• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Saitou

Banned
dogonfire said:
Wait, does this mean Nintendo's "Three Pillar" strategy is working after all?

pillarvu9.jpg
Medal_of_Honor.jpg

Master Z

the thoroughbred said:
Well i am sure you know this, and you were probably just being sarcastic, but developing for the PS3 costs a lot more than for say Wii. Whereas before the development costs were not too far of from one another. Even then GC was the cheapest, if I am not wrong. Unfortunately the way Sony have glued their back to the wall, PS3 demographic is going to want games that are expensive to make, add this to my previos point, means that its highly unlikely for any developer to feasibly make a game on the platform, unless funded by Sony.

There are some solutions to this. Perhaps companies can use some of the profits from Wii sales to help offset high production costs for PS3/360 games. Middleware like UE3, the Codemasters+Sony engine, whatever Cellius may cook up etc. And as you mentioned, Sony helping with funding. I'm not saying that the PS3 is going to get all the games or more games than the Wii, all I'm saying is that even in the face of Wii domination the PS3 will still get it's share of great games.

Tobor said:
I never said PS3 would get NO games, pay attention. If you can't understand that the losing consoles get less titles than the winning console, than you should bail out of sales threads.

I never dissagreed that the highest selling console gets more games. My whole point here is that those who own or who are planning to own a PS3 should not dwell on the bad sales but concentrate on the games. Especially after today.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Kobun Heat said:
Well, yeah, except this is true for every platform ever.
Unless your system costs $600, you forget that.

I'm still blown away its doing so well when the system is practically a wasteland of content at the moment. Super Paper Mario rocks though.

minus_273

Banned
RiskyChris said:
It's an image I got from Wired magazine =/

It happens more often than you think. People in the west dont see it the same way. There was a mini riot on another major gaming site a few months back when the author used that flag on a post about japan.

Roat

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
According to MS, Roat, the Elite is a limited run SKU. So, really, no conflicts with a near-term price drop.

Unless I've missed something really recent, that's what everyone thought at first, but then Microsoft confirmed that the elite is a permanant SKU

DSN2K said:
Sony simply has to react to this ? they cant let it get any lower, my word 83K ? that is embarrassing.
The current PS3 sales trend point to 65K PS3s sold in May NPD. I think it won't decrease by quite that much, so I am predicting sales of 73k for PS3 for that period.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
speculawyer said:
I believe so. As the father of a daughter that age, it freaks me out everytime I see it. But I've seen a slightly longer version and the kid looks like he/she is starting to get up, so I think the kid was OK.

I am the father of a daughter that age also, and I don't want to see that gif anymore.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Luna104 said:
If you think Sony's just going to sit back and watch the PS3 fail, you're mistaken. The PS3 is way too important for them.

I'm watching them do exactly that right now, and they had better do something price-wise before this holiday, because it really won't matter what games come out.

Eteric Rice

Luna104 said:
No it's not. Eventually Sony are gonna have to drop the price, big time. When it hits 450 (shouldn't take that long the way things are going) and the good games start rolling in, that's when this thing's gonna take off. Playstation is still the #1 console brand.

If you think Sony's just going to sit back and watch the PS3 fail, you're mistaken. The PS3 is way too important for them.

And Nintendo and MS are just going to sit back and let them get back on top?

I don't think so. :lol

GO GO PS2 GO!

dancingps2.gif

PS3 / Sony are getting the ass beating they deserve. Suck it down take all your knocks up front and just drop that shit to $399.99!

I want to love you PS3, but you keep punching my balls. :mad:

Roat said:
Unless I've missed something really recent, that's what everyone thought at first, but then Microsoft confirmed that the elite is a permanant SKU

angelfly said:
They said it was a permanent SKU.

Really? That's kinda dumb. I still don't think a near-term price drop would be too much of a problem. It just means that the Elite stays high...I guess.

Perhaps companies can use some of the profits from Wii sales to help offset high production costs for PS3/360 games.

What kind of business logic is this, again? They're going to sell to a large userbase for the sake of using their profits to sell to a smaller userbase?

Mrbob

While attempting to find MLB 07 PS3 (and failing due to no one having it in stock) yesterday, I notice Wal Mart, Best Buy, and Target all had X360 elite systems piled on the shelf. Next gen is a cluster****. Higher priced systems while the Wii, at 250 bucks, is cleaning house.

MS needs to drop the elite, get the premium down to $299.99 (or $249.99). Sony needs to get the PS3 down to $399.99. No more excuses Sony. In fact, if Sony doesn't drop the PS3 price to $399.99 this year I may sell my system. I'm not holding onto a 600 dollar PSP if Sony isn't going to attempt to make some decent marketshare, therefore getting the system better games, then I'm holding onto a dead platform. Games alone won't make the cut. The system NEEDS to be more affordable.

Are we ever going to get some estimates or something on what is happening in the rest of the world outside US and JPN. I would really love to see the worldwide figures right now.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, you know what I meant. :) PS3 is the new Saturn...except that it doesn't have a pretty good business in Japan for hardcore players.
True...I'd say to a small degree the reverse is true in America. Still though, Square Enix and Konami have to be *kicking* themselves. Well past time to pull a Capcom. ;)

Luna104

Eteric Rice said:
And Nintendo and MS are just going to sit back and let them get back on top?

