• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

Bread

Banned
WaltJay said:
NBA 2K11 has some crazy legs. I wonder who they'll put on the cover for 2K12? I wonder if they'll put a new HOFer on the cover each year, along with a corresponding "Moments" mode. Clearly putting Jordan on the cover has been a huge boost.
Larry Bird edition please *drools*

Prine

Banned
360 = Like a BOSS!

Kinect revitalized interest in the console, quite remarkable id say. Especially considering the mood and venom on display prior to its launch. Looking forward to e3 Kinect blow out - and by that i mean games from AAA dev houses.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Draft said:
I love it.

Wii disappoints, 3DS disappoints, DA2 disappoints. It's a hater's ball.

7 days worth of sales and the best handheld launch ever is "disappointing?"

Nirolak said:
Yeah, there are some definitely downsides to the name 3DS...

I've actually spoken to people who think the 3DS is the same console as the DS but with 3D. Nintendo may not have done a great job making it clear that it's an entirely new console.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Road said:
I want to add Nintendo did not say that, Bloomberg acted as if the 3DS were just another DS revision.
This is a problem Nintendo has. Surprising amounts of people don't know the 3DS is the next generation of handheld. Like I said, the DS->DSLite->DSi->DSiXL cycle may be coming back to bite Nintendo.

They aren't getting their messaging out correctly.

onipex

AniHawk said:
sony sold 620,000 psps at a price of $249.99 for the month of march when it launched in march 24, 2005.

Did a main Pokemon game launch that month too? I think Nintendo hurt 3DS by doing that more than anything else.

BowieZ

Banned
Basileus777 said:
I've actually spoken to people who think the 3DS is the same console as the DS but with 3D. Nintendo may not have done a great job making it clear that it's an entirely new console.
8 months of word-of-mouth and StreetPass self-advertising.

Enjoy the November NPD thread.

Huff

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
Are avatars disabled today because of this thread?

Am I the only one who has all avatars gone or is it for everyone else?

The wii 2 thread. Gaf kept going down because of the traffic.

Zinga

Banned
The 360's performance is amazing, truly the everyman's console this generation, funny to think that before its launch everyone thought the PS3 was going to do so well, and we all know how that turned out....

Spat_triate

I wonder if Homefront will sell > 1mil copies. I would honestly be disappointed if it did. Seems like THQ spent more money on marketing than actual game development and its success would send the wrong message.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Zinga said:
The 360's performance is amazing, truly the everyman's console this generation, funny to think that before its launch everyone thought the PS3 was going to do so well, and we all know how that turned out....

PS3 did over 314k. That's not bad at all. Doing pretty similar to pre slim xbox/kinect.

creamsugar

The best sold 3DS game is SSF43D, the worst is dinosaurs3D.
The second is a nintendo game, and less than half of the 1st.

Amir0x

Banned
creamsugar said:
The best sold 3DS game is SSF43D, the worst is dinosaurs3D.
The second is a nintendo game, and less than half of the 1st.

Haha, even though SSF4D is a port, I'm glad that discerning 3DS owners picked it over the laughable efforts from Nintendo. But more specifically, I'm glad they picked it over NINTENDOGS. I'm glad adults acting like they enjoy virtual pets is a fad.

DarkPanda

So I'm guessing that the Pokemon games each had some spare change numbers to make up for the 1M difference between 1.3+1.1 and 2.5M?

Despite the "best handheld launch ever!" status of the 3DS, I still question Nintendo's decision to launch a new platform the same month they release a new Pokemon for the current platform. It's like they're trying to pull attention away from the 3DS. When the older platform outsells the new one, something is wrong. I predict Nintendo prematurely killing the original DS like they killed the GBA.

legend166 said:
Still can't believe they didn't make Black and White 3DS games.

You can't believe Nintendo didn't sabotage their biggest cash cow by putting it on a system with a userbase of zero? I sure can.

Remember, Black and White came out five months before the 3DS in Japan.

Amir0x said:
Haha, even though SSF4D is a port, I'm glad that discerning 3DS owners picked it over the laughable efforts from Nintendo. But more specifically, I'm glad they picked it over NINTENDOGS. I'm glad adults acting like they enjoy virtual pets is a fad.

Are you sure it's nintendogs and not pilotwings?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
legend166 said:
Still can't believe they didn't make Black and White 3DS games.

A few of the areas in Black and White convince me that they had 3D in mind during development, and "Grey" will be on 3DS.

Zertez

Htown said:
This is a problem Nintendo has. Surprising amounts of people don't know the 3DS is the next generation of handheld. Like I said, the DS->DSLite->DSi->DSiXL cycle may be coming back to bite Nintendo.

They aren't getting their messaging out correctly.
While I think some might have been confused because of the name 3DS, I think it is more the price of the system and launch software. Nintendo has been recycling the names of their hand helds forever. Look at the Gameboy line and the next generation upgrades along the line. The systems did look somewhat different though.

Huff

Banned
Jax said:
oh snap homefront did okay? It beat out DAII and CRYSIS2.

which is all kinds of Shock and awe.

congrats THQ.

I hope they take this and use the money to try and create a good game. Not just a good selling game.

witness

Jax said:
oh snap homefront did okay? It beat out DAII and CRYSIS2.

which is all kinds of Shock and awe.

congrats THQ.

Not even half as good as those two but it sold better than them, very unfortunate

zero_suit

Log4Girlz said:
3DS will have legs, it will be a long time before they drop the price.

Indeed, it's also encouraging that the 3DS sold more software at launch than the DS even though the latter came out in November.

Bizzyb

Banned
Does anyone think the Wii will ever see Number one spot again?

I know it's pretty much over in Japan, but what about in NA?

Effect

ZoddGutts said:
Feel bad for the guy who made 3DS. Don't want another Gunpei from happening. :(

What is wrong with people? These numbers are over 7 days in a non-holiday month. What the hell were people expecting?

zero_suit

Bizzyb said:
Does anyone think the Wii will ever see Number one spot again?

I know it's pretty much over in Japan, but what about in NA?

Price cut in May, and during the holidays. Not that it matters since Nintendo won the war ages ago. :)

I think I have the correct order for Top 10 3DS games (no numbers), but I don't know if it's okay to post here or not, maybe I should PM a mod first before I do it.

Top Bottom