• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

ZhugeEX

Banned
Let's dance. What's on the line?

how-about-1.jpg

Seriously? You're still willing to bet PS4 install base will be <30m?

So was I. The PS4 number will be *cough*interesting*cough* for comparing how August compares to July.

It's probably 211k.

Papacheeks

Banned
Compare Uncharted Collection with MCC if you want an actual discussion, and even then, Halo still wins.

How so? Uncharted collection isn't even out yet? Are you saying MCC because of how it was bundled?

Uncharted collection is being bundled this year as well.

I mean MCC is a easy sell, but then again, so is Uncharted collection. And it won't have any stigma over it for not running properly.

Faustek

ooh NPD. Forgot.

Anyway, question. So Sony has a colab with Disney for Star Wars, EA has with MS for most things. MS can't do marketing for Battlefront but MS has done "first on Xbox with EA access" for Battlefront. How does that work out? Anyway, yes. Next month will be interesting. Probably skipping Multiplayer only game and going for the Classics.

How so? Uncharted collection isn't even out yet? Are you saying MCC because of how it was bundled?

Uncharted collection is being bundled this year as well.

I mean MCC is a easy sell, but then again, so is Uncharted collection. And it won't have any stigma over it for not running properly.

It will have to be over 1 million by January in the US to be comparable to MCC. You see that happening?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I thought that TV deal would definitely put XB1 over the top. Still, it's good to see the two so close in sales since it's a slaughter everywhere else in the world. A PS4 pricedrop isn't happening, people.

TV deal?

Halo MCC wins because of multiplayer which UCollection does not, do you think Halo MCC will sell great without multiplayer ?

It sold a lot of copies for months with fucked up multiplayer.

longdi

Banned
TW3 dropped like a rock. Such core games despite being well made still can't attract a larger non-core user base. ;(

Papacheeks

Banned
Halo 5's general press coverage and trade show demo impressions have been very positive.

Really? Because E3 chatter for the campaign preview was not among journalists and Gafer's.

That and when the closed beta was out in the wild a lot of people were not impressed with some of the gameplay changes, and also Digital Foundry tore Halo 5 apart with the build they were given as well.

So far there's been more clear, good coverage of uncharted than Halo's campaign. Just recently in past month or so we finally have online matches that showcase the game in a good light.

Who knows, it has a bundle and is getting commercials.

If its hella bundled its possible. Otherwise i dont see how thats possible. But you never know a huge chunk of the PS4 userbase has never played an Uncharted game so I guess it could blow up. Would be surprising though to me if its that high

blakep267

Eh, that one is up for debate. MCC was a pretty big disappointment in sales.
Not really. It did 800k during last November NPD( I believe those are numbers from cream)

And halo lifetime sales jumped 5 million after its release( probably due in part to its sales and bundled copies)

Welfare

Halo MCC wins because of multiplayer which UCollection does not, do you think Halo MCC will sell great without multiplayer ?

Sold based on the past of Halo which was better, not the future. And MCC had MP included. Not really a solid comparison.

Halo still sells on its single player component. Halo CEA did well in its launch month (I think it was >600k) and that was just an HD Combat Evolved with a map pack for Reach, which was sold separately.

Also this shit isn't even a solid comparison to begin with. Let's compare Uncharted 4 with Gears UE, or Horizon Zero Dawn with Tomb Raider.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Not really. It did 800k during last November NPD( I believe those are numbers from cream)

And halo lifetime sales jumped 5 million after its release( probably due in part to its sales and bundled copies)

Uncharted 3 sold 700,000 in November 2011.

Halo still sells on its single player component. Halo CEA did well in its launch month (I think it was >600k) and that was just an HD Combat Evolved with a map pack for Reach, which was sold separately.

Halo MCC sold over 660,000 in November 2014.

Really? Because E3 chatter for the campaign preview was not among journalists and Gafer's.

That and when the closed beta was out in the wild a lot of people were not impressed with some of the gameplay changes, and also Digital Foundry tore Halo 5 apart with the build they were given as well.

So far there's been more clear, good coverage of uncharted than Halo's campaign. Just recently in past month or so we finally have online matches that showcase the game in a good light.

The only concrete "bad press" is the mediocre E3 campaign demo. The beta and various trade show demos are on the other hand positive, I think you should investigate more on that part. I can also counter your DF analysis claim with their Gamescom B-roll analysis, it was a effectively 60fps lock, there wasn't really a "torn part", plus, early builds you know.

