• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Jtyettis said:
360 laptop deal started May 22nd. Should have seen some impact last month. The card deals I say gave it a much bigger jump.
yeah, plus school doesn't start for most people. so i don't see the correlation.

FrankT

elrechazao said:
I agree the card deals were great. I picked up a new 360 from the amazon +100 bucks deal, and those deals were all over - amazon, newegg, wal mart, target, etc.

Yup they were killer and have seen some extension into July already. Price drop is coming.

guina

The 360 was on track to sell 350-400k this month even with no deals. The deals + the free 360 on laptop purchase probably gave it a 100-150k bump this month. And btw 400k in june would already be great.

Good numbers for Infamous 2, almost match the first 40 days of the first Infamous.

The_Technomancer said:
A jump of this size without any traceable cause would be very anomalous indeed. NPD numbers tend to follow a pretty steady curve until something disrupts them.

It's true, I'm just more inclined to think that it's a variety of factors coming together at just the right time. A few people have commented that they think the 360 is just the best positioned console in the marketplace right now, and I think that's true too. Combining that positioning with good promos like the laptop and gift-card stuff and it does make a lot of sense that it's seeing such impressive growth.

DatBreh said:
I edited my post, but yeah if it was during the fall sure. But this ran when people were out of school. Didnt you also need a valid college ID with this? You cant get one of those months before school starts.

I would have expected this to have an impact in August.

It goes through September 3rd, so the sale should have some effect most of the summer.

Webstores accepted .edu email addresses, which most students are given upon acceptance now days. Apparently birck & mortar retailers just needed to see someone 16-19 with the purchaser...

From Microsoft:

" Limited time offer valid in the U.S. on eligible products only thru 11:59 p.m. PT on 9/10/2011, or while supplies last. Only available for students age 16-19 and/or with a valid .EDU email address. Eligible students will be given a promo code when .EDU email address is confirmed and / or their age, 16-19, is confirmed, which must be entered at checkout to receive the discount."

I've been following it only because I need a new laptop and want to jump on this deal. :)

The_Technomancer said:
A jump of this size without any traceable cause would be somewhat anomalous. NPD numbers tend to follow a pretty steady curve until something disrupts them.

I mean, what else was moving 360s this month that wasn't last month?
But theses deals started in may, and it didn't have a huge impact on last month npd. so why now?

apana

Kinect is being pushed heavily. I know my Dad showed interest in 360 Kinect bundle at Costco and he hates videogames.

soundscream said:
But you needed a student ID which freshman dont get till they start school.
That's only in store. Online you only need an .edu email, so you can be a teacher, faculty, alumni or whatever. I still have access to my school email and I graduated 5 years ago.

soundscream said:

I got a student id before school started when I was a freshman. Most schools make you go to a mandatory orientation in June.

Huff

Banned
soundscream said:

Lot of kids freshman start summer at the bigger universities. And even the ones starting on fall may have already had their orientation and gotten IDs.

Who knows how strict the sellers were about that kind of stuff either.

Jtyettis said:
360 laptop deal started May 22nd. Should have seen some impact last month. The card deals I say gave it a much bigger jump.

It probably did have some impact last month, we just don't know how big. This is the first full month, so the impact is clearer, I think it's pretty obvious it was a major reason why the 360 sold so much this month.

I kinda wish I was looking for a new laptop, I would definitely get a qualifying model just for Gears and L4D franchise. I still have and use my .edu email which would qualify me I think.

There were a ton of great 360 deals last month. I bought a third system last month that's still sitting in its box because Amazon ran a $100 cash back on the 4GB Kinect bundle.

FrankT

AranhaHunter said:
It probably did have some impact last month, but this is the first full month. I think it's pretty obvious it had an impact. I kinda wish I was looking for a new laptop, I would definitely get a qualifying model just for Gears and L4D franchise. I still have and use my .edu email which would qualify me I think.

It probably did have some impact but there is no question in my mind what really provided the jump and that is $100 gift cards, which if is the case then a real price should see some serious numbers.

AranhaHunter said:
Well there's no question in my mind what really provided the jump was the laptop deal :p

Nope. Doesn't really matter though because if they do price drop that SKU by $100 we will know then for sure.

Saint Gregory said:
There were a ton of great 360 deals last month. I bought a third system last month that's still sitting in its box because Amazon ran a $100 cash back on the 4GB Kinect bundle.

Amazon alone had pretty much sold out of these for a few days in June during the promotion.

bigtroyjon said:
They have been doing gift card deals all year, 50 sometimes, 100 others but the gift cards really shouldn't have had much of an effect compared to previous months this year.

Yea here and there. June was nothing but deals all month long and just about every retailer. Testing the waters.

SlipperySlope said:
What's the highest selling Kinect game?

Does Kinect Adventures count?

Jtyettis said:
It probably did have some impact but there is no question in my mind what really provided the jump and that is $100 gift cards.

