• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

I think digital is increasing rapidly. Like REALLY rapidly.

I know this is a few pages back but a year or two ago midnight launches were still a thing for these sort of games and now I hear people talking about buying digitally so it is ready to play at 12:01 AM. Most stores here don't even do midnight launches anymore. So I think preloading has a big impact.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Also that's just incredible...

3DS 2014
January - 97,000
February - 153,000
March - 159,000
Q1 - 409,000

3DS 2016
January -70,000
February - 176,000
March - 171,000
Q1 - 417,000

Good year 2016 so far. :)

Despite MS being up YOY (albeit not a lot) it's got to sting that they still lost out handily to Sony. Yet there was a nationwide price drop, trade in program at GS, Division bundle and marketing surrounding it.

If they can't relaunch the system well with the incoming revision/slim then I don't think there is anything left they can do to win in the US anymore.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out what in the absolute fuck Capcom was thinking with Street Fighter V. I mean literally what the fuck.

Kusagari

Capcom monumentally fucked up with SFV.

But the sales show that the game likely wasn't going to be hugely successful regardless of what they did at $60.

More and more fighters might have to experiment with KI's model in the future.

I'm still trying to figure out what in the absolute fuck Capcom was thinking with Street Fighter V. I mean literally what the fuck.

They had a marketing deal signed with a locked in release date and a tight budget and dev cycle. They tried to sell people the idea of a service/evolving fighting game that would help hide the fact that it was made on the cheap and relatively quickly. Remember, capcom didn't want to make it until Sony paid for it.

They then sold that game at $60, forgetting it's a a budget game and marketing it like it's AAA.

Fady K

Amazing for Nintendo. Pokken in particular did better than I expected. Good for the 3DS too! As a big Vita fan, i wish the system was even half as successful in sales.

Street Fighter 5 - some people thought I was way off a few months ago when I said it will likely not do well at all due to the very limited content, even when something like Battlefront can do amazing numbers. Sad numbers. Not sure if Capcom will turn it around.

The big surprise for me this month is the Xbox One being ~80,000 behind the PS4. I really thought with the Division push and the new price the XB1 would easily be number 1 this month.

farisr

Capcom monumentally fucked up with SFV.

But the sales show that the game likely wasn't going to be hugely successful regardless of what they did at $60.
How? If anything, the sales show the opposite. Mortal Kombat's success, and it's repeated success (charting again on the NA and EU PSN top downloads for March 2016 with a new $60 release with SFV nowhere to be seen) shows that a lot of people will pay $60 for a fighting game if there's substantial amount of content, even if the game is a year old.
More and more fighters might have to experiment with KI's model in the future.
I do agree that the state that Street Fighter V was/is in, Capcom would've been better off going with KI's model rather than a full $60 release. Lower initial entry price would've set better expectations, less negative reactions, less negative word of mouth, and would've been better received in general. But I hope low content releases don't become a common thing for fighting games.

casiopao

Amazing for Nintendo. Pokken in particular did better than I expected. Good for the 3DS too! As a big Vita fan, i wish the system was even half as successful in sales.

Street Fighter 5 - some people thought I was way off a few months ago when I said it will likely not do well at all due to the very limited content, even when something like Battlefront can do amazing numbers. Sad numbers. Not sure if Capcom will turn it around.

The big surprise for me this month is the Xbox One being ~80,000 behind the PS4. I really thought with the Division push and the new price the XB1 would easily be number 1 this month.

Yup. I feel Nintendo is really having quite a nice time there. Not only its software is selling, 3ds also is doing quite good there as it performed better vs last year q1.

#Team98 man!

I'm 17. :p

Man u guys are young. I am 24 now and i feel old.TT

I'd like to know this as well! We'll love and marry you forever.

Yup cream give us some of ur great sight on how xenox perform.^~^

The numbers Mason??

Also PS4 software is crazy dominant. MS must be annoyed a lot of their marketing deal games sell more on PS4 and their bundles don't seem to move hardware much (barring insane price cuts)

I'm of the opinion that even with a fleshed out SP campaign, CPU modes etc for regular fighters, you wouldn't see an exceptional jump in sales.

It would've given capcom a better chance but they'd still be all but gone from this months NPD even with great word of mouth. Fighters are on their last legs as a genre unless you're MK or Smash Bros, maybe f2p is the way to go for some of these games even if it invites the nastiest of business practices.

Splatoon and SFV are similar in their release content wise.

I wonder why it worked for the former and didn't for the latter. Despite the brand advantage.

Shiggy

I wonder why it worked for the former and didn't for the latter. Despite the brand advantage.

The former was released by Nintendo on a platform with barely any other releases, the latter wasn't.

casiopao

Splatoon actually had quite good while a bit short single player campaign, there while the content for multiplayer is added like one week after release and done till now for almost 1 year now. I don't think it is in any way comparable.

The former was released by Nintendo on a platform with barely any other releases, the latter wasn't.

U love replying things that again and again had been proven wrong huh?

Let's not pretend that was the only difference. Splatoon had no expectations before release unlike the 5th main entry to a series and the 4th major retail release in the series in the past 5 years.

Splatoon had all its modes and even a single player campaign at launch. What was added was more weapons and maps. Those are a little less critical than say, a training mode or VS CPU option in a fighting game.

fernoca

I'd say the brand was the disadvantage.

