• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Principate

Saint Titanfall
M°°nblade;108619578 said:
Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

Eh..... I highly doubt the channel is that stuffed. you don't just stuff a million + units in the channel and expect retailers to pay for that inventory space. You'd hear far more reports of retailers sending that shit back. The amount of space that would take up is no small thing.

Vashetti

Banned
so i have been thinking about this. as a proud new owner of xbox (and PS4), i have to ask, should i be worried about the developers now shifting their focus from the xbox one and only on PS4 ?so we will stet getting bad ports etc ?

i mean, i really love my ps4. but i am honestly currently enjoying the xbox way way more than with titan fall, forza and KI. i have Infamous but i am not playing it much.

and this kind of sales figures worries me. considering that i honestly believe MS should have and must have won march sales. it was only fair. lowering the price and including the biggest game.

titalfall to be honest in my eyes is the best fps game i have ever played. that includes COD and BF. not about the graphics of course but the fun and the bass in this game is just god damn amazing.

PS4 is already the lead platform for development for most multi-platform games, which are then downported to XB1.

It's just the nature of the beast. PS4 is more powerful, easier to develop for, and selling the most.

MS will also struggle from now on to secure exclusives from third parties, because as we've seen with Titanfall, they can't afford now to miss out on those lucrative PS4 sales.

Guymelef

Eh..... I highly doubt the channel is that stuffed. you don't just stuff a million + units in the channel and expect retailers to pay for that inventory space. You'd hear far more reports of retailers sending that shit back. The amount of space that would take up is no small thing.

At the end of past year there was 900k in the channel.

pixlexic

Banned
GT brings up a good point.

Sony touted 1 million preorders for second son, then turn around and declare 1 million sold in 9 days?

kind of weird.

You're ignoring the imports.

Pretty much all tier-2, and even tier-3 countries are carrying a certain amount of imported XB1 stock.

Well, as for now, it's possible MS only sold 3.5-4M consoles through (half of PS4). But you have to keep in mind the gap is widening mainly because the XOne has yet to launch in many EU countries.

It hasn't launched here but you can buy it in every store. Dozens of them.
You "can" but nobody does.

I'd wager it's ready available in most countries in Europe.

Sell through is likely higher than that.

As for the latter comment, the European territories in which it has yet to launch are relatively small compared to France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, which collectively comprise something like 85% of the European market. I doubt that they account for the something like 1.5M difference in Europe.

It's more likely the gap is widening because in these major European territories the PS4 is simply selling better.

Loudninja

Sony touted 1 million preorders for second son, then turn around and declare 1 million sold in 9 days?

kind of weird.
Its not weird at all, preorders do not equals sales.

This wasn't true. That was insidePR bullshit.

The only thing Sony touted about SS was that it was tracking above TLoU pre-orders in the UK in the same period of time that both games were open for pre-order.

No numbers were touted at all.
Right,even if it was it still means little.

Culex

Banned

If there is even 20 extra xboxone just sitting at each retailer, it adds up. Assuming 10000 retailers in just the USA, that's 200,000 stuffed

kind of weird.

This wasn't true. That was insidePR bullshit.

The only thing Sony touted about SS was that it was tracking above TLoU pre-orders in the UK in the same period of time that both games were open for pre-order.

No numbers were touted at all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

kind of weird.

Can you link to the official Sony PR where they declared 1 million pre-orders? All I remember reading is UK pre-orders for Infamous are higher than TLoU were.

Edit: Oh, just insiderp bullshit that was locked on GAF. I guess made up stuff that is discredited on GAF is now "Sony touted".

Edit 2: Oh pixlexic. ;-)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dreamcast, March 2000:

Dreamcast, March 2001:

Wii U, March 2013:

Wii U, March 2014:

Dreamcast, January - March 2000:

Dreamcast, January - March 2001:

Wii U, January - March 2013:

Wii U, January - March 2014:

Dreamcast LTD (March 2001):
3.16 million

Wii U LTD (March 2014):
2.30 million

Where are the Dreamcast numbers from?

SmokyDave

Why do Vita owners keep visiting this thread it's like they want their day ruined...
They'll build up a thick skin sooner or later. I didn't even bat an eyelid at 10k. Just shrug and move on. Indies aren't going to stop developing for it, neither are Japanese devs. It's a shame that the US market clearly doesn't want the Vita, but ultimately it's of no consequence.

spliced

WOW is Vita doing bad. I thought the Wii U was bad but Vita is only a 7th of Wii U lol. I can understand why though it's gotta be the biggest rehash machine I've ever seen.

