• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

kswiston

Petrichor said:
So Infamous 2 has only sold 400k in the states? Excuse my ignorance, but assuming roughly equal sales in Europe, is there any way on earth that this game has been profitable? Surely games like Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Killzone 3 can't be profitable ventures for Sony?

Those 3 games will continue to sell for months/years, especially once they hit Greatest Hits pricing. Sony first party titles are usually slow burners. I think God of War 3 was their first and only 1M+ opener (in the US) since 1995.

Road

jvm said:
Ok, I have 4.4 million in July - June and installed base of 17.2 million. So that's what, 25.6%? I forgot a month in the previous post.

I don't have July hardware. Sorry.
Oh, I thought you were being cryptic about July sales. haha =|

25.6% is 4.4 out of 17.2 million but that percentage is not by how much the PS3 userbase relatively increased. =P

This thread was going ok until someone mentioned "Sony am doomed" then everyone jumped on the Worldwide bandwagon again.

I tip my hat to the instigator. lol

Cheech said:
Sony's gaming business is in a death spiral, and the Vita is pretty much going to do it for them I think. When you put out a PR praising controller sales, things are dire.
This the dumbest shit ever. LOL

apana

Shouldn't Wii have been the best selling console because of price drop to $150? Or did that already happen. Also why are people saying Sony is dead?

Wow and I thought the PAL charts this week were grim. No one is buying software in the middle of the summer it seems. Or they're buying all digital. Anecdotally, all the money I've spent this summer on gaming has been digital, either XBLA, Android, Steam or PC digital download.

Not bad for Catherine. Not good, but not bad.

PS3 will bounce back next month thanks to Madden and a probable price drop at the end of the month. The Wii is fucked in NA.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Zen said:
78K in the first 6 days? Seems like they'll make those 200k sales without much difficulty, and probably get new production runs after that.
In a couple years maybe. Will be waaaaaaaaaay less than 78k this month.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn, how did Shadows of the Damned only do 14k! It's one of the most fun games of the year. And one of the best reviewed.

That's like, a quarter of this forum's active user base or something. Dudes. Tell your friends.

Seda

Zen said:
78K in the first 6 days? Seems like they'll make those 200k sales without much difficulty, and probably get new production runs after that.

I doubt it, I suspect it will have a huge dropoff after it's initial week.

9. New Super Mario Bros DS - Nintendo (NDS)
That game came out during my first year of high school!
35mo3o3.jpg

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Wow and I thought the PAL charts this week were grim. No one is buying software in the middle of the summer it seems. Or they're buying all digital. Anecdotally, all the money I've spent this summer on gaming has been digital, either XBLA, Android, Steam or PC digital download.

Not bad for Catherine. Not good, but not bad.

PS3 will bounce back next month thanks to Madden and a probable price drop at the end of the month. The Wii is fucked in NA.

Madden isn't in the August NPD this year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
dallow_bg said:

I can't see how 78k in sales for August is that unreasonable, considering it sold 78k just 6 days for July.

Unless you think it's the kind of game where sales just fall off the cliff.

Zen

Banned
dallow_bg said:

Don't be shocked if they sell a comparable amount next month as they did this month. Then a few months after that they'll probably have the 200k cleared out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh I'll be shocked Zen.
darkside31337 said:
I can't see how 78k in sales for August is that unreasonable, considering it sold 78k just 6 days for July.

Unless you think it's the kind of game where sales just fall off the cliff.
Uh yeah, that's almost every game that isn't a super blockbuster.
Even with a whole 30ish days, it would only have sold about 85k total.

BurntPork

Banned
kswiston said:
Nintendo DS family could include 3DS.
They used that term last month, and it didn't include 3DS. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that it means 3DS. They mean DSL, DSi, and DSiXL. There's no reason to question that, imo. I'm sure that they would have said that it includes 3DS.

Petrichor said:
So Infamous 2 has only sold 400k in the states? Excuse my ignorance, but assuming roughly equal sales in Europe, is there any way on earth that this game has been profitable? Surely games like Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Killzone 3 can't be profitable ventures for Sony?

Probably Infamous sold more in Europe, there is more installed base, at least. Probably it will sell more after some price drops.

