• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Gazunta said:
So what are the chances I can get:

Viva Pinata: Party Animals (360)
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night (Wii)
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night (PS2)

plz plz plz plz

You work for Krome; aren't these numbers given to you guys?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
chespace said:
Price and library in year one set the system off on the wrong path.

Now it's just further along down that path. 2008 should help, but in the overall picture, in terms of 3rd party support, I don't think see PS3 becoming parity with 360 ever this generation.

I support this post. Call me a troll, but some people need to de-tint their goggles and look at things straight: unless by the power of divine intervention of some sort, there are not enough steroids in this industry to propell the PS3s sales beyond the 360s.

Third-party PS3 will never trump third-party 360.

However, I own a PS3 and I'm enjoying it moderately. If Sony can somehow generate the funds, maintain the console's solid performance, and continue to release quality titles, it won't matter how well it sells.

frAntic_Frog said:
whats ratchet ps3 numbers for dec and ltd?

I second that.

Jammy

Banned
Raist said:
Almost all major Wii games are listed (major = the ones that sell the best). That would mean like 100 Wii games have sold 70k+ units. Seems highly unprobable.
As for the PS2, just consider the userbase. I mean, 13.5mil. software sold for the Wii would mean that every Wii owner bought 2 games in december. Again, that's hard to believe, considering that Wii SW sales are not really usually that huge.

On a sidenote, what's the point of making tie ratio with monthly SW sales with monthly HW sales anyway ? Because those SW sales surely don't come only from the people that bought a system in december.

I'm not so sure about that. Look at November's NPD figures for Wii games like High School Musical: Sing It, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, etc. These aren't considered major at all, but in November, both games sold over 200,000 (meaning they performed far better than Uncharted even, and about half as good as Rock Band). Both could have easily seen just as big as an increase in sales in December as something like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics had. Don't underestimate the selling power of these types of games at holiday time.

i thought third party support for ps3 and 360 was 1:1 so far....nearly every 360 version gets a ps3 version as well? after all third party wants to "maximize userbase".....as fanboys like to say when trashing certain games that remain PS3 exclusive (mgs4/ff13)

donny2112

Raist said:
Almost all major Wii games are listed (major = the ones that sell the best).

:lol

And you know this because you have full access to the NPD listing?
If you do, I'd love to talk, by the way. :)
If Carnival Games hadn't been pointed out, would it have been a game you would have pegged as selling "the best"? I'd love to see software sales for LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, High School Musical, Madden 08, DDR: Hottest Party, My Sims, and Rayman 2. Since we don't have them, I guess that means they didn't sell that well in the month. ;)

Raist said:
I mean, 13.5mil. software sold for the Wii would mean that every Wii owner bought 2 games in december. Again, that's hard to believe, considering that Wii SW sales are not really usually that huge.

GameCube had this knack for selling poorly all year and then having a larger than normal proportional increase in November/December. Why is it then out of the realm of possibility that the Wii sold ~10 games for every console sold in December?

Raist said:
On a sidenote, what's the point of making tie ratio with monthly SW sales with monthly HW sales anyway?

Nothing earth-shattering, but if your monthly tie ratio is > your LTD tie ratio as of the previous month, your LTD tie ratio will go up. If it's less, your LTD tie ratio will go down.

ksamedi

Raist said:
Almost all major Wii games are listed (major = the ones that sell the best). That would mean like 100 Wii games have sold 70k+ units. Seems highly unprobable.

As for the PS2, just consider the userbase. I mean, 13.5mil. software sold for the Wii would mean that every Wii owner bought 2 games in december. Again, that's hard to believe, considering that Wii SW sales are not really usually that huge.

On a sidenote, what's the point of making tie ratio with monthly SW sales with monthly HW sales anyway ? Because those SW sales surely don't come only from the people that bought a system in december.

Thats a myth and certainly not an argumant to refute what Matt said. There are tons of games that are not listed that could be above 70k.

Lobster

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
And NiGHTS 2 wasn't one of them.

:(

Atleast it looks to go over 200k worldwide. SEGA shouldn't be too angry..I mean..Mario and Sonic.

When this NiGHTS data came in they probably said "we put out a NiGHTS game?"