In the past generation, there always was a couple of million units difference between sold and shipped numbers of PS3 and X360 hardware respectively.

So having at least a million units at retailer inventory space worldwide seems pretty normal to me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If there is even 20 extra xboxone just sitting at each retailer, it adds up. Assuming 10000 retailers in just the USA, that's 200,000 stuffed

Retailers have to pay for that storage which is what your not understanding. They sure as hell aren't going to order more stock of something that's taking a large chunk of their inventory space.

Inventory space is not cheap.

kind of weird.

Wasn't that a million in 9 days worldwide? Touting preorder numbers is foolish because people cancel or never pick up. I know I've canceled many times.

SmokyDave

WOW is Vita doing bad. I thought the Wii U was bad but Vita is only a 7th of Wii U lol. I can understand why though it's gotta be the biggest rehash machine I've ever seen.
Rehash? I can only assume you mean 'port'.

Well.. at least a minor bump should occur.
Not necessarily. Misguided animosity toward the LCD display and the constant refrain of 'nobody wants Borderlands 2 on Vita' suggest that nothing is guaranteed.

EGOMON

Is it safe to say that this gen race is already decided?
I mean even if XBO achieved parity with PS4 in NA, Sony has the rest of the world locked i don't think XBO can sway tier 2 countries on their favor.

Anyway am not into XBO doomed parade it is obviously doing just fine its just PS4 is smashing expectations.

Tobor

Vita has a new hardware revision coming out. 10k is most likely a result of the the OLED units drying up before launch.

It's clearly a conspiracy. And if they lied about that, they'll clearly lie about anything. This throws into question all their PR numbers. I bet they've only actually sold like 4M.

Loudninja

Is it safe to say that this gen race is already decided?
I mean even if XBO achieved parity with PS4 in NA, Sony has the rest of the world locked i don't think XBO can sway tier 2 countries on their favor.

Anyway am not into XBO doomed parade it is obviously doing just fine its PS4 that smashing expectations.
Its not safe at all anything can happen.

But Sony has a big advantage one that will be hard to overcome.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
M°°nblade;108620001 said:
In the past generation, there always was a couple of million units difference between sold and shipped numbers of PS3 and X360 hardware respectively.

So having at least a million units at retailer inventory space worldwide seems pretty normal to me.

That that's when you get to established products that have sold 10 of millions not a new relatively expensive product that isn't clearing stock. Eventually, MS will be able to stuff the channel like that and retailers accept it but this product has only sold a few million isn't flying off the shelfs and is at the beginning of it's lifespan. It just seems very weird that the Microsoft actually managed to stuff more products in the chanel since the end of the year and retailers actually bought it rather than selling what they already had in the slowest months of the year.

Hahaha. In case you missed it single player FF as a series has fallen like a rock this gen in the west. From a million seller that was XIII to 350k with XIII-2 and even less with LR and X HD. Also you can't resurrect what is dead.
Hahahahaha wait, what?

Too funny, too funny. The sad thing is I think you might actually believe yourself.

This makes no sense. Why would you worry, you own both systems? Buy the muliplats on PS4 and keep your Xbox for it's exclusives if you like that sort of thing.

As for who "deserved" to win or what's fair, the market has spoken.
But it's only right that since Titanfall came out and iss the best game evar that MS MUST WIN NPD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They deserve it!!!

It's slightly more complicated. See these posts from Aqua

NPD receives raw POS information from retailers like Wal-Mart and GameStop every month. That's all they get.

If a special GameStop pack-in bundle rings up as two separate items (normal PS4 SKU and normal Infamous: Second Son SKU) then NPD has no way to determine that Second Son was sold as part of a bundle.

However, if the specially-manufactured Titanfall Xbox One combined bundle with the fancy packaging sells, NPD can recognize that it was a distinct bundle sale.

I believe it's only official Manufacturer bundles that are not counted. You know, the ones with the distinct boxes where the game is packed into the box.

fnZuwOi.jpg

Retailer exclusive bundles like GameStop's bundle gives you the normal hardware but packages the game separately. I believe those are counted.