Also, a first party games are not only profitable because of the game revenue. They build brand, selling also some hardware units (not because a single game, but because a good set of exclusive games).

And, about the revenue, a first party game get more money than a third party one, because there is no "console cut". For each copy that Capcom sell on PS3, they get less benefits than the ones that Sony get for a first party game. Because Capcom has to pay Sony for each game sold.

So, even if a AAA needs, for example, to sell 1M to get benefits (as said someone from Soul Calibur), a first party maybe only need to sell 600K to get benefits, because his benefits for each copy sold are bigger.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Bentendo said:
Weird how the sales from a single store can launch it back in the top 10.

1,150 Best Buy stores + bestbuy.com, so yes a retailer can affect the resurgence

If Toys R' Us had enough copies of those Guitar Hero, DJ Hero bundles they would be up there too, but they were just clearing shelf stock of the 3-4 left in each store

Looks like New Vegas was pumped into different retailer chains with full force, didn't help that the WOM wasn't helping it's cause, with the terms of laggy/buggy/freezing thrown around, a lot of people stayed away

Also shelf clearing is gonna go on a murdering spree starting September till end of November with "Releasemageddon", doesn't help the CE's, LE's, that will get stocked and stay there

I still see the AC: Brotherhood CE for $99.99 and there's like 15+ just sitting there on BB shelves, 2-3 DC Universe Online Batman ones for same price

Barrett2

Leondexter said:
I don't know. You might be right (and I hate handhelds, so I'm torn), but what seems ludicrous to me is a gaming device with no buttons.
It will be interesting to see how the Xperia sells. With the crazy variety in Android phones being sold right now, and the seeming willingness of consumers to buy phones with jumbo screens, it wouldn't surprise me to see a few more prominent phone models include d-pads and physical buttons.

Even though it's cliche to say, it really is true. I by default take my phone everywhere. It's a chore to take my 3DS anywhere.

If I had to guess, I'd say dedicated handhelds in the next 5 yrs will retreat to niche categories, mainly catering to kids 14 and younger.

Zen

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Oh I'll be shocked Zen.
Uh yeah, that's almost every game that isn't a super blockbuster.
Even with a whole 30ish days, it would only have sold about 85k total.
Well for their sake I hope I'm right. :)

I think that it's exactly the type of game that probably won't drop off a cliff, even though the numbers it puts up will be extremely modest by the standards of blockbusters. It's very clearly defined and visible in the market, and not vying for space in a saturated genre, unless SoTD being a TPS. Atlus games tend to have decent tails to them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Petrichor said:

Infamous 2 has been the #1 selling game on PSN and has been up there since basically launch.

Of course there's no idea to know how many copies of the game sold through PSN but it has to be some kind of significant amount.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KingDizzi said:
You have figures stating Reach has not yet passed 5 million? I find that very hard to believe, I know COD is very strong but at the very least Reach has got to have passed Black Ops PS3 in NA? If not surely by now Black Ops PS3 has passed probably 10M WW so far?

Man oh man COD, no fucking wonder everyone wants a piece of that pie. :O

0 chance GT5 has or ever will in NA, it will in EU at absolute worst but that's another story. Is MGS4 has passed 5 million even WW, well I give up on the world.

Stumpakapow's numbers on Reach are way off.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Road said:
Oh, I thought you were being cryptic about July sales. haha =|

25.6% is 4.4 out of 17.2 million but that percentage is not by how much the PS3 userbase relatively increased. =P
Oh, I'm braindead. Thanks.
Note to self: Don't try to do this while the kids are still awake and running amok in my work area.

So installed base increased 34% and peripheral sales were up 18%. Did I get it right this time?

statham

if Vita is a dud as much as 3DS then cheech could be right. You guys hating on him, but andriod/Iphones has made a huge impact on gaming. pretend it hasn't but it has. look at angry birds for proof.

BurntPork

Banned
statham said:
if Vita is a dud as much as 3DS then cheech could be right. You guys hating on him, but andriod/Iphones has made a huge impact on gaming. pretend it hasn't but it has. look at angry birds for proof.
Need more proof

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
statham said:
Cheech is obviously joking, and I hope for your sake you are too.

Top Bottom