Well, there's no question in my mind what really provided the jump was the laptop deal :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AppleMIX said:
Apparently Alice sold alright

Which makes me very happy.
Notably these also don't include Steam sales, where it was sitting surprisingly high on the chart for a very long time.

lunchwithyuzo said:
That's only in store. Online you only need an .edu email, so you can be a teacher, faculty, alumni or whatever. I still have access to my school email and I graduated 5 years ago.
I was referring to the incoming students who are a group who would be buying new laptops in mass. Still the amount of students/teachers/alumni buying a $700+ laptop to get a free $200 360 is not going to be a huge amount of the sales for the month.

Nirolak said:
Notably these also don't include Steam sales, where it was sitting surprisingly high on the chart for a very long time.

Could you imagine if NPD started including Steam sales, especially during the Summer Sale?
That would completely screw up the top ten.

larvi

too much eslim said:
But theses deals started in may, and it didn't have a huge impact on last month npd. so why now?

I don't think it was very well advertised or promoted early on. I bought mine on 5/23 and there wasn't a lot of information out there on how it the program worked at that time other than some Microsoft blog.

rosjos44

Averon said:
Did we ever think Nintendo would use Sony level spin in their PR? Nintendo DS family. HAHA

Well the Nintendo DS systems are all the same except in size so its not the same level as Sony combining different systems into one "Family"

380k for Nintendo DS which sold what over 45 million in the US? is more impressive than Xbox360's which relied heavily on there free 360 with laptop deal thats been going on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
soundscream said:
I was referring to the incoming students who are a group who would be buying new laptops in mass. Still the amount of students/teachers/alumni buying a $700+ laptop to get a free $200 360 is not going to be a huge amount of the sales for the month.
I saw a ton of commercials for the promotion though, all with the main 360 mascots and everything.

Probably at least a 50k bump.

Jtyettis said:
It probably did have some impact but there is no question in my mind what really provided the jump and that is $100 gift cards, which if is the case then a real price should see some serious numbers.

Nope. Doesn't really matter though because if they do price drop that SKU by $100 we will know then for sure.
They have been doing gift card deals all year, 50 sometimes, 100 others but the gift cards really shouldn't have had much of an effect compared to previous months this year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AceBandage said:
Could you imagine if NPD started including Steam sales, especially during the Summer Sale?
1.)Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (PC)
2.)Terraria (PC)
3.)...

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
soundscream said:
People can be just buying laptops and not care for the 360, just say 'oh well thats a nice bonus' or get the 360 and sell it making their purchase cheaper

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AppleMIX said:
I think word of mouth helped that game a lot.
One other interesting thing about Alice is that the first one actually did sell 1.5 million copies over time on PC, so it was quite the franchise at one point.

AceBandage said:
That'd be really fascinating to see.

The_Technomancer said:
2.)Terraria (PC)
3.)...
Terraria did do 432,000 units its first two months (200,000 of which were the first week), so that would definitely be able to chart. This was all prior to the sale to boot.

AceBandage said:

I now desperately want this to happen.

"The number one selling game for June 2011 was... released a decade ago. Huh."

The_Technomancer said:
2.)Terraria (PC)
3.)...

No chance, it was like $13 dude. Total rip-off.

mujun

jim-jam bongs said:
And yet that's easier for a lot of people to accept than the suggestion that people might just like the 360. We live in strange times, friend.

Yep. I don't see how anyone can be surprised by the success of either the 360 or the PS3, they are both amazing consoles. I'm not going to speak on the Wii, don't own one nor do I really keep up with the state of the system.

samus4ever said:
I got a student id before school started when I was a freshman. Most schools make you go to a mandatory orientation in June.
I went to a big school and most of the students were from out of state or not near the university the majority of us went through orientation the last week of August.

Nirolak said:
Yet never peaked past 800 users online :\

EDIT: And currently not in the top 100 games played online atm for Steam.

Jtyettis said:

My opinion is not gonna change just because you're saying 'nope'.

Regardless I don't think MS needs to drop the SKU at all, let alone by half (on the cheapest SKU). As I said earlier in the thread, I believe a U$200 360 will outsell a U$200 PS3.

steam annual revenue is around 3 billion if I am not wrong, if we (safely) assume it managed a 400$ million last month, that would amount to 10 million 40$ games. And we know it was sale, so games being much lower than that.

am I correct?

walking fiend said:
steam annual revenue is around 3 billion if I am not wrong, if we (safely) assume it managed a 400$ million last month, that would amount to 10 million 40$ games. And we know it was sale, so games being much lower than that.

am I correct?

3 billion a year is less than 300 million a month.

walking fiend said:

am I correct?

Where did you hear/read that?

outunderthestars said:
No matter how MS got half a million 360's into homes last month it is still damn impressive.

Indeed.

Marius_ said:
People can be just buying laptops and not care for the 360, just say 'oh well thats a nice bonus' or get the 360 and sell it making their purchase cheaper

Seriously, why would an American college student want to play CoD or Madden or NBA2k? Most of those 360s are probably used to prop up beer pong tables.

Top Bottom