• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

PhoenixDark said:
Playstation Brand Dominates April NPD Numbers

According to the monthly NPD numbers just released tonight, the Playstation Brand once again outsold its competition. The Playstation Brand sold 459,000 units in April, solidly edging out the closet competition from Nintendo's Wii System, which sold 360,000. The Xbox 360 sold 174,000 units, respectively.

Sony's domination in hardware sales has been long standing, starting with the introduction of the Playstation Brand more than a decade ago. Since then Sony has pushed innovatation through modern technology, most notably through Betamax, UMD, and most recently Blu Ray. "Sony has always been the leader in innovation and advancement," said Phil Harrison, CO of SCEI. "The Playstation Brand is as flexible as mathematics; if you bend it, even your biggest dreams are possible."

Harrison was also bullish on Sony's closest competitor, Nintendo. Recently Nintendo has made great progress with the introduction of the Wii, a quirky invention that's heating up convalescent homes and Amish communities across the country. However, Harrison is not convinced. "Well they would certain like us to believe they are getting millions of grandmas and grandpas to play videogames, but lets see if these people are playing Nintendo games in ten years. Come census time I doubt they'll be playing much of anything."

On the other side of the spectrum is Microsoft, who's Xbox 360 console hasn't managed to make much progress in the US; while the other consoles have made great progress, the Xbox 360 seems to be following the path of the Pinto as its 2:1 break ratio causes consumer's concern. In April Microsoft introduced the Xbox 360 Elite, which comes with more options and electric tape. When asked about the system's potential for competition, Sony SCE boss Kaz Hirai was unconvinced. "I don't see the point in the name. You go from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360 Elite? Both are massively damaged in terms of design. It's like going from HIV to AIDS, and frankly, those aren't my blood vessels." When asked for comments Microsoft head Peter Moore was unavailable for comment

xbox360stockrb8.jpg

Above: Scores of Xbox 360 stock in the back of a local Wal-Mart. According to statistics compiled by SDF University, around 60% of that pile likely contains defective units

Oh oh oh oh.....easy there bro:lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PhoenixDark said:

According to the monthly NPD numbers just released tonight, the Playstation Brand once again outsold its competition. The Playstation Brand sold 459,000 units in April, solidly edging out the closet competition from Nintendo's Wii System, which sold 360,000. The Xbox 360 sold 174,000 units, respectively.

Sony's domination in hardware sales has been long standing, starting with the introduction of the Playstation Brand more than a decade ago. Since then Sony has pushed innovatation through modern technology, most notably through Betamax, UMD, and most recently Blu Ray. "Sony has always been the leader in innovation and advancement," said Phil Harrison, CO of SCEI. "The Playstation Brand is as flexible as mathematics; if you bend it, even your biggest dreams are possible."

Harrison was also bullish on Sony's closest competitor, Nintendo. Recently Nintendo has made great progress with the introduction of the Wii, a quirky invention that's heating up convalescent homes and Amish communities across the country. However, Harrison is not convinced. "Well they would certain like us to believe they are getting millions of grandmas and grandpas to play videogames, but lets see if these people are playing Nintendo games in ten years. Come census time I doubt they'll be playing much of anything."

On the other side of the spectrum is Microsoft, who's Xbox 360 console hasn't managed to make much progress in the US; while the other consoles have made great progress, the Xbox 360 seems to be following the path of the Pinto as its 2:1 break ratio causes consumer's concern. In April Microsoft introduced the Xbox 360 Elite, which comes with more options and electric tape. When asked about the system's potential for competition, Sony SCE boss Kaz Hirai was unconvinced. "I don't see the point in the name. You go from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360 Elite? Both are massively damaged in terms of design. It's like going from HIV to AIDS, and frankly, those aren't my blood vessels." When asked for comments Microsoft head Peter Moore was unavailable for comment

xbox360stockrb8.jpg

Above: Scores of Xbox 360 stock in the back of a local Wal-Mart. According to statistics compiled by SDF University, around 60% of that pile likely contains defective units
:lol

Terrell

Oblivion said:
Seriously, I think at this point, virtually everyone's pissed at Nintendo. Sony/MS for obvious reasons, and major third parties for being blindsided by this and betting on the wrong horse. :lol
Yeah, but that's like blaming the engineer for a plane crash instead of the pilot who was high on LSD and didn't see the mountain in front of him.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
PhoenixDark said:

Wow. Meltdown.

