• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

TomShoe

Banned
I think the real question is whether Microsoft is going to drop the price again this coming holiday. They can't be too profitable with the Xbox One's price being where it is right now. I could wager that everyone is expecting them to lower the price because of the usual Microsoft Holiday Desperation™, but I'm starting to have doubts over whether they'll lower it again. I know Phil said himself that he wants to 'win' this generation, but I don't know if the Xbox team would be able to overpower the wrath of angry investors.

Moonstone

Why 'should' they? What part of winning necessitates a loss of profit?

I think it would be good for their profits, because XboxOne isn't a real competitor for PS4 in EU mainland and RotW, even if it was clearly cheaper.
I'm not saying that I would appreciate that, but I think it would be a good move for them (financially). People who would know about the price difference probably have a PS4 already.
Sony is struggling in the US and they face stronger competition. EU/Rotw sales are still insane. So they should be agressive and even take losses in the US, which they can make up elsewhere.

I have to confess that I mentioned Knack as flamebait/joke ;)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony is struggling in the US.

Um.... What?

Anyway, Sony have already changed the price in certain markets to reflect demand or exchange rate changes. But when it comes to an actual price drop that is something that will be applied worldwide and not something exclusive to the US. Sony would do themselves no favours by just dropping the price in the US.

truth411

I think it would be good for their profits, because XboxOne isn't a real competitor for PS4 in EU mainland and RotW, even if it was clearly cheaper.
I'm not saying that I would appreciate that, but I think it would be a good move for them (financially). People who would know about the price difference probably have a PS4 already.
Sony is struggling in the US and they face stronger competition. EU/Rotw sales are still insane. So they should be agressive and even take losses in the US, which they can make up elsewhere.

WUT? Sony is market leader in the U.S.

If MS bundles it I would expect XB1 version to do more based on that fact alone. MS will move a lot of some kind of bundles this holiday no doubt.
You're missing the point. Witcher 3 had exclusive marketing with XBox One including some bundles if I'm not mistaken, and still sold more on PS4.

Certainly, Fallout may sell more on Xbox One. That possibility has a lot of facts behind it: Bethesda games were typically associated with Xbox last gen, the games ran better, and they sold more on 360 compared to PS3.

But then again, Witcher 2 was a console exclusive to 360 last gen and the sequel still sold more on PS4. PS4 is also likely to sell more copies of CoD, Battlefield, and Battlefront this holiday season. In turn, it might push people to also pick up FO4 on their new CoD box.

I guess MS is on a sinking ship then?

i7hWDF1vc15vz.gif

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I guess this is the best place to ask this...

I want to get a PS4 for FFXV, P5, and Witcher 3... I also have a passing interest in Arkham Knight.

Would GAF Reccommend jumping in now on the Arkham Knight bundle, or wait for a good deal to pop up?

ZhugeEX

Banned

I want to get a PS4 for FFXV, P5, and Witcher 3... I also have a passing interest in Arkham Knight.

Would GAF Reccommend jumping in now on the Arkham Knight bundle, or wait for a good deal to pop up?

Depends. If you want to play Arkham Knight soon then get it now. The bundle is good value.

If you can wait then end of this year should have some good deals.

QaaQer

If you have the money and the time, grab one and enjoy yourself. You'll only end up saving $50 or $70 by waiting.

Moonstone

WUT? Sony is market leader in the U.S.

Yes they are, but their sales are not phenomenal (compared to last gen and/or EU/RoTW). And MS isn't far behind. I think they MS and Sony head to head in the US. The difference is negligable.

So they should be more agressive in pricing in the US. They can do this, without making losses, as the make enough profits elsewhere. Eurape peons won't care (except for the UK maybe). Afterall this is about NPD and the US. I think they easily could do a price cut in the US. If it's 50$ or 100$, I can't say. Don't bother about "struggling". It was meant relatively.

M.D

Yes they are, but their sales are not phenomenal (compared to last gen and/or EU/RoTW). And MS isn't far behind. I think they MS and Sony head to head in the US. The difference is negligable.

So they should be more agressive in pricing in the US. They can do this, without making losses, as the make enough profits elsewhere- Eurape peons won't care (except for the UK maybe). Afterall this is about NPD and the US. I think they easily could do a price cut in the US. If it's 50$ or 100$, I can't say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but both consoles are ahead of where the PS3/360 were at this point in their lifetime

joecanada

ignoring the struggling comment altogether, how do you know this would be good for their profits? you do realize that selling a product at a loss COSTS you more money the more you manufacture right?
At a break even point you make zero money, so profits are the same , zero

break even is probably ok with the PsPlus subscribe rate, but I doubt a loss would be acceptable.

ugh.gif

Special C

ESO selling more on Xbox One shows that the perception that X1 is better for online games is alive and well. (A perception that I believe is grounded in reality)

orochi91

ESO selling more on Xbox One shows that the perception that X1 is better for online games is alive and well. (A perception that I believe is grounded in reality)

If anything, ESO on the PS4 is competing with another massive MMO RPG: FF14.