Uncharted 4 of course is super hot though.

Jigorath

Banned

Opening under a million was a disappointment for such a high profile Halo title. The franchise usually opens 3m+.

A remaster sold more than a mainline game on a smaller install base.

Thats basically all that needs to be said.

If you guys wanna debate UC4 and Halo 5 by all means go at it. But thinking UCC is anywhere near Halo 5 is crazy talk

Edit: was MCC only 660k then? Hmmm thought it cleared 700k but I guess not. Still though the fact it sold nearly UC3 levels on a way smaller install base should drive the notion home

gtj1092

Not surprised to see some think UC4 can match Halo 5 when we live in a world where I hear splatoon is one of the biggest franchises in Japan after only one game and a few months on sale.

Sold based on the past of Halo which was better, not the future. And MCC had MP included. Not really a solid comparison.
not necessarily. single player/multiplayer/sp+mp games all retail for the exact same price. nathan drake's got one less game but i don't think that's a big deal; the only thing that would make this an unfair comparison is the fact that nathan drake's is releasing a year later.

statham

Uncharted 4 will outsell halo 5 in US.

That is not unreasonable.
Uncharted 4 has better coverage at trade-shows, and is getting a beta with the Uncharted collection that will probably make a lot of people preorder the game.

Add in their marketing will be "From the creators who brought you the masterpiece The Last of Us comes...."
Halo is halo. It has a big following, but one I will say has waned over the past couple years. Uncharted or should I say Naughty Dog have become a bigger name.

Uncharted 4 has been hyped since 2013. Halo 5 has had some bad press, because of coverage issues, and bad demoing at trade shows.
Really think Uncharted 4 because of the bigger install base, will make give it an edge to get better sales in US.

I will take this bet, do you want to avatar bet or something? talkin NPD, even through PS4 has a huge advantage.

not necessarily. single player/multiplayer/sp+mp games all retail for the exact same price. nathan drake's got one less game but i don't think that's a big deal; the only thing that would make this an unfair comparison is the fact that nathan drake's is releasing a year later.

I didn't say it was unfair. I said it isn't an accurate judgement of how popular the two IPs are going forward.

I'm most interested in Halo 5s legs. Unless the game is legit as fuck its going to fall off hard. November is just too stacked right after it. You have Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, and Battlefront hitting right after it

I didn't say it was unfair. I said it isn't an accurate judgement of how popular the two IPs are going forward.
i said unfair as a reiteration of you saying it wasn't solid. but yeah, i think the debuts of halo 5 and Uc4 would be a better indication of what's the bigger franchise nowadays.

Jigorath

Banned
Not really? This was a remaster, not a brand new game.

It was a full fledged remake of the most beloved game in the franchise. And it was bundled with three other Halo titles, with all their multiplayer modes intact. The game was marketed as the killer exclusive to get for the Xbone that holiday. It was definitely a high profile release for the series.

Look at Halo 3 ODST, that was nothing more than a 6 hour campaign with Halo 3's multiplayer mode thrown in. Yet it opened well over a million. MCC's opening wasn't BAD, it was just disappointing.

Eh, that one is up for debate. MCC was a pretty big disappointment in sales.

I really wish people would stop predicting massive sales for Remakes and ports of console games in the west. Unless the port is within a year, it's not going to happen.

Halo 5 will sell massively better than MCC, because 1) it's a new game, and 2) MCC's multi was a disaster.

It was a full fledged remake of the most beloved game in the franchise. And it was bundled with three other Halo titles, with all their multiplayer modes intact. The game was marketed as the killer exclusive to get for the Xbone that holiday. It was definitely a high profile release for the series.

Look at Halo 3 ODST, that was nothing more than a 6 hour campaign with Halo 3's multiplayer mode thrown in. Yet it opened well over a million. MCC's opening wasn't BAD, it was just disappointing.

Halo 3 wasn't remade.

And no major console franchise has had a remake open in the millions. Not Metal Gear, not Zelda, not Halo, not Gears, not Resident Evil, not Ico/SOTC, not Final Fantasy, not Kingdom Hearts. It just doesn't happen.

The vast majority of players do not care to buy their old games again for $40-$60, no matter how much you shine up the graphics.

Top Bottom