• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Cheech

Sony's gaming business is in a death spiral, and the Vita is pretty much going to do it for them I think. When you put out a PR praising controller sales, things are dire.

The future of gaming is Nintendo, Microsoft, Android, and iOS. Thanks for the PS1 and PS2, Sony, we had some great times.

KingDizzi

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Black Ops is the only PS3 5+ million seller, and maybe it didn't quite make it, not sure if it passed the bar or not. 360 has MW, MW2, Halo 3, and Black Ops. Nothing else. Reach isn't at 5 million.* My numbers aren't 100% complete here so something could have squeaked in recently, maybe.

Now if they combined PS360 SKUS for some of the other games there'd be a ton.

You have figures stating Reach has not yet passed 5 million? I find that very hard to believe, I know COD is very strong but at the very least Reach has got to have passed Black Ops PS3 in NA? If not surely by now Black Ops PS3 has passed probably 10M WW so far?

Man oh man COD, no fucking wonder everyone wants a piece of that pie. :O

Danny 117 said:
Have MGS4/GT5 not crossed the 5m mark yet? I'd be surprised if they haven't.

0 chance GT5 has or ever will in NA, it will in EU at absolute worst but that's another story. Is MGS4 has passed 5 million even WW, well I give up on the world.

Himself

mr stroke said:
Why no one decided to release any games in July or Aug this year is beyond me. Someone could have had a hit with a sub par game or a massive hit with a great game.

I guess Infamous 2 was the one with the most potential? Or actually, Deus Ex. Catherine and El Shaddai are probably only being bought by a ravenous minority.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
mr stroke said:
Why no one decided to release any games in July or Aug this year is beyond me. Someone could have had a hit with a sub par game or a massive hit with a great game.

Pretty sure that was the entire reason Catherine launched in July.

It only had 4 days to track for NPD in July. Wasn't going to happen. If they released it in the first week of July it would have made the top 10.

Imagine the same thing will happen with Deus Ex for the month of August. A game that will sell well in August that would have gotten destroyed in October / November. It too probably won't even track that well in August NPD as it'll only have about a week to track.

i'm laughing to myself when i read this top ten. remember when IGN were complaining about how NSMB shouldn't still be sold as a full priced retail game?

hahaha. yeah. maybe not.

Sorry but... Catherine has at least 6 days counted on these data since it was released on July 26 (therefore, 26-27-28-29-30-31) and we know that sometimes NPD counts not the exact month but, for example, from July 3 to August 4 or something like that.
Therefore, Atlus claiming Catherine has been its first week most successful game with 200,000 copies shipped, well, that's funny, since in the first week it wasn't able to crack 100,000.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Cheech said:
Sony's gaming business is in a death spiral, and the Vita is pretty much going to do it for them I think. When you put out a PR praising controller sales, things are dire.

The future of gaming is Nintendo, Microsoft, Android, and iOS. Thanks for the PS1 and PS2, Sony, we had some great times.

lol

Barrett2

Cheech said:

If you look at the trend of consumer electronics in general, and the sheer number of smartphones and tablet computers being sold, the notion of a dedicated, single-use handheld being financially viable 5yrs from now seems ludicrous.

But seriously, why is this only Sony's problem? Haha.

Cheech said:

You better let us know how you feel.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
KingDizzi said:
You have figures stating Reach has not yet passed 5 million? I find that very hard to believe, I know COD is very strong but at the very least Reach has got to have passed Black Ops PS3 in NA? If not surely by now Black Ops PS3 has passed probably 10M WW so far?

Man oh man COD, no fucking wonder everyone wants a piece of that pie. :O

0 chance GT5 has or ever will in NA, it will in EU at absolute worst but that's another story. Is MGS4 has passed 5 million even WW, well I give up on the world.

Reach was around 4 million when it fell off the charts. It had only shipped 6 million worldwide as of May.

MGS 4 was 5.5 million shipped last time Konami mentioned it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cheech said:

PS3 YTD Worldwide is still better than the 360 right? There is some serious hyperbole going on in here.

