• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

smurfx

get some go again
Don't be coy. You know entirely what I mean. Anecdote: My gf has sunk countless dozens of hours into her mobile games but has never demonstrated any interest in spending a single penny on console or handheld gaming. She demonstrates no patience or interest in doing so, and she is as stereotypically representative of the "casuals" as it gets. Mobile games are designed for an entirely different audience. Any mobile game designer can tell you that. Play more mobile games and you'll see how bloody obvious it is. Blaming mobiles for Vita's failure is just lazy and wrong. The 3DS's relative success (11+ million sold?) should tell you as much.
new gamers don't need a handheld to get entertainment on the go anymore since smartphones have replaced them. many of the gamers who bought gameboys and ds consoles have moved on. don't know if they moved on to smartphones but they aren't there anymore. who was sony selling the vita to? whatever market is left is probably sticking to nintendo handhelds and the 3ds isn't doing that great either.

The platform breakdowns for GZ are really interesting. I thought that would be a game that did far better on PS3/360 but that's clearly not the case.

It sold much better on PS4/XBO than PS360 in most (all?) PAL countries too. Only in Japan it did better on last gen.

Yeah it's not, but it's become pretty obvious that the market for a dedicated handheld that emulates a home console experience is pretty small. Most people don't want those type of games on a portable. That market has shrunk significantly from the PSP days to now.

If that were true, then why have 42.74 million 3DS been sold worldwide?

new gamers don't need a handheld to get entertainment on the go anymore since smartphones have replaced them. many of the gamers who bought gameboys and ds consoles have moved on. don't know if they moved on to smartphones but they aren't there anymore. who was sony selling the vita to? whatever market is left is probably sticking to nintendo handhelds and the 3ds isn't doing that great either.

47.4 million 3DS have been sold worldwide as of January. I'd say that's pretty good. Like I said earlier, the kind of games you'll find on 3DS (or Vita) are entirely different in depth and breadth from what you'll find on mobiles. The problem isn't with the market. It's with Sony's approach.

Could Vita be so low because Sony announced the Slim 2000/Borderlands bundle and people are holding out for the new model?

I'm not saying Vita numbers will suddenly jump to 100k when it releases, but this isn't the first time we have seen low sales while people hold out for the new version.

Yes, it sounds like retailers are waiting for the bundle to arrive and Sales should be better than 10k, but still fairly low.

And I:SS sold amazingly well here, it only had 11 days, it wasn't given away on a price cut console, and is available on one platform and stilll nabbed second. It also had terrific marketing, although Titanfall was showing up during college basketball, during commercial breaks of The Walking Dead etc. Titanfall definitely had a bigger push in the states.

And I'm not trying to discredit Titanfall, it succeeded in becoming the top game this month, the only thing it didn't do was be the COD killer Xbox was hoping for it to be and shift enough systems to beat Sony this March.

However, that's Microsoft's deal, like I said, Titanfall did more than well enough for itself.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The thirst. It's out there and it's real.
So congrats, Sony. The US will be yours until the holidays at least.

But meanwhile, Europe is starving for PS4's.
Jesus christ, pre-orders are still being fulfilled, some of which have been placed months and months ago.
The PS4 sales worldwide stand to increase waaaay beyond their current numbers simply by increasing production and adequate supply towards Europe.
You done won the US, Sony. It's time to come home.

As you said, "the thrist is real":
iNwvl9tf24aeA.gif

Mind to share the exact numbers? I thought DS sales were significantly higher at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

Date Japan Americas Other Worldwide
2004-12-31[1] 1.45 1.36 0.03 2.84
2005-03-31[2] 2.12 2.19 0.95 5.27
2005-06-30[3] - - - 6.65
2005-09-30[4] 3.63 2.87 2.34 8.83
2005-12-31[5] 5.70 4.63 4.10 14.43
2006-03-31[6] 6.91 5.11 4.71 16.73
2006-06-30[7] 9.24 5.90 6.13 21.27
2006-09-30[8] 11.52 7.51 7.79 26.82
2006-12-31[9] 14.43 10.18 11.00 35.61
2007-03-31[10] 16.02 11.74 12.52 40.29
2007-06-30[11] 18.11 14.14 15.03 47.27

The DS sold much better in the U.S. at the equivalent point in its life, but worldwide figures aren't much different.

SmokyDave

It took about 3 years for the DS to sell as many as the 3DS has sold so far. The 3DS is about 3 years old too. They're selling at more or less the same pace.
The DS was at 65 mil by this point, with 330 mil units of software sold. The 3DS has sold a third less hardware and half as much software.

Edit: from your own link, it was at 64.79m WW by 31/12/07.

The DS was at 65 mil by this point, with 330 mil units of software sold. The 3DS has sold a third less hardware and half as much software.

Edit: from your own link, it was at 64.79m WW by 31/12/07.

