• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

chadskin

The drop-off for the next-gen consoles, and XB1 in particular, is remarkable. Didn't think it'd go this low just after Christmas..
I guess they both were right to launch their consoles before the holidays, despite some shortcomings in terms of software.

J-Rzez

Lol.

Seriously, people saying "console gaming is dying"? Why? Because:
- ninty released a product people didn't want?
- MS fucked up. DRM. PR nightmare following the DRM feature announcement, with them talking to fans like they're idiots. Less powerful hardware. More expensive. And its key unique features no one cares about.
- Sony is legitimately supply constrained. Its selling everything it ships. Its just now this month getting more, and larger shipments out finally and they sell out in 24-48hrs. They're not on shelves. There's your evidence.

Sony outplayed MS and ninty. And they're legitimately supply constrained. Consoles, ones people want, are just fine.

Yawnier

Banned
It's the new* narrative: if your console of choice can't "win", then clearly it means everyone must lose and the entire game has to have been meaningless to begin with. It's the equivalent of the friend you had growing up who would try super hard to win in a game, but then upon losing toss the controller and declare, "Whatever. This is a stupid game for babies, anyway. You only won because I don't care."

*I mean, it isn't actually new, it was like the sixth stage of Wii-U Grief, but there's some degree of novelty in how fast we're catapulting into it this time.

There is without a doubt truth in this post.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Lol.

Seriously, people saying "console gaming is dying"?

The reason people are saying that is because they are with the mentality of "If Microsoft goes down, then we all have to go down."

Look back to any Xbox One thread about resolution. You'll see lots of people saying "Well, if BOTH next gen consoles can't get 1080p60, then we shouldn't push for that" completely ignoring that the PS4 has hit 1080p60 just fine on most of their titles.

The idea is that if they pretend Microsoft and Sony are in the same boat, even if it's sinking, then that's better for them, because it means they didn't pick the wrong horse. (Yay for mixing metaphors!)

boingball

So now that MS is not leading anymore, no more numbers from MS. And Sony also does not provide numbers. These NPD threads are a wasteland now...

Guys, give up on titanfall ip appearing on ps4. Either it will sell on xbox and MS will pay whatever it takes to keep it, or it won't sell well and it'll be years before titanfall 2 comes out.

"Bububbut respawn said future games for everyone!" you tell me? Yeah, that worked well for this first game, didn't it?

so best to forget about it.

Either Titanfall doesn't sell, then EA might sell it to MS. Or Titanfall sells great, then EA will go PS4 as well. MS would have to pay a billion dollars upwards to get exclusivity.

Mass Effect went to PS3, even the first one originally published by MS. And that was with a stronger MS position.

So is this the part where we start making excuses for next gen?

Because those are some pretty ugly numbers for an industry that's supposed to be growing.

Also.. just want to reiterate, Sony was shifting as much of January's PS4 stock as possible to December for the holidays... they might have not had much left over.. at least for the first couple weeks. That's my conjecture.

Their new console is flopping
The resolution's dropping
The crushed blacks are a'popping
The Xbox family

Bravo.

Wow guess MS can't move a $500 box on Kinect & TV alone. Really curious how this month's NPD will look now that Sony is more than likely stockpiling for the Japanese launch next week

Lmao. I actually own PC, 3DS, Wii U and Xbone. Maybe even a PS4 later this year, not decided yet. I'd call myself a core gamer whatever that means to you and supporting my favourite hobby as best as I can, but I'm also not blind to see what is going on in this industry. I still believe there's going to be a video game crash and this is the beginning of it, but this discussion is off-topic.

Oh, we kinda already knew what platforms you had, don't you worry.

Sony outplayed MS and ninty. And they're legitimately supply constrained. Consoles, ones people want, are just fine.

The problem is that, apparently, the PS4 is the only "next gen" system people want now. And its probably not going to do anywhere near PS2 numbers. So the market is going to shrink a lot compared to the 7th gen.

