• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

QuikNez

Ouch, the biggest exclusive IP of the year couldn't put it in first.

What were te PS4 numbers? What was the gap between the two consoles?

Averon

Selling only 311,000 Xbones is nothing short of disastrous.

The Xbone had TF, deep discounts, and MS marketing muscle. Despite all that, they could only muster 311,000 units in a 5 week month.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
maybe next year when we're comparing everything to this year.

yea that's what I'm thinking too.
There has to be a tipping point when spending starts increasing software over hardware. it's to be expected it's down now, I suppose, given how current gen isn't outpacing previous gen decline. but attach rates are still pretty decent.

Asd202

If FF XII HD somehow doesn't happen Kitase is full of shit. Well actually I think he is but this will just prove this point further.

nynt9

13914988055_217e130ed7_o.png

We need to add Directx 12 and Phil Spencer here

Miles X

Nah I honestly can't tell with sales threads anymore. The rampant fanboyism is getting too much. Makes it hard to get actual numbers and who actually cares about sales or just about how their favorite console is "winning". And I mean there's nothing wrong with that, but having a circle jerk going on in a sales thread is distracting.

And I presume the Wii U at least did better than last month, unless DK really did help it sell an extra 10k units or something...

What's that got to do with my post?? I am curious what all the other systems sold and wanted to know what the 60k figure represented.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Grats to respawn, especially after seeing the final hours thing yesterday on how development went down. Also happy to see Dark Souls above MGS.

MS is pretty much forced to cut the price soon. Wonder how aggressive they'll be here.

Well said all the bought 10/10 reviews couldn't push it over.

You should check the metacritic because this never happened.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GAF has a short-term memory. I guess we should've given up on the 360 and PS3 after the Wii gained an enormous lead. Competition doesn't exist on GAF, apparently.

We're too busy making stupid Microsoft jokes and banning their people from posting on here to pay attention to that system.

Nothing brings out persecution complexes like NPDs and reviews.

Price drop in 3, 2, 1...

we're already seeing what a xb1 price drop would do. Since the last 2 weeks of March the xb1 has been selling at a cheaper price than the ps4 ($450 - $60 for Tfall or Forza) and even then it doesn't seem to be giving them the expected boost.

I can't see a single month in the foreseeable future where the Xbox One outperforms the PS4.

This is absolutely absurd. I thought March was a shoe-in for XBO and TitanFall.

How the hell?

tuffy

Did anyone else think before now that Titanfall just wasn't a system seller?

It's literally a death match only game. I wanted to play it but I just don't play that much online, competitive games. I was sooooo close to buying this game but I just couldn't bring myself to drop $60 on a death match only game.

Another question. Do you think it would have fared better and helped the Xbox One if it had a full fledged single player campaign?
Even Quake 3 Arena had bots to fight if one just wanted to play single player.

I think Titanfall would've had broader appeal if it had some sort of single player campaign.

Amir0x

Banned
Actually, it's worse.

It's on top of NPD. It was a system seller.

But it was the only system seller. People in January and February bought the console JUST to wait for Titanfall, months later. So it was spread out over the entire quarter due to anticipation and the logical assumption that there'd be no price drop so soon after launch.

The scarier thing to imagine is April. Now that Titanfall is out and sold, the multi-month anticipation, artificially inflating numbers, is gone.

Well if the theory is true that it was a system because it was spreading out its 'sales boost' through Jan and February, then it would follow that there must be a huge drop in April or at least by May. So we'll know soon enough. That would be really ominous though for Microsoft.

hohoXD123

Of course they did. I'm just citing the obvious hypocrisy of the team players. It's definitely a fun thing to watch.

Now I wish someone would address the point about combined sales figures. That's very interesting and I'd love to get some honest opinions. Why would a company need to combine sales figures with their previous hardware? You don't see this with the Wii / Wii U or the 360 and the Xbox One. That stuff is always sorted out in their company reports.

And does anyone think we'll get a solid PS4 number? Because if it's much higher, say in the 400k range, this thread will go atomic.
What honest opinions do you want? It's a ridiculous suggestion. They're not combining figures to get that 7 million figure, that would go way beyond simple spin.

Slermy

This thread is going 200 MPH but if someone sees this post… how could there be a 28 percent drop in software sales but 78 percent increase in new console sales?

That doesn’t seem right. Or does that not include digital sales?

Software is cheaper, so generally more of it is sold.

Comparatively, hardware is expensive and fewer are sold.

For illustration purpose, imagine someone buying 100 games last year, and one console. However, this year they buy only 70 games this year but pick up both an Xbox One and a PlayStation 4.

gioGAF

Wow, I can't believe it! Even as a staunch Playstation supporter, I did not think PS4 would outsell the Xbone in March (Titanfall+bundle+discounts).

Congrats! I wanted to be a part of this glorious thread as well, thanks to all for their awesome contributions in gif or written comedy form!

On a more rational note, I am happy that the XBO isn't actually flopping on the levels that Wii U is, simply because I guarantee you that Sony wouldn't be heralded as the Messiah if there was no one forcing them to be the better choice.

Competition is, and will forever be the true king.
Outside of the US it kind of is judging by those shipped to retailer numbers. How much have they actually sold to consumers outside of the US since they announced that 3 million number to consumers at 3.9 million to retailers at the end of last year? In December.

It seems like Xbox One sales have only grown by a million this whole year so far. The US seems to be accounting for basically everything for Xbox One

I'd be very interested on how it aligns to WiiU. I have a feeling it's going to look similar

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

Did you have a response ready if MS won? If so what was it? I would thoroughly enjoy reading it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yea that's what I'm thinking too.
There has to be a tipping point when spending starts increasing software over hardware. it's to be expected it's down now, I suppose, given how current gen isn't outpacing previous gen decline. but attach rates are still pretty decent.

I feel the software line-up isn't great year over year at this point either.

Last March was BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, God of War, and Gears of War.

This year the profile of titles doesn't really compare.

Maybe May?

What honest opinions do you want? It's a ridiculous suggestion. They're not combining figures to get that 7 million figure, that would go way beyond simple spin.

And how do you know that? Because they told you. Do they provide a verifiable source that says otherwise? No, they don't.

TrueGrime

Consoles are selling. This is good. Quite the surprise for the XBO, though. Which is also good because this should force their hand to announce a cheaper SKU at E3. It's almost guaranteed this time.

What's with all the doom and gloom though? LoL. Both consoles are here to stay.

Lemondish

Was following the 7 million PS4s thread all day at work (slow work day) and was making note of everybody who made ridiculous predictions of Xbox One sales going through the stratosphere after bish's bunker opened. I was going to throw all their best quotes into a giant post (for posterity!) but thought against it thinking it was terribly unsportsmanlike and would have likely gotten me banned.

So, tell me GAF...did I make the right choice?

Top Bottom