• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

It was a figure of speech, http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/to+eat+crow It's very common.

Except that I'm not speaking figuratively at all.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160460836&postcount=1036

The fried crow I've had didn't look all that different from fried pigeon:
d4WoJIs.jpg

Those meat hats in the earlier pages looked delicious....

There was a bacon hat! *drools*

Kill3r7

From what I remember in the digital PSN rankings for March Bloodborne outsold Battlefield. So, theres a slim chance overall sales are close to even.

They were 1 and 2. So it is certainly possible. BB sold incredibly well when you consider that 1)Hardline came out a week earlier and 2) was on sale for $40 at BestBuy. That said BF is a huge franchise and no one should be surprised by its performance at this point.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
ps4 still in that weird spot between great for sony and soft for a market leader. i think next year will be the big year for growth, but not so sure about 2018 onward. depends when the 2013 systems get down to $200 and less.

I think having titles like Batman Arkham Knight, and MGSV (even tho it's cross-gen) should help a bit this year. I also think a bunch of Western titles are becoming PS4/XB1 only?

Mory Dunz

Looking at the LTD, at what percentage will many developers and third party publishers start to think the bone marketshare won't be worth it? Will the gap widen fast enough that we'll see this before the gen's end?

lol

EDIT:
Meaning, it won't get to that point.
Except for possible rare specific examples like a KH3 or something. (I really doubt KH3 or FFVX will be cancelled for xbox though. It's just what people are bringing up.)

NateDrake

ps4 still in that weird spot between great for sony and soft for a market leader. i think next year will be the big year for growth, but not so sure about 2018 onward. depends when the 2013 systems get down to $200 and less.

Part of me expects the PS360 to never get below $200. They'll just fade away with cheap holiday bundles and suddenly no longer be available as new.

They were 1 and 2. So it is certainly possible. BB sold incredibly well when you consider that 1)Hardline came out a week earlier and 2) was on sale for $40 at BestBuy. That said BF is a huge franchise and no one should be surprised by its performance at this point.

I forgot about the best buy sale for BF:H. That might have been the catalyst that pushed hardline over bloodborne on the individual charts.

Looking at the LTD, at what percentage will many developers and third party publishers start to think the bone marketshare won't be worth it? Will the gap widen fast enough that we'll see this before the gen's end?

its only a 4 percent difference and porting costs are minimal. That moment won't come for a long time unless its a game like FF that sells 4 to 1 on PS.

GamerJM

Banned

It still has enough of a market share for devs to support outside of niche ones, its architecture makes porting relatively easy. Hell PS3 circa 2007 was doing poorly and third-parties still ported games to it despite their unfamiliarity with the architecture.

Wow at the FF breakdown, even though it's to be expected.

It's no surprise that pretty much every Japanese game is a PS4 (and/or PS3) exclusive at this point outside the big stuff.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if KH3 reverts to being an exclusive. I'm not sure if being multiplat would help the title given all the past titles have been on Sony systems and that's where the fanbase lies. Put the release date in a good month, call it an exclusive and I'm sure it would make up any sales you'd lose on an XB1 version.

Bgamer90

Banned
Looking at the LTD, at what percentage will many developers and third party publishers start to think the bone marketshare won't be worth it?

Heh, I would say the system is safe in terms of getting a lot of third party support for the rest of the gen. The system's userbase is buying many core games.

allan-bh

What? No they won't. Especially considering it's being made on Unreal Engine now so development for the Xbox One version isn't some total pain in the ass.

I can see that happening considering Xbox One is losing badly in Europe, is dead in Japan and is strong in USA but this type of game doesn't appeal to the demographic.

Let's say that FF XV opens on NPD with the same sales of FF XIII (1.3m, and I'm being generous because franchise looks weaker now). If almost 80% sales are for PS4, XOne version will open with less than 300k.

A small piece in USA, even smaller in Europe and nothing in Japan will be enought to justify more suport? Maybe, maybe not.

Mory Dunz

Do people.....want KH3...to be exclusive or something?
Like, honest question.

Even it bombs accross the board on Xbox, it'd still pull a few hundred thousand (WW).
If that's enough for SE, then sure. Who cares?

Presonally, I really can't imagine an xbox version is that difficult to make, but then again, what do I know

Now...about getting FFVX and KH3 on PC though heh

KHlover

Banned
Oh, i'm talking only anecdotal evidence :)

So we can declare a winner in the epic tearaway-w101 battle of the great-game bombas?

I think we got the numbers 1-2 pages ago. W101 won in the US :p
Like, honest question.

Even it bombs accross the board on Xbox, it'd still pull a few hundred thousand (WW).

Presonally, I really can't imagine an xbox version is that difficult to make, but then again, what do I know

I think Final Fantasy XV on PC is a given. Not directly on console release or maybe even 1-2 years later, but Square Enix porting so many Final Fantasy games to PC in the last two years can't just be a coincidence.

Kingdom Hearts 3...I certainly hope so since porting shouldn't be too hard with UE4 and it would save me 400€, but right now I don't think there's any indication it will ever come to PC.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The 100k gap being a bit tight is disappointing but WHO AM I KIDDING? I was right!!!!!!

white-kid-dance-club.gif

Lol anyway......I think we ought to brace ourselves for a dark April.

Like, honest question.

never, cause VX isn't a valid number :p

82.5K => First 3 months for Wii U up by < 20% YOY (~_^)

there are plenty of places for previous rounding errors

Bgamer90

Banned
Like, honest question.

This is pretty much how I feel. If they are going to get a ton of money from PS4 sales then I don't see a big risk in making an easy/quick port for XB1 even if it sells far less. Putting games on various platforms helps introduce those franchises to more people (obviously). I would assume that most devs would prefer to have their games on both systems than just PS4.

The 100k gap being a bit tight is disappointing but WHO AM I KIDDING? I was right!!!!!!

white-kid-dance-club.gif

Lol anyway......I think we ought to brace ourselves for a dark April.

What do you mean? Low sales?

I really wish we could get worldwide numbers more often because that is much more important to PS4.

madmackem

This is pretty much how I feel. If they are going to get a ton of money from PS4 sales then I don't see a big risk in making an easy/quick port for XB1 even if it sells far less. Putting games on various platforms helps introduce those franchises to more people (obviously). I would assume that most devs would prefer to have their games on both systems than just PS4.

Comes down to cost at the end of the day, if they start to see the numbers not make sense then they we will see them starting to drop Xbox, I can't see it anytime soon But who knows.

Kill3r7

I'd honestly assume that people stopped buying Tearaway from Vita once they heard the PS4 version was coming. Even before that W101 was further ahead, so it's not too surprising.

I bought Tearaway day one and absolutely loved it (easy platinum trophy) but to be fair sales died off long before the PS4 announcement. Terrible idea on Sony's part to release a new IP/vita game during the Holiday season.

Top Bottom