I don't think so. :lol

I never said PS3 will be on top. I said they will get their act together. I don't think there's gonna be a clear winner this gen.

TekunoRobby said:
I'm still blown away its doing so well when the system is practically a wasteland of content at the moment.
It's because new Wii buyers are perfectly content to play Wii Sports. They don't care that it's nearly six months old.

Eteric Rice

Luna104 said:
I never said PS3 will be on top. I said they will get their act together. I don't think there's gonna be a clear winner this gen.

There likely will be a clear winner, but being second or third won't be so harsh this time around, I think.

Which is good, helps keep the market strong.

Grecco

Master Z said:
There are some solutions to this. Perhaps companies can use some of the profits from Wii sales to help offset high production costs for PS3/360 games.

One of the newer nicer myths on Gaf today.

Never happening. Ever. In the end Game companies want to make money.

MS needs to drop the elite, get the premium down to $299.99 (or $249.99). Sony needs to get the PS3 down to $399.99. No more excuses Sony. In fact, if Sony doesn't drop the PS3 price to $399.99 this year I may sell my system

Go ahead and sell it. The Most Realistic Price Cut in 2007 is 100Dollars.

Tobor

Master Z said:
I never dissagreed that the highest selling console gets more games. My whole point here is that those who own or who are planning to own a PS3 should not dwell on the bad sales but concentrate on the games. Especially after today.

lifeofbrianbp3.jpg

"Always look on the bright side of life, Whee hoo, whee hoo hee hee hee hoo!"

It's great that you are trying to feel good about your console of choice, but this is a sales thread, and we are discussing how borked the PS3 is at retail.

PS: Really borked.

Roat

Banned
The Elite doesn't stop them from dropping the price, but releasing a high-price version before a price drop is going in two directions and wasn't necessary. Now they have the costs of maintaining two different systems for no good reason.

It's not that any of us should care that much about Microsoft's bottom line, but it would have been nice for them to follow the logical pattern in this case and get rewarded for it.

MightyHedgehog said:
According to MS, Roat, the Elite is a limited run SKU. So, really, no conflicts with a near-term price drop.

Is the Elite realy limited? So when do MS put HIDM in the Premium and Core system? When did MS say the Elite is a limited run SKU? I hope the Elite is a limited run because I always thought was stupid,

Eteric Rice

Luna104 said:
Depends on your definition of a "clear winner". At the very least, I don't think any console will achieve absolute domination like the PS2 did.

You might be surprised.

If I've ever learned anything, it's that this industry is unpredictable. :|

jarrod said:
True...I'd say to a small degree the reverse is true in America. Still though, Square Enix and Konami have to be *kicking* themselves. Well past time to pull a Capcom. ;)
I'm sure they've been kicking themselves for a few months now. :lol

sonic4ever said:
Is the Elite realy limited? So when do MS put HIDM in the Premium and Core system? When did MS say the Elite is a limited run SKU? I hope the Elite is a limited run because I always thought was stupid,
I agree with it being a dumb idea, too. Still, I was corrected on the 'limited' part of my post. It's a standard SKU, apparently. Still, I don't see how a price drop in a few months is going to be a problem.

santouras said:

And I don't see what the point in that question is. There is no doubt that alot of current gamers got into gaming with playstation as their first console. And since those days, sony has been on top.

The point was in the way you worded your post ("always"). But I see what you mean and I agree totally.

I wasn't trying to be insulting. Sorry if I came off that way. Personally I've always considered Sony to be a "pretender to the throne", but that's probably because of when I was born. If I had gotten into gaming during the PSX days, I wonder if I would feel differently.

Armitage

"Well they would certain like us to believe they are getting millions of grandmas and grandpas to play videogames, but lets see if these people are playing Nintendo games in ten years. Come census time I doubt they'll be playing much of anything."

:lol :lol He wants old people to die! :(

Master Z

Pureauthor said:
What kind of business logic is this, again? They're going to sell to a large userbase for the sake of using their profits to sell to a smaller userbase?

I said some of the profits, not all. And since Wii games are so cheap to produce they could still make more Wii games while making a PS3 game. I'm not saying this is going to be the default stratgety for third parties, just speculating.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Kobun Heat said:
It's because new Wii buyers are perfectly content to play Wii Sports. They don't care that it's nearly six months old.
The complete dearth of software sales outside of a few titles confirms this.

Branduil

Kobun Heat said:

What' scary is, if it's selling like this now, how will it sell when Wii Music, Wii Health, SMG, SSBB, MP3, and Sonic vs. Mario Olympics hit?

Deku

Banned
Luna104 said:
what about hardcore gamers that are strapped for cash, but chose to go with Nintendo because they love their games and bought into their promises (no software droughts, steady flow of AAA titles, etc).

They'll have more money left over in the bank that hardcore gamers strapped for cash who chose to buy a PS3? Both platforms are in the same situation except one is more than twice the price with no real killer-app.

Master Z

Tobor said:
lifeofbrianbp3.jpg

"Always look on the bright side of life, Whee hoo, whee hoo hee hee hee hoo!"

It's great that you are trying to feel good about your console of choice, but this is a sales thread, and we are discussing how borked the PS3 is at retail.

PS: Really borked.

What where you doing in 2002? Crying over GC's lackluster sales or playing good games like Metroid Prime and Super Mario Sunshine, hmmmmm?

Top Bottom