• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

TheOddOne

Y2Kev said:
Sony is so stupid for what they did with the souls series.
It's actually a blessing for From Software, because they have own the IP and can now reach a bigger audience with more platforms.

ZZMitch

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
So exactly how many games are going to break 1 million next month? 5? MW3, Battlefield 3, Zelda (this might be a bit of an if), Skyrim, Ass Creed. Anything I'm missing?

Does Halo Anniversary have a chance?

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
So exactly how many games are going to break 1 million next month? 5? MW3, Battlefield 3, Zelda (this might be a bit of an if), Skyrim, Ass Creed. Anything I'm missing?

Sony said they shipped close to 4 million so many folks are predicting a million for that.

VALIS

360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k

If this keeps up, 360 might add 1-1.5 million to its PS3 lead over the next two months, like it did in the holiday season 2010. I thought a cheaper PS3 would fare better this year. We'll see. Right now it doesn't look like it.

360 still a longshot to overtake Wii in NA. It would probably need 3 years to do that.

Also, nice to see a non-traditional top-10 game like Dark Souls in the charts. Multiplatform was the way to go.

UberTag

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Uncharted 3 should also make the cut. Don't know about Halo Anniversary... depends on the marketing dollars Microsoft puts behind it.

Just Dance 3 may also break a million although I think it has a greater chance of this feat in December.
Skylanders has potential in December as well if it turns into a craze.

jax (old)

Banned
EA wishes it would have MW3's sales but they're making good inroads. At first I was like UC3 bomba; but then I was like oh, october.

Alrus

Positive 3DS numbers? My god!

On a serious note, amazing numbers for Arkham City, possibly great numbers for Dark Souls!

Just Dance 3 will explode in November/December as always, I expect it to be near the top selling softwares of the year.

YES, I was right, game systems do go back to pre-price drop sales in the third NPD following a $50 drop. This happened with the Wii and I was expecting it for the PS3 and finally got something right.

Road

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
JD3 perhaps. UC3 is a slim possibility.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
VALIS said:
360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k

If this keeps up, 360 might add 1-1.5 million to its PS3 lead over the next two months, like it did in the holiday season 2010. I thought a cheaper PS3 would fare better this year. We'll see. Right now it doesn't look like it.

360 still a longshot to overtake Wii in NA. It would probably need 3 years to do that.

Also, nice to see a non-traditional top-10 game like Dark Souls in the charts. Multiplatform was the way to go.
I love the undertones to this post for some reason, it makes me think of the beginning of this generation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Technosteve said:
the split for dark souls probably 80/20 split in terms of ps3 vs xbox.
So? They could have published it. Instead they give money to Bombahut insomniac to make games no one wants like ratchet.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Guevara said:
Nintendo predicts 3DS first year sales will be greater than DS first year sales:

EDIT: It's in the OP. Still that's crazy and worth noting.

The DS sold like shit in its first year: 2,226,286. Not much to brag about.

Kusagari

Technosteve said:

I saw a surprising number of people playing it on my 360 friends list(I'm talking people who normally just play CoD/Madden/etc), but I'm sure the split was majorly in favor of PS3.

Sydle

Damn. Yeah, I don't think we're getting a new Xbox next year.

Also, seeing a ton of Xbox 360 ads on TV. Nov and Dec will be nuts.

That's not going to happen anymore. The model has changed. Sony and Nintendo should be very scared of MS next gen.

MS might get cocky and pull a PS3, or Nintendo could make it big with the Wii U, or PS4 could launch at a great price and address its predecessor's issue (namely online). There's really no telling what will happen.

VALIS said:
360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k

I don't think price is holding the ps3 back much anymore, since it is effectively equal to the 360 ($250 vs $200-$300). I think what you're seeing here is close to the actual demand for the product. 360 is just that much more dominant in NA.

Guevara

Dark Souls' next gen sequel is just about a system seller for me. It's stupid that Sony didn't lock up the serious for cheap. Also, DS would benefit tremendously from console exclusivity.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Technosteve said:
Probably closer to 50/50 based on UK sales.
Still a strong result for the PS3.