RBH

Loudninja said:
Hey, when was VF5 for the 360 release?
October 30th.

I'd be really interested in seeing the game's LTD for the 360 and PS3 versions.

Any chance of seeing that, sonycowboy (or driley)?

Weisheit

donny2112 said:
:lol

I'd love to see software sales for LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, High School Musical, Madden 08, DDR: Hottest Party, My Sims, and Rayman 2. Since we don't have them, I guess that means they didn't sell that well in the month. ;)
From earlier in the thread (maybe you already saw them), I know there not platform specific but:
More NPD numbers:

Guitar Hero 2 (375k units)

EA
Sims2 Castaway (322k units)
NCAA (352k units)
Madden (1.86mm units)
Need for Speed (730k units)
Tiger (341k units)
FIFA (519k units)
NBA Live (555k units)
MySims (404k units)

THQ
MX vs. ATV (373k units)
Ratatouille (170k units
Spongebob (271k units)
Nicktoons (175k units)

TTWO
Carnival Games (272k units)
BioShock (123k units)
NBA 2K8 (219k units)
College Hoops (128k units)

Any chance we can get an LTD for:

Bioshock
Metroid Prime 3
Virtua Fighter 5 online
Ace Combat 6
Orange Box
Heavenly Sword
Blue Dragon
Gears of War

Lobster

Banned
Weisheit said:
From earlier in the thread (maybe you already saw them), I know there not platform specific but:

Thats some pretty dissapointing Madden 08 numbers imo. 09 will sell way better.

MySims sold great and even more great in Europe.

Busaiku

Weisheit said:
Tiger Woods and all those licensed shovelware games were probably also big Wii games.

MySims (404k units)

Anyone know what the breakdown was for Wii/DS last month, so we could at least get a rough percentage to go by?

Edit: Also forgot to ask, aren't Madden Wii sales considered really damn crappy?

Lobster

Banned
bishopcruz said:
Edit: Also forgot to ask, aren't Madden Wii sales considered really damn crappy?

Wii version sold 200k as of November. It should've pushed a decent ammount in december.

How many platforms was Madden 08 on?

200k is roughly 1/9 of 1.86 million.

Also, it may be better than any Cube madden..I would need confirmation on that though.

donny2112

bishopcruz said:
Edit: Also forgot to ask, aren't Madden Wii sales considered really ... crappy?

They are considered crappy compared to the PS2/360 but still greatly improved from the GameCube.

Also, did anyone else notice that it was the PS2 version of Madden that made the Top 10 for the year and not the 360 version? 360 games tend to fade rapidly. Flavor of the month and all that jazz. It's a sign of a more hardcore userbase that buys games early instead of late.

Edit:
Lobster said:
Also, it may be better than any Cube madden..I would need confirmation on that though.

It had a larger launch month compared to any of the GameCube Maddens, and most of those had > 100K in December of their release years. Therefore, Madden 08 Wii was most likely one of the games > 100K in December. ;)

Lobster said:
Wii version sold 200k as of November. It should've pushed a decent ammount in december.

How many platforms was Madden 08 on?

200k is roughly 1/9 of 1.86 million.

If it only sold 200k LTD by November that's pretty bad considering that it came out in what? August? I remember it debuting at less than the Xbox 1 version. I have trouble imagining it doing all that well this December.

Lobster said:
They are considered crappy compared to the PS2/360 but still greatly improved from the GameCube.

Also, did anyone else notice that it was the PS2 version of Madden that made the Top 10 for the year and not the 360 version? 360 games tend to fade rapidly. Flavor of the month and all that jazz. It's a sign of a more hardcore userbase that buys games early instead of late.

It's also a matter of the user base being a shit-ton larger than the 360. Early in a system's life, at least until mass-market adoption it's harder for games to have legs because they are selling to a limited number of people. The PS3 is like what 40 mil in the US? That is a ton of customers.

.dmc

Banned
Raist said:
I mean, 13.5mil. software sold for the Wii would mean that every Wii owner bought 2 games in december. Again, that's hard to believe, considering that Wii SW sales are not really usually that huge.