FF14 also recieved a significant expansion recently, so those players are locked up there.

I'm not aware of any MMO RPG on the XB1 that's comparable to FF14 on the PS4 that would split the fan base; ESO on XB1 doesn't have much competion.

Nutter

These threads are amazing.

Better versions of games and higher user base platforms sell more games regardless of bundles being sold on the competitor platform. That hasn't changed since ages ago, even last gen when Sony was doing marketing deals and bundles, 360 versions sold more and now PS4 games sell better. Why is this a surprising to anyone.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If anything, ESO on the PS4 is competing with another massive MMO: FF14.

FF14 also recieved a significant expansion recently, so those players are locked up there.

I'm not aware of any MMO comparable to FF14 on the XB1 that would split the fan base; ESO on XB1 doesn't have much competion.

Switch phasers to Advance Warfare.

Moonstone

ignoring the struggling comment altogether, how do you know this would be good for their profits? you do realize that selling a product at a loss COSTS you more money the more you manufacture right?
At a break even point you make zero money, so profits are the same , zero

break even is probably ok with the PsPlus subscribe rate, but I doubt a loss would be acceptable.

I don't know this. And never said that I have some inside facts.

What I said is: Sony can afford to make a loss in the US, while being profitable per hardware sold on a worldwide basis. More hardware sold leads to more PS+ subscriptions, more software sales and more PSN movie downloads. If this is worth it or not depends on the loss they take.

The general concept on taking a (mild) loss on hardware is not new.

I just think that a price cut in the US would be a wise investment for them. I didn't say that they should lose 100$ per unit sold.
We've seen all the deals Sony did and now they have a new sku. 350$ wouldn't necessarily lead to a huge loss. At least this is my assumption.

BTW: The concept to lose money on US consoles and make it up elsewhere isn't new.
Console hardware has always been the cheapest in the US. The US market isn't the strongest for Sony anymore. See Ubi earnings report. So Sony is in a good position to drop the price in the US if they maintain the price everwhere else.

Loudninja

If anything, ESO on the PS4 is competing with another massive MMO: FF14.

I'm not aware of any MMO comparable to FF14 on the XB1 that would split the fan base; ESO on XB1 doesn't have much competion.
Not to mention all the other F2P MMO games lie Planetside 2.

Sony getting money from PS+ is not a sure thing .
Yes as more consoles sell they going to get more subscribers but after a while it will drop .
There are a lot of factors at play .

Corto

Sony getting money from PS+ is not a sure thing .
Yes as more consoles sell they going to get more subscribers but after a while it will drop .
There are a lot of factors at play .

It won't drop until the platform starts winding down. The subscriptions will increase for 3-4 more years. Money in the bank.

Rymuth

In this thread, I have learned two things

• The difference expanding from 680k to <750k actually means the gap is shrinking
  • Beating the competition on their home turf is struggling

Wonder what's gonna happen when the gap crosses 1 million...PS4 officially declared dead?

Keep in mind ESO sold more on XB1.

Not saying that is a reflection of what will happen with FO4 but its possible Fallout could do more on XB1
Legit point. I didn't realize that. It's an even stronger point since didn't ESO get a beta on PS4 first or something? I dunno, I feel like PS4 had more marketing for that one.

So yea, I guess the takeaway is that sometimes games with exclusive marketing still sell better on the competitor's console.

Corto

In this thread, I have learned two things

• The difference expanding from 680k to <750k actually means the gap is shrinking
  • Beating the competition on their home turf is struggling

Wonder what's gonna happen when the gap crosses 1 million...PS4 officially declared dead?

The gap is expanding at a shrinking rate. :p

It won't drop until the platform starts winding out. The subscriptions will increase for 3-4 more years. Money in the bank.

Yes it will increase but at what rate.
Will dropping the price by a $100 going to be off set by PS+.
Keep in mind it will take Sony years to get that money so it's a balancing act.
For short term and long term profit .

Yes in my mind. I stated it as opinion not fact. But thanks for clarifying for everyone else.

ESO on XB1 also has no competition in the form of FFXIV Online, which is proving to be doing pretty well on PS4.

Your opinion seems a bit baseless and is a big stretch. There are plenty of MP focused games that have sold more on PS4.

Corto

Yes it will increase but at what rate.
Will dropping the price by a $100 going to be off set by PS+ .

Not immediately but for sure in the long run for the platform life cycle. Any user subscription loyalty will bring more money the earliest it's achieved. I'm sure Sony has those numbers and will pull the trigger at the sweet spot.

Top Bottom