The world economy was in better shape at that time too. So can you really chalk it up to a shrinking market, or are people just more selective about their entertainment spending?

Steroyd

Jesus christ, pre-orders are still being fulfilled, some of which have been placed months and months ago.
The PS4 sales worldwide stand to increase waaaay beyond their current numbers simply by increasing production and adequate supply towards Europe.

I wonder how much more Sony would need to supply Europe, if they're selling near 400k in the US and they're claiming 1 million sold a momth, that means roughly 600k is being supplied everywhere else, which I assume Europe gets a large chunk of because lol Japan.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Everything I could say right here has been said already.

No-one saw this coming, X1 taking march NPD was a lock.
Even i'm blown away that Sony managed to come out on top, and not by a small margin either.
The hype, the deals, the bundles, the pre-march sales bump. I thought the people who were predicting the PS4 to take the number one spot this month were delusional.

The thirst. It's out there and it's real.
So congrats, Sony. The US will be yours until the holidays at least.

---

nlQYG3I.png

SmokyDave

The world economy was in better shape at that time too. So can you really chalk it up to a shrinking market, or are people just more selective about their entertainment spending?
Ah, I'm not doing the 'is the handheld market really shrinking' dance. The numbers speak for themselves.

Goalpost moving.

The 3ds sales are lower than of the Nds and there were additional tens of millions of Gba and Psp sales.

allan-bh

Titanfall is very impressive, I was expecting something like 700k at best.

It sold similar to Gears of War, but Gears was out in november on a bigger install base.

So again, your resorting to the "because that's what they told us" argument.

I guess there's only one way to discover the truth. Someone will have to take a look at their next quarterly and yearly financial reports and simply do the math. If the numbers add up then we know they're being honest. If they don't then someone has the basis for a truly popcorn worthy story.

Lol, Joe Incognito revealing himself, post by post. His posts in the 'Should Microsoft make Sony go First at E3?' thread are beginning to make sense now.

Vita at 10K is absolutely diabolical. E3 is their absolute last chance to do something with it, maybe cut the price rock bottom and include a 64Gb card, hoping people buy games on it or sub to PS Plus.

Shame, as I love that thing, but it's a rapidly dwindling market and I'm not sure they can do anything to even make a modest success. At least it'll always have fan good will.

SmokyDave

Numbers need context. So no, numbers don't speak for themselves.
The 3DS has no meaningful competition in the dedicated handheld market, and no piracy to bleed off software sales. Regardless, it has shown a large decline from the DS and, if current trends continue, the gap will grow further. It has an attach rate of less than 4 titles per device. It's doing about as well as the PSP did, IIRC.

The Vita is irrelevant in the west, and only relevant in Japan because the rest of the market is sliding into the shitter. It won't sell a quarter as much as the PSP did.

Meanwhile, smartphone and tablet gaming has exploded. The economy hasn't stopped the iPad selling like crack-laced chocolate, nor has it stopped people buying expensive phones like they gave candy-coated blowjobs.

Ok. As you wish. The Vita's failure has nothing to do with Sony's approach. There is literally nothing they could have done to make it a success.
Sony could have done better with the Vita, but the handheld market would still be contracting like a startled sphincter.

Beefy

Damn, well I did ask what would happen if PS4 beat Xboxone this month a few weeks back. I am guessing this is what happens..

What I take from all this..is that users don't like a lot of platforms in there living room and just want the bests.

Why get a vita and 3ds which one has the best games? Which one costs less? Which now has Mario? (Sony really screws up with the no monster hunter here)

Same applies to home consoles. Which has the best games? Which is cheaper? Which has cod/gta?

I think the biggest things to take away is Sony not understanding the price sensitivity for the portable market and blowing and opportunity to have the first year on the market to themselves by having titanfall on there platform as well. Seriously there would have been no reason for even the most loyal xbox fans to purchase a console if tf wasn't exclusive. Id say that's a loss for Sony and respawn for not reaching more people with there ip, but PC release was really smart.

On the portable side it's a shame that the vita doesn't have games like mh or bravery default and it's taking so long for a true portable minecraft. Does Sony plan on just reiterating on vita models and putting the tech into there tablets? That's the only thing that makes sense in how non aggressive they've been with getting the big games in the platform. you need to sell to kids and adults not teenagers who are on there cellphones and going out a lot. 3ds is proof that you can sell to audience with even in the mobile world, but there needs to be bigger games on vita period if Sony wants it to reach even 15 million sales. I'm not sure even minecraft can boost it that much.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder how much more Sony would need to supply Europe, if they're selling near 400k in the US and they're claiming 1 million sold a momth, that means roughly 600k is being supplied everywhere else, which I assume Europe gets a large chunk of because lol Japan.

Whatever they are shipping currently, it's not enough.