It's Christmas. Wii owners tend to be families. What is so hard to believe? I know this fucks with people's market narratives, but look at it this way, 360 owners are hardcore enthusiast gamers who buy games as soon as they come out, Wii owners are casual gamers who probably get the majority of their games around holiday + sales events. GameCube always got HW/SW spikes in December right? Well now the Wii userbase is catching up to 360s to the point that it isn't outlandish for it to outsell that console at least in December.

Just wait until Wii's userbase overtakes the 360s to the point it outsells them every month, even if 360 has one or two tentpole releases in the top ten every month.

AniHawk

On the whole "13.5m games for Wii in December" thing, there were quite a few people buying games and accessories for the machine even though they did not own one yet. You also have to take into account grandparents buying their grandchildren things in addition to what their parents already bought.

There were a lot of games sold. So much so that the Wii section in our store had to be shortened down because of all the gaps in the wall. And lots of shitty accessories moved too (especially the nerf sports pack thing). It's just extremely popular.

DiddyBop

most new wii games are only 39.99t 49.99. there are about 7 million Wii owners in the US. why is it so hard to believe that on avg, each wii owner purchased 2 games? im sure many wii owners were satisfied wit wii sports only,while some may have bought 1 additional game,and some may have bought 3-4 additional games. its not that hard to believe.

donny2112

Lobster said:
290k by November and possibly 50k for December?

donny2112 said:
It had a larger launch month compared to any of the GameCube Maddens, and most of those had > 100K in December of their release years. Therefore, Madden 08 Wii was most likely one of the games > 100K in December.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I haven't been following...is it true what the Wii-k end podcast said about Wii software outselling X360 software in December? I mean 10 games per Wii sold in December...doesn't that just blow the "3RD party games don't sell on Nintendo" statement outta the water if true?

Chumly

Lobster said:
Oh dam..I keep forgetting. Thanks for clearing that up.

290k by November and possibly 50k for December?

340k out of 1.86 million isn't bad at all..
As donny has pointed out Madden 08 most LIKELY sold around 200k in december on the Wii.

Minimum of 100k

Lobster

Banned
Spiegel said:
But 1.86 million is for december alone (all platforms combined)

Oh shit I didn't know that was for the month 0_o I thought it was LTDs. Dam that just makes MySims even more impressive!

Chumly said:
As donny has pointed out Madden 08 most LIKELY sold around 200k in december on the Wii.

Minimum of 100k

Awesome :D

DrGAKMAN said:
I haven't been following...is it true what the Wii-k end podcast said about Wii software outselling X360 software in December? I mean 10 games per Wii sold in December...doesn't that just blow the "3RD party games don't sell on Nintendo" statement outta the water if true?

Yes. 10 games to each console in December isn't that insane imo..there are now over 7 million Wiis in NA. Everyone would just have had to pick up 1.5 games.

Lobster

Banned
Flakster99 said:
Precisely.

I don't see why everyones doubting it.

They seem to have thought that maybe 1.35 million people bought 10 games with each console.

Matt was just saying that the games sold this month compared to the hardware sales was 10:1.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Lobster said:
I don't see why everyones doubting it.

They seem to have thought that maybe 1.35 million people bought 10 games with each console.

Matt was just saying that the games sold this month compared to the hardware sales was 10:1.

Well obviously that's not the case! However, it seems people still think a 10:1 tie ratio for the month of December is not likely 'cos I think the mantra is: "3RD party games don't sell on Nintendo systems" and this stat just destroys that notion.

Is it denial...or...FEAR?

Sharp

DrGAKMAN said:
Well obviously that's not the case! However, it seems people still think it's not likely 'cos I think the mantra is "3RD party games don't sell on Nintendo systems" and this stat just destroys that notion.

Is it denial...or...FEAR?
I doubt that PS3 or 360 owners are all that concerned about the state of third-party games on Nintendo platforms, to be honest.

Lobster

Banned
Sharp said:
I doubt that PS3 or 360 owners are all that concerned about the state of third-party games on Nintendo platformers, to be honest.

They're very quick to concern themselves when a game does not perform well though.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I'm not quick to categorize all "PS3/X360 people" in that way...just "some people" who are still coming to terms with the reality of Wii being market leader this generation in hardware as well as software now it seems.

