• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

eastmen said:
I dunno

Its at 844k in japan as of last week i believe.

440k as of april 4th in NA

618k in Europe as of a week ago i believe.

So its at almost 2m world wide already and in 2 regions its only been on sale 3 weeks or so.

If its able to push 1m world wide each month it can sell another 7m and if any titles like zelda or mario kart or what have you push it further 10m is easily possible .

Those are near launch numbers. There will be a dip, corresponding to the software drought. What's gonna sell that 1 million a month all the way until october? You must expect Zelda and Starfox remakes to really drive hardware. Mario Kart is a holiday game.

BTW, you can add 31,000 from Australia, but i dunno where you got those EU numbers from. Last i saw was 303,000 across EU. Got a link for the 618K EU number?

Cipherr

Igor Antunov said:
Just throw something like a 6850 in there, along with 1-2gb of fast ram, and the system could be milked for years to come.

Learn to manage your firefox tabs better bro! Wrong thread!

legend166

I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo haven't done nearly enough to tell the public that this is a new stand alone handheld rather than another revision.

Hazelhurst said:
At the end of 2012? If it was coming at the end of 2011, I'd agree with you.
The Wii still has a few things that could sustain it until 2012. Such as dropping the price, colors and bundles. Of course most importantly software which is why it's sales are falling and nothing can really help it right now because most of 2011 and 2012's release schedule are already planned out. However, there could be games such as Zelda to give it a little boost.

Remember it took many console bundles, price drops and complete system relaunches with Slim versions, different marketing and major motion accesories to get the competitor products to outsell the Wii and the Wii is still a long way ahead overall WW than either two competitors.

Trevelyon

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Guys, by the PR posted by SONY can someone assume that it sold between 300,000 units?

Its up YoY in double digitals, so given the March numbers for last year being 314k. Yes it has does done over 300k.

Averon

I'm actually surprised the PS3 is up YOY so far. I'd think the $300 price tag and Kinect wouldn't slowed it down.

Top Ten 3DS games
1. Street Fighter 3DS
2. Pilotwings Resort
3. Lego Star Wars
4. Rayman
5. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
6. Super Monkey Ball
7. Nintendogs+Cats G
8. Ridge Racer
9. Steel Diver
10. Nintendogs+Cats F
Interesting . . . . 4 of the top 5 games are not from Nintendo. (Of course they didn't have very many launch titles at all.) Is Nintendo trying to get more 3rd party support by holding back?

zero_suit

speculawyer said:
Interesting . . . . 4 of the top 5 games are not from Nintendo. (Of course they didn't have very many launch titles at all.) Is Nintendo trying to get more 3rd party support by holding back?

I am confident that this was their plan. We know how third parties like to play the "we can't compete with Nintendo" card.

Please don't use poor 3DS advertising as an argument guys

If I see that damn commercial with the guy playing AR games another time, I'm going to go nuts. People also argued back with Killzone 2 that there was no advertising when I saw that slow-mo bullet ad 500 times a day.

Nintendo is a victim of its own success with the 3DS. The DS is still selling like gangbusters and kids don't have a reason to upgrade. I'd wager that the average age of a 3DS owner compared to DS owners is significantly higher.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Sean said:
Seems like the Kinect/Move really hurt the Wii's momentum. Makes you wonder what this gen would look like had Microsoft and Sony released their motion control solutions sooner rather than being four years late.

not really.
Wii has one problem.
Software. And not only lack of third party software. Nintendo's own release schedule for q1 and q2 is completely barren.

It is good that systems with no games dont sell as well as systems with games. Same thing with 3DS. Smart consumers are better for the industry than fanboys buying systems for hardware or the promise of software. It is good to see wii struggle and 3ds not lighting the world on fire. while nintendo did a lot of good things with both systems, they did not do enough and have had it way too easy. (and im not ready to upgrade from a DS yet!)

legend166 said:
I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo haven't done nearly enough to tell the public that this is a new stand alone handheld rather than another revision.

gaf always put WAY too much emphasis on the importance for advertising on hardware sales. in the long run, what matters are the games. when 3ds games come out that ppl want to play and cant play on DS, they will consider upgrading. right now there are very little reasons.