Crypto

Banned
Holy poops, I have the most posts in this thread of anyone. OK guys, this is my last post in this thread.

I wasn't going to post here more than once at first :X

Terrell said:
I can imagine Square Enix and Konami are in their boardrooms on Media-Create hardware day:

Execs: Under 10K for the week? You've gotta be kidding!! Oh well, at least we have North America to fall back on, ri........ WHAT THE ****ING ****-SUCKING ***-REAMING HELL?!???!?

... anybody got a gun?

:lol :lol :lol

Flo_Evans

:lol

great laughs all around (except for the people working on PS3 games, sorry dudes) I'm off to enjoy some HD gaming while I still can!

Saoh

HomShaBom said:
damagecontrolmp6.gif

<Sony> The PS3 saw retail dollars this month. There was an increase in certain sales. Our new IP in Motorstorm competed bravely against an established franchise in That's So Raven.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol i love you. marry me!

****ING AMAZING NINTENDO!!! :eek: a beast, a beast i say.

you win GBA :D if that doesn't scream &#8220;over!&#8221;....

btw, the servers are terrible :p nice, love NPD.

My favorite post from the prediction thread:
Link316 said:
PlayStation Portable 300K
Nintendo DS 299K
PlayStation 2 250K
PlayStation 3 200K
Xbox 360 199K
Wii 199K
Game Boy Advance 100K
GameCube 15K
Xbox n/a

PSP gets bump from price cut, PS3 & 360 get a bump thanX to tax refunds
You around Link316 or are you only posting in NGG until this blows over? :lol

Sysgen

Mooreberg said:
Sony is more concerned with Hi-Def movies and Microsoft is only concerned with outpacing Sony, so keep praying. Gen am ****ed total. :lol

Perhaps MS doesn't care at all about Nintendo since they don't threaten their core business. The whole reason why MS is in the business was to prevent SONY from taking the living room so to speak. I'm beginning to think MS doesn't care if Nintendo is number one and that your're 100% right. No MS price drop in sight as long as SONY flounders and MS is perfectly happy where they are.

Dirtbag

This thread was a fun read!

Sony fans were so high earlier today... that Drake's Fortune looking so good.... some nice Heavenly Sword.

Than BAM!!!!

Right back at Ground Zero

laserbeam

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
What are the PS3forums saying? I can't seem to view those forums...

PS3forums said:
come on guys this doom & gloom for the ps3 is getting pathetic your judging the ps3 while its been out 7 months (us & japan) and 2 months (europe) of its 7-10 year lifespan i mean are you all shortsighted why dont you look at the games coming out and there will be a price cut but not this year and also whats the worldwide sale figures

PS3forums said:
but people cant complain about the price of the console when the blu ray has 4 times the amount of space then anyother console.

thats examples

apotema

Some history, don't know if it was posted

September 2004:
Pokeymans Fire Red 685k
Pokeymans Leaf Green 555k

October 2005:
Paper Mario 2 190k

PS3 at 82k is shocking. I think the important question is this. Will the margin by which Sony dominated last generation be surpassed by Nintendo's Wii domination this generation? (Can Nintendo gain a marketshare greater than that of the PS2's?)

Bildi

PhoenixDark said:

xbox360stockrb8.jpg

Sorry to quote such a big post in its entirety, but if any post deserves to be quoted, it is this one.

A+ for effort!

Dirtbag 504 said:

Sony fans were so high earlier today... that Drake's Fortune looking so good.... some nice Heavenly Sword.

Than BAM!!!!

I can relate, as any Saturn fan can, I think. Fall of '96 was the first amazing holiday season (Sega Rally/VF2 combo!) and a price drop. Too bad it meant nothing to most people outside of Sega fans who were already importing heavily...

pilonv1

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
So is this in the top 5 NPD threads ever?