Odysseus

Banned
for my part, it's not the number that i question, it's the position. 13.5 million pieces of software or 135 million, it's irrelevant. it's the idea that after months and months of 360 dominating software charts, that wii could come out of nowhere to take december, well, it rings a few mental alarms. if it is indeed true, then wow. good stuff. and it's about time wii owners were heard on the software side.

Flakster99

Odysseus said:
for my part, it's not the number that i question, it's the position. 13.5 million pieces of software or 135 million, it's irrelevant. it's the idea that after months and months of 360 dominating software charts, that wii could come out of nowhere to take december, well, it rings a few mental alarms. if it is indeed true, then wow. good stuff. and it's about time wii owners were heard on the software side.

I think the hardcore gaming segment, including Microsoft NPD statements have done a wonderful job skewing software perception in regards to the Wii.

Also previously mentioned, Nintendo tends to have successful 4th quarter software numbers, factor in a varied casual/core release list, outselling it's main competition 11/12 months of the yr, why not?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Odysseus said:
for my part, it's not the number that i question, it's the position. 13.5 million pieces of software or 135 million, it's irrelevant. it's the idea that after months and months of 360 dominating software charts, that wii could come out of nowhere to take December, well, it rings a few mental alarms. if it is indeed true, then wow. good stuff. and it's about time wii owners were heard on the software side.
"Dominating" is a product of MS' PR machine and not a result of seeing the actual data. MS has always been quick to adjust the standards to make themselves look great (which all PR usually do). In the spring and early summer of last year, when Super Paper Mario and Mario Party 8 were the big games, MS heavily pushed how dominating their third party sales were (this is the time-frame when we first starting hear how no third party games on the rival console had made it into the top 10). August and September were obviously very good months for the system and MS was quick to boast how they made up a majority of next-gen sales. However, in November their PR switched a little, no longer claiming a majority, but just being #1. The Wii was already moving up on the 360 in November and that continued through December.

Looking at just the Top 3 for each system in each month the Wii moves from 2.1 million (November) to 3 million (December) in sales, while the 360 goes from 3 million (November) to 3.1 million (December). That's a huge jump in the Wii's favor that isn't seen on the 360. If the Wii saw a similar boosts in the rest of its software sales, there shouldn't be too much doubt that it could have beaten the 360.

Lobster said:
Yes. 10 games to each console in December isn't that insane imo..there are now over 7 million Wiis in NA. Everyone would just have had to pick up 1.5 games.

It's roughly 2 games/console, NOT just 1.5. That's a huge difference.

Simply stating the "monthly" tie-ratio, especially when it is so much higher than the LTD tie-ratio, is just not enough to make everyone believe without the support of other stats. After all, the "monthly tie-ratio" term itself makes little to no sense at all other than for spinning purpose, since it does not really mean those softwares were all bought by those new buyers of that month

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DrGAKMAN said:

1. WiiSports
2. WiiPlay
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess
6. Big Brain Academy
7. WarioWare
8. ExciteTruck
9. Super Mario Strikers
and I guess #10 can be Carnival Games.

Chumly

AnimeTheme said:
It's roughly 2 games/console, NOT just 1.5. That's a huge difference.

Simply stating the "monthly" tie-ratio, especially when it is so much higher than the LTD tie-ratio, is just not enough to make everyone believe without the support of other stats. After all, the "monthly tie-ratio" term itself makes little to no sense at all other than for spinning purpose, since it does not really mean those softwares were all bought by those new buyers of that month
Seriously people need to stop being so god dam dense. As Donny has already stated its useful to know the monthly tie ratio to know whether or not the overall ratio is going up. Matt used it to give us an idea on how much Wii software was sold. I believe NPD got upset at him for spilling the beans on so much data last month so this month he only gave us a tidbit of information which was very useful.

The only reason its not believable is because it doesnt fit peoples fanboy propaganda.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
AlternativeUlster said:
1. WiiSports
2. WiiPlay
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess
6. Big Brain Academy
7. WarioWare
8. ExciteTruck
9. Super Mario Strikers
and I guess #10 can be Carnival Games.

I think we can be sure that many of those 1st party games aren't doing THAT well now.....

Top Bottom