Four_Chamber said:
Please don't use poor 3DS advertising as an argument guys

If I see that damn commercial with the guy playing AR games another time, I'm going to go nuts.
It's a girl playing AR-Games. Guys are playing Steel Diver and SSF4.

Trevelyon said:
Its up YoY in double digitals, so given the March numbers for last year being 314k. Yes it has does done over 300k.

Thats what i thought, so the OP can be updated, stating that PS3 sold around 350,000 units in March, and that isn´t too bad at all.

Chris1964 said:
With an initial shipment at least 1.5M it is bad. You'll see Iwata apologizing to investors in a few days.
Damn you Chris, when you´re right, you´re right :p
Is it correct to say that the 3DS under preformed world wide. Nintendo did gave any expectation or anything.

GavinGT

Banned
Thats what i thought, so the OP can be updated, stating that PS3 sold around 350,000 units in March, and that isn´t too bad at all.

The PR says Playstation is up YoY. Not necessarily PS3, although I don't see how PSP or PS2 could have increased YoY.

KarmaCow said:
There's another one with a dude playing face raiders.
Really? I haven't seen it, did they show any other games?

I did also see a dedicated commercial for SSF4 once late at night. Was weird, kinda long and more like a trailer than the usual tv ad.

Busaiku

Beam said:
Is it correct to say that the 3DS under preformed world wide. Nintendo did gave any expectation or anything.
They shipped 4 million.
They were expected to sell out.

They likely haven't even sold 1/2 of that.

Obviously Nintendo will need to instill the fact that this is a new system to the public, but I think when the games come, people will buy it. By the time Christmas comes, it will have games that people are going to want to buy, so I expect that it will pick up in sales. It will just take word of mouth, and a lot of advertising, to make people see it's not another revision.

onQ123

PlayStation 3: over 50M sold, Move 8M Sold

15.04.2011 08:00
PlayStation(R)3 Sales Reach 50 Million Units Worldwide / Sales of PlayStation(R)Move motion controller for PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) surpass 8 million units worldwide, accelerating the expansion of the PS3 Platform.

TOKYO, April 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the cumulative sales of the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) computer entertainment system reached a milestone of 50 million units(1) worldwide, as of March 29, 2011. SCE also announced that PlayStation(R)Move sales surpassed 8 million units(1) worldwide as of April 3, demonstrating continued growth and momentum of the PS3 platform.

The PS3 system, equipped with future proof cutting-edge technologies including the powerful Cell Broadband Engine(TM) and RSX(R) processors as well as the Blu-ray disc(TM) (BD) player and HDMI, has delivered users with high-definition and high quality entertainment experiences since its launch in November 2006. The PS3 system continues to evolve and enhance the user experience through new features and services delivered via software updates.

Concurrently with the introduction of PS3, SCE launched the PlayStation(R)Network service which now has more than 75 million registered accounts and operates in 59 countries and regions(2) around the world. PlayStation Network supports free community-centric online game play and communication tools such as PlayStation(R)Home(3), and offers vast downloadable digital content, including games, movies and TV shows, through PlayStation(R)Store. Downloadable digital content on PlayStation Store currently totals 105,988 worldwide. In September 2009, SCE launched the new slimmer and lighter PS3 system with a new form factor and less power consumption that has been well received by users around the world.

To further expand entertainment experiences only possible on PS3, stereoscopic 3D gaming and Blu-ray 3D(TM) features were introduced to the system via a free system software update(4) in April and September 2010, respectively. The feature enables users to enjoy stunningly realistic stereoscopic 3D on their PS3 system by simply connecting it to a 3D-compatible TV such as a 3D "BRAVIA" TV using an HDMI cable. The number of stereoscopic 3D software titles has reached 89 as of April 1, 2011.

SCE launched PlayStation Move in September 2010 for North America, Europe/PAL territories and in Asia, and in October 2010 for Japan to deliver a new entertainment experience across all categories of games, from casual to core. The PlayStation Move motion controller is used in combination with the PlayStation(R)Eye camera to detect the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of the user, thereby allowing users to intuitively play as if they are within the game. The number of PlayStation Move supported/dedicated software titles has reached 155 as of March 24, 2011, including titles such as Sports Champions, SingStar Dance and Killzone 3(5). PlayStation Move continues to expand new game play with variety of upcoming new PlayStation Move titles for 2011, including SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs(6).