Cipherr

Souls is officially a massively massive selling IP. Its on the freaking verge. Sort of like UC2 was, the great selling game, where you know, the windfall is just about ready to happen. The next entry, be it next gen or this one, will be fucking massive sales wise.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
test_account said:
It seems that more and more people chose the Xbox 360 instead in the US. That would at least be one explanation to why the Xbox 360 sales increases and the PS3 sales keeps fairly stable.
No shit!

TheOddOne

Guevara said:
Dark Souls' next gen sequel is just about a system seller for me. It's stupid that Sony didn't lock up the serious for cheap. Also, DS would benefit tremendously from console exclusivity.
If I'm correct the Demon Souls IP belongs to Sony, but the Dark Souls IP belongs to From Software. The Demon series could just continue.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
So? They could have published it. Instead they give money to Bombahut insomniac to make games no one wants like ratchet.

tru dat, tru dat

the real shame is that after atlus's hard work at launching Demon's Souls they didn't get to reap any of the rewards for the sequel.

Guevara said:
Did Sony actually have a chance to lock this up? If so, they are truly, truly retarded. Like, exceptionally retarded.

zero_suit

VALIS said:
360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k

Not happenin'.

gaming_noob

My bro purchased 2 copies of Modern Warfare 3 for PS3 on launch day and he mentioned the entire line was buying the 360 version. 360 is just more popular in North America.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dark Souls seems disappointing.

Rage is better than expected. How many copies did Bethesda manage to stuff in to the channels this time?

UberTag said:
Uncharted 3 should also make the cut. Don't know about Halo Anniversary... depends on the marketing dollars Microsoft puts behind it.

Just Dance 3 may also break a million although I think it has a greater chance of this feat in December.
Skylanders has potential in December as well if it turns into a craze.
You're right, I forgot about Uncharted 3. Halo Anniversary seems to be getting strong preorders, but I can't think of a precedent for such a huge start for a HD remake.

UberTag

One last title I'll throw out there as a potential multi-SKU million-seller (although I think it has a better shot in December than November - just like Just Dance 3 and Skylanders)... LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.

Guevara

H_Prestige said:
Did Sony actually have a chance to lock this up? If so, they are truly, truly retarded. Like, exceptionally retarded.
I don't read Japanese, but Wikipedia tells me:

With the critical and commercial success of the game, Sony Computer Entertainment VP of international software Yeonkyung Kim later admitted that it was a "mistake" to pass on the game, instead allowing Atlus to publish it, initially due to concerns over its difficulty and unusual design decisions.

Sony published the game in Japan, but passed on publishing the game in the US and PAL. I don't really know the story behind Dark Souls.

El-Suave

H_Prestige said:
That's not going to happen anymore. The model has changed. Sony and Nintendo should be very scared of MS next gen.

One of the things this console cycle has shown is that brand loyalty is not nearly as strong as some of the parties involved have thought it would be.

Of course Microsoft will have an advantage in their strong territories if they play their cards right, but that's still a pretty big if before we know more details. You don't have to look too far back to a botched hardware launch not many people would have expected.

allan-bh

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
You're right, I forgot about Uncharted 3. Halo Anniversary seems to be getting strong preorders, but I can't think of a precedent for such a huge start for a HD remake.

It's Halo. It's November.

Anniversary will sell more than 1 million

Kusagari

El-Suave said:
One of the things this console cycle has shown is that brand loyalty is not nearly as strong as some of the parties involved have thought it would be.

Of course Microsoft will have an advantage in their strong territories if they play their cards right, but that's still a pretty big if before we know more details. You don't have to look too far back to a botched hardware launch not many people would have expected.

MS has all the momentum right now though. The Xbox has become the symbol of video games in America's pop culture self-consciousness. As long as they don't have a $600 mistake, like Sony, they should take off out of the gate this time.

allan-bh said:
360- Amazing

PS3- Disappointing

Even though the PS3 numbers are not set in stone and it could be higher than 250k depending on what is "close to 250k" (for Wii) and what kind of rounding is there for 44% for 360 (could be 43.5% to 44.4%), it's still disappointing, I agree

Top Bottom