• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

Ah ok, but why is that either? Does that mean the 3DS and Vita are getting the season pass then?

No idea about vita/3ds, are they even getting any dlc? They're usually a different game ain't they? I suppose a lack of a season pass for the Wii U version could be to make sure there's no repeat of the arkham origins situation (where they cancelled some of the Wii U dlc and had to refund all the season pass buyers)

small44

Madden, like call of duty, is a traditionally xbox franchise. They even have exclusive marketing deals with EA to promote madden as and xbox franchise, so if its still getting outsold by the ps4 version, the bone is in big trouble.

I think madden sold more on xbox last gen is because xbox360 was more popular then ps3 it's not the case now

I'm pretty willing to take Warner Bros. at face value on this too because they'd really obviously release the DLC if they thought it would make money.

I figured it was because Wii U Origins sales were really bad more than how many were buying the season pass

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm pretty willing to take Warner Bros. at face value on this too because they'd really obviously release the DLC if they thought it would make money.

It's one thing to cancel it after the game is released and it sold too little, like in Arkham's case. I don't really get the Lego Season Pass thing though, unless Nintendo put a restriction only on the Wii U (and not the 3DS).

FoneBone

I'm unsure actually, but I was more thinking Warner games on the Wii U in general.

That said I'm not sure if Warner DLC ever released on Wii U.

I believe the initial DLC for Arkham Origins (Initiation) was on Wii U. And they did offer the Season Pass, even though they wound up refunding it when they cancelled a Wii U release of Cold, Cold Heart.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I figured it was because Wii U Origins sales were really bad more than how many were buying the season pass

It could be a combination of both too.

If half as many people buy DLC on the Wii U and you ship very few copies, chances of making money are pretty bad, whereas half as many people buying DLC on a game that sells 500K+ might still be fine.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Minecraft still selling like hotcakes on X360. No wonder Microsoft wants to buy it.

Tamanon

Banned
I would actually be shocked if Call of Duty Advanced Warfare sells more on XBOne than PS4 when it comes out. I think the tide has turned on those games, especially if Destiny grows the PS4 shooter population.

Sony NPD statement:

Below are the PlayStation highlights from the August NPD report:

· PlayStation 4 was #1 in hardware sales for the eighth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.

· PlayStation led the month for next generation software with Madden NFL 15 for PS4 taking the #1 spot for overall software sales.

· Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition and Madden NFL 15 had their strongest sales on PS4 and were the biggest third party releases of the month.

· The Last of Us Remastered continues to have strong momentum on PS4; it was the top selling first-party title in August.

· For the third consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).

Same as always.

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhhhhhhhhh

I just remembered that I expected Madden to sell better on PS4 but not with bundles combined... surprised a bit.

Ty4on

My poor predictions if the WiiU fell off a cliff and XB1 is like 200k XB1 sales weren't close to double.

July sales were 131K for XB1 and MS said it nearly doubled "sales" which most likely means software and hardware revenue doubled, not HW confirmed by insiders. PS4+PS3 is higher than XB1+360. PS3 usually sells 20K less than the 360 so the gap between PS4 and XB1 should be bigger than that.

Edit: Sorry for bad info about XB1. I blame silly MS PR :p
Dear Smokey Dave,

I'm sorry.

-Cos
More bad news :(
Needs more shipments.

Miles X

2 people who actually have access to NPD numbers.

Unless sales went down, my theory of them talking about he last week of Madden could well be true. I really doubt MS are talking about shipped (but that doesn't mean I think they sold anywhere near 260k, I reckon around 160k, maybe a little less as August naturally declines.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That 400 million NFL deal seems not worth what it did for the Xbox brand IMO.

Dear Smokey Dave,

I'm sorry.

-Cos

raining_david_tennant.gif

Vita was too good for this world anyways

KooopaKid

Banned
“When lining up sales of PS4 and Xbox One after ten months on the market,” said Callahan. “The combined PS4 and Xbox One hardware sales are greater by over 70 percent compared to their predecessors.”

I still believe PS4 and XBOX were very frontloaded and launch aligned PS3/360 are going to close the gap.

Alebrije

I wonder if Bayonetta 2 will figure at sales results when released. Wiiu seems returning to oblivion after Mario Kart 8 euphoria

Top Bottom