With strong support from 3rd party developers and publishers worldwide, PS3 features a vast library of more than 2,128 software titles, with more than 480 million units sold worldwide(7). Recently released blockbuster franchise titles from first party studios include Grand Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet2 and Killzone 3.

SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment.

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation(R) game console, the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, the PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

PlayStation, PS3, PS2, PSP and RSX are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Cell Broadband Engine and EyeToy are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. BRAVIA is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Blu-ray Disc(TM), Blu-ray 3D(TM) are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

(1) Sell-in number

(2) As of Mar 20, 2011.

(3) A ground-breaking 3D social gaming community available on PS3 that allows users to interact, communicate and share gaming experiences. Within PlayStation Home, users can create and customize their own unique avatars and explore the virtual community in real time where they can communicate freely through text or voice chat. When the service is available, PlayStation Home icon will appear after booting/re-booting the PS3 system. Some content and services are charged.

(4) System software versions 3.30 or later are required.

(5) Titles and year differ by each country or region.

(6) Adapts to stereoscopic 3D games

(7) As of the end of Dec, 2010

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

CONTACT: Dan Race of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. 1-650-655-3686

© 2011 PR Newswire

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/19951076

I can't post new threads because I'm a Jr can someone post this for me?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
StickSoldier said:
Obviously Nintendo will need to instill the fact that this is a new system to the public, but I think when the games come, people will buy it. By the time Christmas comes, it will have games that people are going to want to buy, so I expect that it will pick up in sales. It will just take word of mouth, and a lot of advertising, to make people see it's not another revision.
The thing about Christmas time is that consoles(PS3/360/PC) will be in full swing, and NGP will be releasing with a bunch of fanfare. Nintendo is going to have to push the 3DS hard.

speculawyer said:
And look at the IPs. Steel Diver? New. Pilotwings? Relatively weak.
Nintendogs? Might be weak in retrospect, but before launch people expected it to be the biggest seller. Pilotwings looks to have done okay, but it's definitely a more secondary support sort of title.

The real problem is that Nintendo didn't have a bigger, fuller action or adventure game to round out the lineup. Like Mario or Zelda, which is something every previous successful Nintendo system had there day one. That's the problem, Nintendo launched 3DS with the sorts of games that'd usually help support that one big central title. It's like if they had launched SNES with Pilotwings, F-Zero and Sim City, but no Mario World.

onQ123

Trevelyon said:
There must be an entire fleet of floating warehouses covered in dust somewhere in the Southern ocean with a huge invisibility cloak over it. There's no other logical explanation.

What-You-Talkin-Bout-Willis.jpg

Seda

Haha, sorry it took me longer than it should've, got distracted (there was a cat screeching at me from outside my door. Away, scoundrel!)

Dance In My Blood said:
The thing about Christmas time is that consoles(PS3/360/PC) will be in full swing, and NGP will be releasing with a bunch of fanfare. Nintendo is going to have to push the 3DS hard.

Good point. They'll just have to hope that they can have some game come out that makes people want to buy the 3DS, like the DS, but it's gonna take a lot of different factors for it to start selling at a high rate, then just one game.

The other thing they really need to try to do is to make people realize that it's not just another version of the DS, but rather a new system, and that the DS wont be having games made for it anymore in due time. I know price is hurting it too, but not sure what they can do about that right now. Either way people will buy an expensive system if the games are good on it anyways.

Trevelyon said:
There must be an entire fleet of floating warehouses covered in dust somewhere in the Southern ocean with a huge invisibility cloak over it. There's no other logical explanation.

Yes, I want to know where these shipments of Move are going. I like your theory though.

Shipped numbers are ridiculously untrustworthy though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not the same as, Sell-in number, as stated in the SONY PR, so somebody is wrong or is Jim Reilly or Sony, you decide.
Sell-in is shipping for most intents and purposes.

Sell-through is sold.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Trevelyon said:

Or probably they're selling well in various countries that's not EU/Japan/NA.

Top Bottom