AxnY1uy.jpg

Sell through is likely higher than that.

As for the latter comment, the European territories in which it has yet to launch are relatively small compared to France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, which collectively comprise something like 85% of the European market. I doubt that they account for the something like 1.5M difference in Europe.

It's more likely the gap is widening because in these major European territories the PS4 is simply selling better.

You have a point there.
I only know that Belgium and the Netherlands are still waiting for the XOne to release in september...
It's possible to import one from Germany but that's more for the hardcore. Currently, distribution and marketing in Europe is a big mess.

If things continue the way they do, we might be looking at a 2:1 ratio between PS3 and XBone sales.

And they were come unto a time called March NPD, that is to say, The time of a final judgement, he gave gamers a shooter to play, mixed with mechs: and when they had tasted it, they would not buy. And when they had crucified him, Sony, Amazon and Valve parted his IP among them, casting lots; and they sat and watched him there. And they set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS XBOX® ONE™ THE ALL-IN-ONE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM. Then are there crucified with him two robbers, EA on the right hand and Zynga on the left. And they that passed by railed on him, waggling their arms in front of his camera, and saying, Thou that createth DirectX, save thyself: if thou are the Son of Microsoft, buy your way down from the cross. He bought exclusive games; his own success he cannot buy. He is the King of the Living Room, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe on him.

Now from the sixth hour there was silence from the XBOX division. And about the ninth hour The One cried with a loud voice, saying USA, USA why hast thou forsaken me? And the One cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit. And behold, the Gaming Age Forums were rent in two from the top top the bottom; and the ban hammer did fall and many avatars of the followers that had believed in him were forcibly exchanged.

That that's when you get to established products that have sold 10 of millions not a new relatively expensive product that isn't clearing stock. Eventually, MS will be able to stuff the channel like that and retailers accept it but this product has only sold a few million isn't flying off the shelfs and is at the beginning of it's lifespan. It just seems very weird that the Microsoft actually managed to stuff more products in the chanel since the end of the year and retailers actually bought it rather than selling what they already had in the slowest months of the year.
Stock is moving briskly enough in the US though, and has been reasonable in the UK particularly post-drop. I imagine most of the 1.1M channel refill is to those two territories and the channel may still be comparatively well full in continental Europe.

Faustek

so i have been thinking about this. as a proud new owner of xbox (and PS4), i have to ask, should i be worried about the developers now shifting their focus from the xbox one and only on PS4 ?so we will stet getting bad ports etc ?

i mean, i really love my ps4. but i am honestly currently enjoying the xbox way way more than with titan fall, forza and KI. i have Infamous but i am not playing it much.

and this kind of sales figures worries me. considering that i honestly believe MS should have and must have won march sales. it was only fair. lowering the price and including the biggest game.

titalfall to be honest in my eyes is the best fps game i have ever played. that includes COD and BF. not about the graphics of course but the fun and the bass in this game is just god damn amazing.

Uhm, why worry about XBO ports if you own a PS4 as well? Just prefer the controls?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Last-gen sales have fallen off a cliff since the year started.

Still feel like there is an untapped market there, but with the mainline versions of both consoles still being $250 you aren't hitting that. The current market segment has moved on to an extent.

Give me a $150 PS3 or an $130 360 base model and let me see how things go.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Everybody wants to buy games for the 'new & shiny' consoles now.

Even those who don't own them yet.
This is true. I waited for Rayman Legends on PS4 since I would rather have it on the console I'll he playing for a longer time and with a better controller despite there being pretty much no improvement in visuals and framerate. Waiting for an inevitable South Park port as well.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's slightly more complicated. See these posts from Aqua
Fair enough, but creamsugar has also removed PC sales from the Titanfall numbers, so Aquamarine doesn't know what creamsugar counted. Or maybe she does, but she hasn't revealed it.

MilkBeard

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

55-oh-you.jpg

I'm a little late to the party but whatever. It's always funny when this shows up.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see healthy sales for bother consoles and software starting to shape up well, and damn that PS4 is going beastly (and deservedly so). I don't get the doom vibe I am getting from people here considering how many units both have sold thus far compares to the previous competition. I prey for both to continue to do well as I would never want a one console market as lack of competition would be a very bad thing for the gamer/consumer in my opinion.

Top Bottom