us GAFers represent an isolated bunch of nuts in the gaming world and it's very easy to forget this. Then you see these charts and think WTF is wrong with this Earth? Who is buying Black Ops? Who?! KILL THEM!!! ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Boombloxer said:
Nothing came out, so kinda expected. Madden will be at the top next month.
Madden won't be out until the September NPD, so this raises an interesting question of what will top the list.

I assumed Nintendo was referring to exclusives, so the COD's wouldn't count.

Danny 117 said:
MGS4 maybe, but no way GT5 has sold that much in the US.

user_nat said:
the PS3 and 360 combined? That doesn't seem likely.. I'm sure they have more than 4 combined. Call of Duty alone should have 4 5m+ sellers.
Unless they combine the versions of Black Ops and MW2. Which only leaves Halo 3 and Reach.

I would assume they're talking about exclusives. Sure GTA 4 sold 20 million copies between PS3, 360 and PC.

[Nintex] said:
$199 at GamesCom would be smart but they recently stated that being profitable is their goal not competing with the Xbox 360 for marketshare.
Yeah, GamesCom or TGS would make sense to me I guess.

And you know the company line changes depending on the time of day so I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the price before end of the year. It would be crazy not to. :p

Well, I guess in terms of software sales this may very well be the calm before the storm.

Road

Danny 117 said:
Those games possibly sold 5 million worldwide, but this NPD is only for the United States of America.

Alrus

kswiston said:
Nintendo DS family could include 3DS.

Read the PR again, if they were including the 3DS in the DS family, they wouldn't have separated Kirby Mass Attack from Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. I'm pretty sure they mean DSlite/DSi.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Stumpokapow said:

Hmm ok.
Figured Reach would have made 5m by now. Since the 3 months we have numbers for were over 4m. Must be close.

According to Nintendo there is at most 4 though and we know for certain that:
Halo 3
MW2 (360)
Blops (360)
are over 5m.

So what is the last one.. MW (360) or Black Ops (PS3)?
I would have thought both those and even WaW (360) were around 5m.

snoopeasystreet said:
I would assume they're talking about exclusives. Sure GTA 4 sold 20 million copies between PS3, 360 and PC.
Could be. Didn't really think of that.
Also didn't think of GTA4.

Satchel

Banned
BurntPork said:
So, both Sony and Nintendo are on life support, while console with almost no exclusives thrives?

Do you own a different 360 to mine? Did they make a model I'm not aware of?

Phonomezer said:
Just because a game is exclusive, it doesn't mean it's must-have.

Or even good.
Considering the only PS3 exclusive that made any significant bump in console sales was MGS4 in 2007, I often wonder how many ppl think exclusives are all as important as they make them out to be this gen for Sony. I was expecting Killzone to push systems, then Uncharted 2.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
[Nintex] said:

Are they even losing out on total market share? Last time I checked they were still outselling the 360 in YTD for Worldwide. A price drop like that would definitely be universal I'd imagine and not just a US thing.

Delio

Huh i guess that thread about putting Mario on the iphone will be in nintendo's future. Ah well Apple shall save us all.

Nirolak said:
Madden won't be out until the September NPD, so this raises an interesting question of what will top the list.

Well according to my release date bonanza! thread, August is looking like this:

August
23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360/PS3/PC), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
28 Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (NDS)

So uh... yeah. Maybe NCAA again?

Majanew

Banned
Worst month for video game sales since October 2006.

Sales down 26% year over year.

Only 8 games sold more than 100,000 copies, down from 19 last year.

Ouch.

Maybe the next-gen should hurry up?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Alrus said:
Read the PR again, if they were including the 3DS in the DS family, they wouldn't have separated Kirby Mass Attack from Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. I'm pretty sure they mean DSlite/DSi.
If 3DS actually was included in the "DS family" I could imagine someone in Japan being fairly upset about it as well :lol

Loto

timetokill said:
Well according to my release date bonanza! thread, August is looking like this:

August
23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360/PS3/PC), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
28 Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (NDS)

So uh... yeah. Maybe NCAA again?
I think DQM: Joker 2 was pushed back to mid-September.

Top Bottom