Taurus

Lol.

Seriously, people saying "console gaming is dying"? Why? Because:
- ninty released a product people didn't want?
- MS fucked up. DRM. PR nightmare following the DRM feature announcement, with them talking to fans like they're idiots. Less powerful hardware. More expensive. And its key unique features no one cares about.
- Sony is legitimately supply constrained. Its selling everything it ships. Its just now this month getting more, and larger shipments out finally and they sell out in 24-48hrs. They're not on shelves. There's your evidence.

Do handheld consoles, or gen 7 consoles exist in your world?

Oh, we kinda already knew what platforms you had, don't you worry.
Well, great. I updated because I sold my 360 and PS3 before christmas for the new systems.

Ishan

Excuse my excepticism when I dont believe the huge company that Sony is wasnt able to produce more than 250k PS4s for the American market, when Nintendo was able to produce almost the double during the Wii crazyness. It is not selling out in the same level the Wii was selling out.

OF COURSE, I dont think the PS4 will nose dive like the Wii did 3 years after the hysteria.

4 weeks vs 5 weeks jan comparision. Wii was a phenomenon ps4 is a great success so far but not a cultural phenomenon.

Sony also air shipped consoles to meet holiday demand = lesser units for Jan. Sony is out in a lot more countries. And many of their strong european markets are very supply constrained (germany has waits till June or July if you order now accoding to a post I read) so redirecting consoles to Europe makes sense. And thats not even taking into account the upcoming Japan launch ... People aren't saying Sony isnt producing enough but taking the 270ish number and taking that as a demand constraint is not correct imo. There is ample demand for ps4. Its constantly sold out in many places in the Us where I think supply has been the most stable.

For example my roommate has been meaning to buy one since late December and he still hasnt tracked one down. (He's a casual so hes not on gaf constantly where it goes up for a few days on amazon and you snag one. Proper supply demand equilazation where a casual can randomly walk into a store and buy one is not the case. Atleast here in the Us where I'm currently (Penn State) )

SparkTR

I'm guessing he like me was not expecting to see Software sales at their lowest point in readily available tracked history (10 years).

People can yell digital all they want, but that doesn't reserve shelf space at our nearby retailers.

Does that have a history of happening after a console launch? games drought and all that.

I don't think you can deny that there were supply constraints with the PS4. However, I do think you can question the extent to which it may have been a problem. This is a difficult thing to guess at, and we'll probably have to wait to see how things stabilize in February and March (if they do indeed stabilize). But if I were to go out on a limb and just take an admitted stab, I personally don't think it was that big of a problem for them. Obviously, they would have sold more if there were no supply constraints at all, but I'm certainly not convinced of #DatThirst (I promise you that I didn't make this hash tag up) being this major problem where PS4s are still selling out almost as soon as they come in.

Still, it put up very impressive holiday numbers, so I'm not going to be too weary just yet. However, if I was someone who was worried about the state of console gaming before the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One, I don't find these numbers very reassuring. The PS4 numbers seem decent, perhaps even good if you allow for supply constraint bringing them down. But if I were heavily invested in seeing any console turn out to be the next unstoppable juggernaut that won't slow down, I'm certainly not uncorking a bottle of champagne looking at these figures.

noobasuar

Banned
console gaming is dying because....

- there's no huge hook like having a dvd player or having a system that can play netflix.

- there's a million different devices that people can use to play games these days with more competitors entering the market everyday.

- consoles sold last gen just off the hype of all your favorite franchises getting bigger and better...... well as it turned out almost all franchises turned into total and utter shit. Can't sell consoles just from hype anymore. Rebranding Versus XIII into FFXV isn't going to fool anyone.

- also developers/ publishers have been treating gamers like trash for years acting like were "entitled" for expecting quality products. Well now all you guys get to reap all the rewards of shitting on your fanbases for years!

