• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

AniHawk

capture1n8j5p.png

Esteemed company there Xbox*

wii u around 20k-22k then

So if that XBO HW number is right then that means PS4 sold around <286k. Wii U first January: 55k, PS4: <286k, XBO: ~143k

That must sting for all those people who kept saying the Wii U's historic failure was a sign of things to come for the PS4/XBO.
I didn't expect One to get that low until around June.

PS4's showing is not quite the Wiilike showing I was expecting in the other thread, but it's a good showing.

This doesn't exactly help me with my "market in free fall feeling".

But in Sony's case at least it shows some life.

Piggus

Sony and MS should really round up these attach rate figures, how can someone buy 2.7 games? Then again, many games these days are released unfinished, so I can see how somee would say that they bought a game which was only 70% complete.

Most people have three games and some have two games. It's not that hard to understand. :p

LOL @ people in this thread predicting doom still.

You do realize that even now PS4 is still far and away the best selling gaming platform in the history of the game industry, right? It may not hold that position forever but people predicting a collapse are morons. It's tracking more than 1 million units above the PS2 in the USA alone.

Thoraxes

LOL @ people in this thread predicting doom still.

You do realize that even now PS4 is still far and away the best selling gaming platform in the history of the game industry, right? It may not hold that position forever but people predicting a collapse are morons. It's tracking more than 1 million units above the PS2 in the USA alone.

I could swear the PS2 and DS were. I think both are over 100M.

kiguel182

No one is talking about it but TR must have sold terrible. 10 overall behind all those old releases in a month it was the only new realse on both PS4 and XBO during a drought. Maybe it should be $30 after all.

I talked about it!

But yeah, I agree with you. SE was not happy with the original sales for it, this probably won't help.

Either the price was too high or people just didn't care for it.

Kolgar

PS4 nearly double Xbone?

WOW.

Going to a pre-Valentine's dinner but look forward to coming back and catching up on the fun!

Dis gon be gud.

Jamix012

Where are you expecting it to lift the market too though?

The market that Sony and Microsoft's consoles serves is reviving due to these launches.
The TTM for Sony+MS consoles was up from 7.3M in October to 8.4M in November.
And again up from that to around 9.06M in December.
We don't have 360 and PS3 numbers but they'd have to sell less than 60K combined for it not to be up again in January.

They're not going to make up for the loss of the Wii Sports/Rock Band crowd.

Obviously 2014 is up on 2013 due to simply having new hardware to sell, but that's not what I'm arguing. 2013 was already an incredibly shitty year for sales that was only excused by many because new consoles were coming soon. I'm legitimately curious if this is down on 2012 total hardware sales. Don't give me "wii casuals are gone," firstly they were already gone by 2012, secondly it's not exactly as if those sales don't count for whatever reason, a contraction in the market is a contraction in the market.

For reference, PS4+Xbone+Wii U Jan 2014 is down on PS3+X360 2007 (without even including Wii) unless Wii U beat everyone's predictions. Not to mention, PS2 was still outselling both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (I beleive. I know the former is true, and I'm pretty sure of the latter.) There's nothing like that this time around. There's no clear group of people buying last gen systems ready, indicating a group of people ready to transition and expand the next generational market. There's no good way to spin this. This is a disaster for everyone but Sony.

Is the Wii U drop people are talking about from Dec 2012 to Jan 2013? [i.e. its first January drop] Or is it for this year's Jan NPD?

Because that drop looks like its from last years

Phediuk

For everyone disappointed at PS4 sales, you do realize that Sony is still selling every single unit they ship, right?

joecanada

The chalkboard only works if you have a bunch of people saying those things will save the X1.

ouch good point. some of those things are said consistently though.

My question is, when does NOTHING get added to the chalkboard

Looking at u WIIU

Linkyn

So based on the Gameinformer info, that's about 57.5k for Wii U, 127.2k for the 3DS

Edit: Nevermind, software sales.

Top Bottom