• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

CLEEK

I feel sorry for Capcom. They release a great product in Street Fighter V and people didn't appreciate it.

That's the point. They didn't release a good product. Hence the massive critical and commercial fallout. They knowingly rushed out an incomplete game to meet other criteria/targets, hoping that consumers would be OK with this. They weren't. It can't have been a legitimate surprise to Capcom. It was a calculated risk, and Capcom made the wrong call.

If they'd waited 6+ months until they had a completed product to sell, the response would have been entirely positive. The core fighting mechanics are wonderful. Everything else about it in its current form stinks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice.....Division and Primal #1 and #2 respectively. I love UBI!!!!!!

Street Fighter V needed to be multiplatform. With very few exceptions, platform exclusive fighting games simply don't sell. A majority of PS4 players would be casual or weekend warriors and SFV got slayed in steam reviews. If Xbox was somehow included then it would chart easily.

The game is already on death row. Gives Tekken 7 a chance to steal fans.

actually it's because DOA3's U.S. version and the MK games were broken and/or not fun to play but that was a creative theory, i must say.

It's really as simple as that. And people's whose tastes don't align with what people play and view the most will always be alleging a capcom conspiracy. Despite SFxT getting immediately thrown in the shitter and MVC3 Vanilla well on its way there before Ultimate came out. and CFE ignored completely and etc. etc.
That wouldn't surprise me. IIRC DOA3 came out only a year after DOA2's home ports to DC and PS2. Even at the time it struck me as a pretty tech demo.

MK...well MK was MK. Fun for casual play, nightmare for tourney play until the more recent games.

Hyun Sai

SFV numbers are in fact relieving. Consumers are not THAT dumb to make a ghost of this unfinished fighting game sold 60$ enter Top 10 NPD, even with Capcom and Street Fighter on the box.

Street Fighter V needed to be multiplatform. With very few exceptions, platform exclusive fighting games simply don't sell. A majority of PS4 players would be casual or weekend warriors and SFV got slayed in steam reviews. If Xbox was somehow included then it would chart easily.

Releasing on ten more platforms wouldn't have saved the game, let alone one more.

Guessing we don't have any concrete numbers yet, yea?

Don't really feel like trekking through the same SFV talk that's bound to occur every now and then.

It saddens me that we're sort-of surprised Twilight Princess HD and Pokkén made it to the top 10. But, on the bright side, they made it to the top 10, so I'm happy.

Tekken 7 will not steal SF fans, the people who are SF fans in fact really enjoy SFV. Just look at SF forums/threads and the massively increased tournament turnouts and pre-registrations.

qcf x2

The game is multiplatform. That has nothing to do with it, stop.

Reset

Arcade mode would've prevented this entire mess!

just...arcade mode and that's it.
It would have sold millions!, millions I tell you, if they didn't ruin Ken!!! All this confirms is that people buy SF to play as Ken, and when you fuck up Ken like that. No one wants to buy this shit.

Jo6e3zv.gif

So much crow lol

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077850

Glad to see I wasn't wrong. Phew.

It will do terribly because no one will want to buy the game once they see how Ken looks like.

Guessing we don't have any concrete numbers yet, yea?

Don't really feel like trekking through the same SFV talk that's bound to occur every now and then.
This should be the last month....hopefully. I'm flipping a table if it is brought up again next month. Ain't nobody got time for that with stuff like Ratchet and Clank, Quantum Break and Star Fox coming.

Seriously though, like I said in the other thread, they should have just released the game in the summer, right after EVO. People would still be high on EVO hype and most importantly, they would have had a more complete product.

It'd be out for the start of the 2016-2017 FGC season (even though Capcom cup would have been a bit wonky) and there'd be no competition to go against as well.

rhandino

Banned
All this SFV talk. More people need to realize Primal is number 2 in its second month.

Like damn
Is that surprising? The buying public is always here for some Far Cry action and Primal is an excellent game.

Ubisoft remains unbothered as always since they keep releasing quality products that cater to the mainstream taste perfectly.

The gameplay is great and I'm glad it got into the hands of pros so early cause E3 is gonna be nuts.

But the overall product is pretty damn far from great.

you mean evo right?

Honestly, Street Fighter V faceplanting isn't great for top players of the game. Whatever future lies for the game, there's less likely for there to be huge prize pools...which destroys anyone's attempts into making competitive SF their career.

Spectating the game early is good for stream monsters though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why has it suddenly become 'eating crow' when someone gets something wrong? It seems to me an aggressive and negative approach.

Is that surprising? The buying public is always here for some Far Cry action and Primal is an excellent game.