Not even close yet. There hasn't been any meltdowns or ridiculous attempts at spin, just a bunch of funny gifs and a lot of :lol

laserbeam

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Not even close yet. There hasn't been any meltdowns or ridiculous attempts at spin, just a bunch of funny gifs and a lot of :lol

The Numbers are just so drastic I don't think well get any real spin. even Sony PR gave up on it. Real issue now is we need the meltdowns :(

Evlar

Banned
Earthstrike said:
PS3 at 82k is shocking. I think the important question is this. Will the margin by which Sony dominated last generation be surpassed by Nintendo's Wii domination this generation? (Can Nintendo gain a marketshare greater than that of the PS2's?)
I don't know, that's going to be pretty tough. As a general rule never predict anything to match PS2 in any category ever (and like every rule it has an exception- the DS). I think 360 will end up considerably stronger than its predecessor. PS3 might be even weaker than the GameCube was. But that still leaves Wii to sell PS2-type numbers worldwide.

Still unlikely I think.

well, i actually liked those numbers. here's the thing: i'm living in the U.S for the next 5 months, so the price has to drop quickly.

in my quest for a ps3, i'm kind of rooting for them to god really bad right now to drop the price.

reality is, there's a lot of people just like me, wanting a PS3, but waiting for a price drop.

bite the bullet sony! 450 ps3. make it happen...

ok, 500 ps3 its what i expect.

NinSoX

Banned
AniHawk said:
Fun fact: Japan + US + Canada PS3 sales < 100k

Wrong facts since Japan's Media Create sales are based on weekly sales.

Xbox 360 USA sales > PS3's USA + Japan + Canada sales

iamblades

SabinFigaro said:
Give me reliable hardware that won't break down easily ("things break" my ass), and I'll be first in line. I've been waiting for a die shrink for a while to see if it will have any effect on hardware failure rates. I'll continue to wait until they improve. Price is a factor, obviously, but it's not the sole consideration in my decision. The current and future game line-up meets my expectations for "perceived value"; it's in the hardware itself wherein I refuse to pay $400.

^^ I've had the cash saved for months waiting on the die shrink.

But then MS went and made the halfassed 'elite' without the die shrink, and at almost $500.

Even would've paid $500 for the elite if it had the die shrink, but I refuse to pay any substantial amount of money for something with a failure rate that high.

rs7k

My Futureshop just took out all the PS3's from the gaming section, and replaced their shelf space with 360 Racing Wheels.

Futureshop has a Gold pack for the PS3 that's like $1025. Kinda puts it into perspective, I think most people would rather start thinking about getting a gaming PC at that point.

Sony needs to drop the price ASAP, and before Halo 3 comes out to steal any kind of thunder. Microsoft will run away with Xmas 2007 and Halo 3, so Sony needs to lessen some of the damage NOW. It's pretty obvious that there's nothing on the PS3 coming out this year (MGS4 delayed right?) that can shift systems in favor of a 360.

I don't know Sony's financials, but wouldn't a Ridge Racer 7 bundles, with two Blu-Ray movies at least help its situation? When you're faced with a $700 (CDN) price tag and no games, people will consider that they can get a 360 and FOUR games. And I can't remember the last time Microsoft sold the console here in Canada without two games, so it's no wonder the PS3 is non-existent here.

If they bundle first-party games, they wouldn't have to take that much of a loss. It's not like they'd be cannibalizing their own sales, the userbase is so low now that these games will be long forgotten by the time they have a chance for success.

Master Z

Dirtbag 504 said:

Than BAM!!!!

Any gamer who looks at sales more than the games as reasons to be happy about owning a particular console really isn't much of a gamer to begin with...

RBH

PhoenixDark said:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8603/xbox360stockrb8.jpg

jarrod

Banned
puebla said:
so what are the chances of a FFXIII 360 port?
At this point, it'd be more surprising if the "big two" didn't come to 360.

I wonder how portable that White Engine *really* is...

Threi

notag
Master Z said:
Any gamer who looks at sales more than the games as reasons to be happy about owning a particular console really isn't much of a gamer to begin with...

Too bad the PS3 has neither.

Tobor

Master Z said:

More sales = more games = more sales =...

pilonv1 said:

But maybe the extent by which this it totally crushing and destroying for the Nintendo haters is so great, that this is beyond meltdown. Some kind of quantum anti-meltdown state. Gaf is currently in very unstable state, any kind of even slightly favorable statement for Sony or Microsoft, would cause all the defense, spin and damage control to spill out across all the forums, causing something we've never seen before. The internet equivalent of Chernobyl.

Top Bottom