Splatoon was brand new, so the only expectations it had to met were around how fun the game was and how well they handled the online components (map rotation, additions, etc.).

Street Fighter V had the previous four versions of SFIV to met for many...on top of the 30 years the series has been active. So for many even with (for some) tiny things like no penalties to rage quitters, then coupled with other decisions; it made a bad impression on them.

Splatoon had a full single player campaign at launch, rolled out substantial new content in a timely fashion, and didn't have a fraction of the technical issues that SFV had (and has). They aren't all that comparable.

Darius

Banned

Splatoon and Pokken actually have an extensive single-player mode. It also doesn´t hurt that you have no paywall to play online.

mo60

Splatoon really did not have any negative word of mouth before launch compared to SFV. As time went on after launch and more content released for it more people decided to buy the game to play with their friends or by themselves online. Social media and etc also helped a bit and made more people interested with the game while the word of mouth was really negative with SFV before it launched and it's still is really negative. Capcom made a lot of people angry before launch with their plans for the game while the opposite happened with Splatoon. Two things that are helping splatoon also are that their are no barriers to play that game online compared to SFV and it also is appealing to casuals.

This really has nothing to do with it.

- Splatoon is a new IP, so content expectations were different than an almost 30 year old franchise
- Splatoon had a solid single player component
- Nintendo started rolling out new content two days after the game launched
- Nintendo released a 30 minute Nintendo Direct specifically laying out, in great detail, the game's short and long term release strategy
- Amiibo
- Three Global Testfire demos for people to play before the game released (I think it might have actually been more, I can't recall).

Nintendo nailed Splatoon's launch and its success doesn't simply boil down to a light Wii U release schedule. If it did, every first party WiI U game of high quality would have sold millions of units.

OléGunner;201036620 said:
The numbers Mason??

Also PS4 software is crazy dominant. MS must be annoyed a lot of their marketing deal games sell more on PS4 and their bundles don't seem to move hardware much (barring insane price cuts)

I think its natural that as the gap between the PS4 and XB1 widens almost every single month, PS4 software sales will become more and more dominant.

What's the LTD hardware gap between the two now?

spekkeh

Banned
So the two contested third party exclusives, Tomb Raider and Street Fighter V are now 2 for 2 when it comes to booooooomba

Bomba,
Para bailar esto es una Bomba,
para gozar esto es una Bomba,
para menear esto es una Bomba,

casiopao

- Splatoon is a new IP, so content expectations were different than an almost 30 year old franchise
- Nintendo released a 30 minute Nintendo Direct specifically laying out, in great detail, the game's short and long term release strategy
- Amiibo
- Three Global Testfire demos for people to play before the game released (I think it might have actually been more, I can't recall).

Nintendo nailed Splatoon's launch and its success doesn't simply boil down to a light Wii U release schedule. If it did, every first party WiI U game of high quality would have sold millions of units.

This.^~^ Nintendo really nailed it on how to promote the game here. Even in japan, they collab with ika musume mangaka and many nico nico selebs to further promote the game.^~^

QaaQer

It's not a party it's reality.

A Spade is a Spade. A bomb is a bomb.

SalesGAF calls it like we see it.

"turd of a game" :eyeroll:

there is lots of joy at the disappointing numbers in these threads, just calling it as I see it.

This is something I completely have to disagree with.

SFV's art style shits over MKX's and did before even coming into conceptualization. Of course, I am saying this to someone who prefers manga/anime influenced art over comic book art.

I mean have you seen the nude mods ;)? Lawd have mercy.

lol. PC for the win!

I just mean sfv art doesn't have much mass appeal, not that it is worse than mkx or bad.

Now that I think about it, Sony's first party was very slow the first few years, so I guess it's par for the course for Sony. But the first few years of 360, Microsoft was kinda killing it. Here's what Microsoft published their first 3 years on the Xbox 360.

Retail
Kameo: Elements of Power
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3

Retail
Gears of War
Ninety-Nine Nights
Viva Piñata

Retail
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Forza Motorsport 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Project Gotham Racing 4
Project Sylpheed
Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action
Shadowrun
Tenchu Z
Viva Piñata: Party Animals
Xbox Live Arcade Compilation

Then Don Mattrick took over the Xbox division and completely restructured (IE Ruined) their first party production. Now compare that to what they've done during the same span on the Xbox One.

It's sad, 360 is probably my favorite console ever, and mainly because of those first few years.

But sorry to derail the thread.

Or you could blame the guy who was in charge of xboxes first party output since 2008?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Alright, my predictions.

- The Division around 2.5m, 1.32m on PS4, 1.18m on XB1.

Ouch. I knew i was too optmist, but i still hoped for way More...

Digital Sales must be damn insane for The Division.

- Zelda Twilight princess over 300K at retail.

Success! And my 400K predictions including digital which many thought was crazy must be Spot on too.

- Pokkén almost 250K at retail.

Close but it's tecnically just Over 250K. Even here, my >300K including digital must be Spot on.

- Mortal Kombat XL less than 100K

Huum, no numbers yet.

- Hyrule Warrios Legend less than 80K

72,000, so good This too.

Basically, i just overestimated The Division, The rest is pretty good. ;)

QaaQer

- Amiibo

+ grindy online shooters are the game du jour.

Oh shit, what The hell 3DS!?

I think we may have to come to terms with the idea that a handheld can exist in a smartphone world. :p

Top Bottom