The problem is that, apparently, the PS4 is the only "next gen" system people want now. And its probably not going to do anywhere near PS2 numbers. So the market is going to shrink a lot compared to the 7th gen.

But...

PlayStation 4 Had 'Largest Console Launch in History'
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/12/playstation-4-had-largest-console-launch-in-history

How is that possible? So far the PS4 is drastically outpacing the PS2. Saying it's "not going to do anywhere near PS2" numbers is insane with only 3 months in.

My point being that you've got plenty of responses. You never bothered to reply to any of them to elaborate what exactly you're looking for.

Eh, maybe it's because I am new to how this board works, but I didn't see blue anywhere on the posts, that means someone replied to or quoted you, I thought.

Either way, I don't see why you felt the need to post what you did in such a jerk way. More power to you if you wish to act like that though.

The reason people are saying that is because they are with the mentality of "If Microsoft goes down, then we all have to go down."

Look back to any Xbox One thread about resolution. You'll see lots of people saying "Well, if BOTH next gen consoles can't get 1080p60, then we shouldn't push for that" completely ignoring that the PS4 has hit 1080p60 just fine on most of their titles.

The idea is that if they pretend Microsoft and Sony are in the same boat, even if it's sinking, then that's better for them, because it means they didn't pick the wrong horse. (Yay for mixing metaphors!)

That's honestly what it sounds like. MS going down would be bad, sure, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Someone else would jump in. And either way, the Era of Sony/Nintendo wasn't bad, neither was the PS2 era when Sony dominated. I don't see the issue. MS made a product people don't want, too bad, that's how the market works (same for Nintendo).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So now that MS is not leading anymore, no more numbers from MS. And Sony also does not provide numbers. These NPD threads are a wasteland now...

Either Titanfall doesn't sell, then EA might sell it to MS. Or Titanfall sells great, then EA will go PS4 as well. MS would have to pay a billion dollars upwards to get exclusivity.

Mass Effect went to PS3, even the first one originally published by MS. And that was with a stronger MS position.
The big difference is that Microsoft had much stronger first party output back then to offset games like BioShock and Mass Effect 2 landing on PS3 (which never sold nearly as much months after the fact anyway).

Microsoft trying to keep Titanfall off of PS4 doesn't seem like a crazy idea to me. And since EA will be keeping it off of Steam, Destiny will be buying a red sports car for our man urk. ;)

There's also a heavy dose of "look it's not just the Wii U," since people still seem unwilling to accept that its colossal failure is the result of it being a bad product for the market. "It's not the product, it's the market."

if there's one thing third-parties are really good at, it's ignoring enormous userbases.
remember when Resident Evil 4 (port of a game on two consoles already, including one that was playable on the console already), Red Steel, and Call of Duty 3 were all high sellers within the Wii's first year on the market

and then those publishers followed up with tests and mini-game collections which ensured no core gamer would be a Wii loyalist, thus perpetuating a self-fulfilling prophecy that third party games can't sell on Nintendo because every time a cool new third party exclusive was announced for the console (No More Heroes, Bayonetta 2, Epic Mickey, Madworld etc) were announced gamers started bitching about them not being on the other consoles

because I remember that quite well

Toki767

Excuse my excepticism when I dont believe the huge company that Sony is wasnt able to produce more than 250k PS4s for the American market, when Nintendo was able to produce almost the double during the Wii crazyness. It is not selling out in the same level the Wii was selling out.

OF COURSE, I dont think the PS4 will nose dive like the Wii did 3 years after the hysteria.

Producing is one thing. Shipping is completely different. Typically when Sony ships out consoles, it's by boat (since shipping costs are much cheaper). In December, due to demand, they probably moved up part of the January shipments to get them onto shelves faster. So if you wanted to make a good assumption of something like them shipping around 500K a month to the US, 250K of which was shipped by plane and the other 250K being shipped by boat. The first half arrived in December. The second half arrived in January.

Top Bottom