• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Ashodin

olOgyfz.jpg

yeaaasss the spin is working

Authority

Banned
I wonder just how bad Vita and 3ds sales are this month! :-

For some reason I am laughing my ass off with this quote:

Titanfall doesn’t drive Xbox 360 sales because of course it wouldn’t

Since the launch of the PlayStation 4 in Japan, the company’s PlayStation Vita handheld has seen increased sales. Of course, with the latest Media Create hardware sales charts for March 17th to 23rd, the gap between the PS4 and 3DS XL has been vastly reduced and it’s still somewhat of a close battle.

That doesn’t mean the Vita didn’t win out though – it sold 35,374 units in the past week, most likely thanks to the release of J Stars Victory VS while the PS4 managed to sell 30,201 units. The 3DS XL managed 28,291 units this past week, up by a good 6K units from the prior week and likely due to the release of Mario Party: Island Tour. If you take into account the 11,985 units of 3DS hardware sold, then Nintendo’s handheld stands tall in this past week’s charts.

Original Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/03/media-create-sales-31714-32314

April NPD will give us a true look at what the rest of the year will look like.

As Titan Fall and the effect of the price cut wears down, we will see the true demand for the console.

The PS4 will likely drop as well.

FiggyCal

Banned
I feel the software line-up isn't great year over year at this point either.

Last March was BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, God of War, and Gears of War.

This year the profile of titles doesn't really compare.

Maybe May?

There's only so much money to spend. I think hardware being up 78% can forgive software sales from being down.

Tiamant

Okay, enough of this console war nonsense, let's talk about what matters.

SQUARE-ENIX MOVE YOUR ASS AND MAKE FFXII HD, NOW!

Alchemist

Not surprised personally. The demand is high for the PS4 and with the increased stock for the launch of Second Son and Ground Zeroes, it wasn't going to take all that much to win the month.

It's going to be a tough ride for Microsoft leading up to E3.

Occam

It's not over yet but it's pretty much there short of some massive Sony cockup.

They have the weaker console.
They have a more finicky architecture.
They have less experienced first party studios.
They're still recovering from bad PR.
They're behind on indies.
They're behind on volume.

this is worse than Sony's PS2 to PS3 cockups

You forgot more expensive (to make).

FZZ

Banned
That's for the month, right!? Not LTD, I hope!

It's definitely not LTD. I think it's for the month.

Actually that brings up the question, does the Xbox One still have a higher software tie in ratio than the PS4? Or did the PS4 pass it with its recent sales?

Man with all this going the PS4s way I hope they don't get sloppy over at Sony.
I love competition between these companies. Early price cuts and sweet bundles for all the consumers. Cant wait for E3!

Good on Sony this month.

Just wanna say for the people saying the XO is in less countries:

In Belgium, the Xbox One 'officially' comes out next september. However since February you can find it in any shop (imported from Tier 1 countries)... and yeah it doesnt sell. PS4 is still hard to find by the way..

It's a bit funny how so many GAFers seemed certain that the XBO would beat the PS4 in this month's NPD. I never really understood what they were basing that on, and I still don't.

In the echo chamber of core gaming websites people were convinced Titalfall would have a bigger impact than it did. Plus there was the XB1 being closer than expected to the PS4 last month, people just assumed that would be an easy win for the XB1 this month. I really didn't see a clear outcome.

Yoda

A substantial price-drop before the holiday's seems likely at this point. But price-parity wouldn't allow them to regain marketshare, they'd have to actually cut below what Sony is charging. Given the X1 is now starting to be viewed by common consumers as having inferior hardware it's unclear to me if this would reverse their fortunes. Also there are some cases where drastic price-drops negatively affect consumers view of the product. Perhaps Microsoft can be satisfied with having no main market? As long as the division isn't living off the companies more lucrative divisions it could be seen as a serviceable (not the right word a bit tired)? Either way I know companies don't care about who "wins" a month of sales, but the fact that they couldn't even keep week over week sales higher than last month with a price-cut, a killer-app, and lord knows how much advertising; Mr. Spencer really has his work cut out for him.

hohoXD123

And how do you know that? Because they told you. Do they provide a verifiable source that says otherwise? No, they don't.
And what verifiable sources are there exactly? Why doesn't MS just turn around and say that they sold 8 million worldwide if it's so easy to get away with straight up lying? This is some conspiracy level shit.

Cess007

And to think there were people who said that this month will see how the Xbox One will overpass the PS4 in LTD sales in USA. Anyway, the only thing i care of the Top10 is that FFX HD charted and hopefully that means FFXII HD soon!

LegoArmo

The gaming landscape is so different to what it was 8 years ago. Tough to come back from this.

I'm waiting for that £299, 2 games, 1 year of Live bundle.

Top Bottom