Ubisoft remains unbothered as always since they keep releasing quality products that cater to the mainstream taste perfectly.

Yes that's surprising.

That's a ridiculous hold. Granted it had a short time on sale in February but it's still hella impressive.

I feel sorry for Capcom. They release a great product in Street Fighter V and people didn't appreciate it.

There wasn't any content there for them to appreciate!

I can marvel the intricate details of a game's mechanics and player balance all I want, but that isn't what most consumers are going to bother to do. They want to sink their time in cool, awesome content that isn't tied to competitive multiplayer, and lots of it. For them the game absolutely fails on that note so they voted w/ their wallet and decided not to buy it.

Free market at work, essentially. Either convince them how the multiplayer content is worth the price of admission on its own or give them the non-competitive single-player content experience they want. You can't realistically do the latter b/c you aren't the game dev, but a lot of SFV apologists absolutely suck ass at convincing more casual players legit reasons to invest in the game for its current multiplayer options.

And b/c of that they ridicule the casuals, b/c they can't articulate why the person who doesn't care about being another Diago or Ross or Wong should still want to play competitively online.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Like the majority of games this generation, Street Fighter V needed to be delayed six months, period.

Moving on...Ubi, Ubi, Ubi....im so happy!!! :)

Im trying to understand that.... did i miss something with the sfv chest bumping thats dominating this thread...
The same thing happened with Tomb Raider too.

Okay, it bombed. That'll teach bad ol' Capcom or whatever. Do we need to go on and on and beat the crap out of that dead horse?

That "great product" is the most content starved fighting game released in the last 25 years and the only Capcom fighter in history where you cannot have a standard 2/3 round match with the CPU.

But it's an online focused fighter! Except it didn't even have a rage quit solution until two months after release. Even Pokken had one at launch.

This turd deserved its sales.

QaaQer

Yes that's surprising.

That's a ridiculous hold. Granted it had a short time on sale in February but it's still hella impressive.

It is a great take on a stale formula, so impressive? Certainly, but not necessarily surprising except insofar as it came from ubisoft. :p

Bleh. I couldn't imagine a less interesting pair of games to reach the top positions, but that's the American audience for ya. Doesn't give me much hope for Dirt Rally's numbers next month. Kind of happy to see Zelda and MLB The Show up there though.

lmao, blaming the audience when the game does not meet expectations. I guess people's appreciation of the previous game, Street Fighter IV, and that game's resulting success...was all just pure luck, right?

Can't say I'm surprised about SFV falling out the top ten. Even though the core gameplay is solid, Capcom flubbed the release, plain and simple. They got what they bargained for with this ill-thought business practice. I challenge that if the game was released (either now or later in the year) with substantial content--and on another point, a stable online infrastructure-- the critical and commercial reaction would had considerably different.

It's about standards, really. You can't just release the SFV that was released in February, and expect it to be just acknowledged as "different" by the masses (or at least, you can't just expect them to do so and still buy it anyway). Expectations transform paradigms in qualities, and that's why the small base content, online functionality, etc. was criticized. I feel stupid for stating something so obvious, but that's what it is.

You don't buck the trend with customers' basic expectations, you certainly don't factor out the mainstream market entirely when determining how you release your title and support it. Especially when your game is a "next-gen" full-price retail title and a direct sequel to a IP as historic and major as Street Fighter. Releasing SFV in the state it was in --or alternatively, making the initial state of the game the "official" or wide release of the game-- content was a awful move all around.

There wasn't any content there for them to appreciate!

*rest of post*

Exactly this!

LTD? Not quite. Almost.

Jiminy Cricket...

In other news, thats 5 straight nod wins for the ps4, how long can they keep the streak going?

MS has only 1 month this year they have an actual shot at outselling PS4 imo and that's Gears 4 month. That game has to be damn good and Sony not having a major counter for that month in order for it to happen though

MS has only 1 month this year they have an actual shot at outselling PS4 imo and that's Gears 4 month. That game has to be damn good and Sony not having a major counter for that month in order for it to happen though

Sony's going to have their hands full with PS VR in October. They're going to do just fine I think.

labaronx

So October which would make it a full year... wow

To be fair most Sony AAA exclusives title aside from uncharted 4 (come on) and bloodborne has failed miserably financially imo. I think Microsoft exclusives are doing better.

creatchee

Why has it suddenly become 'eating crow' when someone gets something wrong? It seems to me an aggressive and negative approach.

Because, in that thread, there was quite an aggressive and negative approach towards those, like myself, who suggested a number that was lower than the average numbers being thrown around.

Top Bottom