Three month+ delivery estimates are ridiculous.
Average prices here in the Netherlands are going up thanks to this drought and i'm not willing to pay €70 / €80 extra just so I can get my hands on one a bit sooner.

screenshot2014-04-18as3oma.png

(blue line is average price for retail and webstores, source is tweakers.net)

kyser73

It really isn't. From personal experience, I saw advertising that was heavily in favour of I:SS. The ads were literally everywhere with TV ads running almost non stop, it played in front of every single movie in the cinema as well as bus and tube ads. And let's not forget it sponsoring Agents of SHIELD.

In comparison, I saw no cinema ads, hardly any TV ads and very few bus/tube ads for TV.

It was an ad campaign that surpassed that of The Last of Us in my opinion. It was huge and rightly so, the game is amazing and Sucker Punch deserved to see the series finally become a huge success.

Given that you are smack on the target audience I'd say that represents media buying that was well done, which is why you have the impression of blanket coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

Date Japan Americas Other Worldwide
2004-12-31[1] 1.45 1.36 0.03 2.84
2005-03-31[2] 2.12 2.19 0.95 5.27
2005-06-30[3] - - - 6.65
2005-09-30[4] 3.63 2.87 2.34 8.83
2005-12-31[5] 5.70 4.63 4.10 14.43
2006-03-31[6] 6.91 5.11 4.71 16.73
2006-06-30[7] 9.24 5.90 6.13 21.27
2006-09-30[8] 11.52 7.51 7.79 26.82
2006-12-31[9] 14.43 10.18 11.00 35.61
2007-03-31[10] 16.02 11.74 12.52 40.29
2007-06-30[11] 18.11 14.14 15.03 47.27
2007-09-30[12] 19.71 16.06 17.88 53.64
2007-12-31[13] 21.66 20.18 22.94 64.79

The DS sold much better in the U.S. at the equivalent point in its life, but worldwide figures aren't much different.

There I completed it for you.

Abylim

That Amir0x Meme is lol worthy. Boy was he way off xD

As a Playstation centric gamer, I have to say though, like the PS3 turned shit around, MS still has a chance.

Very interesting to see PS4 take the top spot this month though. Seriously thought MS had a winner here with Titanfall

The 3DS life isn't over yet. PSP's life was what, 2005-2011? When 3DS has had 7 years on the market it will have caught up to the PSP.
US sales:
Code:
         3DS 2013   PSP 2007   NDS 2007
January      145        211        239
February     189        176        485
March        230        180        509
April        113        183        471
May          114        221        423
June         225        290        561
July         150        214        405
August       130        151        383
September    220        285        496
October      452        286        458
November     770        567       1530
December    1100       1060       2470
            3838       3824       8430

3DS 2014   PSP 2008   NDS 2008
January       97        230        251
February     155        243        587
March        159        297        698
April                   193        415
May                     182        452
June                    337        783
July                    222        608
August                  253        518
September               238        537
October                 193        491
November                421       1570
December               1020       3040
              411      3829       9950

It sure is catching up with PSP.

In January, Microsoft announced they had shipped 3.9m two months after launch. From Jan to April, they shipped a further 1.1m. This means retailers are slowing down their purchase because of weak demand and unsold stock. This fact alone will guarantee a price cut at E3. As Major Nelson says, Microsoft know what they need to do.

Vashetti

Banned
I know but considering that there were major AAA releases on both next gen consoles and the small nature of GZ I didn't expect for it to be affected as much.

Everybody wants to buy games for the 'new & shiny' consoles now.

Even those who don't own them yet.

Game Guru

The 3DS has no meaningful competition in the dedicated handheld market, and no piracy to bleed off software sales. Regardless, it has shown a large decline from the DS and, if current trends continue, the gap will grow further. It has an attach rate of less than 4 titles per device. It's doing about as well as the PSP did, IIRC.

The Vita is irrelevant in the west, and only relevant in Japan because the rest of the market is sliding into the shitter. It won't sell a quarter as much as the PSP did.

Meanwhile, smartphone and tablet gaming has exploded. The economy hasn't stopped the iPad selling like crack-laced chocolate, nor has it stopped people buying expensive phones like they gave candy-coated blowjobs.

Sony could have done better with the Vita, but the handheld market would still be contracting like a startled sphincter.

To be fair... 3DS ending up with PSP-like sales would mean it will achieve 80 million lifetime, which means it could very well match the 360, GBA, and/or PS3 sales as well. That would be very good for a dedicated handheld in a world of smartphones. Pretty much, Vita died as a platform when Monster Hunter was announced as a 3DS exclusive as that meant all the Monster Hunter fans who had been the reason why PSP was as successful as it was moved from the PSP to the 3DS. Essentially, 3DS replaced the PSP as a platform for PSP-like games just as smartphones replaced the DS for DS-like games, which was a smart move on Nintendo's part but left the Vita in its current anemic state.

Top Bottom