And the future of gaming is Nintendo. Okay.

lawblob said:
If you look at the trend of consumer electronics in general, and the sheer number of smartphones and tablet computers being sold, the notion of a dedicated, single-use handheld being financially viable 5yrs from now seems ludicrous.

I don't know. You might be right (and I hate handhelds, so I'm torn), but what seems ludicrous to me is a gaming device with no buttons.

GeoramA

Cheech said:

Thanks for that. Your weird PS3 hatred is always amusing.

newjeruse

Cheech said:

Nope.

Himself

Cheech said:

Hasn't the PS3 matched 360 sales worldwide? Isn't the 3DS failing while the WiiUs got investors shitting their pants? So is Nintendo in a death spiral too? Doom and gloom round here I tell ya.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Road said:
Are you sure?
Ok, I have 4.4 million in July - June and installed base of 17.2 million. So that's what, 25.6%? I forgot a month in the previous post.

I don't have July hardware. Sorry.

Seda

electroplankton said:
Sorry but... Catherine has at least 6 days counted on these data since it was released on July 26 (therefore, 26-27-28-29-30-31) and we know that sometimes NPD counts not the exact month but, for example, from July 3 to August 4 or something like that.
Therefore, Atlus claiming Catherine has been its first week most successful game with 200,000 copies shipped, well, that's funny, since in the first week it wasn't able to crack 100,000.

July 31st is actually the start of fiscal August.

Cheech said:

the fuck? lol

darkside31337 said:
PS3 YTD Worldwide is still better than the 360 right? There is some serious hyperbole going on in here.

Nah 360 is ahead worldwide ytd according to the latest sales fro both companies.

mr stroke

darkside31337 said:
Pretty sure that was the entire reason Catherine launched in July.

It only had 4 days to track for NPD in July. Wasn't going to happen. If they released it in the first week of July it would have made the top 10.

Imagine the same thing will happen with Deus Ex for the month of August. A game that will sell well in August that would have gotten destroyed in October / November. It too probably won't even track that well in August NPD as it'll only have about a week to track.

+1 on
Deus Ex

Even a huge game like Battlefield 3 would be better off in the Summer. It would sell because its BF3+months of lead time into MW3

Cheech said:

I don't even know what to say.

inky

Cheech said:

Sony g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ DEAD confirmed!

Scotch

electroplankton said:
That's not how NPD months work. For one, they only count four weeks this month.

Cheech said:

mj-laughing.gif

Petrichor

So Infamous 2 has only sold 400k in the states? Excuse my ignorance, but assuming roughly equal sales in Europe, is there any way on earth that this game has been profitable? Surely games like Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Killzone 3 can't be profitable ventures for Sony?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
And that's why I don't trust "shipped" numbers.
I hope we get real numbers for Catherine. That game was surely heavily front-loaded.

Banned
darkside31337 said:

360 YTD Worldwide is 4.4 Million
PS3 YTD Worldwide is 3.9 Million

Sennorin

Banned
darkside31337 said:

Don´t know what´s with your fanboy-ish wording, but: Even with the disappointing launch period of the 3DS, Nintendo is still the safest company in terms of its own survival. As long as Nintendo has all its popular franchises, they won´t go down. Meanwhile, MS can spend money to make themselves success. Sony, instead, is left with a less popular hardware and less popular franchises.

I don´t know if I´d agree with him about Sony going out of business anytime soon, but they´re certainly the most endangered of the big 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cheech said:

Dude, you're not cool.
Only this.
At least, this NPD thread has delivered something worthwhile.

Kazerei

Banned
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it looks like the red packaging has really helped push sales of NSMB and probably the others.

Cheech said:

Awesome.

KingDizzi

Banned
Saiyar said:
Reach was around 4 million when it fell off the charts. It had only shipped 6 million worldwide as of May.

MGS 4 was 5.5 million shipped last time Konami mentioned it.

1306710844877.gif

allan-bh said:
In january was 4.4m.

I can believe its not passed 5 million yet in NA then, its not charted since right? Can also believe the WW figure, it sells really well in NA and UK but meh everywhere else.

Top Bottom